Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3697 3698 [3699] 3700 3701 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787523 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55470 on: September 27, 2020, 07:27:42 am »

Dumping the migrants non-vegan clothes has been rather obnoxious, but I have to say the challenge has been quite a bit easier than I was thinking it would be*. We've lost 6 dwarves to failed strange moods, Thek knew what they were signing up for when they came here, they can't expect us to butcher some poor animal just because they got inspired and want their pyrite hatch cover or whatever to menace with spikes of bone.

Would you be opposed to butchering an animal corpse that has died by its own means?  I've recently butchered a very old dog skeleton into a skull and a stack of bones. 

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55471 on: September 27, 2020, 07:43:42 am »

Would you be opposed to butchering an animal corpse that has died by its own means?  I've recently butchered a very old dog skeleton into a skull and a stack of bones.

I've been atom-smasing any corpse, body, or bit that can't be buried in a proper coffin for the critters that manage to die all on their own or due to invaders/wildlife. I haven't even built a butcher's workshop on this map, and the labour is disabled on all dwarves. This fort is completely avoiding making *anything* out of animal parts. I won't even import seeds stored in yarn or silk bags, which made getting rock nuts for soap a bit of an ordeal...

((Edit: Typos))
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:45:24 am by PetGreySquirrel »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55472 on: September 27, 2020, 08:01:56 am »

Sounds like a fun challenge. 

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55473 on: September 27, 2020, 08:27:03 am »

Sounds like a fun challenge.

It's honestly not too challenging, but from an aesthetic/roleplay perspective I really like it (maybe just because I'm vegetarian, your millage may vary.)
The main sticking points are: no backpacks for long patrols, no quivers for bolts (so no marksdwarves, unless you want to make cotton candy quivers, get plant cloth ones by chance from a visitor or migrant, or manage to get a strange mood to turn into one) and no armour until you get a smelter and a forge running or import some metal armour.
The biggest problem really is strange moods and mandates.. Bone and leather are common mood demands, so moods go from being generally easy to handle in normal play to being one of the main ways your important dwarves end up dead. Mandates for backpacks, quivers, etc are... Also a concern, because if not dealt woth some other way you'll end up with a lot of prisoners or tantrum-throwing nobles screaming in the tavern. I honestly got super lucky that our surprise queen is has only been mandating figures, statues, and anvils.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55474 on: September 27, 2020, 08:36:11 am »

I'm veg as well, and tend to go hard the other way in my games. I event went so far as to not grow any edible plants (sweet pod wine only) and survive entirely off meat/eggs. This was a pretty irksome challenge as miasma was a constant annoyance and micromanaging pigs and chickens became the primary gameplay. I really would like to try a vegan fortress though... Might post here about it some day.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55475 on: September 27, 2020, 08:57:26 am »

I've done 'no growers/planters' forts, which is way more annoying as far as challenges go than vegan forts In my experience. At least vegan fort has plenty of booze (with a wide variety) and you don't need a team of dedicated refuse haulers to keep the butcher shop from being in a constant miasma cloud.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55476 on: September 27, 2020, 08:58:55 am »

Along those same lines, I've had it on my mind to make an above ground fishing village fort, either on the coast, or adjacent a large river.  Imposing restrictions like that sometimes gets me to focus more on other aspects of the game and pushes me out of my comfort zone. 

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55477 on: September 27, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »

I'm veg as well, and tend to go hard the other way in my games. I event went so far as to not grow any edible plants (sweet pod wine only) and survive entirely off meat/eggs. This was a pretty irksome challenge as miasma was a constant annoyance and micromanaging pigs and chickens became the primary gameplay. I really would like to try a vegan fortress though... Might post here about it some day.

Cave wheat/sweet pods/plump helmets give you the main three kinds of booze.  If you gather and plant the available outdoor seeds you also have sufficient variety for dwarves to deal with it (I usually dig out an "above ground" farm and then put a roof over it).  Where it gets really ugly is in glacier biomes though.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55478 on: September 28, 2020, 03:38:22 am »

Well... The queen of Vesselrays got into a fey mood. Seeing how the fortress is vegan, her damands for bones and leather will.... not be getting filled. I wonder who's next in line for her Electrum Throne? Hopefully she doesn't go berserk, she's a bit rusty since becomig queen, but she was an accomplished wrestler and had a with a mean throwing arm.
Meanwhile, the shelled fire chicken in the caverns' impact on my FPS has become too much of a hindrance to leave it be, so, I unsealed that layer so send in the Champion and his squad of steel-clad axelords to put an end to the endless fires. between those and the water from the stack pump my FPS has been hitting single digits every time the chicken enters a patch of cavern that can still catch. The fight was pretty underwhelming, 2 axedwarves hacked buts of it off while dodging every attack it made, then the 2nd in command walked over and rather casually chopped it's head off with one swing of his superior steel battle axe. It got one chance to breathe fire, but everyone dodged and the battlefield was chosen because it had already been burned down recently, so we didn't need to worry about the floors.

Edit: Quick update; without the fire chicken FPS is back up to 35-45 range.
The dwarf caravan came by, and we decided we really needed to unload some of these misc. crafts and baubles, so they're leaving with a profic of over 400,000* and a further offering of about 600,000* (which included 2 artifact battle axes a cyclops wielded against us.)
As soon as we were done loading up the caravan, though... Another cyclops decided to try her luck. I wonder if she's related to the last one at all? Either way, I don't think this was a good idea for her... She was dead before she was even in view of the trade depot. We didn't even set a civilian alert, just had the axe and swordswarf squads run to intercept her. This one didn't bring any artifacts, and didn't manage to lang a single attack.

The queen went mad. Meloncholic, because we wuoldn't butcher an animal for her to make her artifact. her and the hammerer's son, a performer in one of the temples, has inherited the title, and her rooms.

Edit2: Vesselrays has become the mountainhome! We've been the home of the queen, and her son and successor for a couple years, but apparently we needed to be made a county before we can become the mountainhome officially. I keep generating so much wealth and shoving it onto the caravan that I skip completely over having a duke or duchess and go straight from county to mountainhome. It feels like the requirements are a bit too lax, honestly.

Anyway, we've acheived our 2 main goals: Become a vegan mountainhome, and make a bunch of legendary axedwarfs and pile of masterwork steel equipment I can use to make an exceissively well-trained adventurer.

This was the last dwarven civ on this world that didn't have a mountainhome I built, so, now on to phase 2 of this world's fate, prep an absurd adventurer and then crack open the HFS in all the forts except vesselrays. Not that the site government Soshsolon ('The Sandaled Flag') or their civilization Vucar Idash 'The Urn of Moistening" are above greed, they simply have so much wealth near the surface that it will likely take them a while to get that far. ((I want to see what kind of chaos exists in the world aftae all but one of the other mountainhomes falls to HFS)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:07:37 am by PetGreySquirrel »

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55479 on: September 29, 2020, 02:47:12 pm »

So my fort's become boring. Other than the obvious way of digging too deep. How else can I kill everyone in my fort in a dramatic and hillarious fashion? I have DFhack so I can spawn something in.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55480 on: September 29, 2020, 02:53:08 pm »

Nvm, figured it out. I'm gonna dfhack one of my miners and make them really angry, drive them insane and then release them where all my kids live. I need to see if 15 toddlers can beat a Proficient Miner in melee combat
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55481 on: September 29, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »

Nvm, figured it out. I'm gonna dfhack one of my miners and make them really angry, drive them insane and then release them where all my kids live. I need to see if 15 toddlers can beat a Proficient Miner in melee combat
If they can make him sick or land a n early lucky hit, yes.  Hes going to tire quickly too, if he doesnt start killing them quickly.  Dodging every move will tire him.  Money is on him though, unless they can make him drop the pick.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55482 on: September 29, 2020, 07:44:12 pm »

None of the kids died amazingly, the miner got distracted by a bunch of cats and the cats killed the miner. Was a shame. So I went for plan B. I put the kids in a room, and I DFhacked a bunch of magma into it. Whoever survives gets to leave this cursed death trap. Surprisingly 4 of them did amazingly. Including one baby. Don’t know what to do with all these obnoxiously happy adults though.

Obsidian 1053

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55483 on: September 30, 2020, 02:57:59 am »

You could make a bunch of 1 dwarf squads and send everybody out on missions to rile up some hostile neighbors, then sit back and let the sieges roll in. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55484 on: September 30, 2020, 02:37:05 pm »

You could make a bunch of 1 dwarf squads and send everybody out on missions to rile up some hostile neighbors, then sit back and let the sieges roll in.
Dwarven diplomats are renown for their astute wit and laconic charm
Pages: 1 ... 3697 3698 [3699] 3700 3701 ... 3835