Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3689 3690 [3691] 3692 3693 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786878 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55350 on: August 12, 2020, 07:26:28 pm »

So far in Waywardstakes, two dwarves have apparently committed suicide by attempting to climb up a waterfall from underneath.  I used gui/teleport to get one of them to safety, but he just went right back again.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55351 on: August 12, 2020, 07:37:24 pm »

One of my scholars was bit by a werepanda, and survived. I want him to keep contributing to the research effort. So I'm going to build him a little cell next to the library, to see if he can contribute to the group discussions through fortifications.
Mind that a Fortification provides Line of Sight, so your Dorfs may panic when he transforms.  I advise adding a raising bridge in front of the fortification to block sight as needed.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55352 on: August 12, 2020, 10:05:12 pm »

One of my scholars was bit by a werepanda, and survived. I want him to keep contributing to the research effort. So I'm going to build him a little cell next to the library, to see if he can contribute to the group discussions through fortifications.
Mind that a Fortification provides Line of Sight, so your Dorfs may panic when he transforms.  I advise adding a raising bridge in front of the fortification to block sight as needed.
Yeah, it's not practical. I'm just curious to see if it'll work.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55353 on: August 12, 2020, 11:17:44 pm »

One of the dwarves that committed suicide came back from beyond the grave, but I was able to successfully put him down again.

Cpt Kennedy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55354 on: August 13, 2020, 12:49:12 am »

I've been playing on and off for almost 10 years, I just made my first magma pump and magma forge, I've always been to afraid (or lazy, or died trying) to do it before.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55355 on: August 13, 2020, 01:25:04 pm »

Is it possible in Fortress or adventure to self-thrall?

By getting caught in an enthralling mist. They'll stop being fort members I think tho
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55356 on: August 13, 2020, 01:54:06 pm »

Well, I had a three-eyed giant robin attack me:

After that, a speardwarf, who went hostile due to hunting down an artifact, nicked a couple of my dwarves, including my mayor:

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55357 on: August 13, 2020, 03:09:57 pm »

(Talking about uninvited guest and artifacts...)

The Forgotten Beast Bora Simorubsit (Bora Echoeddung), a boiling extract ejecting quetzal, found a way into the halls of Bridgehammer, despite the dwarves' (and their overseer's) belief that the first cavern layer and its monstrosities had been safely sealed behind a drawbridge. In the stone stockpile beneath the mason's, craftsdwarf's, mechanic's and jeweller's workshops, it encountered the gem cutter Lolor Medtobborush who did not like being interrupted from collecting materials for an artifact and went berserk, attacking the beast. It struck her down immediately.

Two squads of the military and a dwarfen child piled up on the beast, and finally, Ducim Cerolidor, a mason and novice speardwarf, pierced the beast's lung with her ≡copper spear≡.

Noone else was killed, but Bridgehammer's overseer might want to reevaluate the fortress' security.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:18:22 pm by rostbot »

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55358 on: August 13, 2020, 05:53:55 pm »

Yeah, it's not practical. I'm just curious to see if it'll work.

It works! And it's even practical! Scholars don't need pathing or line of sight to discuss a topic. They just need to be in the same contiguous activity zone. So my werepanda can continue to contribute to the scholarly discussion from within her cell, without even scaring anyone with her monthly antics.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55359 on: August 13, 2020, 06:09:10 pm »

Oh, that also works for Inns and temples too btw. Keep your vampires/werebeasts sane for longer with the handy dandy corner of their room that overlaps with the forts tavern and temple zones!

Actually they probably have to be directly adjacent to someone in order to properly socialize, but that shouldn't be a big deal, right? They can still participate in poems and stories
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55360 on: August 14, 2020, 11:15:53 pm »

We set one of Our Dwarfs to engraving Parts of the Fortress as Training, and he produced the following Image:

We have never met Violetrim, and We do not want to.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55361 on: August 14, 2020, 11:47:31 pm »

In Waywardstakes, the dwarves are currently digging and fitting out rooms for the Turquoise Onions.

Mulling whether or not to give the dwarves something similar as well...

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55362 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:04 pm »

Recently started up my first serious fortress of the Villains release cycle (I know, I've been really preoccupied with adventure mode until now :P). I've had three necromancers show up within the space of two migrant waves. Is it mortalist of me to assume they're plotting something?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55363 on: August 16, 2020, 09:02:52 pm »

Recently started up my first serious fortress of the Villains release cycle (I know, I've been really preoccupied with adventure mode until now :P). I've had three necromancers show up within the space of two migrant waves. Is it mortalist of me to assume they're plotting something?
No. Visitor necromancers most likely are. But migrants are just regular (undead) citizens buggily sent to your fortress. Be aware that they'll raise nearby corpses if attacked. And they won't necessarily be loyal to the necromancer or anyone else in your fortress (your own dwarves should retain loyalty after death though).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:04:24 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55364 on: August 17, 2020, 01:01:10 am »

Operation IceTower had some initial successes. There's a 10-story 20x21 near the shore, so I got ambitious. It's all made of ice. If you dig when it's too warm in the year you "salty water" instead of ice boulders, and they also melt in transit. So my ice tower 100 squares in-shore has to rely on the creek. So now I am digging a 50x50 pit, and filling it with the biggest tower dwarvenly possible can. First priority is to get the five under-sea-ever stories done so that it is water-tight, because the freeze/unfreeze cycle will destroy many constructions (especially bridges). Others (such as stairs) disappear, but when you re-mine out the square they come back.

However there are two unexpected problems:

1) I ran out of booze. It's a freezing biome, and there were 130ish of the little twerps, so they're dying of thirst. Solution: work like the dickens until the great unfreezing for the purpose of Dwarven science, then save-scum and do something about the booze sit before half my starting seven die. I may be forced to interact with the caverns.

2) I just got invaded by a Wereass. This is a nice change for my militia, whose previous victims were a giant crab and a handful of kobolds, but it will screw up the timeline.

EDIT Down to 20 guys, and still no thaw, but even with the death of the entire labor force I gor a good 35% done. So if I figure out the water situation this should be very viable.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:52:47 am by nickbii »
Pages: 1 ... 3689 3690 [3691] 3692 3693 ... 3835