Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3696 3697 [3698] 3699 3700 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788290 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55455 on: September 15, 2020, 05:43:18 pm »

He seems to have had an accident while he was trapped in there though, as, his body was found lifeless in his bed when the door was finally opened... We still have no idea how he died, but, no matter, at least he won't eat anyone.
you sure he's not just playing dead? better dump the body in magma to make sure.  ;)

i have a bunch of old fortresses floating around... i've been working on Helmsdreamy, which has an impressively bloody history. There was a loyalty cascade or something that led to the fortress ultimately collapsing, (well either that or the were-tapir, it's been a while) so i reclaimed it because it was in a good location and had coal, kaolinite, iron, flux, and other mineral wealth. Currently I am attempting to construct a magma pump stack. Unfortunately there are rather a lot of z-levels between the magma and the rest of the fort so it's slow going, especially since the framerate is about 9. hopefully slaughtering and caging the stray animals will help with that, along with using autodump to get rid of junk.

i'd still like to know how a wagon broke on a cage trap it had no business being near in the first place.

i should probably also update the game..

but yeah the crypts of Helmsdreamy are in a mined out ore vein and are pretty extensive. there's also a dragon that they managed to wall in to one section.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:52:26 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55456 on: September 15, 2020, 07:27:58 pm »

Year 260 (10th year) news from Torchlaud.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When things calmed down, the death toll:
4 hammerdorfs
1 pet cat
my favorite swordsdorf
1 speardorf

At least I think it has calmed down, lol.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55457 on: September 15, 2020, 08:09:36 pm »

It was inevitable...

A couple of days later, some keas arrived and I sent 4 Marksdorfs to the tower fortification level near the keas.  After a few shots, 2 Marksdorfs fell off and down into the tower (mental note: the "partial floor" idea for the fortification level is a bad idea "as suspected" when constructed... suspicion confirmed).  As a dorfs on the floor dodged out of the way of the falling ones...

... fighting erupted because Speardorf Urist (literally), who has anger issues, went nuts and killed 3 civilians nearby. Urist then went to the tavern and socialized before reciting poetry.

(edit: Oh, meanwhile the 2nd ring of 20 coffins has been installed in the round burial chamber, while the 1st ring of 26 is nearly full.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:13:37 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55458 on: September 16, 2020, 01:59:13 am »

todays stupid dwarf trick is using statues to keep the dorfs from walling themselves in as i adjust the magma reservoir for the furnaces.

at least the pump stack is coming along nicely.
step 1: designate a bunch of pumps to be built
step 2: have fort needing little micromanaging elsewhere
step 3: carefully watch the pumps as the architects design them
step 4: suspend construction as soon as the architects are done
step 5: unsuspend the pump that connects to the rest of the stack
step 6: as soon as your mason gets to work, unsuspend the next pump
step 7: profit

aaand SIEGE!
(literally as soon as i finished the last edit here i got a siege unsure of the policy on multiposting)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:18:45 pm by nezclaw »
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55459 on: September 18, 2020, 02:11:42 am »

not pictured: the 120+ pumps to bring it from the bowels of the earth or my framerate which dropped to 1 while it filled.

now i need to dump it on some goblins.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55460 on: September 20, 2020, 02:02:32 pm »

So I suddenly get a message about a missing dwarf.  I can't figure out where he is, so I go looking if he got in any mischief in announcements that I missed among the cancellation spam and the recent discovery of the magma sea and all the sudden mineral discoveries this triggers, seemingly out of nowhere as I hadn't breached anything.

These keas are miserable creatures and have been continually stealing things.  Since I beefed up the security at what is now the only entrance it's mostly just stray bolts (that have mostly been shot at previous keas).  But surely they can't kill a dwarf, right?

Still the times are right.

The kea message.

The missing message.

So I check combat logs.

Uh-oh.  That's kind of ominous.  Where did this happen?

Double uh-oh.  Guess what's right under that open space? You've probably figured this out already.

Yeah.

Remember that magma sea discovery?  I guess we have an explanation for that too.  Semper fi, Sigun Olonlegon, bird fighter and explorer.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55461 on: September 20, 2020, 05:14:34 pm »

Holy diver, fighting keas in the magma sea...

I made a fort to test summoning demons. The demons never did get summoned, trying another tactic now. Maybe they'll use summoning interactions as greetings to friends?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55462 on: September 20, 2020, 09:54:18 pm »

Helmsdreamy is going to shit. I updated the game and everyone's stress skyrocketed, which i suspect might just possibly be related to the bug where they quickly accumulate stress when they see corpses and body parts, something which is inevitable in Zonazom. There have been several tantrums and fist fights and one fell mood. I canceled all jobs so they could get some fucking enrichment in the form of socialization and abstract thinking and worship, although i did have to restart the textiles industry to replace their clothing. I've also got a FTW system built for dumping magma on any more goblin sieges that show up. Won't help the clothes situation any, but it should keep the corpses to a minimum.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55463 on: September 21, 2020, 04:20:41 pm »

Allright that is it, the tavern is closed.

I'm running a succession fort with a dying civ. The guaranteed migrants got the population of ceilingdweller up to 12, and despite doing everything to get dwarves to breed I only had one maried couple and one baby after four years. My tavern keepster was crowned queen in the second year, and as nobles do she has been skipping most of her duties, however she is taking her job as tavern keepster a bit too seriously.  Last month her lover succumbed to alcohol poisoning after she poured him one too many, and this week the husband of our only married couple was found suffocated in his own vomit on the tavern floor. He was lying next to the queen herself, who was choking on her vomit as well, however she recovered.

I will seal the entrance of the tavern behind a brick wall, the dwarves will have to manage with an old fashioned meeting hall. (The tavern was only attracting criminal visitors and vampires anyhow)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55464 on: September 21, 2020, 04:35:05 pm »

so the fell mood failed because Urist McDumbfuck decided to claim the tanner's workshop that was at the bottom of the map in the third cavern layer, and he was the only one down there since i moved production upstairs and canceled nonessential repeating jobs, and i didn't want to send a dwarf to their death even if they are all losing their minds from stress.
incidentally, since this was a reclaim, there's a handful of random dwarves labeled "hostile" but which have so far done nothing, just standing around. However, with the update, they seem to be acquiring stress too? there's a siege engineer in the first cavern that has a brown exclamation point, and a ranger standing near my butchery threw a tantrum.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55465 on: September 21, 2020, 05:26:15 pm »

Workshocks was hit by another large siege, we were still not back to normal levels of stress after the previous one, and the resulting cleanup left about half the fortress of 200 dwarves with red arrows, and over the next 2 months tantrums were basically constant. At some point, a tavern keeper punched a legendary sword dwarf, and the squad of 10 legendary sword dwarfs, with their new *steel* armour and their mostly named *iron* and *steel short sword*s proceeded to murder about 35 civilian dwarves, in what I assume was  loyalty cascade, since none of them were tantruming at the time (none even stressed.... they've all seen some s**t and become a bit hardened.)

While they were busy doing that, a weremammoth (2nd one to come by -- might even be the bite victim I expelled  years ago) showed up, bit about 6 dwarves, including the mayor and our best armourer, before one of the non-legendary sword dwarves finally showed up and killed it without even a scratch.

All the extra death, and looming threat of weremammoths has not helped the dwarves recover from the pile of 80 goblins and trolls they were just dealing with, and the chief medical dwarf has found himself queued for a meeting with the hammerer after murdering a random peasant.

... The worst part of this, for me, is that the siege was trivial -- not a single dwarf died in the siege, despite it being open combat on flat terrain. 20 vs 80 goblins, trolls, and not counting their beakdogs Only one dwarf even got injured. Just the stress of cleaning up the bodies lead to all this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55466 on: September 21, 2020, 06:41:35 pm »

Workshocks was hit by another large siege, we were still not back to normal levels of stress after the previous one, and the resulting cleanup left about half the fortress of 200 dwarves with red arrows, and over the next 2 months tantrums were basically constant. At some point, a tavern keeper punched a legendary sword dwarf, and the squad of 10 legendary sword dwarfs, with their new *steel* armour and their mostly named *iron* and *steel short sword*s proceeded to murder about 35 civilian dwarves, in what I assume was  loyalty cascade, since none of them were tantruming at the time (none even stressed.... they've all seen some s**t and become a bit hardened.)

While they were busy doing that, a weremammoth (2nd one to come by -- might even be the bite victim I expelled  years ago) showed up, bit about 6 dwarves, including the mayor and our best armourer, before one of the non-legendary sword dwarves finally showed up and killed it without even a scratch.

All the extra death, and looming threat of weremammoths has not helped the dwarves recover from the pile of 80 goblins and trolls they were just dealing with, and the chief medical dwarf has found himself queued for a meeting with the hammerer after murdering a random peasant.

... The worst part of this, for me, is that the siege was trivial -- not a single dwarf died in the siege, despite it being open combat on flat terrain. 20 vs 80 goblins, trolls, and not counting their beakdogs Only one dwarf even got injured. Just the stress of cleaning up the bodies lead to all this.

Yeah soldiers on duty don't like it when you swing on them. They respond violently to rioting and the like, not even causing a loyalty cascade in doing so. Been like that for a while now.

If I were to hazard a guess, a fight broke out as a result of the swordsman defending himself, and a bunch of people who were friends with the tavernkeeper jumped in on his side (presumably partially motivated by unmet needs to help someone, cause trouble, fight, and so forth.) The result is a bunch of idiots try to help thier friend, only to get slaughtered when the militia responds to the angry mob accordingly.

I'm 100% certain this isn't a loyalty cascade, but rather some bug that got introduced to soldier AI that causes them to attack anyone attacking a friendly unprovoked, and interestingly seems to indicate there's a "self-defense in the third person" clause in dwarven justice, cause I've had soldiers kill people beating on someone else and never get reported to the authorities. Doesn't matter if it's a gang of children beating a craftsman or an angry cook swinging on them in a tantrum, they respond the same way if on duty and more often than not kill the attacker in one or two swings.

off-duty is a different story, with them preferring to just dodge the attacks.

Goalrun, the Long Night mod fort is going alright. Had its first run in with a megabeast, an "Autonomous Dragon Gunship" which got swamped under a little over half a dozen men in space knight armor.

The town is largely complete, being fortified, templed, guilded, and well supplied with food, and kept watered by a number of wells that cater to the bar and both residential areas. No invaders otherwise even after kicking them back on, leading me to assume one of two things: Either most of the bad people are too far away or dead, or this mod needs more bad people.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55467 on: September 21, 2020, 07:23:41 pm »

Yeah soldiers on duty don't like it when you swing on them. They respond violently to rioting and the like, not even causing a loyalty cascade in doing so. Been like that for a while now.

If I were to hazard a guess, a fight broke out as a result of the swordsman defending himself, and a bunch of people who were friends with the tavernkeeper jumped in on his side (presumably partially motivated by unmet needs to help someone, cause trouble, fight, and so forth.) The result is a bunch of idiots try to help thier friend, only to get slaughtered when the militia responds to the angry mob accordingly.

I'm 100% certain this isn't a loyalty cascade, but rather some bug that got introduced to soldier AI that causes them to attack anyone attacking a friendly unprovoked, and interestingly seems to indicate there's a "self-defense in the third person" clause in dwarven justice, cause I've had soldiers kill people beating on someone else and never get reported to the authorities. Doesn't matter if it's a gang of children beating a craftsman or an angry cook swinging on them in a tantrum, they respond the same way if on duty and more often than not kill the attacker in one or two swings.

off-duty is a different story, with them preferring to just dodge the attacks.

Yeah, the tavern keeper was harassing a nearby engraver when I re-enabled my military -- I had the whole fort burrowed for a month in a burrow that had temples, dining halls, libraries, etc, but little to no actual work, so they'd socialize, think, pray, and generally just get some happy thoughts -- and almost as soon as I did he punched the sword dwarf, to no effect (fist vs *steel gauntlets*), and it set off a chain of violence. The engraver, amusingly, spent the whole time the sword dwarves were slaughtering people dodging the tavern keeper's dog.

Anyway, after stabilizing a bit from that mess, I decided to retire Workshocks. Ever since completing the magma piston, I've been a bit directionless here, but I don't want to 'Dig too deep' right now, I'm working on setting up some stuff for the world/civ before I do now that workshocks is the capital and we have our queen, so, it seems like a good enough time to leave it be. They'll be fine, they have 10 legendary sword masters keeping an eye on them, not to mention a team of macemasters (none legendary, but, close) and about 30 other competent professional soldiers -- including out skilled hammer dwarf queen - with good quality iron and/or steel equipment all around, and more gold, and silver than I could figure out what to do with. Seriously, the last dwarven caravan left with like 8 bins worth of (often gem-encrusted) gold trinkets and silver toys, just to get it off the map.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55468 on: September 26, 2020, 12:50:17 am »

I can confirm my clean-self/friend summoning interactions work properly.

In other news, twelve dwarves are dead as a result of a demon outbreak. Totally unrelated. Yup.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55469 on: September 27, 2020, 06:40:57 am »

We embarked to Vesselrays about 6 years ago, and we finally have a reliable source of clean water near the fort proper. The murky pools on the surface were enough to survive this far, but it's nice to have clean water again. Just needed to pump it 110 floors up from the 2nd cavern layer, since we got a muddy first cavern with no water to be found. I hear those are rare, but this is my 3rd one in about 12 forts, across 6 different worlds.

This fort hit the mineral jackpot. Iron, Silver, Lignite and Coal visible from the surface, before we even started digging. Once we got a few levels down, we found more gold than we could figure out what to do with, Sphalerite, Tetrahedrite, and a little bit of platinum. Not to mention the Marble Layer. We set up a metal industry before the first caravan even arrived, and by year 2 we were trading gem-encrusted electrum and gold baubles for anything useful a given caravan had on it, while we started to kit out the military in full suits of steel.

All that was secondary to the main conceit of this fortress though -- The dwarves of Vesselrays, settles in the wooden swamp to establish the first vegan mountainhome to be seen in The Continents of Fortune!
Dumping the migrants non-vegan clothes has been rather obnoxious, but I have to say the challenge has been quite a bit easier than I was thinking it would be*. We've lost 6 dwarves to failed strange moods, Thek knew what they were signing up for when they came here, they can't expect us to butcher some poor animal just because they got inspired and want their pyrite hatch cover or whatever to menace with spikes of bone.
About a year into the pump stack project, A performer in our tavern, through conversations with some rivals, was made queen! I'm not sure who her opposition was, but, thankfully we had enough electrum, gold, brass, and platinum furniture to set her up with royal rooms without much issue... She keeps asking for satues and figures, which, is fine by us -- the smiths and metalcrafters would be making those anyway.

About a year after she was made queen, we were promoted to a barony. This was around the same time as the pump stack being finished, and us finally having clean water that isn't half a day's travel into the depths.

Other things of note: We got attacked by a giant who was carrying TWO artifact battle axes. Luckily, it couldn't make good use of them and died to 6 axedwarves surrounding him, tearing fat and chopping bits off until almost everyone involved was passed out exhausted, at which point someone finally landed a lethal wound and the giant bled out.
We got one goblin "siege" so far... if you could even call it that. it was one group of about 10 goblins. We closed the drawbridge and made sure the military was assembled and had their newly-finished steel armour on for it jsut in case, but, the goblins only managed to wound some poor wild alligator. Not a single injury among the dwarves. That poor alligator didn't make it, but neither did the goblins.
In the first cavern layer -- the layer of mud and rock, that we sealed off because there was nothing of value to make it worth the potential dangers of keeping it open -- a gigantic 3-eyed fire-breathing chicken with a square shell and green feathers has been roaming around, immolating anything that crosses it's path[[Including my framerate, so much fire]]. We could probably kill it, but, it hardly seems worth the danger of opening the cavern, and exposing ourselves to not only this chicken best but the giant cave spiders and the like lurking in the dark corners... or at least, there WERE giant cave spiders, they may just be half-melted pools of chitin and silk by now. Poor things.

* I've done vegan and vegetarian forts before, I remember it being more difficult, but, the only things I haven't been able to make really have been backpacks and quivers. Backpacks are mildly annoying to do without, but brass flasks keep the soldiers hydrated at least, so military still don't break station all that often honestly. And who needs quivers and crossbows when you have 30 well-trained dwarves in full suits of *steel* armour, shields, and weapons, and a roof over your head to keep flying beasties in axe range?
Pages: 1 ... 3696 3697 [3698] 3699 3700 ... 3835