Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3668 3669 [3670] 3671 3672 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786991 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55035 on: May 20, 2020, 07:28:51 am »

I am so rusty.
I forgot that mashing plants to a slurry is not a milling skill but requires papermaking enabled.
Cost me a full 5 minnutes to figure that out haha.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55036 on: May 20, 2020, 10:46:49 am »

My woodcutter decided that getting clobbered with a bunch of logs would be a great way to train my medical staff.

I think I'm gonna need a new woodcutter...

I'm training them by dropping a militiadwarf down a half-functional partly flooded (I swear, these light aquifers are going to make me snap) execution drop shaft. It's not deep enough to kill, especially with the water, but gruesome injuries abound.

I've given the mechanic in charge of that lever the custom title "Executioner."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55037 on: May 20, 2020, 03:11:15 pm »

Medical dwarves need strange moods that create Frankensteinish horrors from body parts

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55038 on: May 20, 2020, 07:34:00 pm »

Medical dwarves need strange moods that create Frankensteinish horrors from body parts
Or an urge to graft on artificial body parts to injured dorfs.

Doctor Urist screams, I must have severely injured patients!
Overseer: All peasants and cheesemakers, please report to minecart stop 3...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #55039 on: May 20, 2020, 07:37:08 pm »

Am I the only one that instinctively views peasants as valuable because a decent chunk of them have military skills but no civilian ones, making them obvious choices for conscription?
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #55040 on: May 20, 2020, 08:05:05 pm »

A local necromancer's host decided to pay me a visit,now being the briliant strategist that I am I promptly turtled my poor fools in. Fast forward some months and one of the experiments gives birth??? To triplets?

For some reason the unit screen lists the children as friendly.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55041 on: May 20, 2020, 08:12:43 pm »

Awww... You know babies; they are friendly to everyone. It is not like they can outrun that elf and tear out its tasty liver without your dwarfs to help them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55042 on: May 20, 2020, 08:48:43 pm »

Meet the babies!

One flamethrower please!

edit: The siege has been lift, yet the maggot "babies" have stayed behind.....and they had babies themsleves.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:20:12 pm by Ulfarr »

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55043 on: May 20, 2020, 09:34:35 pm »

Am I the only one that instinctively views peasants as valuable because a decent chunk of them have military skills but no civilian ones, making them obvious choices for conscription?

No.  Also they're available to turn into anything you want without removing another dorf from some other task.  I'll also usually make a peasant a strand extractor if I have none, since they're going to be doing that for the rest of their life.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55044 on: May 20, 2020, 10:17:00 pm »

I like to make peasants into soldier/weaponsmiths. They receive access to the apprentice forges, which produce a few copper bolts each month, ensuring that they get a bit of crafting done each year. Sometimes one of them makes a fancy weapon before they become a legendary warrior. Much better than making a fancy crundle bone amulet.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55045 on: May 20, 2020, 11:28:36 pm »

In possibly the silliest mistake I've ever made I breached the side of a magma pool to get a quicker look at the extent of the magma sea, and that was fine. It started leaking magma into the 3rd cavern but I channeled some ditches and built walls on the far side to halt the flood, problem solved.

Fast forward a bit and I'm getting "No water source" cancellation spam. A quick check of the well reveals it's dry. That shouldn't be possible, it's fed by the small edge of map pond in the 3rd cavern that is the only source of water on the map. Said pond is currently covered in magma, because for some reason I don't think magma had pressure, and that it would stop if it encountered something it couldn't just flow down over the edge of.

Now I'm organising the controlled cave-in stone plugs I should've have made to begin with. I sure hope we can mine out our water source again...  :-[
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55046 on: May 21, 2020, 02:38:36 am »

I'm watching a bunch of gobbos atop my frozen ocean, waiting for the thaw with unprecedented excitement. Also I have a happy-ish noble for once, because i decided the queen deserves chambers, and said chambers revealed plenty of platinum for furniture~

slight update: I've also been stealing livestock from the elves. Currently ive managed to get my hands on a breeding pair of black bears, raccoons, and from trading before I decided the elves were my enemy, kakapos.

Once I'm done stealing elven livestock, I'm gonna steal from one of the goblin civs that isnt targetting us. Beak Dogs are great pets.

I'm also working on attempting animal domestication, namely on a small gang of crundles and a pair of Kiwi birds i caught in my cage trap minefields
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:22:37 am by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #55047 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01:30 am »

Meet the babies!

One flamethrower please!
Sigged.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55048 on: May 21, 2020, 03:28:50 am »

Even though it's quite a few years now since trees were turned from single tile to glorious 3d, I keep being surprised at just how many wood a single tree gives nowadays.
I just disabled wood hauling on all my dwarves to allow them some free time, because they have been hauling wood for well over a season, and that's just the dozen or so trees that I initially chopped at embark.
I still remember the days when I needed to import wood to keep my wood furnaces and asheries supplied because tree growth could not keep up with demand.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55049 on: May 21, 2020, 04:17:39 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3668 3669 [3670] 3671 3672 ... 3835