Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3667 3668 [3669] 3670 3671 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838475 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55020 on: May 19, 2020, 03:42:51 pm »

The migrant wave was particularly terrifying, as all of the migrant pets got turned into zombie thralls. Two of the migrants bravely sacrificed themselves to get the others in through the entry hatch: one, a miner who was the last dwarf on the map, and the other, a peasant who also got thralled, yet kept fighting the thrall animals (minus one, who the miner fought). Sadly, both lost their lives (perhaps not sadly in the case of the thrall!), and the miner was knocked unconscious and was unable to escape after everyone had gotten in safely. Both went down fighting, and neither will reanimate: if nothing else, this is a testament to dwarven courage.

I... uh... update to this particular story. The two dwarves who died saving the rest of the migrants were husband and wife. As, the miner, watched his wife, Sazir, get thralled. Sazir held off most of the migrant's animals (all of which got thralled, I think) using her newfound strength as a zombie thrall, while As just had to fight a poult thrall that was still chasing the migrants and not attacking Sazir. By the time the migrants had escaped, As still only had minor injuries and a clear path to retreat, but didn't disengage when given the order of disbanding his squad. I'd like to imagine that he didn't want to disengage, even though it meant his certain death. I love Dwarf Fortress.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55021 on: May 19, 2020, 04:15:41 pm »

I just noticed that love can change dwarf personalities.
In the thoughts screen, my expedition leader has "he personally believes that it would be a fine thing if all time were leisure time (a strenghtening after a new romance in 180)"

and "He is always in love with somebody and easily develops positive feelings (after a new romance in 180)"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55022 on: May 19, 2020, 04:42:06 pm »

I've had two strange moods. Another just started.

Every single one of them is possessed. No Legendary skill gain.

In other news, the first FB I've encountered rose from the caverns. A humanoid, Gogol, made from a gemstone (red grossular) with "deadly spittle." I tried to close the "bridge airlock" I had made to seal the caverns, only to find that I hadn't linked the bridges to a lever yet.

The wiki solemnly warned me about taking on a gemstone FB with an unprepared militia, but I had no choice.

A hastily assembled squad of untrained dwarves armed with whatever weapons were on hand took Gogol down quickly with a blow to the head. I've seen no effects of the spittle yet, a few months later.

EDIT: and the moody dwarf has already started the construction. No unavailable materials needed. Easiest mood so far.

EDIT2: moody dwarf created an artifact door made from amethyst. This is useful - have an indestructible door as the main entrance.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:50:16 pm by Eschar »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55023 on: May 19, 2020, 05:33:10 pm »

The wiki solemnly warned me about taking on a gemstone FB with an unprepared militia, but I had no choice.

I've read that too and yet not a single FB I've encountered that was made of gemstone was at all difficult.  One literally fell apart from one punch from a peasant (wtf?).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55024 on: May 19, 2020, 07:46:11 pm »

I haven't encountered any made of gemstones yet.  But I wonder if gemstones can have different toughnesses, like copper and steel?  Maybe a diamond forgotten beast would be super tough?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55025 on: May 19, 2020, 08:05:30 pm »

Just based off what I can find in the raws, Pyrite might actually be the most dangerous gem forgotten beast. It's the densest of the gemstones, and high density increases both defense against blunt damage and attack momentum.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55026 on: May 19, 2020, 08:37:27 pm »

I haven't encountered any made of gemstones yet.  But I wonder if gemstones can have different toughnesses, like copper and steel?  Maybe a diamond forgotten beast would be super tough?

Diamond is actually very brittle, I think, as toughness and hardness are inversely correlated. I don't know how this carries across to DF though. If it does, diamond megabeasts should be very vulnerable to blunt weapons.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55027 on: May 19, 2020, 09:05:27 pm »

My woodcutter decided that getting clobbered with a bunch of logs would be a great way to train my medical staff.

I think I'm gonna need a new woodcutter...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55028 on: May 19, 2020, 09:58:05 pm »

The stream below my falls has been stained red with...

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55029 on: May 19, 2020, 11:38:05 pm »

the FB the bled pomegranates?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55030 on: May 20, 2020, 12:38:19 am »

Nope.  Just pomegranates falling off of trees.

I thought it was blood at first...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55031 on: May 20, 2020, 02:22:33 am »

Just discovered cavern two. It is 85 z-levels tall. Just, it starts as one towering chasm starting from a hole in the first cavern with the occasional plateau and tree all the way down.

Third cavern finally has access to the water I need. At z -160. Goddammit. I should just move the entire fortress down there.

Actually, I might. I havent done that in a while.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55032 on: May 20, 2020, 02:48:29 am »

85 z-levels tall, wow. Is that with normal worldgen settings or did you tweak the z-levels in between caves?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55033 on: May 20, 2020, 02:53:37 am »

It was a standard "create new world now" medium sized world with frequent minerals.

I should move down there and then drop the necromancers' zombies down the hole when they come to visit.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55034 on: May 20, 2020, 03:25:16 am »

Spoiler: . (click to show/hide)

unless theres some devilry, yes?  I admit to not having played the newest versions long enough to know by experience.  I have half a mind to murder any nondwarf who comes to my fort.

P: Goblins can eat bone or meat.  they can drink, but probably like vampires, wont satiate their desires because they have no need.
it might be they don't need to eat but they want to eat their preferred food? i had a goblin go berserk because he couldn't get the booze he liked
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.
Pages: 1 ... 3667 3668 [3669] 3670 3671 ... 3836