Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3635 3636 [3637] 3638 3639 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789173 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54540 on: February 04, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »

Dwarves diving in a river? Declare war in the scallops! They are behind this.
(I would have linked to a video but I couldn’t find the part where the scallops were mentioned)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54541 on: February 06, 2020, 08:26:16 am »

Oh, crikey.
This fort has been slowly falling apart for quite some time, since my main goal was to dig out this big impressive tower/castle from the rock with a chasm around it and as such I didn't pay too much attention to other, more temporary concerns.
Unfortunately I screwed up my semi-megaproject beyond repair, so I cobbled together a really crude little mini-fort up on the northern edge of the map and my dwarves divided their time between that and the outbuildings from the intended castle.

I'd been meaning to retire this shambolic excuse for a fortress for a while, but I always got sidetracked dealing with something else. Just when I was about convinced that it was time to leave these poor dwarves to their own devices and start anew, a Vile Force of Darkness arrived.
Uh oh.

Looking at the attackers with the game paused, though, their force didn't seem too threatening. A couple of goblins, an elf... yeah, even my cruddy makeshift military could probably take them on, I thought. I stationed my two melee squads sort-of in the centre of the shacks and hovels near the abandoned construction site, with the tavern between them and the invaders. (I also intended for the militia commander - a skilled marksdwarf in a squad of her own since I hadn't got around to training or equipping any others - to be positioned nearby to fire on them as they advanced, but the lazy b**** decided it was a good time to go update her outfit on the other side of the map. Probably a prudent move on her part, as it turns out...)   

As they came slowly towards us, a few more attackers filed onto the map behind them, and my heart skipped a beat - an ampersand!   

Tl;dr: seemingly underwhelming goblin raiding party brought their much-tougher friends and swiftly stomped the absolute bejeezus out of my unsuspecting dwarven rabble just as things were looking like they might work out in our favour.    

I actually feel kinda bad for the visitors showing up to visit this tavern they'd apparently heard good things about, only to find themselves wading through piles of splattered corpses to find the doors locked tight from the inside - and that's if they're lucky and don't catch the attention of it!   

Edit: after saving everyone by digging the aforementioned tunnel, said miner (my favourite surviving dwarf by far) decided to just wander out in the open and get inevitably killed, even ignoring my orders when I drafted him and told him to gtfo. Ugh. I wish there was a way to actually restrict dwarves to their burrows!   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:53:59 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54542 on: February 06, 2020, 07:11:52 pm »

Baby #2 has entered the fort, this time from my militia commander who will spend the next year in the food stockpile/maternity ward.

Also have a miner who is spending all their time in the temple praying to various gods and things. Unfortunately, the other miners are busy producing a very large order of stone blocks, so they aren't digging either.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54543 on: February 06, 2020, 07:56:59 pm »

Christ almighty, Female Dwarves just won’t stop giving birth. One of them claimed a Workshop and started a mood, but the Baby’s pathfinding has forced Her to wander around the Fortress aimlessly. This is something You’d expect out of 40k for God’s sake.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54544 on: February 06, 2020, 11:00:16 pm »

Christ almighty, Female Dwarves just won’t stop giving birth. One of them claimed a Workshop and started a mood, but the Baby’s pathfinding has forced Her to wander around the Fortress aimlessly. This is something You’d expect out of 40k for God’s sake.

Walp, glad I didn't start a new fort yet.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54545 on: February 07, 2020, 02:21:32 am »

Caught an elf trying to steal an artifact mug. Already had a goblin poet steal a different artifact. So I trapped her in and ordered the army to kill her. They did. Now they're killing each other too. Apparently killing her started a loyalty cascade. The fighting is in the food stockpile. If I isolate them, everyone will starve.

Which doesn't mean much, it's all been going to hell regardless. An elf dancer or something turned into a werebuffalo, bit a couple people got bit. I locked them up. They killed each other. The survivor still wont move from the same tile in the hospital room he's locked in. He's going to be the only survivor.

There was another werebeast that got smashed in a drawbridge. Another dancer transformed into a werebeast a month later, but thankfully there were no successful bites.

Oh shit I forgot I never let that guy out of the cell.

Oh well, everyone else has been going insane or joining this loyalty cascade.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54546 on: February 07, 2020, 03:16:04 am »

Even though my only tavern was closed to Visitors, I got a few of them, presumably to steal our only artifact; a cobaltite crown with cobaltite cabochons. It got stolen by a kea instead, the bastard.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54547 on: February 07, 2020, 03:30:48 am »

Even though my only tavern was closed to Visitors, I got a few of them, presumably to steal our only artifact; a cobaltite crown with cobaltite cabochons. It got stolen by a kea instead, the bastard.
Are you sure they aren't monster hunters?
No Visitors should produce no visitors. (Monster hunters are attracted by you caverns, not your tavern/temple).

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54548 on: February 07, 2020, 03:45:24 am »

My current test fort got its first invasion.  It's a peace-loving civilization, fond of tranquility and romance, and the goblins were obviously expecting to find panicked civilians and a desperate militia with a few mining picks and felling axes.  Instead, they met Sanera - a lone woman waiting at the gate; human sized, but with skin as green as their own; stark naked, and carrying a matched pair of ≡steel short swords≡.  She's as peaceful by inclination as the the other urluns, wanting only to live an easy life raising her family, with an interesting book once in a while and plenty of strawberries.  But she and her husband appreciate swordfighting as an art and have attained legendary skill at it.  However reluctant she was to kill, she went through the invading squad before the rest of the militia could catch up.  I also had a pair of dwarven mercenaries on hand, but didn't need to send them into danger.  They need a lot more training before they're ready for the front line, but their willingness to wear armor should make them useful in the long run.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54549 on: February 07, 2020, 06:07:22 am »

No Visitors should produce no visitors. (Monster hunters are attracted by you caverns, not your tavern/temple).
Nope. Bards all.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54550 on: February 07, 2020, 06:33:37 am »

Nope. Bards all.
Interesting. First Visitors release had this bug. Might be a regression.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54551 on: February 07, 2020, 07:02:30 am »

New update, new World, new Fortress, and my Civ has 42 Gods. I have very mixed feelings about this.

A large Humanoid with overlapping oval scales and three long hanging tails just showed up beat the shit out of my Dog and is now destroying my metalsmith’s forge, all the while technically xounting as a wild animal, qnd I have no military and only just noticed this. It hasn’t gone for my Dwarves yet, but that’s a big Yet with a capital Y and an unconvincing smile.

After recovering the anvil from the forge, I’ve walled it into the forge room while it breaks apart the unfinished smelter. I hope it’s happy.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:15:15 am by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54552 on: February 07, 2020, 02:57:24 pm »

Think that 47.01 fort is done for. After the loyalty Cascade finally wound down we had only 40 dwarves left out of 65. Then I accidentally let a bunch of captured necromancer's, giants, cyclopes etc out of their cages and that took out another 10 before the last of them finally died. Two of the slain dwarves got resurrected as intelligent undead by the necromancer's but they're in the hospital still. And fucking elf and goblin poets and dancers and shit keep stealing my artifacts. As did one.of our siege mechanics. Just waltzed over to the map edge in the caverns with it. Captain of the guard is going insane so that's not going to get investigated properly anytime soon.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #54553 on: February 07, 2020, 02:59:02 pm »

If your fortress was unpaused when you created the tavern, this is pretty typical (for me, anyway). A few instantly set off to your fortress in the few ticks it is a valid location. If they keep arriving after it's closed to visitors and the previous ones are settled or have left, then there's a problem.

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54554 on: February 08, 2020, 09:51:10 am »

In the second year of my fort I’m up to 100 population and 4 squads.  Unfortunately only two squads are equipped properly or even trained.  A mountain titan in the form of a giant hairy scorpion arrived and tore a few animals apart, then murdered a depressed fisher dwarf who didn’t obey my burrow command.  I stationed all 4 squads behind my drawbridge, planning to bait the titan onto the bridge and then drop it onto to spikes waiting below.

My dwarves had other plans and charged across the bridge in a fit of bravery.  An unassuming axedwarf  “Loduk” did incredible damage, slicing and crushing most of its legs, before his buddy cut it in half with a sword.  The axedwarf only received a tiny sting for his efforts, only a bruise.  With the titan slain, the militia disbanded and went to clean themselves off.  But Loduk decided to skip cleaning himself off in favor of sleep.  After the various bits, Ichor  and viscera were cleaned up, I scrolled down to the bedrooms to check on Loduk.  There was a random trail of blood that started in the hallway and led into his bed, where all that remained was a pool of blood and all of his clothes.  Did he... melt?  Is it possible for a venom to leave no trace of his corpse?  Poor Loduk.  His tomb will rival that of kings.
Pages: 1 ... 3635 3636 [3637] 3638 3639 ... 3835