Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3631 3632 [3633] 3634 3635 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843727 times)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54480 on: January 22, 2020, 03:16:03 am »

I just started a thriving little fort with a population that hit 40 then a single werekangaroo brought it down to 7 uninfected and 2 quarantined infected. Over the course of six months, two migrant waves, and one dead liaison. I'm incredibly lucky that there was a monthly werekangaroo battle royale, since my fort has had only two qualified soldiers with decent equipment.

Is this common fare for extremely savage areas or just unlucky?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Torla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54481 on: January 22, 2020, 03:18:33 am »

I expelled certain ware-lizards from my fort at some time. Then, years later, i requested some workers to a newly founded hillock.  The worker turned out to be the were-lizards that i expelled that have immigrated to the new holding. Most of the fort was killed. Next time I'll nickname them "BAD" before  sending them away.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54482 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:03 am »

Found one of my citizens has the mannerism of:
"When he gets excited he often tells stories without any real point."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54483 on: January 22, 2020, 12:06:57 pm »

Can you tell us one of these stories?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54484 on: January 22, 2020, 12:13:36 pm »

Slowly getting started on Bloodline Fort #2, Bridgeburn

Started with 16 dwarfs this time, and coincidentally, 8 males and 8 females. 

However, I plan to set 6 civilians to run the fort, and 10 military squad. 
I am also basing the squad from The Malazan Empire series, Bridgeburner squad. 

3 current female dwarfs should be males. 
So I ran a transform-dwarf script and it did not seem to work at first. 
After a save and reloading later, I notice the script worked because that one female is not male and with a gender orientation of men 2, female 0. 

I will need to train 2 knife users for my assassins, so I plan to create-item a couple of steel knives. 

My next fort will most likely be a similar theme because there are plenty other characters in the Bridgeburner squad. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54485 on: January 22, 2020, 03:52:49 pm »

I just started a thriving little fort with a population that hit 40 then a single werekangaroo brought it down to 7 uninfected and 2 quarantined infected. Over the course of six months, two migrant waves, and one dead liaison. I'm incredibly lucky that there was a monthly werekangaroo battle royale, since my fort has had only two qualified soldiers with decent equipment.

Is this common fare for extremely savage areas or just unlucky?
It's extremely common for any world with a decent amount of history and quantity of civilisations. It's easy to greatly reduce the impact of rogue were-creatures by minimising Dwarf exposure to the surface world (outside of protected areas anyways), as well as having some kind of sentries over the surface world (guard towers sealed off from the surface, accessible only from towers inside your fort are ideal. Animal sentries are also cheap and disposable, and can be placed in towers or in the surface). Once spotted most were-creatures just run away, but if they are spotted inside your fortress or near a lone fisherdwarf/lumberdwarf, there's going to be blood

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54486 on: January 23, 2020, 03:07:13 am »

After my previous fort fell to the greedy digging for blue metal, new fort was established to the far end of same slime-riddled tundra. Second year a blast from the past arrived to haunt the fledgling fort- a werewolf mayor had somehow escaped both clowns and his confinement. He casually shredded few newcomers and then turned tail. Currently struggling with need to cut down several trees and fever/blood vomit inducing slime, and caravans turning back as soon as some  sludge rains.

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54487 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:07 am »

After my previous fort fell to the greedy digging for blue metal, new fort was established to the far end of same slime-riddled tundra. Second year a blast from the past arrived to haunt the fledgling fort- a werewolf mayor had somehow escaped both clowns and his confinement. He casually shredded few newcomers and then turned tail. Currently struggling with need to cut down several trees and fever/blood vomit inducing slime, and caravans turning back as soon as some  sludge rains.

Have you thought about building a road out to the edge the caravans usually come from and then making a covering over it to your depot?
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54488 on: January 23, 2020, 09:09:36 am »

Can you tell us one of these stories?

"This one time when I was mining, I came across this very interesting siltstone boulder. I was surprised to come across such a specimen, even after all these years of mining. I said to my mining partner 'Hey, look at this' and he looked over and agreed that it was indeed a fine specimen. Now the thing about the boulder is, and this is why it was so interesting and why my buddy agreed, the thing about the boulder was, that it was exactly the shape of a boulder. Exact in every way. A boulder-shaped boulder. Imagine that!"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54489 on: January 23, 2020, 10:29:29 am »

In my project to mimic a squad from The Malazan Empire, I was able to successfully apply transform-unit script to change the gender of 3 dwarfs from female to male.  And followed by set-orientation. 

Next task, fastdwarf to dig rooms.  But I end up spending time to smooth floors also.  One of the drawback for this is that my layout looks similar to Fortress #1. 
If I'm going to do this 50 more times, I will need to dig a variety of designs to break the habit.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54490 on: January 24, 2020, 06:57:20 pm »

Have you thought about building a road out to the edge the caravans usually come from and then making a covering over it to your depot?

They are coming, slowly but surely. In fact I dug pathways to common entrypoints, and am currently digging for freezing traps in case of invasions. ATM I am mass-exiling those ingrateful bums who don't adapt to relatively spartan way of living, since caverns are no go zones due few webbing FBs and living animals on surface a rarity, food is pretty one-sided. I am going for a web farm eventually but am lacking an immortal target.

Should have spared one werewolf, would have been better than nothing.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54491 on: January 24, 2020, 11:02:01 pm »

Im starting a demon hunters fort. The surface will consist of three circular sub fortresses in the form of the unholy trinity sigils of the goetica. Lucifer, leviathan, and belial. Then each Z-layer will be built as one of the 72 sigils for the goetic demons, straight down into hell. The entire fortress will be dedicated to containing, killing, and invading hell.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54492 on: January 26, 2020, 07:44:40 am »

Im starting a demon hunters fort. The surface will consist of three circular sub fortresses in the form of the unholy trinity sigils of the goetica. Lucifer, leviathan, and belial. Then each Z-layer will be built as one of the 72 sigils for the goetic demons, straight down into hell. The entire fortress will be dedicated to containing, killing, and invading hell.
Dude, you need a GF.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54493 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:41 am »

That sounds badass, and I curious to see how successful it turns out. Once you've established a foothold into hell, do you have any plan to send an adventurer down there? Are you aiming for demon genocide, or do you plan to use them in any way?
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54494 on: January 26, 2020, 04:46:33 pm »

CraftRiddle has taken a page from Kruggsmash and I have decided on a month where most jobs and military training has been turned off.  Not sure this 'Spring Break' is helping with stress as most of the populace seem to be using the time to sleep, eat, drink, and haul.  But I guess that is better then breaking stuff, starting fights, and punching pigs.   ???
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 3631 3632 [3633] 3634 3635 ... 3836