Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3671 3672 [3673] 3674 3675 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789178 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55080 on: May 26, 2020, 08:20:45 pm »

Plump Helmet men do not breath. /tame 5, made them farmers, with Therapist. No joy, they refuse to farm my submerged(5/7) farm plot. Add-thought in dfHack, still no underwater farming. Ugg, they have l labor, but it doesnt do anything when pressed. Not really sure the skills, I set in Therapist on them took. They appear as baby dwarfs appear, skills all red. For no breathing, they do listen to poetry pretty well.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55081 on: May 27, 2020, 04:08:28 pm »

Even if they were functional laborers, they wouldn't work a submerged farm because the games code doesnt allow laborers to path through water or perform work underwater. You'll have to drain the farms somehow.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55082 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:00 pm »

Angelcrux Updates:
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5

Angelcrux grows more glorious with each passing year. It has been four years since the main fortress has been reclaimed, and there have been both major victories and major losses along the way.

Soon after the reconquest of the fortress proper, I made a foolish attempt at destroying some denizens of the vault for their precious metal equipment. It failed miserably, resulting in the deaths of both of the fortress' remaining soldiers. However, the vault gave something I was in desperate need of: inspiration.

Slade was gathered from its walls, and the entire fort went to work devising a trap to aim at the caverns, whose undead situation threatened to cause significant temporal warping if left unchecked. After two years of hard work, it was finished.

Spoiler: Behold! (click to show/hide)

It's overkill in spectacular fashion. Enemies rarely reach the eight minecart crusher, with the weaker ones (all the crundle and troglodyte bits) being impaled to death on the spikes and the stronger ones getting lured in by the artifact door and then impaled to death. Anything unlucky enough to reach the crushers gets greeted by a giant unstoppable pile of slade hurtling at them at high speed.

Unfortunately, not every undead is drawn into it. Some seem too distant to care about the bait animal and pathway into the fort, and others flat out can't reach it: I cut the caverns in two long ago to hopefully make reclaiming them a bit easier. Seeing as the minecarts work quite well, I made a smaller variant, this time with only two minecarts and the bait.

Spoiler: The mini variant (click to show/hide)

This one, after a minor project to drain a lake that was preventing some undead from pathing into it, was able to fully clear the small chunk of the caverns to the southeast of the fort, which are now (barring a crundle hand stuck in a tree) completely devoid of life. Wildlife can still enter and the fort has no military, so I have chosen to not begin cleaning up the mess and walling that area off just yet.

However, there have been some minor internal losses. Due to my own negligence, two children have died to failed strange moods, which is a great tragedy, seeing as they're literally the only hope for dwarvenkind as a whole. The majority of the fortress has remained in high spirits despite our casualties, since I've been giving everybody significant off-time to increase the population. The only thing they've needed to do in the past two years is occasional work on the two new mini versions of the minecart trap and brewing of booze. Farming has been stopped due to a huge excess of meat, and will be partially resumed when I run low on brewables, but that day is a long ways away. Back to the topic of strange moods, my earliest intrusion into the vault has finally paid off.

Spoiler: BEHOLD! (again) (click to show/hide)

A slade warhammer of artifact quality, at long last! There is nobody around to wield it yet, but in time it will be my most formidable weapon against the undead. Well, maybe the hurtling piles of slade that are my minecart crushers are more formidable, so... ah, whatever, they're both hunks of slade. Point is: Slade   Fucking   Warhammer. Cool, am I right or am I right?

As soon as I have a dwarf capable of using this monstrous weapon skillfully I will be able to set forth with taking the caverns for the benefit of the dwarves. When they are finally walled off, I will then be able to look upwards and downwards, to the spire of the vault, the ruins of the surface, and, in the opposite direction, the depths of the world.

Population stands at 22, this time hopefully actually growing.

Long live fortress Angelcrux!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55083 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:44 pm »

I just got a "Vile force of darkness."

And it's 9 dwarves.  And none of them have weapons.  I assume they're from some goblin civ somehow, but why no weapons?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55084 on: May 27, 2020, 11:46:12 pm »

And it's 9 dwarves.  And none of them have weapons.  I assume they're from some goblin civ somehow, but why no weapons?
Find out where they're from with Legends mode later. It's probably a refugee camp which is part of the goblin civ or something with no access to metal. Do they have armour?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55085 on: May 28, 2020, 12:32:13 am »

Find out where they're from with Legends mode later. It's probably a refugee camp which is part of the goblin civ or something with no access to metal. Do they have armour?

Nothing but cloth clothes.  There was at least one archer because there was an arrow stuck into the horse corpse but none of them seemed to have a bow.  At least two fled before I checked them all, though, after reading page after page about them gnawing a horse to death slowly.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #55086 on: May 28, 2020, 04:08:36 am »

Sounds like hungry refugees to me!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55087 on: May 29, 2020, 02:59:58 am »

I have began work on a tower to the heavens. Or at least to dwarf the necromancer tower next door; bruise their ego before I wipe them out.

I'm also using colorful stones; specifically Serpentine, Cobaltite, and Microcline.

update: and now theres a siege. I barely managed to get moooost of my dwarves inside.

Update: OH GOD, THE PROCEDURALLY GENERATED UNDEAD CAN HAVE BUILDINGDESTROYER

Update again: Well... everyone is dead. We've taken out... exactly 22 of them... while theyve taken out everyone. 60 mousefolk (modded civ, a third the size of a dwarf, so overall, good for the odds)

In the early winter of 645, the mousefolk "Gwen" Crafttowers was struck down by the Bugbear Cursed Butcher Stozu Justicetick The Hungry World of Heart with a Brown Recluse Spider Silk Glove in Worksank...

Did she. Get killed. By a f*cking glove slap?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:01:33 am by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55088 on: May 29, 2020, 10:21:35 am »

The glove was shoved down her throat.  As the thralled bugbear laughed.

In technicality, a misc. object hit is a general strike that have the force of the pummeling arm behind it.  think of a punch with extra weight behind it.  A weapon with the mass of the glove without the elasticity.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55089 on: May 31, 2020, 04:43:13 am »

So can somebody please explain to me why a necromancer and accompanying 'xyz ghoul' are migrating to my fort?

The necro I guess I get, but the ghoul who is supposed to be undead.  Whats happening there.  Is it undead?  Will it start hulkensteining my dwarves on the third blue month of the year?  What are its properties?  Why is it not rotten, despite being born in 71, dying in 229 (of old age), and the being resurrected since?  The game isnt even hiding the fact that he was born in 71.  It seems to think he is still 170 years old.

I will note that in adventure mode Ive had some issues trying to hold a conversation with this new breed of ghoul.   Is this realted to the 'lieutenant' and/or 'undead experiment' advanced worldgen options?  if so, is there some literature I can read on this?

Its all new to me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:46:28 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55090 on: May 31, 2020, 07:42:54 am »

Trying to perfect my solution to unhappy dwarves. One of my first Urist McTempertantrums decided to throw his latest while he was set to a burrow which only included craft guildhalls/inns/temples/museums/dining halls/residential area and the areas connecting them. He was in his god's temple and decided to topple the statue. Now he's one of the world's first vampires and (un)living proof that "The Last" is very much real and he's a vengeful god.

I decided to build a separate fort for him in the same map, entry barred with a chamber with two drawbridges on each side, only controllable from levers behind locked gates in monarch's tomb. He's now a model citizen, a temple dedicated to his god ( complete with a statue commemorating his god cursing him ), his own inn, his royal chambers and a chamber for (visitors) and a big empty hallway downstairs. He's also appointed as our bookkeper.

Every now and then when another dwarf decides to throw tantrums, we open the bridge on our side, resupply some masterwork clothing, some booze/food, some of our special obsidian boulders ( envy of the world, secret ingredient is goblin tears ) take the accumulated tattered stuff. Leave the new dwarf in there and shut the gate on our end, and open the gate leading to his new home.

He gets assigned as a tavern keeper, force-feeding the vampire booze, starts a few bar fights, gets his ass handed over to him, does a few military drills with the vampire and then goes missing. At this point, our vampire bookkeeper carves an obsidian coffin and leaves it on the airlock and makes an obsidian slab and keeps it, satisfying his need for creativity. We open the hatch, find a dead dwarf, take him to the crypts, put him in the obsidian coffin, and vampire creates a slab and builds it in his basement.

Our bookkeper hasn't thrown a temper tantrum ever since he got his private quarters. The system is not without its faults though. Our mayor, with his infinite wisdom and foresight, issued a mandate stating we should build a barrel, followed by a very smart ban on barrel exports decided to have a meeting with our bookkeper. I assume it was because our bookkeeper was doing an excellent job, or to task him to keep closer eye on our barrel count. We wouldn't want any barrels exported now would we ?

According to our bookkeper, mayor decided to spend the night in the guest bedroom and never came back. He was too busy managing the books so he doesn't really know what happened to him or why he might be drained of blood. Oh well, that's life I guess. Our new mayor likes amulets just like our queen ( she may be into weird stuff, she likes, cages , chains and amulets ) so it's fine by us.

Temper tantrums among dwarves have reduced drastically since then. Nowadays, it's just long term poets/bards who start throwing tantrums AFTER being granted citizenships.

I do have some trouble with random massacres in the fort though. ( Interrupted by miller/ interrupted by smith spams, dwarves very much trying to kill each other, no tantrum announcements, with several dwarves hospitalized and then getting killed in their hospital beds, or killed in hallways, justice menu is full of 'accuses somebody's which I'm assuming because the accused is quite likely dead).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:32:31 am by Thon »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55091 on: May 31, 2020, 12:28:25 pm »

Ive had a melancholy vampire, after he vandalized a temple. The vampire turned out to be a great punching bag. Keep in mind, when stress on vampire hit rock bottom, he stopped eating and "drinking". Since he wont die, well not easily, unsure what kills um, he tanked a semimegabeast, until it passed out. Then was to stupid to flee, so tanked it again after its nap.

Ended up keeping him equidistant, in long maze between topside and cavern 2 in a burrow. Set him up as only civ in that burrow, and put a floodgate/lever, to release him on guests stuck pathing in that maze. Stopped masspiting things ontop of him, because of the floating/hovering in freespace bug, some nonflyers exhibit in this patch.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55092 on: May 31, 2020, 12:42:30 pm »

Six different dwarven civilizations sent caravans in the fall.  Their wagons got into a major traffic jam right by the depot and they all fell apart.

Had to retire a fort for that reason. Before my bookkeper vampire days, I had a diplomat platoon where I kept unhappy dwarves traveling to farthest reaches of the world and demanding tributes, in hopes of someone just beating their unarmed asses.

No turns out they just politely refuse and send a caravan the next year.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55093 on: May 31, 2020, 12:51:42 pm »

Six different dwarven civilizations sent caravans in the fall.  Their wagons got into a major traffic jam right by the depot and they all fell apart.

Had to retire a fort for that reason. Before my bookkeper vampire days, I had a diplomat platoon where I kept unhappy dwarves traveling to farthest reaches of the world and demanding tributes, in hopes of someone just beating their unarmed asses.

So sending dwarves to demand tribute is a peaceful way to initiate contact with other civilizations? Interesting...

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55094 on: May 31, 2020, 01:10:49 pm »

So sending dwarves to demand tribute is a peaceful way to initiate contact with other civilizations? Interesting...

IIRC, the only peaceful way.
Pages: 1 ... 3671 3672 [3673] 3674 3675 ... 3835