Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3625 3626 [3627] 3628 3629 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787253 times)

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54390 on: December 10, 2019, 11:57:33 pm »

8 years later, and Boulderdwellings is STILL seeing fallout from the year-two weretortoise attack.

The last survivor of the most recent outbreak (possibly the same one that pissed off the humans) has been sitting in a walled-off cell for years, doing nothing but staring at the corpses of the other weres he killed. I needed to do something with him, so I made him a militia captain and sent him to raid the human hamlet that we were now at war with, maybe spread the curse to our enemies (actually hoping he would just be killed in the process).

First trip: fought the leader of the human town, smashed his big toe with a war hammer, then ran back home.
Second trip: Sneaked into town, stole a leather skirt. Came back home.
Third trip: Stole a leather thong. I... I think I had him locked up too long.

That wasn't working, so his next mission was to raid a goblin pit, 8 days travel from Boulderdwellings. A season passed, no word from Urist McWereTortoise. Two seasons. Three.
A year later, I get a goblin siege. ...Mission accomplished?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54391 on: December 11, 2019, 01:24:58 am »

Twist: both items are tortoise leather.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54392 on: December 11, 2019, 04:51:47 pm »

An invasion arrived and there was a fight. In the middle of that, one hammerdwarf apparently became confused. He fought both the invaders and any nearby dwarf, killing three friendlies before a troll bashed him in the head with some copper greaves. This dwarf had a "grim satisfaction" thought about having killed someone and the log showed more of his enjoyment with a type of message I haven't seen before:
`mHaSWea' Anamzunt�r, Hammerdwarf: `mHaSWea' Agedanvil killed `mMaSWvr' Workedsavants.  This is great!
`mHaSWea' Anamzunt�r, Hammerdwarf: `mHaSWea' Agedanvil killed `mAxSBCa' Longboot.  This is great!
`mHaSWea' Anamzunt�r, Hammerdwarf: `mHaSWea' Agedanvil killed `mAxSBow' Glazerhythm.  This is great!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54393 on: December 12, 2019, 12:04:52 am »

Started a new fort, and I'm a filthy cheater, so I use Dfhack reveal to survey my new location before I go planning elaborate designs only to hit a cavern. Looks like I'll be hitting HFS at z-level 83. There's a pit heading straight down from the 2nd cavern layer. *sigh
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54394 on: December 12, 2019, 01:30:43 pm »

Ok, so a dwarf is showing the *Pale* ailment. He got beat up a while back, received treatment and was cleaned with soap. He's not infected and his only other wound is torn tissue that didn't seem to heal after the attack. Any clue what's going on here?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54395 on: December 12, 2019, 04:33:51 pm »

Your dwarf (or other creature) has come close to death by blood loss. Pale/Pale (flashes between the two) means the dwarf (or other creature) has suffered from severe blood loss. Faint means the dwarf (or other creature) has suffered from moderate blood loss. No special status shows up for any milder blood loss. Dwarves, and indeed any other creature, can and will eventually replenish their blood amount enough for Pale/Pale to go to Faint, and for Faint to disappear entirely.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54396 on: December 12, 2019, 07:04:34 pm »

Well, that dwarf died. Never figured out why he had blood loss. It was a rough year for the fort overall. Two dwarves got scared by buzzards while on the fishing pier. Leaped into the lake which promptly froze over. Fortunately their bodies were recovered from the ice by miners.

Relicspread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54397 on: December 12, 2019, 07:10:39 pm »

I have been building  a rather respectable library. Embarked on the only patch of tropical swamp in the world in order to grow papyrus (it felt like the most proper sheet). Three employed scholars and more visiting from all over and my collection grew, it could however only ever be second best compared to the peaceful necromancers in the north.
   Five years of raids, most without causalities, except one in which several necromancers, maybe all, were killed, including a Gorlak :( However, all I ever got were (allegedly fantastic) texts about the tower, its residents, its founding, and books about the writing of the earlier books. The necromancer's library seemed endless and, given the choice, my soldiers would pick any one of the numerous texts, except the one that mattered (slabs are a lot heavier than quires so I get it). The only thing more endless is the Artifact list in the civ screen. Going through it took far to long, but now I finally possess the secrets of life and death! on a slab which I am pretty sure is unreadable in fortress mode :) Could have some fun with it in adventure mode though now that it is in a safe place.

Some unrelated notes:
I caught a bronze colossus in a cage trap (I thought all mega beasts could avoid them) almost as soon as it enter the map.
I got a queen in my fort almost immediately but never any lower nobles. Thankfully she mostly  demand backpacks.
The map is full of little pools were visitors seem to get stuck (but never drown). I think it has to do with the shifting water levels in this hot climate making them attempt to path through.
And as always, the dwarves are all awful at cleaning up after invading armies and now everyone is depressed from looking at corpses all day.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54398 on: December 12, 2019, 09:30:09 pm »

My entire steel-armored military had their spines shattered by a single GCS shaking them by the head one by one. No survivors. I already had two that had stumbled into cage traps, I didn't even need to send somebody after it. This is what I get for trying to rescue one of my slayers instead of leaving him to a glorious death in battle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54399 on: December 13, 2019, 05:23:41 am »

Well, that dwarf died. Never figured out why he had blood loss. It was a rough year for the fort overall. Two dwarves got scared by buzzards while on the fishing pier. Leaped into the lake which promptly froze over. Fortunately their bodies were recovered from the ice by miners.
Could have a vampire. Possibly also an FB syndrome.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54400 on: December 14, 2019, 08:54:18 pm »

In my recently started fort I got an adequate defense up and running, broke into the caverns etc.

Captured an Olm Woman Spearman and released her. It says she's hostile in the units tab, but she's just chilling in my barracks so...
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54401 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:00 pm »

Update on the olm woman: she has gone insane and is now repeatedly climbing in and out of my moat.
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54402 on: December 16, 2019, 03:08:17 pm »

Once I had a modded creature, frogo, sort of reptilian war animal, and it was a pet of a miner. I designed an underground arena to be dug out, but there was a cave-in incident and the miner died.

His faithful frogo watched over his corpse. Every day and night, it was just there, standing in the arena. I observed it. Once, it wasn't there. I found it in tavern, it probably just went for lunch, as it came back down immediately. And really, all the time, if it wasn't claiming a nest box in coop for eggs, it stood next to its dead owner. I think even after we buried him, the frogo was still returning to the arena. Curious.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54403 on: December 16, 2019, 05:22:03 pm »

Where you go, frogo.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54404 on: December 16, 2019, 06:02:38 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3625 3626 [3627] 3628 3629 ... 3835