Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3628 3629 [3630] 3631 3632 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5831347 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54435 on: December 29, 2019, 08:09:19 pm »

i embarked adjacent to an ocean. everything's going pretty well, except that a werepig showed up. it was quickly dispatched by the merchant guards, but not before biting my broker, who then took the fortress pop from twenty to i think five before he was contained. Also the dwarves decided to make mugs out of rock salt. I unloaded those onto the merchants.

I think this embark might be worthy of a megaproject, a massive stone castle overlooking the sea...

[edit] and then i accidentally flooded it :(
i also have a legendary armorsmith and NO IRON ANYWHERE >:(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:44:45 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54436 on: December 30, 2019, 08:28:26 pm »

Domasthob is doing alright. I've decided that I'll be building a subterranean minecart transport system to bring wood to the fortress gate. It will take some time, but it's already year 15 or something like that? Gotta plan for the long haul.

Recently, I fired the massively incompetent captain of the guard. I knew for a long time I would be replacing him, but I figured he'd go insane from stress before long. Turns out not so; he's content sulking around and being one of the most prolific criminals in the fort's history. The captain of the guard too! Several jail spells have not dissuaded him. Enough.

I've known who his replacement would be for quite some time now. Some dwarves just aren't cut out for life in Domasthob while others very much are. Erush Dodokokir was one of the old captain's subordinates, but massively more suited for the job. She takes glee in justice, and is apparently phased by nothing. In one such episode, while attempting to jail the captain for one of his numerous crimes, he punched off Erush's nose.

Well, she got retribution. When I went to select her as the replacement from the nobles menu, she was already at the top of the list. A "talented leader". Go figure. So he drops off the old captain in a jail cell, takes his title, and walks off triumphantly.

Since he won't go insane, the old captain will have to join a squad with some other bad apples to go seize territory elsewhere.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54437 on: January 03, 2020, 11:05:09 pm »

Another kid grew to adulthood, and is clearly a product of this fort....

- Is a nervous wreck
- Cracks easily under pressure
- Seeks out the most stressful and dangerous situation
- Finds humor in any situation
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54438 on: January 04, 2020, 06:04:45 am »

- Is a nervous wreck
sounds like PTSD to me.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54439 on: January 04, 2020, 10:22:57 pm »

- Is a nervous wreck
sounds like PTSD to me.

Fitting, for this game

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54440 on: January 05, 2020, 03:33:42 am »

I'm watching every year as the population of my civ goes lower and lower as the forces of darkness conquer what remains of this continent. They're winning most of the defensive battles, but still getting their sites conquered despite minimal losses. Unless I can find some way to seriously rig the missions in my favor, there'll be little I can do to help besides whether the storm of bodies upon my gates. Refugees keep creating new hillocks close by, so I'm enjoying a steady stream of recruits at least. Anyone happen to have any tips on how to better conquer a standard 100+ pop dark pits site when all of its residents are considered combatants? Better yet, any tips for reconquering the hillocks?

Also, has anyone else noticed that Legends under-represents the sieges a player faces? I'm getting sieges consisting of entire pit populations (which are then unpopulated after I annihilate the invaders, leaving undefended pits) but legends only reports the historical figures, so it shows up as only a hand-full of goblins attacking and losing, instead of 100+.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54441 on: January 05, 2020, 08:51:27 am »

I'm watching every year as the population of my civ goes lower and lower as the forces of darkness conquer what remains of this continent. They're winning most of the defensive battles, but still getting their sites conquered despite minimal losses. Unless I can find some way to seriously rig the missions in my favor, there'll be little I can do to help besides whether the storm of bodies upon my gates. Refugees keep creating new hillocks close by, so I'm enjoying a steady stream of recruits at least. Anyone happen to have any tips on how to better conquer a standard 100+ pop dark pits site when all of its residents are considered combatants? Better yet, any tips for reconquering the hillocks?

Also, has anyone else noticed that Legends under-represents the sieges a player faces? I'm getting sieges consisting of entire pit populations (which are then unpopulated after I annihilate the invaders, leaving undefended pits) but legends only reports the historical figures, so it shows up as only a hand-full of goblins attacking and losing, instead of 100+.

this sounds like a bug to me.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54442 on: January 05, 2020, 01:46:20 pm »

this sounds like a bug to me.
Just found it in mantis, it's been confirmed since 2014 with lots of duplicates: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6977

Well at least the problem is known. Post-worldgen wars are very weird.

Edit: I just had a forgotten beast die after fighting a few of the wandering beast hunters in the caverns. Maybe they're not so useless after all?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:15:34 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54443 on: January 06, 2020, 04:52:47 am »

I embarked in a mirthful forest a short distance away from a haunted ocean. Unicorns graze on bubble bulb and fluffy wamblers frolic among the feather trees as I sip my mug of sunshine. And yet, one of my alpacas went missing...and then my mayor was attacked by an alpaca corpse.

The haunted biome is up. There's reanimation in the trees--I think my alpaca got stuck in one and starved. Some probing reveals that the entire sky is a haunted biome, and everything on the ground and below is Mirthful.

This may make my plan to build an artificial lake with a giant floating castle on top of it more interesting.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54444 on: January 06, 2020, 12:36:27 pm »

The haunted biome is up.

That's... uncanny.  :o
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54445 on: January 08, 2020, 04:48:38 am »

My intention with this fort has been, from the very start, to build an artificial lake. Today I finished pouring the magma foundation of the paved rim of my swimming pool: a huge octagonal moat, 12 tiles wide, 168 tiles across. I built a bridge of steel blocks over it, rising in both directions, just to show off to any visitors that I had steel to burn. (Seriously, I accidentally forgot to add in one workflow limit and accidentally made 150 masterpiece steel maces, and it hasn't severely affected my stock.) Then, just as I was starting to build the form for pouring the water to obsidianize the ring, the siege hit, and my confidence in my plans is severely shaken.

I don't wanna give this up! I accidentally built the most fun goblin destroyer I've ever had! I just wait until the first of a pack of them sets foot on the bridge, then give the order to pull the lever, and--

BOING!

SPLASH!

SIZZLE!

Honestly, it's a thing of beauty. It's not like an atom smasher, where they just disappear. You get to see every excruciating detail, and there's no cleanup except for when the military mops up the few that get flung inside the ring and get stunned. Then I just lower the drawbridge again, and wait for the next batch of suckers. Seriously, how am I supposed to give this up, even to build my beautiful, placid castle on the water?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54446 on: January 10, 2020, 04:11:05 am »

Today I finished pouring the obsidian, smoothed it, and started digging out my artificial lake. But because it's a thick forest, I didn't want to bother chopping down all those trees. So I didn't.

Spoiler: "Kaboom." (click to show/hide)

Things are a little bit wonky now, though. There are bee colonies literally still hanging in the air. I keep getting additional cave-ins out of nowhere. Some of the cave-ins scatter dust two z-levels above where the ground used to be, which makes me wonder if it's remnants of trees.

What really has me curious is whether or not this counts toward elf diplomacy. Do they count trees and then count again when they come back? Or do they actually watch how many you cut down, and how many logs you get thereby? I wouldn't be worried about slaughtering elves, but I do like the giant lions and elephants they bring me, and I really, really hate revealing 50 ambush parties one by one.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54447 on: January 10, 2020, 02:37:32 pm »

This looks like it's gonna be great.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #54448 on: January 10, 2020, 05:53:37 pm »

In one of my recent sessions, a werebuffalo attacked my fort. I can't hate him entirely--he did attack the two elf merchants currently visiting (we're now at war with the elves, and got some nice animals to keep and junk to trade, so there's that) but he did kill the husband of one of my original 7.

I'm thinking she'll for sure she'll have a tantrum or go berserk. Instead, she gets a mood, and turns out a green zircon chain, declares it an heirloom, and dedicates it to her lost love. Said chain now has a place of honor in my hospital's well.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54449 on: January 11, 2020, 01:29:08 am »

So I guess I'm going to have to go back in time. It looks like I've run afoul of this bug, which is going all kinds of crazy. I've got tiles full of "muddy open space." I've got a tree levitating in the air. I'm getting 20-30 cave-ins a month. It's just not sustainable.

It's kinda FUN though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:28:57 am by doublestrafe »
Pages: 1 ... 3628 3629 [3630] 3631 3632 ... 3836