Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3629 3630 [3631] 3632 3633 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787910 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54450 on: January 11, 2020, 01:35:30 pm »

@doublestrafe
If your dwarfs are not being hurt, you could turn off the pop-up announcement for cave-ins and work to keep your dwarfs out of the area for a couple of seasons to see what happens. The mud is just a contaminant so it will probably go away after some rain hits the area.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54451 on: January 11, 2020, 03:02:32 pm »

@doublestrafe
If your dwarfs are not being hurt, you could turn off the pop-up announcement for cave-ins and work to keep your dwarfs out of the area for a couple of seasons to see what happens. The mud is just a contaminant so it will probably go away after some rain hits the area.
I thought about it, but even though it's not the crushing kind of cave-in, it still knocks dwarves around and stuns them, and that's just not something I want happening right over a giant artificial lake.

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54452 on: January 12, 2020, 12:59:30 am »

The caravan had just left when one of my dwarves mooded and claimed a smithy, demanding, among other things, silk cloth, which I don't have... it's now summer and I've been stringing him along by forbidding his gemstones. I'm going to let him have all of them once I've bought some silk and see how long the description ends up - he's got a dozen already since I'm being cautious and forcing him to grab another every couple weeks. Fingers crossed for something interesting!
edit: Aww, I guess that got patched out. He only kept two of them. Still, an artifact steel morningstar is pretty nifty.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:22:54 am by carnivorn »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54453 on: January 12, 2020, 09:53:37 am »

The caravan had just left when one of my dwarves mooded and claimed a smithy, demanding, among other things, silk cloth, which I don't have... it's now summer and I've been stringing him along by forbidding his gemstones. I'm going to let him have all of them once I've bought some silk and see how long the description ends up - he's got a dozen already since I'm being cautious and forcing him to grab another every couple weeks. Fingers crossed for something interesting!
edit: Aww, I guess that got patched out. He only kept two of them. Still, an artifact steel morningstar is pretty nifty.
open up the caverns and have them collect spiderwebs and hope he doesnt want GCS-silk.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54454 on: January 13, 2020, 09:01:24 pm »

@carnivorn: ...Nice, that's pretty much best possible morningstar.
The haunted biome is up.

That's... uncanny.  :o
Uncanny to you, maybe. Sky being evil and ground good makes perfect sense to dwarves, both due RP and due being pretty common when embarking near evil.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54455 on: January 14, 2020, 03:29:44 am »

I may end up abandoning this fort because I've got no visitors, no hillocks, and raiding...just doesn't work. I managed to get one dwarven dark pit, but everything else fails in buggy ways. I've got too many dwarves lost in limbo.

I did see a goblin snatcher for the first time since .40 happened. That was cool.

Had a wereiguana attack, which was quickly chopped to bits. The bits were the interesting part, though: somebody hacked off his right upper arm, which went flying up into the reanimating sky. Pretty soon it came back, and started kicking dwarf butt. By kicking. Somehow. Until my axedwarf cut off its...head. Because upper arms have heads. Apparently.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54456 on: January 14, 2020, 12:28:32 pm »

DF Bloodline 3 - Year 100, (#1) Fortress: Northguard

Setting: You are the founders of Northguard, a new site of The Blotted Wall dwarven government.   
The land is named The Distant Field, and your neighbors are Elves and hostile Goblins.   
It is a temperate shrubland of both wilderness and untamed wilds.   
The earth prospects: Granite, Gabbro, Bauxite, Magnetite, Tin, Gold, and Silver.   

You were all born in 86, and it is Year 100.
You will all most likely remain underground.
There will be a a roofed building on the surface for trade and entry.   

Northguard population: 19 founders.

In no particular ranking order, by the 2nd month, there are 9 couples, and a single dwarf. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone is named Snow (as in bastards of the North, in Game of Thrones). 

My idea is to set these to be the "main" families and have babies by month 12. 

So I will need to come up with family names other than "Starks".

It is month 8. 

Before the Year 100 ends, Northguard will be retire. 

The next fort will be founded with a one-year plan or theme. 

LadySerpentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54457 on: January 15, 2020, 09:01:58 am »

I think something may have screwed up slightly in this reclaim. I knew there was a Forgotten Beast here - it's what wrecked the fort in worldgen - but I don't think it's supposed to be quite like this...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54458 on: January 15, 2020, 12:48:51 pm »

I think something may have screwed up slightly in this reclaim. I knew there was a Forgotten Beast here - it's what wrecked the fort in worldgen - but I don't think it's supposed to be quite like this...

Isn't that how forgotten beasts and megabeasts show up when you embark on their home? I've seen that with them before, they're labeled Current Resident. Or is there something else I'm missing?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54459 on: January 15, 2020, 04:52:52 pm »

They are labelled "uninvited guest" when they turn up in a regular fortresses, so this is working as intended. Your Dwarves are the invaders.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:54:45 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54460 on: January 15, 2020, 08:49:45 pm »

A were-elephant arrived !

and transformed back into a human and drowned in a pond before harming any citizens.

???

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54461 on: January 17, 2020, 04:22:58 pm »

I see now. The fur makes the difference. That's why weremammoths are so stealthy. The cloaking capability is tied to the fur. (scribbles notes furiously)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54462 on: January 17, 2020, 04:41:58 pm »

Were-elephants are both the best and worst possible candidate for a were-creature proliferation program. Also shame on you for not putting safety fences around your ponds, letting innocent night creatures die like that D;

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54463 on: January 17, 2020, 08:25:11 pm »

I may end up abandoning this fort because I've got no visitors, no hillocks, and raiding...just doesn't work. I managed to get one dwarven dark pit, but everything else fails in buggy ways. I've got too many dwarves lost in limbo.

I did see a goblin snatcher for the first time since .40 happened. That was cool.

Had a wereiguana attack, which was quickly chopped to bits. The bits were the interesting part, though: somebody hacked off his right upper arm, which went flying up into the reanimating sky. Pretty soon it came back, and started kicking dwarf butt. By kicking. Somehow. Until my axedwarf cut off its...head. Because upper arms have heads. Apparently.

It's the worst when you discover years-in that your location is inexplicably isolated from the rest of civilization. It's probably the biggest buzzkill in the game and I hope it gets some resolution in the next version.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54464 on: January 19, 2020, 11:30:27 pm »

I'm stupidly stubborn but a combination of inexplicably low fps, a decade-long tantrum spiral slowly worsening, one wave of migrants in 6 years (combine with the tantrum spiral and casualties and this sucker's gonna die anyway), a civil war preventing trade with my home civ and migrants and such, and sheer, absolute boredom have me ready to discard my best fort so far.
NOTE: for whatever reason, I cannot make DFHack work in any way, shape, or form so the direct solution to 98% of my problems is unavailable.

One can only hope that a patch in the future will make it possible for civil wars to end so I can resume using that fortress to finish conquering the world.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.
Pages: 1 ... 3629 3630 [3631] 3632 3633 ... 3835