Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5832455 times)

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Large housing complex. Complete with lush green grass, marble walkways, Obsidian statues, Undead Elephants... I really should have considered walling my compound before creating the house complexes...

Bad_Skeelz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »

After securing a good supply of metal for my Factory Floor, I'm getting rid of all my stone. Namely, by building a 20 by 20 pyramid next to the road leading to my entrance. All dark stone (Andesite and Obsidian, mostly), and hopefully with rooms inside. I might put my noble's rooms inside of it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 01:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG>( I don't know what it is about Microline that I love so much )</STRONG>

maybe because at first glance it looks like adamantine?

I have trouble actually seeing my fortresses to completion. On the one I'm playing now, I'm removing all stone and placing it in a single tile garbage dump.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Scratchmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

Recovering from a hydra attack and considering abandoning because of the amount of tantruming dwarves ripping the fort apart (also, there's no sand, no permanent water source and no metal aside from silver in the region I chose, so I might want to just start over anyway).

Raiden333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 04:02:00 am »

Looking for somewhere to start over because I dug "too deep" and one thing led to another.

grand master milker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 04:41:00 am »

i read the words parties,shops and lava pumps and frankly this bemuses and scares me! i'm finding it hard to get further then 5 years before all my dwarves go insane and start commiting kitten genocide because of their crippling alcholism.........

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 07:58:00 am »

Building catapult and ballista towers at regular intervals close to the map edge. only reachable via underground castle with above ground tower and bridges to all siege towers. Pretty effective in dealing with goblin sieges (6 siege operators, 4 legendary). Platforms to hold 4 siege weapons each, so they can fire in all directions without having the same line of fire.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

I'm almost done building a wall around my fortress, after which I will pave the courtyard to attract the king.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hakar:
<STRONG>I'm almost done building a wall around my fortress, after which I will pave the courtyard to attract the king.</STRONG>

Pave it with gold. I have enough gold to do this, three large veins so far though two may be one that bent 180 degrees. I hope not.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 06:25:23 pm »

Well, I have my Human fort going nicely, just experienced my first goblin ambush of the fort. just completed the 10 human-specialized graves I've been needing sense the ambush... just completed the 5th floor of my human apartment building... saw a giant eagle... made some more graves... oh yea, I struck borax for the 10th time. Used the iron from the goblins to make some reasonable equips. Found a person who's perfectly agile... yea... he's fast. So I made a new emergency rescue squad with my 5 best agile people. Bought some cheese from the caravan... ate it. made a whip vine farm/mill. that's the run down for this year. oh and I'm making a castle for nobles.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:15 pm »

After years of orc sieges, I finally progressed my fort enough to get goblin sieges. Goblins... really suck. Not trap-immune, weak armor, and lousy fighters. My dwarves are killing them with their sparring weapons. Of course, it helps that I have 40 soldiers, so half the time my dwarves are more skilled, better armored, and outnumber the goblins, but even then, I've seen soldiers who got ahead of the pack wade waist deep in goblins and emerge without a scratch. My number one casualties are baby-shields, though it's only about a 30% mortality rate (most of them are born to my marksdwarves, and a few have survived with just mangled or broken limbs).

I've finished the first layer of of the scaffolding for my cast obsidian tower. I plan to engrave the outside with masterwork engravings and dig out living and storage space in it, then maybe retrofit the magma pumps into a boatmurdered "Operation fuck the world" lever just for grins.

Edit: The countess just showed up, along with 20 dwarves. Damnit, I was already past the pop-cap, now I'm at 124 dwarves. My poor processor, I'm down to 24 FPS. On the bright side, while she loves mithril, at least I have that, unlike my titanium mayor. If I didn't like the dwarf, I'd splatter her guts in a second. I may mod one of the colored gold reactions to produce titanium to save my dwarves necks now that the hammerer has arrived.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:50:30 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 10:23:03 pm »

Let's see, I have four right now.

In Icywaters they are trying to decide how best to penetrate a two-layer aquifer.  They have both magma and arctic temperatures at their disposal, as well as the boring and inconvenient method of simply making staircases right next to the magma pipe.  In the meantime, they are cozied up to the warmth of the magma pipe, eating plump helmets and drinking aquavit (I use reindeer moss).  They have all three types of caravans, but not much to trade at the moment since they have very little rock available.  These Dwarves were obviously shipwrecked, since my first view of them was of waves washing over their wagon.  This was a regen-restart in order to get some custom plants growing properly (BIOME statement error).

In Bittersweetness they are trying to find some place to put another 1000 Dwarfbucks worth of road so that the King/Queen will please come and occupy these palatial quarters prepared for them.  Overall, the fortress is working well.  There is no magma, but they have lots of coal.  There is sadly no flux either on the map or for sale.  There is power from waterwheels on a brook running through the aboveground statue garden and turtle-pond area.  They just got their first Elite Marksdwarf.  They are trying to cultivate a herd of domesticated elephants, since their hunters kept getting trampled to death hunting wild ones.

In Hotcakes they are trying to decide how best to join the forging area to the rest of the complex.  Hotcakes is a tropical volcanic island with a troglydyte cave complex and undead ocean life.  They only have the Dwarven caravan, so supplies have to stretch.  There is zero wind, and no stream.  They will have to make a stream from the somewhat fragmented aquifer, which is unfortunately in the opposite direction from the magma relative to their entrance.  This map has huge amounts of obsidian.  One of their goals is to build a pyramid over the opening to the walled garden, above the delving.  This was a regen-restart in order to get some custom plants growing properly (BIOME statement error).

I just restarted Riverwalls.  It is on a map with a huge river and a very long waterfall.  These Dwarves have just successfully arranged to have their Trade Depot accessable, without being killed by hippos or carp.  I think they want to make the fortress, which will be built between the cliffs on either side of the huge river, in the shape of the head of a cat.  I am not at all sure I have the artistic ability for this, but first they have to arrange to survive.  In their previous incarnation, my inattention caused them to run out of booze, and in a fit of perversity, they all ran to the opposite side of the map from some perfectly safe ponds and threw themselves into a carp-filled river.  There is no magma on the map, but I believe I saw some coal, and it is chock full of flux (chalk).
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:47 pm »

The cave crocodiles, after spending about a decade sitting at the far end of the cave breeding but otherwise making no trouble for my fort, suddenly decided to swarm up the one corridor I had dug to the lower river level.  They filled the twenty consecutive cage traps I had filled that corridor with and made it up to the lower living level.  I hastily enlisted half my fort's population ... but for some reason, the crocodiles turned around and returned to the river peacefully after trashing the dungeon master's rooms.

Meanwhile, while the crocodiles were making trouble, a snakeman managed to get into the water-powered repeated which drives the main defense bridge ... in the middle of an orc siege.  I managed to raise the emergency bridge, never used since it was first installed, to stop the siegers from making it into the fortress.

The siege has since left.  The passage to the lower river level has been sealed.  I am currently digging a magma channel to purge the crocodile population with fire.  It's the only way to be sure.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 12:43:59 am »

I'll probably get bored and start something new, but if I want a waterfall in my dining room I need to build about six levels worth of pumps up from the underground river. Also working on an underground road all the way to the edge of the map.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 03:46:11 am »

I'm trying to recover from a 400-dwarf tantrum spiral that left me with 30 able-bodied dwarves at the end of it. Two mayors, two sets of Dukes, two dungeon masters, and a tax collector died in the midst of it, along with my entire champion military, who racked up names for themselves from shear dwarf-slaying alone. My last guardsdwarf, who I made the Captain, was murdered in his bed by a berserker.

I'm considering dividing the fortress in two so that the spirals of both sides alternate, and one can repopulate the other should extinction occur.

On a different note, tantrum spirals are more epic when you have long corridors for dwarves to be thrown down, 20-z level tower complexes for them to jump off, and massive multi-level halls for them to paint with blood.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 3836