Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3669 3670 [3671] 3672 3673 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789070 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55050 on: May 21, 2020, 04:44:25 pm »

Fuck it, lemme just index the previous updates.
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3

Angelcrux is now pushing a close second to Anvillizard in terms of being my favorite fort. A lot has happened since the last update. Most notably, I made a huge mistake, in that I didn't realize necromancer experiments were building destroyers. The cavern heart of the fortress was overrun (along with the closest thing the fort has to a main staircase) because all that kept us from the outside was a simple hatch, but fortunately, the dwarves of Angelcrux were able to safely wall off and maintain control over most of the important sections of the fort thanks to excessive doors and quick thinking. Our only casualty was Zulgar Towerhame, a founder and weaponsmith. She will be missed, but she will also be avenged. The life in the fortress goes on, although a bit less efficiently because I was forced to route the main thoroughfare through a maintenance tunnel.

I've made a second blunder as well. In hoping to decrease the number of the fortress's foes, I unleashed the vault's angels upon the necromancer siege, which just ended in a bunch of zombie angels that won't leave, unlike the necromancers. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking there. This blunder did have one advantage, though. A singular angel soldier went partway down the passageway to the fortress. While it was not killed before its retreat, nor did it kill very many of the necromancer's army, it did lose an arm and a foot in combat. What's so notable about that, you ask? The soldier was, of course, wearing divine metal armor: its missing limbs have enough armor on them to make an ingot of divine metal. And from one ingot can flow many others, thanks to the lost smithing techniques* of the dwarves.

Next, several forgotten beasts in the caverns layer have rendered them lost to the undead. There exist three hulking zombie forgotten beasts and one of green glass, all of which are relatively uninjured. The caverns were successfully split in two several years back, but two zombie fbs now reside in the formerly safe section, meaning I'll have to coast on my fortunately large wood reserves for a long while. Your sacrifice during the wood gathering mission was not in vain, Rimtar Silveryweb.

In addition, a military has finally been founded. Four soldiers have been drafted, all garbed in full iron armor and wielding iron warhammers. They will take a while to train up to reasonable skill, but should be sufficient in fighting off any undead pets and also taking out those two crundles that I trapped (and had little reason to fight) a long while back. The first pet died of old age last spring, so their services will be important in the coming years, even if it means I'm down a few useful dwarves.

Since some important sections of the fort have been lost, I have dug a few new parts to somewhat replace the missing compartments. Most notably is the new barracks near the forges (which I ultimately intend to be the civilian barracks, but seeing as both of the others are lost to the undead, is currently being used by our new military. This barracks was dug off of a new connection near the carpenter's circle, which leads directly to the finished section of the forge district, which would otherwise have been lost to the zombies.

Spoiler: The new expansions (click to show/hide)

And, most recently, another disturbing development: the mountainhome has fallen. Angelcrux is now the last dwarven fortress in the world. Lolor Packedpainted, the fortress engraver, has claimed the title of queen of the dwarves. I can't say this pleases me: Lolor is a bit of a sadist, and also we don't have any rooms for nobility. That was the next thing on the to-do list before the whole necromancers destroying half of the fortress thing happened. She is an important mother for the fortress's next generation however (Angelcrux has three married couples), and is likely to be having the most children: both she and her husband (who is a mechanic) are jobs that have been receiving quite a bit of down time during the undead crisis, unlike the other two couples who both have a farmhand (misc grouping of all the unskilled farming labors I need) in the pair. There is significant extra food, so I've been giving downtime where possible, but food production is obviously something that can't just be ignored.

The fort stands at 23 population and growing.

Spoiler: Fort demographics (click to show/hide)

*Also known as the melt glitch.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55051 on: May 21, 2020, 07:06:31 pm »

A human lasher wants to take an artifact back home. Odd. ???

Odd because we made that artifact. It was our first one, a platinum scepter that quadrupled our fort's value.
Is this some really stupid villain's idea of a heist?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #55052 on: May 21, 2020, 08:52:41 pm »

Having burned myself out on Dwarf Fortress for a few months and taken a break I forgot how strange this game can occasionally be.

After trying for days to figure out which type of workshop he needed I built a clothiers shop and it was immediately claimed by Zuglar the Mechanic. Apparently he had some skills in weaving because after a few hours he emerged finally satisfied holding a really really fancy sock. He claimed it as a family heirloom which means at least four generations of dwarves in his line will end up fighting over who owns this extremely fancy sock. I wonder what historians in several hundred years will end up thinking of the "Sock Wars" and if anyone will end up pointing out that Zuglar only actually made one sock not a matching set.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55053 on: May 22, 2020, 11:26:10 am »

It looks like the humans replaced their necromancer head treasurer, I got a breathing human diplomat this year.

EDIT: I am this a point.  I bought pepper seeds from the humans, set up pepper plant and pepper fruit stockpiles thinking you could process pepper plants to bag to get the fruits....
Pepper seeds aren't plantable, they don't show up in the farm plot seed selection.

According to the wiki they should be plantable, no idea why they don't show in the list. I can plant the hemp just fine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:09:40 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55054 on: May 22, 2020, 06:41:00 pm »

Previous updates:
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4

Fortress Angelcrux has finally reclaimed the heart of the fortress. But not without loss on our side, and our reclaimed territory is ravaged.  Stakud Gemlengths fell first to the unexpected intrusion of an abominable soot zombie yak calf, which despite his multiple cloaks, easily turned him into one of the enemy. Dastost Silverwheeled fell next, a hero: he held back his deceased squadmate, allowing Moldath, the other of his squad, to make it back inside the fort safely. Dastost too was turned, but was captured in a trap, leaving Moldath and Reg, the remaining two members of our military, to clean up the rest of the zombies. This was done almost effortlessly after the entryway to the fort was sealed with a cave-in to prevent further intrusion of husked zombies. More caution will be taken with the foul creatures in the future, but for now the fort will recover, mourn, and rebuild, stronger than ever before. Reg, nearing the end of her natural lifespan, will be given several choices. She may choose to die in battle against the denizens of the vault, she may choose to sacrifice herself in a ritual for extending the lives of her kin (hint hint, it's vampirism), or she may simply be destroyed, cast into the magma sea. Her death of old age would be catastrophic to the fortress: an armed, well trained zombie in the heart of the fort would be dangerous even if Angelcrux had its full military might, but with only Moldath to fight back, it could spell the end of the fort.

Now that the fort is reclaimed, there is much work to be done. Buildings in the ruined section must be rebuilt, corpses must be destroyed, walls must be torn down, and most importantly, traps and bridges must be obsessively placed in all corridors to prevent such tragedy from befalling the fort ever again. After that, the caverns must be dealt with: the undead have tightened their grip and their numbers now grow out of control. Military might will not suffice to defeat these monsters, however. There are too many powerful monsters among the ranks (not to mention too many in general), and with the military crippled as it is, it would be suicide to try such. Another plan must be devised to destroy the threat, but what that plan might be is unbeknownst to me currently.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55055 on: May 22, 2020, 07:25:11 pm »

Hmm. I assume bridges deconstruct when used on angels? Then again you want to preserve the armor. They're probably TRAPAVOID too.

Channel a section above and near them, put supports in while completing it, drop it on them to knock them unconscious and trappable? Wait I bet they don't go unconscious either.

The truly dwarfy solution would be to clease the captured areas with magma. It seems you have magma access, based on your comment on Reg's options for a glorious death.

How are you planning to vampirize her? I locked a guy in a room with a temple statue to wait for him to go insane and topple it, but I don't know how reliable the insanity and tantrum/toppling behavior is.

We also need a spoiler name for vaults/angels. We have "clown" for the other HFS, but nothing for these endgame critters.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:30:52 pm by Eschar »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55056 on: May 22, 2020, 07:56:00 pm »

We also need a spoiler name for vaults/angels. We have "clown" for the other HFS, but nothing for these endgame critters.

mimes?
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55057 on: May 22, 2020, 08:03:26 pm »

Hmm. I assume bridges deconstruct when used on angels? Then again you want to preserve the armor. They're probably TRAPAVOID too.

Channel a section above and near them, put supports in while completing it, drop it on them to knock them unconscious and trappable? Wait I bet they don't go unconscious either.

The truly dwarfy solution would be to clease the captured areas with magma. It seems you have magma access, based on your comment on Reg's options for a glorious death.

How are you planning to vampirize her? I locked a guy in a room with a temple statue to wait for him to go insane and topple it, but I don't know how reliable the insanity and tantrum/toppling behavior is.

Most angels should be big enough to be smooshed. But nah, I can just use Reg and Moldath if I need some extra metal: angels aren't that tough, and even though they're well equipped, their armor won't help them much against hammers. I only need to take a few out, then I can let dwarven metallurgy do the rest. There is a bit of divine metal that has been dropped, but I'll likely want to execute another soldier or two. Still, that's not a now problem, I've still got seven years before Reg dies.

Flooding my own fort with magma sounds like an awful idea, there aren't that many corpses all over, and I think they're all mangled. Plus, while I do have access to the magma sea, I can't yet bring it up to me. All I've got is a minecart filler, which could just as easily be used to incinerate Reg.

I may or may not end up vamping Reg. Seems unnatural to devote your entire fort to destroying the undead but in the process turn it into vampires.

Spoiler: spoiler stuff (click to show/hide)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #55058 on: May 22, 2020, 08:51:44 pm »

mimes?

I feel like this kind of weighty, consequence-filled decision should be turned into its own post. +nodnod+ A question worthy of the greatest scholars of our land.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55059 on: May 23, 2020, 12:35:04 am »

I'm watching a bunch of gobbos atop my frozen ocean, waiting for the thaw with unprecedented excitement. Also I have a happy-ish noble for once, because i decided the queen deserves chambers, and said chambers revealed plenty of platinum for furniture~

slight update: I've also been stealing livestock from the elves. Currently ive managed to get my hands on a breeding pair of black bears, raccoons, and from trading before I decided the elves were my enemy, kakapos.

Once I'm done stealing elven livestock, I'm gonna steal from one of the goblin civs that isnt targetting us. Beak Dogs are great pets.

I'm also working on attempting animal domestication, namely on a small gang of crundles and a pair of Kiwi birds i caught in my cage trap minefields

that fort got overrun by elves. like, 8 ambushes worth at once, discovered right outside my doors. Oh well! Time for my next fort, once my mod is ready for testing
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55060 on: May 23, 2020, 03:15:18 am »

I found out why my dwarven baby worships the same god twice.
There are two religions for that god.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55061 on: May 23, 2020, 03:25:45 am »

I found out why my dwarven baby worships the same god twice.
There are two religions for that god.
That's fairly normal. Is your baby specifically a member of both religions in its thoughts?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55062 on: May 23, 2020, 04:22:21 am »

It says 'She is a worshipper of Kogsak Defensetowers and a worshipper of Kogsak Defensetowers'

EDIT: Woohoo! I was starting to get worried after their relation didn't progress past lover, but now my expedition leader and brewer got married.
Two breeding couples now, plus one more lover couple. Turned off immigration, gonna breed me a fortress from the starting dwarves.
And maybe some permanent residents.

EDIT2:
Heh I just got a pop up message with green text saying "The hamlet of Kindnesscloses, nearly a day's travel to the southwest, has been conquered and now looks towards your thriving economy for it's future prosperity".

What does this mean?

On the civ screen the hamlet says 'economically linked to you'.  It's a goblin hamlet, and at peace with me.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:14:45 am by martinuzz »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55063 on: May 23, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »

They surrendered to your economic might, and they're yours. At this point it looks like the only interesting thing you could do would be expel troublesome dwarves to that site, and if there's a historic figure living there you could request he move to your main fort. If you get en-Baroned it will become one of your vassals, and at four vassals your Baron gets promoted to Count, so it sounds like you're well on your way to getting a real nobility:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Holding#Economical_links

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55064 on: May 23, 2020, 03:50:39 pm »

EDIT2:
Heh I just got a pop up message with green text saying "The hamlet of Kindnesscloses, nearly a day's travel to the southwest, has been conquered and now looks towards your thriving economy for it's future prosperity".

What does this mean?

On the civ screen the hamlet says 'economically linked to you'.  It's a goblin hamlet, and at peace with me.

I think it qualifies you for a barony assuming you also meet the import/export requirements. You should be able to pull workers from it's population too.

I've completed most of my migration down into the third caverns/magma sea region. Just gotta drag down the rest of the junk upstairs and get proper bedrooms set up. Most of the junk including virtually all of the resources on the map so far like ores and wood. I'll just have everyone dump them down a chute and collect them when the dumping is done.

My attempt at flooding a large space for farming/pastures was only partially successful because the water can't spread far enough before it evaporates just from the pressure alone, so I'll have to pump it into the parts that didn't get flooded. Pain in the arse.

Oh, and a horde of undead controls the surface thanks to the necromancers, but everyone's safe inside and we're basically independent of the mountainhomes. Retaking the surface is a project for another day.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:54:46 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3669 3670 [3671] 3672 3673 ... 3835