Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3683 3684 [3685] 3686 3687 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789666 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55260 on: July 14, 2020, 11:46:44 pm »

Strange mood. Ilmenite table. Does dfHack command set on table work with magma?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55261 on: July 15, 2020, 10:56:05 am »

Got a nice fort going on, started yet again with the idea of just the starting seven and their descendants. Now I'm 55 years in and the fort is "finished".
Spoiler: Stonesense (click to show/hide)
The top left structure is for nobles, top right is for religions and stuff, and the middle one is a mausoleum where the starting seven will eventually rest (5 still alive). They have masterwork platinum Sarcophagi decorated with masterwork gold and silver pictures (took ages and materials to make the final "perfect" product).

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55262 on: July 15, 2020, 02:37:04 pm »

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!
OBLIGATORY PREFACE:
Angelcrux is a fort situated on both a terrifying glacier (complete with reanimation and thralling clouds) and on a vault, courtesy of DFhack's embark-anywhere. Also it's near three towers and dwarves are extinct outside of the fortress. In addition, there is light modding to replace goblins with bugbears (big hairy goblins), make humans a bit more norse-like, and give dwarves a few new weapons.

A lot of time has passed (both in real life and in-game) since I last gave an update on Angelcrux. The fort is just celebrating its 70th birthday.

Here's what's been going on:

The cavern invasion project is pretty much finished. The sub-project of flooring over the majority of the caverns is the only part left, and has been a low priority thing going on for a decade or two.

The hell invasion is long since done and over with, and it went unfortunately poorly. The initial wave was defeated using spikes, but some stray demons (perhaps remnants of the initial wave, seeing as regular demons don't try to get up into the fort) were able to get in to the fort and inflict significant civilian casualties, all due to my own carelessness of forgetting to lock hell back up and leaving the fort semi-idle. I still have yet to actually invade hell, but the clown car is defeated.
Casualty report:
- 6 deaths
- 1 crippled marksdwarf, retired. (missing leg made him unable to pick up ammo because of his crutch)
- 1 Bruised ego
In more positive news, the invasion gave me three decades worth of food and an absurd amount of bone, a good chunk of which I just turned into bolts to let my marksdwarves destroy.

There have been two more deaths, both of age, outside the demon incident. First was the old queen, Lolor, who was promptly replaced by Atir Cloisterthrows, the seventh daughter of Lolor. Rakust still did end up making a move: shortly after Lolor's death he claimed the position of General, perhaps denoting that the final remainders of the Celebrated Glazes (my civ) outside of the fortress have all perished.

The demon incident was actually quite some time ago (about two decades), so all losses have been replaced with new children, who are already of age just finished with their artifact spree. Quite a few useful artifacts came of it, foremost among them the fort's third slade warhammer. The fortress mechanic died at an inconvenient time (any child to replace them will not have any potential spouses), so I've chosen not to fire up the honemoon suites, and so far no new child has been born, leaving the fortress population at 39.

Oh right, and one more unfortunate incident: when Urvad, the mechanic, died, his reanimated corpse was close to the animal pastures and killed off the only ram.

My future plans still remain fairly unchanged: I will construct an obsidian farm and conduct a full invasion of hell, then move on to claiming the surface. However, there is one notable addition that I might pursue: guildhall honeymoon suites. Currently, when a dwarf dies, their skills are lost and the next generation needs to start over from scratch, churning out low quality items for ages (since I often have only the occasional need for said skill). But! If I can have an apprentice training program by locking two dwarves in a guildhall together, I can quickly and effectively train up a new generation of workers so that I can preserve skill over the ages. I've already tested the effectiveness of such a plan with weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, and architecture, and have been able to turn the entire fort legendary in a matter of just a few years. It seems like a master/apprentice program will be more effective than locking two unskilled dwarves together and letting them figure things out, but both should be usable if I have unexpected deaths of my artisan workers rather than them passing of the predictable calamity of time.

With everything else taken care of, I think it's high time for a tour of the fortress. A fair amount has changed since I last gave a full overview of the fortress, which was an awful long time ago.

Starting from the top:
Spoiler: Fort entryway (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vault paths (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Top layer of fort (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Food layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Buffer layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Main layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Forge layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Guildhall layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Candy mines (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Circus invasion spot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Minecart filler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fort pop (click to show/hide)

DEMOGRAPHICS:
Angelcrux stands at 39 population and 148 million wealth, and is 70 years old.
Births ( 8 ): Nish Pagechanneled, Ilral Specialceiling, Iton Paddletraded, Sigun Gloriesceiling, Sibrek Scupltceilings, Iton Delightgilt, Oddom Perfectlancer, Fath Coastbridges

Deaths ( 9 ): Lolor Packedpainted, Queen and Engraver; (Age)
Catten Vaultcities, Mason; (Demon incident)
Rovod Paintedringed, Weaver; (Demon incident)
Urvad Hatchetair, Mechanic; (Age)
Kubuk Pickcalls, Marksdwarf; (Demon incident)
Catten Axescours, Farmhand; (Demon incident)
Solon Romancerims, Furnace Operator; (Demon incident)
Kivish Boottips, Miner; (Demon incident)
Fath Coastbridges, Infant. (Demon incident)

Happiness: 3 happy, 36 ecstatic

QUESTIONS:
And lastly, two questions.
1. Should I pursue supersoldiers? Rakust & Co are incredible warriors, but they're still just dwarves. I don't see myself needing supersoldiers, but it would be an interesting project: the creation of the best warriors possible.
2. Seeing as these updates are pretty long reads, should I make a thread for Angelcrux?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:23:51 pm by NordicNooob »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55263 on: July 15, 2020, 03:28:49 pm »

2. Seeing as these updates are pretty long reads, should I make a thread for Angelcrux?

Yes please :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55264 on: July 15, 2020, 05:25:41 pm »

+1
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55265 on: July 15, 2020, 05:48:06 pm »

+1
Indeed you should.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55266 on: July 16, 2020, 12:09:52 am »

1. Depends what your goal for supersoldier is going to be, I would not send them raiding in this version. A few tame war animals on any animal handler can raid well enough. However, for Siege defense some supers maybe useful.

I am at the point where I have to send squads out to retrieve "family owned" artifacts. Prolly send 5 of these hunters, I just gotta change skills around. I guess they still use ambush, without the hunter skill on away missions. So much is obscured with these raids. Gimme a table or chart, watching the results blink in, is neat, the 1st time, but has no lasting appeal, unlike a clearly charted table.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55267 on: July 16, 2020, 04:45:35 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55268 on: July 18, 2020, 08:06:04 am »

After a too-long session of planning, I finally Strike the Earth! I dig out the first farm chamber, and while I'm setting out plump helmet spawns I notice a warning that there are no seeds for quarry bushes. Double-check my inventory and nope, no nuts. So I finagle the save to re-check the embark screens and whaddayaknow: it slipped past my notice the first time around, but there are no rock nuts to be scrounged in the whole Contested Crafts of Savagery. I wonder if one of our kings was allergic or something?

Not exactly a big deal. But this is the only dwarf civilization in my pocket world, so no hope of inducing trade for some. Aaaand this is a weird custom worldgen with many, many extra layers so I have space for testing !Fun with Magma! ideas. I was planning to get my magma from the volcano's tube, not much reason to visit the singular cavern until now. The quarry bushes are 105z down.

I may just forego the luxuries of chewy gray salads and granite-scented soap.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55269 on: July 18, 2020, 07:06:14 pm »

When I cheat in dfHack I usually feel dirty and a little bit unfit to post about it. Like, for example, changeitem m INORGANIC:DIAMOND_LY here, on all my uncut gem in the QSP.  Here is why tonight felt smug and good about using dfHack.

Spos, FB shows up. Large Humanoid made up of coral. 2 Tails, and an AoE poison gas. I burrowed everyone inside at once. Cept the visiting human bowman, he was on Monster Slayer, in that same cavern as Spos. Spos goes about gasing 6-7 crundle, then proceeds across map. Oh it looks like he swims! Have Spos on follow. Great he and Monster Slayer(MS)are gonna fight, I think. This should be fun.

Behan is the human bowman MS, but he must be in ambush. FB walks by him. Ill check later if he even has it, he didnt move towards FB. FB pathed down center of cavern, Behan was in lower left center immobile, prolly after a crundle.

Well, FB finds the ONE ramp in cavern that really mattered, in no time at all. That ramp led into a critter den, which connects caverns. Spos has Onstar, I guess. Now he paths up thru critter den. Across next cavern, to a cavern lake. This lake is 3z deep, 1/4 of cavern large, runs in from open cavern cracks. Bottom is tapped, and drains into my well. Lost a dorf miner, bottom tapping that edge filled cavern lake. Its floodgate hangs open. Its filtration bars no hindrance to the FG. Who is now swimming up the pipe.

Swum down 3z, into well pipe, which runs clear across a 5x5 embark map, changing levels 4x, zigzaging. It is almost to the hospital well basin, so I cheat, as it so obviously has been doing to me. Exterminated it, with gleeful exuberance. Then proceeded to dump it in with the common beast corpses. But it left only smoke behind. No large meat piles.

The reason for me saying it cheated on me, was because after it faught crundles, one ankle and both arms were broken. Things with broken limbs, swimming? Really? And I am worried about dorf on dorf psychology, and a humanoid FB swims for days with a limp kick and no arms. It had tails Knutor, you may want to say.

To that I say, it had Coral, yet squeezed thru my arrowslit fortification and filtration wall bars. No, a cheat for a cheat, leaves everyone with one eye. ha.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55270 on: July 18, 2020, 08:07:16 pm »

The reason for me saying it cheated on me, was because after it faught crundles, one ankle and both arms were broken. Things with broken limbs, swimming? Really? And I am worried about dorf on dorf psychology, and a humanoid FB swims for days with a limp kick and no arms. It had tails Knutor, you may want to say.

I had something like this happen with a troll who somehow swam up 50z layers of downflowing water, where I had (for dumb reasons I won't explain now) drained a brook into the caverns and put a floodgate at the bottom (don't do this use raising bridges instead) but it had through various other stupidities on my part become broken.

The thing was a page long list of injuries by the time it got to the top and somehow still killed two dwarves.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55271 on: July 18, 2020, 09:30:19 pm »

That troll of yours had GPS, too, by the sounds of it? Swims with broke limbs and finds the 1 ramp among hundreds of ramps in a cavern full of ramps that leads him to a sure victory, does so impressively quick.

Behan my visiting Monster Slayer, had no Ambush, btw. It just passed right over him to use that one ramp. Maybe Spos was on a "no human" diet.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55272 on: July 19, 2020, 08:33:24 am »

I just had something strange happen.
For context, I've got a system set up to cage-trap FBs using the webs of another FB. This works fine for the most part, but it doesn't work against other web-spraying FBs because those are web-immune. Up until now I've just been collecting all the webbers in holding cells, but I've been doing some experiments to try and find ways to put them in cages.

One of my caged FBs has an interesting syndrome which causes targets to become drowsy and eventually fall unconscious, so I set up a pair of holding cells with fortifications between them. One cell is filled with cage traps and is intended to hold the webber, while the other is just a normal cell for the syndrome FB. The plan was that the syndrome would cause the webber to fall unconscious on the cage traps, but it never progressed beyond "very drowsy". After a year or two I gave up and opened the bridge so I could move the webber back to its normal holding cell. As soon as it took a single step off the cage traps, it instantly fell to the ground and is now flickering between "drowsy" and "unconscious" every hundred ticks or so. It seems that either the cage traps or the webs covering them (its own webs) were preventing it from becoming unconscious.

I'll have to run some more experiments to find out what exactly is causing it. Either way, it's immensely frustrating.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55273 on: July 19, 2020, 08:58:13 am »

One of my caged FBs has an interesting syndrome which causes targets to become drowsy and eventually fall unconscious
If this works on FBs you can use this to catch even webbing FBs. Also, you can use it to feed prisoners to any vampires you have in the fort.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55274 on: July 19, 2020, 09:09:23 am »

If this works on FBs you can use this to catch even webbing FBs. Also, you can use it to feed prisoners to any vampires you have in the fort.
That's exactly what I was trying to do. It does work on FBs, but apparently not when they're standing on top of cage traps and webs. I'm not sure whether it was the cage traps or the webs causing the issue.
Pages: 1 ... 3683 3684 [3685] 3686 3687 ... 3835