Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3651 3652 [3653] 3654 3655 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788514 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54780 on: March 21, 2020, 04:26:53 am »

Got a decent fort started, it went from struggling to wildly successful, was starting to look promising and I was going to start setting up some experimental (for me) defense design.
Just finally finish assigning military, and a someone spotted a werepanda as it was charging down the stairs. Set up shop in the meeting hall and started biting wholesale.
Too many to quarantine and not enough to make a new experiment of it.
Hate werecreatures.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54781 on: March 21, 2020, 07:29:11 am »

Think this dwarf was competing in the stupidest way to die awards.

*image*

On their way to collect some limonite from my future cistern.  Wheelbarrow was empty too.

Cause of death: slashed throat, broken neck. Snapping the upper spine nervous tissue paralized her, but she has likely bled to death before suffocating.

As to why she collided with the wheelbarrow...
The wheelbarrow was not spinning or flying, so it's unlikely that someone thrown it at her or that it fell on her - rather, the dwarf probably fell on the wheelbarrow.
Was she found dead in the cistern itself or somewhere along the way? On a staircase or ramp perhaps?
Yeah she was at the bottom of ramp.  I wonder if maybe she had the clumsy trait.  In which case it would be very funny if there was accidents for clumsy dwarfs.  Never seen it before in the many forts I've built.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54782 on: March 21, 2020, 08:29:40 am »

Got a decent fort started, it went from struggling to wildly successful, was starting to look promising and I was going to start setting up some experimental (for me) defense design.
Just finally finish assigning military, and a someone spotted a werepanda as it was charging down the stairs. Set up shop in the meeting hall and started biting wholesale.
Hate werecreatures.
I Turn them Off in worldgen... One day I will attempt to quarantine them though

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54783 on: March 21, 2020, 08:37:41 am »

Decorating the surface with a couple statues can give you good warning on incoming werebeasts.

In Warmarks, we're doing great. Two artifacts made, dumping trash into magma, making a trap tunnel covered in nickel because...I have too much nickel.

Experimenting with trap design. I'm thinking of some ambush holes with fortifications to fire out of in the hallway. Plus some pressure plates that are controlled by two dogs at the end of the hall... And some rattlesnakes...in a pit, if the elves bring another.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54784 on: March 21, 2020, 05:05:10 pm »

Hate werecreatures.
I Turn them Off in worldgen... One day I will attempt to quarantine them though

Yeah, going to try that.
Other things I'm fine with, and honestly I wouldn't mind werecreatures if I didn't get them every time.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54785 on: March 21, 2020, 07:49:29 pm »

Someone has left a pile of small-sized clothing on my tavern floor. Meanwhile, a completely butt naked elven scholar is hanging around in the temple.
I'm tempted to assume there's a connection between these two, but sizes don't seem to match. What's happening here?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54786 on: March 21, 2020, 07:58:25 pm »

Someone has left a pile of small-sized clothing on my tavern floor. Meanwhile, a completely butt naked elven scholar is hanging around in the temple.
I'm tempted to assume there's a connection between these two, but sizes don't seem to match. What's happening here?
Elf dancers are almost always naked (dance troupes separate from the parent civ, so they've no access to native clothing to replace theirs after it rots off their bodies a few hundred years into the tour).

Clothes on the floor are fairly common. Dorfs are messy.

Now, "small sized" is interesting. Smaller than a dwarf/elf/goblin (which are all the same size) leaves you with Kobolds and various types of animal people. Any of those around?.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:00:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54787 on: March 22, 2020, 05:11:00 am »

Animal people would have been my first suspect, but this fort hasn't had those since that "Cavefish Woman representative" few years ago... and this pile of clothes can't be more than few game days old.
Also, the elf in question is a Scholar, not a Dancer, and as far as I know they have always preferred to come in fully clothed. There is another elven Scholar visiting at the moment with his clothes, so there must be some unique reason this one Scholar is walking around with only a biography of an unknown Trapper as his cover.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54788 on: March 22, 2020, 06:33:57 am »

Undead invasion. Shut the door for a while, let them mill about for a year. Entire Fortress slows to a crawl within a month.

Turns out, down in the corner of the map, the first few undead to arrive have been playing an eternal game of football with an invincible zombie echidna. Had to take to Dfhack to eliminate the bastard. Rest of the zombies stumbled on to the map and fps soared. Good job.

(This bug, apparently http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11463)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:51:21 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54789 on: March 22, 2020, 08:43:54 am »

Mulling over memories is dishearting sometimes.

Boy whom she birthed died in his first year of life, after war grizzly get inside fort during elves siege. While I found it shocking at first, realising the trauma she might have been through, I pitied her. She probably lost faith in value of family, hate even a notion of sacrifice, or see preserverance as foolish. Or maybe she became more stoic, regretting her strong feelings for her only child...

None of my predictions were true. She still couldn't get over the fact, that she had to change diapers for little, dead since about year baby.

In more practical department, my military commander "accepted" seeing his friend body and it made him "impervious to the effects of stress", which allowed him to be the only soldier that didn't go haggard after few sieges and become the best fighter in fort.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:46:36 am by Lorn Asbord Schutta »

Cracklebones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54790 on: March 23, 2020, 08:48:22 pm »

I am not here often, but got the itch to start a new fort. All went smoothly for me and the fourty dorf fort [capped]. Relatively peaceful drop zone. Exactly the geography I wanted to be above caverns awhile. Only nearby kingdoms are friendly. Across the mountain my kingdom is watching the Elves and Goblins duke it out.

Vampire came in the second immigration wave. Discovered people dying by the second victim, locked him away easily when he drank his third victim publicly. Ends up he's related to half my bloody fort anyway.

Nothing new for years until I start sending an assault squad of four dwarves over the mountain to piss off the "peaceful" goblins. They retaliated with three essentially unarmored macemen who got mutilated by my gate traps. They never sent anyone else. No werebeasts this fort oddly.

A year of raiding small govlin settlements [and two new recruits to the squad!] later we finally encountered defense commander who survived being trashed by my new squad people long enough to capture just those two. Somehow I feel like they locked themselves in a room just to beat the hell out of snoxgob commandergob until they got caught.

Eighteen of my thirty eight remaining dwarves [all warriors] march to war. As they head out I get a notice that my Urist McTrantrum TavernKeep is throwing another one... I zoom to watch only to see him b-line to the public shrine, stop there to rip out his splints from previous sheriff beatings, hurl them across the shrine. Then angrily pray to the god of jewels and minerals, followed by going off to knit wool knickers...

From what I understand of Dwarf Fortress omens, this means we should be victorious in this battle. And the Urist McTavernkeep is getting upgraded to military status once the troops get home.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54791 on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:03 pm »

Started up a modded human settlement, surrounded by enemies.

That aside, the tavern's about done, and the initial migrants brought me plenty of militia recruits, mostly lashers and pikemen with extensive previous histories in battle, though only a couple ever actually killed an enemy. Granted, that's changed with a snatcher being speared through her head, but still. Soldiering is a very strong tradition among The White Kingdoms, and in particular it seems most of the citizenry were part of a specific organization specialized in whips, given the prevalence of the skill (7 in general, 4 in the militia - the other three are of advanced age.)

Quite a few great weapons as well, mostly pikes, though there's a two-handed swordsman too. Armoring everyone is slow going due to my cautious management of fuel. High boots, gauntlets, mail leggings (more to stop bites than anything, and not as heavy as greaves,) mail shirts, and scale over that armor (modded.) Some have shields, some bucklers, just for variety's sake even if they aren't as effective.

Also have a farmer's guildhouse underway, and I've decided to do a slightly different design for my housing, cutting an artificial gash into the land to build housing in. Not quite human-like, but not fully dwarven either.

I've also had to shut off weather. It has not. stopped. raining. Once. It's been nearly a year, and the literally unending rain couple with a gray langur attack and the death of a sapient are stressing a few people out.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54792 on: March 24, 2020, 04:00:21 am »

Got limited by the flux stone my mountainhomes could send me. So I decided to cheat. One steel anvil has become about 50 steel bars with enough menacing spikes and melting. Made better by using no fuel (magma forge + smeltry). I feel a bit bad about it, but I'm bored of waiting a year to only make 8 bars or so. I want to go to war already...

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54793 on: March 24, 2020, 03:56:20 pm »

Gatestar took a big hit yesterday: our engineer necromancer went insane so no new intelligent undead. She defied her burrow and went into the corpse room, got spooked, and raised a bunch of zombies who turned on her when she tried to help another dwarf. The militia saved her, but she was injured and refused to go the hospital, so she lost her ability to grasp. Cue a bunch of job cancellations as her clothes rotted off her body because she can't pick up new ones. Eventually got to be too much for ol' Gizmo.

On the bright side, the magma pump stack is operational and my intdead child weaponsmith created an artifact candy battleaxe today. My intdead child glassmaker also made an artifact glass bracelet with the image of our civ's first queen overthrowing the barony at the time. Turns out she was a necromancer too - from a different slab straight from her deity - and the slab is still in Portentcopper. It's on the other side of the world, but it's a small world. I'm thinking of rolling an adventurer to go get it. What I can't decide is if I should roll a new adventurer in Portentcopper to become a necromancer and bring the slab home OR take control of one of my current legendary intdead soldiers to go get it there-and-back-again style.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54794 on: March 24, 2020, 08:36:49 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived !

Except it now... entirely disappeared. They didn't seem to travel through the map - or if they did, they disappeared fast. I sent my five-dwarf iron and steel-clad spearmaster dwarf squad to handle them and I can't see them. No siege signs at all. My military is just crossing the map to reach them.

I assume it is not a sneaky ambushing force (ala elves) else I wouldn't get such an announcement, or even an announcement as they appeared on the map.

So far from what I've seen it was a fairly sizeable force, that was both dwarves and goblins.

I was getting excited for my first attack on my fort since the new version (i've only gotten snatchers, kobold thieves, and a few elf ambush squads that were a joke) and then nope.

Huh. Maybe they were just passing ? I know sometimes military troops pass by your fort. I'd think they would NOT disappear this quick if so, however...
Pages: 1 ... 3651 3652 [3653] 3654 3655 ... 3835