Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3676 3677 [3678] 3679 3680 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838251 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55155 on: June 14, 2020, 10:08:04 am »

Now why is Kobul doing that, when he ought to be leading his squad, I wonder?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55156 on: June 14, 2020, 12:06:27 pm »

The humans sent me both a diplomat as well as a head treasurer this year.
The diplomat just had a pleasant chit chat and shared some rumors, and now the head treasurer is handling trade requests.

This is new for me, two envoys at once.

EDIT: The diplomat has a nice title as well. " Keeper of the Seal"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:12:51 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55157 on: June 14, 2020, 04:30:48 pm »

Human diplomats/trade diplomats tend to have titles mentioning seals/treasuries, I've noticed. Probably due to them being dynamic positions.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55158 on: June 14, 2020, 11:16:23 pm »

Was clicking around df's civ holdings map(chm).

The rumors change, when ya target other things, never realized that. Found a rumor that had one of my dead visitors in it. Shame she got executed by the noble squad.

Also, while I cheated and looked up a known spy's civ, #1844.  My attempts to find it, failed, I did notice in the chm legend, for the map symbols, that they change with my line of sight, list is far bigger than my 1st glance. Must be a big one.

Never did find where these snake men, who keep spying on me every other month. I wanna raid them, aweshucks.

The only other symbol or loc. with rumors, on chm. OMG I got buggy eyed targeting ea one, to confirm that. I guess I should raid it. 10,000 pop, human, has 30some artifacts. They just changed their "thief"..

Hate to scumsave, but the stories about game crashing from raids have scared me. scumsaving while I write this.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55159 on: June 15, 2020, 07:35:04 pm »

It's not scum if you're avoiding a bug, especially that one :-)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55160 on: June 15, 2020, 09:01:17 pm »

Yeah, it's one thing to go back to a recent save after a crash.  And an entirely different thing to go back to a recent save because you lost your legendary weaponsmith in an entirely preventable accident.

Edit: When the weaponsmith accident happened to my fort, it was the first time I felt the urge to savescum.  But since chaos and death are inevitable in all my forts, I just played on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:04:35 pm by Schmaven »

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55161 on: June 16, 2020, 11:41:52 am »

OBLIGATORY PREFACE:
Angelcrux is a fort situated on both a terrifying glacier (complete with reanimation and thralling clouds) and on a vault, courtesy of DFhack's embark-anywhere. Also it's near a crapload of towers and dwarves are extinct outside of the fortress.

Previous Updates:
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5
Update 6

Haven't posted an update for a while, since I haven't been playing this fort a ton recently. Not a ton of interesting stuff has happened in the recent years, but that's probably for the best. Angelcrux needs a break. The fort has pretty much fallen into routine, and day-to-day life requires little input from me and frankly, little input from the fortress as well. Almost no dwarves are doing actual labor outside of the occasional brew order and the creation of more clothes. Most dwarves spend their time in the dining hall/tavern, enjoying the mist generator, although there's always a few dwarves praying. Normal dwarf stuff, y'know. I have the fortress mechanic and medic beginning scholarly duties to get writing some books, although none have been produced yet. It's not a very high priority. In the caverns, the undead regularly pop up and get culled by the minecart traps. All sections of the caverns are clear of undead for the most part, barring a few reanimated limbs stuck in trees. There is not 100% coverage by the traps (some parts of the caverns are too far for the undead to be lured in) but the pursuit of living wildlife normally gets them in range, and there are always few enough undead that they pose little threat to my FPS, and will be easily defeated by any competent military when I get around to storming the caverns.

There are two schemes that I have currently ongoing, however. The first, and most active one, is the dwarven breeding program. The honeymoon suites have begun seeing actual use, all four of them now. The fort's children are finally starting to grow to adulthood, and I have arranged a marriage between two of them, which fills out our last suite. That's not to say that more couples won't be welcomed: the suites are hardly in constant use, as I mostly just use them to speed up socialization between couples and then let them out once I'm sure they're with child, which is hardly a month's usage. Plus, keeping them in the suites forever is liable to make them upset, though I have very little concern for morale problems seeing as two thirds of the fort is ecstatic and the other third is probably getting there but is mostly comprised of children.

The second scheme is the plan to finally claim a few shards of divine metal from the vault. There'll be nothing as grand as an actual storming of the vault, not for a long time (I was, and still am, quite surprised at how effortlessly my soldiers lost to the guards), but I may have mentioned before that one guard's severed limbs, which are relatively safe to grab, contain enough metal to begin forging and melting the precious metal. A path has been carved right up next to the armor pieces, and when the current undead siege leaves I will quickly move them to the safety of the fort. This seems more a long term goal, but it has recently come to my attention that I am on a bit of a time schedule here. Angelcrux's legendary weaponsmith/armorsmith combo dwarf is 163 years old and not getting any younger. The threat isn't just of losing the skill required to forge exceptional armaments, either. Without a standing military, the reanimated corpse of said legendary smith has the potential of being incredibly dangerous, though of course this threat is somewhat mitigated by the most recent project, one that gives the fort many levers indeed.

Basically, I've obsessively placed bridges over like, everything. The bridges are all over the place, not just on the main level. Should allow me to effectively isolate whatever parts of the fort I need to, which, in the worst case scenario of the fort being overrun, will at least preserve some dwarven life and prevent the total collapse of Angelcrux to whatever is destroying it. There are still some locations that would be exceedingly bad to have overrun, but most every part of the fort has multiple access points, and there are few central locations outside of the dining hall and its neighboring rampcase. The fort has dealt with the overruning of the rampcase before, so it's not the biggest deal out there, and the dining hall isn't that central, so I'm confident in my new safety measures. There are a few doors barred open by various pieces of junk, but that will eventually get handled. Pickaxes will also eventually be distributed to most every reasonable gathering place in the fort, to lay forbidden on the ground as emergency tools. Everydwarf knows that where there's a pickaxe, there's a way.

The fortress is now sixteen years old, and has swelled to 27 population. Well, not swelled by most standards, but I'll take what I can get.

EDIT: Oh right, forgot to mention my other cool artifacts (other than the previous slade warhammer). They're a pair. I'll let their descriptions do the talking.

What's interesting is that these are my first two armor artifacts, and actually, my only armor artifacts, not counting some clothing which I suppose technically classifies as protection. One dwarf had a preference for gauntlets, but the other was just RNJesus deciding my fort needed a wicked pair of gauntlets. Having them as gauntlets is particularly nice because of the grasp protection: no lucky hit will disable the warrior who wears these! Well, outside of upper arm hits, instakills from headshots, spinal injury, and all that stuff. Which is most disabling blows. Whatever. Cool gauntlets!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:22:42 pm by NordicNooob »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55162 on: June 16, 2020, 11:43:20 am »

After making a perfectly legit backup. *wink* I succeeded where my last fort, didnt. Plum ran out of civs, in that last one. Whelp, here is a bit of knowledge, I really wished I had, back then. Freed slaves, will seek sanctuary in my base. Not sure if they eventually become my citizen or not. The civs with infamous noble titles, may up your pop, when raid concludes.

Got everyone back, a lil confusing "new arrivals" flag put on my raiding squad. Worked out, helps to nickname them. Brainwashed ideal, in dfhack, ea ex-slave, so as not to lose them to the booze and stress.

I would really like to lower socialize and worship, to priority 5 or 6, in my raws, but am too stupid, to know how. This fortress is 5yr old and jobs are backing up, do to these two new unnecessry features. Its really got my woodcutters borked. I have to wait almost a season to fell a tree.

I think, not sure. But the sanctuary guys all met, individually in mayor's office with the a U, but I thought my mayor was a dorf. Not exactlh sure, it was late when that excitment occured.

Bellow, Tongues of Swallowing, in the mazes I painted off inbetween cavern 2 and cavern 3 layers a catwalk over a Deep pit was placed, it has been successfully taking out crundles but not elk birds. Birds mustnt fall after a dodge onto open space. Its a 6+ fall if theyre wingless pests and dodge a fallen boulder.

Corpse recovery has been busy down there. This task on a normal stress game would be horrible without a wheelbarrel. Does anyone know if dorfs who pass a corpse SP wheelbarrel get -stress, really aught not, because the premiasma deadbody's in the w-barrel?

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55163 on: June 16, 2020, 01:36:19 pm »

Micromanaging trades for exotic seeds and micromanaging my single kitchen with linked stockpiles is paying off.
13 out of my 18 dwarves now have stacks of meals with their favourite booze ingredient.  I am growing 11 of them, I import durians from the elves and cassave from the humans, because that wont grow in my climate, the other 5 drinks are unobtainable from the caravans.

It's not too much of a hassle, a stack of meals made from favourite booze + salt water croc eggs, dwarven syrup/quarry bush leaves and elephant meat will last a while.
It's so satisfying to see most of my dwarves with "was delighted after eating a legendary meal", "content after having a pretty decent drink" and "level-headed after eating a good meal".

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55164 on: June 16, 2020, 07:28:07 pm »

I've learned not to carve out a winding elevated 1-tile-wide walkway and then ask my dwarves to dump stones that require them to use the walkway.  Dwarves that had gotten a drink just before going off to haul stones were flashing blue arrows before they were even halfway back to the start of the path.

Anyways, I've started a new fortress now.  Let's see if Boltsfissure does any better...

Edit:

And  Boltsfissure falls to a single (normal) iguana before my dwarves can even get their stuff underground...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:50:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55165 on: June 16, 2020, 11:52:10 pm »

Almost made it to year 10 with this fort.  For some reason during the siege a dwarf in my fortress showed as injured without any report of fighting and the only things that it showed that he was shocked due to injury and that his lungs weren't working and he couldn't breathe.  Just broke the siege composed of goblin and dwarf fortresses due to incoming visiting night stalkers one of which was a Dwaf Mercenry coffin stalker (which I assume was an undead) that took out half of the invasion on his own.  Then a loyalty cascade happened and all the dwarves started fighting each other.  I'm going to write off that world and start up a new one which I'm going to practice some minor modding on and try to set up better defenses.   I almost feel like the dwarf was a targeted assassination of some kind.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55166 on: June 17, 2020, 07:15:51 am »

Lungs not working is a side effect of getting served a drink by a tavern keeper / performer.  Allowing drinks to be served in the tavern can be lethal.  But usually the dwarf snaps out of it in time to puke and survive.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55167 on: June 17, 2020, 08:16:45 am »

intelligent undead can cause ranged syndromes, some of which can include shortness of breath.  all of the 'can' in my statment implies random chance.  they can apply random syndromes, and that can include or be implicitly shortness of breath.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55168 on: June 17, 2020, 11:52:34 pm »

Found an elk bird gizzard stone, faded yellow diamond. I guess it came from him.

Playing on Fastdwarf 0 1, to keep squads united in their combined efforts of monster slaying. Also have hunters on superdwarf. To keep leather supply robust enough, to dress the small and large races.

Got sick of all the oddball leathers in stock list for tanned hides, so piled um all up, and changed them to grizzly bear leather, a 15U leather, most are 5U.

Made a bunch of small stuff for my bluejay man with it. Well, to make this story shorter, in came the next Caravan.

It contained bins of leather. Guess what kind? grizzly bear, so the "changeitem here" dfHack is far more long armed and overreaching than just ontop the items on tile under the cursor.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:53:56 am by knutor »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55169 on: June 20, 2020, 08:20:59 am »

It was the middle of Summer in CraftRiddle.  The populace was depressed, getting into fights, and being arrested.  You know, normal.   Suddenly there was a red announcement.  The populace had found a married female Dwarf drained of blood. Because everybody sleeps in a dorm/barrack set-up there was two witnesses.  It turned out to be the Mayor (who is also a Militia Captain).   Luslemavuz was from the 9th wave of migrants and many clues in his desc suggested he MAY be the vampire.  On the other hand he didn't know a lot of people so I don't know how he became Mayor.  I assume the Elves rigged the election.  Anyway, I ordered the Justice system to do its duty.

The Justice system decided he needed to be punished with 50 hammerstrikes.  But the Hammerer decided to fish first.  Then he grabbed the Mayor in the middle of half the town gathering fruit in the forest.  Just grabbed him in front of everybody.  Then he chained the vampire up with the other prisoners.  THEN he hammered him - covering one of the prisoners, and much of the area around the holding area, with lots of blood.  Splashed all over the place.

The Ex-Mayor, since I had selected another Mayor and a new Militia Captain, was then taken to the hospital by the Hammerer.  Funny enough the Hammerer seem to be the most mellow of all my Dwarfs.  Not sure how that works....

Anyway, the vampire will likely recover, he is a vampire, but I doubt he will be able to walk without a crutch.  Every bone in every limb were broken, his wrists and ankles were turned into pulp, and even his lungs were damaged.  And once he is healed he is heading for the "Were" Room.  I am NOT having a vampire in my town.  I had problems with them in older versions and I am not suffering them in this version.

My town does seem to have issues with the supernatural....
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 3676 3677 [3678] 3679 3680 ... 3836