Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3665 3666 [3667] 3668 3669 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788034 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54990 on: May 13, 2020, 10:38:03 am »

Playing something unusual from my collab mod: Instead of a dwarven fort, I'm playing a village of kobold-like thieving dog-people. Turns out slings (from Adventurecraft mod) aren't very effective weapons, as my hunter tried to murder a pangolin but just gave it a few bruises. Not even a single broken bone... then he got scared of the pangolin and ran away. Sigh...

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54991 on: May 13, 2020, 11:48:40 pm »

Playing something unusual from my collab mod: Instead of a dwarven fort, I'm playing a village of kobold-like thieving dog-people. Turns out slings (from Adventurecraft mod) aren't very effective weapons, as my hunter tried to murder a pangolin but just gave it a few bruises. Not even a single broken bone... then he got scared of the pangolin and ran away. Sigh...

Are these supposed to be glowing thieving dog people?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #54992 on: May 14, 2020, 03:21:18 am »

Are these supposed to be glowing thieving dog people?
That's the healing interaction I gave them.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54993 on: May 14, 2020, 05:03:56 pm »

My starting 7 weaponsmith and armorsmith just got married before summer of the first year even arrived, just as planned.
Angie the mechanic and Engie the siege engineer also fell in love, and my expedition leader also found himself a lover already.
Tempted to turn the pop cap to 10 and start a breeding fortress. I already modded dwarven children to mature at age 7 instead of 12.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:05:43 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54994 on: May 15, 2020, 12:05:05 pm »

IT came to my fort on the first autumn, with a mere 9 dwarves and a few dozen critters to my name.

I had exactly 4 hatches as a defense, and not even a proper dedicated military grade weapon.

What I did have, though, was the fall caravan with us, and the depot was  placed just behind my pasture.  A horse ate some 'clown sauce', and didnt make it, but then the caravan stepped up.

. . . they . . . won?  Yea, IT eventually ran out of steam and passed out.  Then it was easy to kill.  But before that it maimed a caravan horse, fratured a macedwarf's hip, cut of both hands of another macedwarf, and popped the knee joint of a trader.  Needless to say the traders arent happy.

IT is, well, based on IT in its demonic form from the Stephen King novel.  ITs more like a giant, stingerless scorpion that passes as a night creature.  Its saliva is called 'clown sauce' and I forget what exactly it does, but to be frank anything human-sized that gets bitten by IT is likely going to die from sheer physical trauma before whatever syndrome it has takes effect.  Knowing me, it could be as simple as fear/nausea/numbness, or it could be lungrot.  Its a 50/50 imo.

But, to my point, damn did that escalate from 'lets build the substructure of the base and figure out the ins and outs of the 'light aquifer' since we are in the desert to -Oh shit, that would have party wiped me if the caravan wasnt around to save me.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54995 on: May 15, 2020, 09:37:14 pm »

For some reason my militia commander refused to lock their close friend in jail after beating them. I appointed a new sheriff and they too refused to lock them in jail. I managed to lock her in one anyway when she wandered in trying to find a way out allowing me to lift the lockdown. Much time passed and I tried again and no one would lock her up, I'd reappointed the original sheriff. She managed to slip out after an unrelated lockdown and I was forced to order my militia commander, her close friend, to kill her as she still carried the artifact she had tried to steal and they happened to be passing at the front gate. I slow stepped time as my unarmed sheriff/commander beat her friend senseless finally getting her arm in a joint lock and snapping it and causing her to drop the stolen artifact. I called off the kill order and allowed the now badly beaten human criminal scum to leave the fort out of compassion for my sheriff who I like.

My fortress is open to many visitors and there have been many thefts as a result but artifacts are kept in well occupied rooms and no one has yet escaped with an artifact since we lost two a few years ago. My artifact hunters learned of the locations but two were killed trying to retrieve them. A more sizable military assault will be needed to reacquire our property. Though my expendable force of bards has not yet become citizens, we will have a sixty strong canary military when they are trained and equipped. My proper less expendable military is now twenty strong and training well. Though they are still in leather and bone/shell armor without weapons. Three captured Forgotten Beasts in cages near the front entrance will serve as our first line of defense when the goblins inevitably come. A real metalworking industry is now the priority.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54996 on: May 16, 2020, 09:44:52 am »

Now I have 66 dwarves, most of them are children and grandchildren or the original seven.
Some dwarf children just created an artifact raccoon bone great axe.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54997 on: May 16, 2020, 05:47:56 pm »

Started a New fort here, in a calm mountain on a magma tube and a tundra.

Youd think that would be easy right?  Except it was a painful reminder about time management, logistics, and what is ans isnt magma safe.

You see, my worlds are designed to be chaotic and grim.  High mineral count, high erosion, high evil and megabeasts, etc.  Then I theme my forts, usually around a dying civ and a need to secure some resource or strategic locale.  Finally, I add a few surprises of my own, such as raising the price of seeds, the time it takes for underground plants to grow and adding more hostile civs.

Anyway, like the badass I am, I embark with several peahens for egg harvesting, several dogs for protection and emergency food, and 2 anvils, some hematite, a charcoal, many copper nuggets, and some thread.  Yup, gonna make it all on site - the picks, axes, crossbows, etc.

So I land - the place is a massive spike.  Its a 20 Z-level trek up a steep slope to the top of the tube.  I dont have a pick to dig nor an axe to cut with, mind you.  I have my dwarves set up pastures and haul the foodstuffs to my planned fort entrance while I wait for the smiths to haul the anvils and ore up this rock.

Then, I embarked with granite, which houses several magma safe rocks, but itself isnt magma safe.  Fort kaput.

I reembark, but forget to bring some starter copper bars to kickstart my digging.  So I spend a month and a half watching my smiths haul the nuggets so I can piecemeal set up my miners.

Just imagine some peacocks and dwarves standing around a mountain side in the middle of a blizzard watching some smiths hauling copper rocks up to the top to smelt some ore.  Instead of working on anything of merit.  There isnt even food to collect out there!

So a good reintroduction to planning......  dont cheap on materials and supplies if you cant get the job done.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54998 on: May 17, 2020, 12:57:34 am »

A cyclops just attacked my still woefully underprepared fort. Fortunately, it only killed one dwarf; the two weretortoises and the goblin siege were much worse.

While my dwarves wailed on it with whatever was available - be it a *steel battle axe* or in several cases a figurine - two cats joined the fray, biting.

One of the cats managed to open an artery in the cyclops's head.

Good kitty!
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54999 on: May 17, 2020, 07:16:58 am »

starting a new fort in a freshly generated world with big openish caverns. gonna try building an "above ground" castle in the third cavern layer

so far: 40ish dwarves, lil wooden tavern on the surface, first cavern layer fully explored, second cavern layer discovered. the miners who went looking for the third cavern must've shot right past it, they found semi-molten rock instead.

a forgotten beast has shown up in the first cavern layer. stationed the military at the stairwell, but it seems uninterested in making our acquaintance and the soldiers were getting thirsty, so i've simply locked the cavern doors and told the military to go train instead

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55000 on: May 17, 2020, 11:42:40 am »

The first child has been born in the fortress.
What's odd is that she worships the same deity twice.
"She is a worshipper of Kogsak Defensetower and a worshipper of Kogsak Defensetower"
Note that both her parents are also Kogsak worshippers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55001 on: May 17, 2020, 12:48:57 pm »

I wonder if this is like food preferences, where some bit of information is hidden, and your dwarf worships the same god twice but worships different spheres, that may be conflicted in some way.

Who is this god, Kogsak Defensetower?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55002 on: May 17, 2020, 09:38:22 pm »

I am in a constant state of terror in my current fort. It's quite new (I'm still in spring), but the first season is always the most stressful. My embark is nothing short of god awful: no ore, no flux, 3 necro towers, reanimating, thralling, glacier, and also there is nothing but the mountainhome, so I can't expect many migrants.

I've successfully tunneled into the cavern layer, and am creating my fort around it (I've got quite a bit planned out), but the caverns are rife with danger. The first wildlife I get is a blind cave ogre and a jabberer, the former of which my farmer got into a small scuffle with while exploring. He managed to scare it, somehow, and walked away unharmed. Later (still with the jabberer and ogre on the map) some cave swallow men and an undead GCS faced off (where the latter came from I have no clue, but I have very little of the northern caverns revealed). The cave swallow men won, but lost one of their ranks, all becoming zombified and then getting rekt when the jabberer wandered nearby. So it's been constant close calls, which is terrifying because the fort was not successfully sealed off from the caverns for all of them. Just now the non-obscure ways are sealed (there's still a small waterfront entryway, though the lake it's on isn't connected to the edge of the map), so the fort is finally somewhat safe.

Also, the cats wandered off in the caverns (they're safe) and a freak swarm of creepy crawlers drank all the booze. Damnit. At least we still have food, and barring that, we have horses to butcher. Looks like my poor dwarves will have to suffer water for a bit, since not dying takes more preference than making everybody comfortable.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55003 on: May 17, 2020, 10:32:04 pm »

A werebuffalo arrived, the first werebeast I've ever had to deal with in fact. No defenses other than a wooden door and like 10 untrained, unarmed, unarmored militiadwarves (I was going to send them against a ~10 population hamlet.) I civalerted everyone to the deepest non-flooded mine level (dang slow aquifers!), and stuffed the militiadwarves into the entrance corridor. The were started murdering my livestock, and I waited with bated breath for it to turn its attention to the door - wiki says weres are building destroyers. The were slaughtered the last horse, and...

It did nothing. I guess they rely on sighting a possible victim? Eventually the were transformed back and left, and I returned to business as usual.

I will be building some actual defenses in the near future. An atom smasher should do nicely.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55004 on: May 18, 2020, 03:59:06 am »

A werebuffalo arrived, the first werebeast I've ever had to deal with in fact. No defenses other than a wooden door and like 10 untrained, unarmed, unarmored militiadwarves (I was going to send them against a ~10 population hamlet.) I civalerted everyone to the deepest non-flooded mine level (dang slow aquifers!), and stuffed the militiadwarves into the entrance corridor. The were started murdering my livestock, and I waited with bated breath for it to turn its attention to the door - wiki says weres are building destroyers. The were slaughtered the last horse, and...

It did nothing. I guess they rely on sighting a possible victim? Eventually the were transformed back and left, and I returned to business as usual.

I will be building some actual defenses in the near future. An atom smasher should do nicely.

Better livestock than dwarves. My first struggle with werelizard was pretty catastrophic, we killed it, but 8+ dwarves were bitten. I tried to contain them all, but I missed tow of them. Thus, my fortress fell during the next full moon.

That was before I discovered I can expel dwarves *facepalm*. But it still sucks, you may lose some good citizens because of a werebeast. They're tricky.
Pages: 1 ... 3665 3666 [3667] 3668 3669 ... 3835