Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3682 3683 [3684] 3685 3686 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787172 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55245 on: July 11, 2020, 09:23:09 am »

bridges function as walls when deactivated.  thats my use for them.

I often put my trade depot underground near the edge of the map, with ramps downward and use a bridge on the surface such that it's "closed" when it isn't active, and "opens" by raising it.  I generally do this in heavily forested areas to prevent the embuggerance of trees suddenly popping up at the worst possible times.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55246 on: July 11, 2020, 10:48:07 am »

Bridges aren't useless... their use is that they enable you to cross rivers. Not stop people from crossing them. That is the opposite of their use.

To clarify what I meant: they're useless as walls unless they've been raised up via lever, which I forgot to do in this case. It was being used to block a tunnel into the fort, which obviously didn't wort.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:01:01 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Blackadder

• Bay Watcher
  • Ask about our insanely low rate on !FUN! insurance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55247 on: July 11, 2020, 01:27:08 pm »

I just finished getting my tavern set-up and properly stocked, when a human bard petitions to join the fortress as an entertainer. I cautiously accepted and shortly after he drunkenly proclaimed himself to be the lord of the town he came from (The Band of Hounds) which is on the other side of the continent. He is now officially the lord of a town he no longer lives in.

My favorite part is that his title reads as "Lord", making it seem like he's much more important than he probably is.
Urist McWrestler: "Hmm, maybe if I bite his ear with my front top teeth, bite his foot with my front bottom teeth, and bite his right hand with my back bottom teeth, I can easily win this fight!"
It's not a real PARTY until the queen has a baby, picks it up, kills two goblins by punching THROUGH THE SKULL with her remaining hand, and then finishes off half a barrel of fungus wine while still nursing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55248 on: July 11, 2020, 02:00:17 pm »

Love, scriver~

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55249 on: July 12, 2020, 10:32:23 am »

My favorite part is that his title reads as "Lord", making it seem like he's much more important than he probably is.

Wait for him to petition for citizenship, accept, marry to a healthy gal, see if the children inherit the title.

I tried something like this in 0.44.x, but it FPS-died.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55250 on: July 12, 2020, 01:38:20 pm »

The king of another Dwarf civ just now petitioned for permanent citizenship in my fort. I expect his civ to fall in line, of course  :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55251 on: July 12, 2020, 10:23:45 pm »

Organizing military gear. Made am empty uniform. Put all 5 squads in it, then reset them highest to lowest gear demand back into their armor.

One soldier had a.. (Catastrphe of Night Dress) on. Did a dfHack:changeitem info on it. Very strange garbled characters showed up, where material of dress would have been listed. This cloth or leather?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55252 on: July 13, 2020, 01:01:45 am »

Organizing military gear. Made am empty uniform. Put all 5 squads in it, then reset them highest to lowest gear demand back into their armor.

One soldier had a.. (Catastrphe of Night Dress) on. Did a dfHack:changeitem info on it. Very strange garbled characters showed up, where material of dress would have been listed. This cloth or leather?
That's leather. Made from the hide of a Catastrophe of Night (that's a necromancer experiment creature).

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #55253 on: July 13, 2020, 05:52:08 am »

Embarked on a mountain/desert volcano, lots of white sand ready for a glass industry. The wagon arrived on the volcano summit so I made a walled compound on top and started digging. I thought I brought enough booze until the caravan comes in Autumn, but migrant waves made the alcohol in short supply. I also forgot to bring wood for beds, and surface crops.

I got a siege message very early, before summer, and panicked because my walls didn't even have fortifications yet. I sent a miner to breach the lop of the volcano and shut the doors hoping the lava would remove the problem.

The siege was just one zombie from the neighboring tower and got killed by  some camels before the lava reached them. Unfortunately, the caravan arrived at the same time  and merrily rode their cart straight into the flow. The merchant didn't make it, and the cart and buffalo careened off the map trailing smoke

People started dying of dehydration so the miners beelined for the caverns but both died as soon as it was exposed. The rest of the fort explored the cavern looking for water, buy none made it. A diplomat arrived to greet an empty mountaintop fortress, with bodies littered throughoit the cavern

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55254 on: July 13, 2020, 07:26:54 am »

Something called a putrid one something lord showed up and just casually killed a roc on the way in.  Then it moved incredibly slowly (it took a month to get to a temple), just stood there for another couple months, and took another month to leave.  I was very relieved that whatever this thing was wasn't hostile.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55255 on: July 13, 2020, 09:01:52 am »

He likely changed his mind because of how much your fort rocked
Love, scriver~

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55256 on: July 13, 2020, 09:13:11 am »

That's leather. Made from the hide of a Catastrophe of Night (that's a necromancer experiment creature).
Thank you. I havent played much with undead, last attempt with undeads was years ago.  It was not a good experience, but gaits changes have really honed um sharp. Their sieges are pretty fun, nowadays. Looking fwd to next one.

Just openned up, the public Tavern. The Bakery of Thunder. Playing a very densely populated 65x65, 1012yr perfectworld, on 3rd yr, its full ps parameters exceed postlimits, or I'd share. Two tower neighbors, skulkers, elves, humans and gobs. I've embarked in center, top left for best neighbors, disabled stress and booze death in save raws.

Goofed on 9 my cheat tamed reptile men. They have tails, so I copy and pasting orca's tail slap into their raw, does nothing. Gave them Human scholar code, same. Bugged um. They are using 9 guest room beds, tho. Still wearing (tame) flag.

15 humans and 4 elves showed up to drink booze, before I even had seats, tables, rooms and a tavern keeper. It did have a 1.x million+ Urist artifact armor stand, and 12 stationary instruments.

Only problem I see with this very deep, in magma layers, public tavern is with the Monster Hunters. They think they are hunting, when they just stand in my dwarfmade maze inbetween caverns 1-2, but on a cavern layer. Well, on a rat cave z level.

Lol, I tried to cheat improve the 2nd Monster Hunter's gear, and after I did, he hunted himself right off of cavern 1 embark edge map wallcrack. Oops. He wasnt a civ yet, boy hes loaded for bear now. Steel mastercraft, gear.

Met my 1st gremlin in that maze. Dont bother cheat taming those, they stay Hostile with (tame). Exterminated him.

Got 1st FB. Had syndrome blood. After shock troops 1 and 2, eradicated him, I stationed them all in a 2/7 - 3/7 murky pool.

Contemplating creating a 3rd surface tavern, civ+guest, with a grove in it, to attract more elves. Ive got a civ and public tavern, thus far. Both Tavernkeeps have 15 social awareness.

I'm sitting at a clinic waiting for a friend to take covid test. Rambling.

Bought two cougars from elves, a mating pair. Tweaked um with gui/gm-unit, to be war cougars, with really high violence and martial prowess. Also hit um both twice with elevate-physical and chained um inside drawbridge. They have 5 Observe and 5 Fighter.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55257 on: July 13, 2020, 12:14:28 pm »

okaaay. I was not expecting the gcs which I kidnapped by way of dfhack to LOSE against the giant mosquito who was similarly abducted.

What a heck dum guy
I even healed the friggin spider.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55258 on: July 13, 2020, 04:10:16 pm »

Their pretty fragile w/o web. Ive been giving them observe 5, bite 5, and ambush 5, fighter 5, and hunt training. They lack body parts and armor. Not sure how to get a tame one to shoot its web. I think it has something to do with their ethics vs neutrals. It did do it once for me, but hAvent been able to reproduce.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55259 on: July 14, 2020, 03:17:20 pm »

Their pretty fragile w/o web. Ive been giving them observe 5, bite 5, and ambush 5, fighter 5, and hunt training. They lack body parts and armor. Not sure how to get a tame one to shoot its web. I think it has something to do with their ethics vs neutrals. It did do it once for me, but hAvent been able to reproduce.
I've used a hostile goblin or a forgotten beast for a target to some success.
Pages: 1 ... 3682 3683 [3684] 3685 3686 ... 3835