Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3650 3651 [3652] 3653 3654 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5837196 times)

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54765 on: March 19, 2020, 01:37:16 pm »

My fort just got hit by its first attack: a cyclops wielding an artifact copper mace. I only really have a token military at this point, composed mostly of migrants who happened to arrive with some combat skills. Included in that category is a pair of necromancers. And as foolish as that is, just this once, it worked out in my favor.

2 recruits were the first to respond. They were promptly crushed. The militia commander, a competent swordsdwarf who arrived shortly thereafter, met a similar fate. Then came the necromancer. The cyclops had already charged away from the dead dwarves, so no, the necromancer did not raise his fallen comrades to rejoin the fight. No, what the necromancer did, as he and the cyclops met in battle just over the refuse pile, was raise a bunch of sheep wool that I'd forgotten about.

But for whatever reason, the sheep wool was hostile to the necromancer and immediately attacked him. Which caused him to enter a martial trance just as he started fighting the cyclops. The cyclops couldn't get in a single hit and the necromancer's strikes landed with unprecedented precision. The very moment I saw in the combat report that the necromancer's spear had pierced the cyclops's heart, I took the entire squad off duty, fearing that either this necromancer or the other one might try to raise it. As soon as it bled out, I had its body dumped in the volcano just to be sure.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:39:37 pm by Vicious_Unicycle »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54766 on: March 20, 2020, 02:05:37 am »

New embark, calm surroundings, the only hostiles around being a bunch of hobbits (ha ha) and a Tower.

Lakeside fortress. Very nice, good defence and....It is raining fetid goo!

Well, damn, I guess the necros' reach is slightly wider than the embark map knows. Hmph. Let's see what this does to the bearded fellas.

--
Projectile vomit covers the map. Dwarves are getting happy thoughts from bathing in the lake though, so that's nice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:12:35 am by Shonai_Dweller »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54767 on: March 20, 2020, 05:03:41 am »

Oof. That's one heck of a start, Shonai.

I messed with cavern settings and didn't get exactly what I wanted. Missed all three caverns while prospecting - still haven't found 1 or 2. But the third level is flooded and filled with much needed wood. Securing it now. Most interesting part of this fort so far is that elves managed to survive. Trading for grey parrots with them until I get a breeding pair. Then I'm going to war with them... Maybe I should take out the goblins first.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54768 on: March 20, 2020, 07:38:20 pm »

Think this dwarf was competing in the stupidest way to die awards.

On their way to collect some limonite from my future cistern.  Wheelbarrow was empty too.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54769 on: March 20, 2020, 07:57:18 pm »

On their way to collect some limonite from my future cistern.  Wheelbarrow was empty too.
How does a wheelbarrow kill?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54770 on: March 20, 2020, 08:00:20 pm »

Seems to be no long-lasting effects of being pelted with fetid goo (well, physically anyway, I imagine psychologically this fortress is doomed) so the building continues.

This seems to be the case often cited by biome researchers of the sky being a different biome to the ground level.
Currently my rarely seen evil biome Dark Bluejays are circling the site and occasionally divebombing the wood collectors. They're...relatively harmless so long as they stick to snatching. Deadly peck though. Luckily they don't use that much.

Always smile to see these guys. I've an obsession with adding details to my game that almost never occur. Let's just hope the ground remains non-evil, I have some totally OP evil hippos too.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54771 on: March 20, 2020, 08:33:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I imagine he was pushing it while running, and the front wheel snagged a loose rock or bump in the floor.  Then like a bicycle flipping over the handle bars, the wheel barrow's front wheel came to a sudden stop, swinging it end over end.  As it spun forward, the back lip of the wheel barrow caught him in the throat.  And people say don't run with scissors...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54772 on: March 20, 2020, 09:11:49 pm »

Likely, they drowned in the cistern as it got filled.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54773 on: March 20, 2020, 09:17:39 pm »

@ schmaven; Honestly, I can easily see that happening. Stupid little accidents. Still quite an unfortunate way to go.

So since Lizardcaves totally went to hell, I started a new fort to attempt to reliably recreate the same loyalty cascade bug that caused its demise. Two actually. One died horribly to compounding, unending stress that I couldnt control before I could even attempt to recreate the bug. Not even because of combat or anything, the first guy apparently went bonkers because of the rain, jumped in a pond and drowned. Everyone else saw his body on occasion. So, tantrum spiral.

The current one is doing okay, I dont think anyone's really stressed out yet. A cyclops showed up, tried to climb over our walls. Slipped and fell into a cage trap. Haha!

I've got the militia training, but not particularly well-trained and having no resistance to stress. Trying to come up with a safe, non-tantrum-spiral-forming way to slowly inoculate them against freaking out.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54774 on: March 20, 2020, 09:40:23 pm »

I imagine he was pushing it while running, and the front wheel snagged a loose rock or bump in the floor.  Then like a bicycle flipping over the handle bars, the wheel barrow's front wheel came to a sudden stop, swinging it end over end.  As it spun forward, the back lip of the wheel barrow caught him in the throat.  And people say don't run with scissors...

Something along those lines I suspect.

Likely, they drowned in the cistern as it got filled.

The Cistern wasn't filled yet, nor was it filling.  She was hauling the ores from the wall sections and she was going down a ramp.  Just tripped or something was quite weird.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54775 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:23 pm »

Oh, that's not what I expected. Maybe something spooked her and she dodged to death...

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54776 on: March 20, 2020, 10:30:31 pm »

Oh, that's not what I expected. Maybe something spooked her and she dodged to death...

Haven't breached the caverns and no wildlife underground.  What you see there is the complete combat log.

The wheelbarrow just up and attacked her masterfully.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54777 on: March 20, 2020, 10:42:06 pm »

Ah, imgur is blocked in my region, so I didn't even notice an image attached. My bad.

Christ, it hit her while she was standing up...

Put that wheelbarrow in the military.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54778 on: March 21, 2020, 01:48:39 am »

That reminds me of something that happened at the start of a Fortress a little while ago. I posted it on Reddit in the end, so I have an image.
That was the entire combat log, start to finish. I went to check it when he was found dead by a wood hauler.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54779 on: March 21, 2020, 03:36:51 am »

*image*

Cause of death: slashed throat, broken neck. Snapping the upper spine nervous tissue paralized her, but she has likely bled to death before suffocating.

As to why she collided with the wheelbarrow...
The wheelbarrow was not spinning or flying, so it's unlikely that someone thrown it at her or that it fell on her - rather, the dwarf probably fell on the wheelbarrow.
Was she found dead in the cistern itself or somewhere along the way? On a staircase or ramp perhaps?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.
Pages: 1 ... 3650 3651 [3652] 3653 3654 ... 3836