Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3642 3643 [3644] 3645 3646 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789280 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54645 on: February 21, 2020, 07:07:14 pm »

Had a Wereape show up to my completely defenseless fort in my third year. I start panicking, thinking I'm going to have an absolute disaster on my hands with multiple dead/infected dwarves and causing a massive stress problem (although I will say that my dwarves are way happier in 47.03 than in any fort I did in v44). Before it could do much though, a human crossbowman visitor who was on their way out ran into it, and held it off long enough that the only other casualty was a random guineahen. Sadly, the crossbowman died in the struggle, but soon after his valiant death the Wereape transformed back into a dwarf, and proceeded to be pummeled to death by ~5 random citizens (and a shockingly vicious peahen). Wanted to give him a proper burial, but sadly he wasn't a citizen so his corpse is just sitting in the corpse stockpile  :'(
Spoiler: Peahen Combat Logs (click to show/hide)

Also had a minor incident where a completely peaceful Troll walked up from the caverns into my fort without me noticing. Nobody was harmed aside from mild bruising/scratches/etc., and the troll was (slowly) put down from many civilians walking near where it showed up. Besides the dwarves however, there was also a cat that joined in the fighting who shook the Troll around by it's head 28 times. Something tells me I should be afraid of the animals living in my fort.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54646 on: February 21, 2020, 09:29:28 pm »

Guests are getting weirder as time goes on.
Human merchant, naked but for a single minotaur horn earring. Oh, and what's this? Just the local gorlak ranger necromancer. Hmm.

And, damn, someone's stolen my artifact boot. No-one's noticed yet.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54647 on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:43 pm »

Apparently at some point, one of my dwarves turned into a Necromancer? I have absolutely 0 idea how this happened, I'm pretty sure it must have happened in the first few weeks of the Year 4 Winter, and they were even one of my starting 7. Never had a Necromancer dwarf before in a fort, so looking forward to !!FUN!!

EDIT: 2 more of my dwarves are Necromancers now, and I new visitor is one too. This will be interesting
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:42:32 pm by nimbus25 »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54648 on: February 21, 2020, 11:49:24 pm »

Apparently at some point, one of my dwarves turned into a Necromancer? I have absolutely 0 idea how this happened, I'm pretty sure it must have happened in the first few weeks of the Year 4 Winter, and they were even one of my starting 7. Never had a Necromancer dwarf before in a fort, so looking forward to !!FUN!!

EDIT: 2 more of my dwarves are Necromancers now, and I new visitor is one too. This will be interesting
Do you have any interesting books in your library?

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54649 on: February 22, 2020, 12:00:41 am »

Do you have any interesting books in your library?

I checked and couldn't find anything, a visitor Necromancer does have a book about the secrets of life and death though, but I could have sworn they showed up after the first dwarf became a necromancer.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54650 on: February 22, 2020, 06:15:05 am »

Apparently, not only can undead lieutenants come to your fort as migrants, they can also get married to each other.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Four of them just showed up in the first migrant wave. They all have decent fighting skills. At this rate, I'll be able to create a military squad made up entirely of lieutenants. I wonder what the advantages of that would be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54651 on: February 22, 2020, 06:34:22 am »

Apparently, not only can undead lieutenants come to your fort as migrants, they can also get married to each other.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Four of them just showed up in the first migrant wave. They all have decent fighting skills. At this rate, I'll be able to create a military squad made up entirely of lieutenants. I wonder what the advantages of that would be.

Assuming it's similar across the board, they come packing some magic abilities depending on the type (the rotten zombies in Fireblade's world seem to be able to inflict dizziness, brief paralysis, and mild pain/nausea, going from the reports,) They aren't susceptible to nerve damage, possibly blood loss (unlike ghouls who are,) pain, or exhaustion, and they're retardedly strong (able to punch through steel using silver morningstars for example.) They also aren't subject to the agility penalties of regular undead

The only injury that seems to inconvenience them is broken bones. But, this is just the ones in my own world. Should make a separate copy of your game and stress test them in battle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54652 on: February 22, 2020, 07:08:26 am »

Cute! You have your own happy family of recovering necro experiments

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54653 on: February 22, 2020, 12:51:44 pm »

Goblins conquered an elven forest retreat near my fort...and economically linked themselves to me. I'm only a year in, and haven't gotten sieged yet, so I'm guessing that no contact is close enough to peace that they can do that. Not sure whether it counts for barony, though.

My embark had candy out in the open in cavern 3, and within a year I had a ☼1M+ artifact spear, so I'm not counting on peace lasting long.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54654 on: February 22, 2020, 02:04:29 pm »

I've got bog standard, non-spy artifact hunters looking for my toy boat, Prairiequick. Whoever heard about it must want it desperately if they've given up on subterfuge. Well they can't have it. MY dude made it, he offered it to my government, so legally only the acting mayor (recently elected) has any right to it.

Speaking of, we've finally held an election, and Oak, the once-perpetually stressed sheriff, is now mayor (probably from training up his skills as an interrogator. He's also now in charge of his very own unit, which needs to have equipment made and issued. I'm thinking a bunch of mace and hammermen. Those are kind of underrepresented in my military's variety of killing implements (only one hammerdwarf and two macedwarves in a currently 27 member militia.)

I've lost Thikut the papermaker turned potter to madness, the stresses of his own poor social skills, being imprisoned three times, starting fights, seeing two goblins drink themselves to death, and inability to get something out of a box having left him stark raving mad in prison.

I also need to assign a dungeon master I guess? If only to have one even if he doesn't do anything.

Gibbon, the other perpetually stressed dwarf, is also now destressed for the most part. Thank the gods for military service. And speaking of military service, I sent a raid out to nearby kobold cave! Not only did they sneak in and remain undetected, but my men successfully retrieved two artifact weapons rumored to be there. The Glad Tundra, an artifact iron warhammer, and Hustlerooter, The Shaken Shields - a willow longsword used to kill a minotaur in the year 82 (the owner of which died in 83.) Assuming the kobolds came into possession not long after, they could have had this weapon in their cave for more than 160 years.

Oak is likely to receive the hammer as a badge of office, while sword - being militarily useless - will make a fine historical addition to the museum.

Goblins conquered an elven forest retreat near my fort...and economically linked themselves to me. I'm only a year in, and haven't gotten sieged yet, so I'm guessing that no contact is close enough to peace that they can do that. Not sure whether it counts for barony, though.

My embark had candy out in the open in cavern 3, and within a year I had a ☼1M+ artifact spear, so I'm not counting on peace lasting long.

Forget a baron, you're liable to get the monarch showing up early.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54655 on: February 22, 2020, 04:42:06 pm »

Whimoils is nearing the end of its second year. This is the first fort that I've started in like 4 years. It's set up near goblins and necromancers, both of which have come onto the map and then left the next tick, to my disappointment. I also dealt with a few werebeasts and forgotten beasts, but that's the extent of the Fun here.

I've taken to interrogating every visitor that comes on to the map. Most of the time they're exactly what I say, but I just found a dwarf who was plotting to overthrow the fort and steal our artifacts.

I'm also the proud owner of a vampire for the first time since like 0.34. He ate a dwarf, but I put him in his own little sub-fort open to the surface. I've dubbed the place The Pit and I'm going to throw in dwarves that anger me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54656 on: February 22, 2020, 10:40:37 pm »

Damn humans have been attacking me too much recently and their body parts are beginning to stress out the dorfs. Something must be done.

Starting small I pick a small human hamlet, population less than 10 and send my crossbow gang to raze the place. Wrong choice. It seems that this particular hamlet's population consists of a tactical mastermind necromancer and his friend the gorlak necromancer (who I think came to visit my tavern recently).

Dorfs all returned home safely after being beaten up by the two necros. Not sure whether to escalate and send out some real soldiers, or forget it and get back to human baiting.

(Report mentions that the damn gorlak smashed my militia captain's head. I guess it must have hid in a tree with a big rock. Captain seems OK. He's back to work. Are raid injuries working properly?).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:44:38 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Uristo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54657 on: February 23, 2020, 02:42:11 am »

Miner/Expedition Leader had a Strange Mood, claimed a workshop but needed silk tread which I didn't have. Ignored her.
She eventually went Berserk!, ran into the dormitory and attacked a dwarven child, decapitating her with a copper pick. :(
Horrified, I sent both my legendary speardwarves to kill her. The dwarf who killed the miner immediately claimed the vacant position of expedition leader.
Looking at relationships within the fortress, it seems the slain child's parents were both recent farmer/peasant immigrants to the fort. She was their only daughter, and moved with them. They are experiencing emotional shock.

I don't know what to say.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54658 on: February 23, 2020, 05:26:53 am »

Tell them that it was just a miner accident.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54659 on: February 23, 2020, 05:43:10 am »

Oh, just noticed that the lever to close the drawbridge is missing. Well that's just tremendous. There was a building destroyer experiment visitor hanging out nearby but I thought I'd dealt with it before it did any damage (military quietly killed it while it was admiring the armour stands in the barracks).

And there's been some tantrums. I guess one of them is to blame. I'm almost positive Toady hasn't reached the "evil remove the lever plot" part of the villains release arc.

And a dwarf just hauled a big lump of rock salt to the ammunition stockpile and dropped it there. Yeah, the fortress is slowly going insane...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:52:58 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 3642 3643 [3644] 3645 3646 ... 3835