Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789590 times)

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 05:08:01 am »

Bad news: After fending off a small goblin ambush, I found one of my Butchers has had his eyes gouged out.

Good news: After finally obtaining some Electrum, my Dungeon Master can finally get the Electrum armour stand in his tomb that he's been demanding for ages. But he went to the lengths of forging it himself, resulting in a finely crafted armour stand adorned with rings of hanging silver. :) Dungeon Masters rock.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 11:36:02 am »

My current fort:

Embarked upon a very scary location. It's filled with the undead, priorities have been to depopulate an underground pool and I am currently building my fortress around it. Ideas are to make a vast dungeon that is a combination of water and drainage systems, undead horrors, prison cells and goblin execution chambers.

In my ambitions I have neglected things such as food .. I was on the verge of a famine but an elven caravan showed up and was promptly torn to threads by the walking dead. A small war was fought over the control of the corpses and I emerged victorious, without a single injury! quite lucky considering I fought a zombie troll, a skeletal giant rat AND a zombie giant eagle... as well as ratmen and swallowmen.

The elves had alcohol so my dwarves are currently enjoying strawberry wine and gathering what spoils there are to be gathered. Though they are increasingly nervous because of the undead horrors that peer at them from the chasm... guards are on place to take care of any undead cave swallowmen that might fly out of the chasm and attack, but they are undermanned for the job and all hospital beds are full.

Armok will see me through.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 06:51:43 pm »

I just embarked on a beautiful location, wonderfully defensible and the amount of lumber makes up for the lack of liquid-hot magma, both in the forests and in the nearby elven village. I'd planned out a dining hall with a well in the center, fed by streams coming down from the mayor's dining place/office, feeding a well in the middle, and dropping down to a lower z-level, possibly to feed watermills. All that was in the far future, though; first I had to get everyone settled and happy. I had started digging out my settlers' rooms and furnishing them with wooden goods from the elven village.

And then my miner jumped in the river, presumably to confront his fear of carp head-on.

He managed to kill one with his pick before dying of water inhalation. Then my fish cleaner/cook/brewer, who had of late been doing exactly none of those things, went up for a drink and died the same way. The bastard got what he deserved, but now the fortress has come to a screeching halt until the new workshops can be completed in order to cast a new pick.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 10:47:07 pm »

One of my dwarf children finally met her family for the first time. She's the daughter of one of my champions. In one of the early sieges, back when her mother was just a professional hammerdwarf and she was a baby, she was used as a shield and hit by an orc pikemaster which mangled her leg. She's now four or five years old, and her leg has finally healed.

Ironically, when she was visiting her mother and father (her father was in a different squad that was later merged with his wife's) they were on duty searching for a goblin ambush. She and her brother have gone back inside now. Man, my champions pop out more kids than my countess.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 11:00:58 pm »

I just finished beating the crap out of some Hidden Flaming Stuff with a combination of melee fighters that I ensured wore no flammable clothing, and Bears. Because everything's better with Bears. And Artifact Uranium War Hammer. But mostly Bears.

Now I'm working on several things simultaneously:

1) Digging a vast, labrynthine network of Dungeons for my Dungeon Master. Because every Dungeon Master deserves a goot set of Dungeons.

2) Building a place to put my jailed dwarves. The prison is one of the two artifices I haven't moved from my old fort in the Western Mountain to my new fort in the Unnecessarily High Tower and Giant-Ass Mountain; the other one, the Kennel, is likely going in the aforementioned Dungeons. I'm not putting the prison in the Dungeon because instead of hanging around in a nice, warm cave, I'd rather my miscreants hang from a structure miles above the ground.

3) I have a lot of crap on the north side of the Giant-Ass Mountain just jutting out from the side. I'm building support structures for them so they look better in 3Dwarf, or Visual Fortress if I can get it to work.

Finished Projects:

-32x36x1 Dwarf Icon Sculpture in Orthoclase (a.k.a. Moldath the Monolith)
-Marksdwarf-Guarded Entrance on a Hill
-Rainwater Collecting Apparatus
-Plaza with Fountain (Regrettably Manually Refilled)
-Unnecessarily High Tower
-Total Goblin Genocide
-Royal Castle & Environs
-Undersized Temple of Armok
-94-Level Creature Dump
-Obligatory Hollowed-Out Mountain with Dragon-Head-Shaped Entrance to Hidden Fun Stuff Within
-Bear Trap the Great and Terrible
-68 Artifacts and a Dragon Skull in a Pear Tree

After I finish the three things I mentioned earlier, I will only have three additional projects left to do.

1) Determine whether there is anything else I want to do in this fort.

2) Perform the as-of-yet unrevealed action that will likely end the glorious city of Tunnelwound in firey death without using any Magma whatsoever as I do not have this Magma you speak of.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:06:38 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:17 pm »

I'm thinking of making an iron statue of a humie hero out of iron statues of a humie hero because i'm overloaded with iron from the g mishaps.
Anyway, the sheriff made this...

This is made in paint sense I don't have a camera to upload the cooler version I drew.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:08:13 pm by Chapin the Dwarf »

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 11:33:22 pm »

A giant cave swallow ripped the throat of a hunter out, and he fell unconscious, bleeding all over the place but taking forever to die. It bogged down my FPS because the "Cancels rest, interrupted by Giant Cave Swallow" messages where coming in over twenty a second. I made another hunter a recruit and sent him over, but he didn't attack the dang bird. So I turned him back into a hunter and he started to hunt. So he started wrestling the giant cave swallow next to the dwarf bleeding all over the place, and they're wrestling on top of the chunk of his throat that got torn out. FPS is still low as hell and the dwarf takes forever to break the bird with his bare hands.

He killed it.

Then the bleeding dwarf immediately died afterwards.

And a guard was struck with melancholy because he was so unhappy with laying in bed with his lower body seriously wounded. So he dragged himself out and started walking/crawling all over the fort 'til he died of thirst (wish he jumped in the well instead just to speed it up).

And I'm currently filliing a room below my dining hall with magma in case I decide to drop all the dwarves into it. The digging killed a legendary miner.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 11:34:39 pm »

I'm still looking for an embark location. as of yet none have suited my fancy...
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 01:41:11 am »

Maybe I'm just really lucky and embarked in an area that's brimming with shrubs that grant both Golden Salve and Gnomeblight, because for me both are really common.  It inflates my economy even better than goblin GCS.

I'm building a Keep, but not just any Keep.  I don't really want to give it away yet, but then again it might be a while before I get around to finishing it since I've started a new fortress for a challenge.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 07:24:23 am »

This just in! A humie just made a silver gauntlet out of the material I was going to use for something awesome. When i looked at how awesome it was I decided to spare him.

Bands of copper. base of silver. rings of fortifacation agate. a picture of a saguaro out of char bone.. I want it...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:00 am »

A legendary engraver of mine just died. Back in his young days of bieng a dabbling bonecarver he singlehandedly wrestled a dragon to death, who had snuck in my back door straight to the living quarters.

For some reason he felt the need to engrave something outside during an orc siege.

I have just completed his tomb. Artifact orc bone coffin on the second level of an obsidian/iron/platinum(x2) pyramid in the main courtyard. On the ground floor of which is the masterful clear glass coffin of the thrice named elite marksdwarf who died in the same siege, at the same time. I don't know what he was doing outside either.

Its funny, a forty dwarf military, and the only one who makes it to the battlefield disregards orders, goes outside and dies.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »

There is magma pipe in the lower left corner of a 6x6 map. There is an underground river (and the only river in existence) at almost the upper right corner of the map, about -10zts (negative ten zee levels to surface). Going to breach the river so I can get started on my various projects. 'Machine', the head dwarf and a pretty damn good miner, goes half-way across the map to take care of this (I had dug a vertical shaft near the river for this purpose, with no connection but overland to the fortress proper). I was breaching at the wrong Z level. Against all odds, due to the slightly bizarre construction of the shaft (the horizontal section was on two z levels and zigzagged between them), he managed to haul himself up the stairs when the water rushed in and escape his gruesome death. It all happened so fast I completely lost track of him. Fortunately, I built a wall where some of the river creatures might gain access, and am now working on completing the irrigation system, which will require me to risk another dwarven life, as they need to carve a fortification into the only thing between them and a wall of water. I can only hope he makes the same daring escape.

Also, the place is being ravaged by a neverending (hyperbolically speaking) stream of skeletal caveswallowmen. My 4-dwarf military is composed entirely of wrestlers. So far the mortality rate is 20%. That is, one in five civilians who gets task interrupted by cave swallowman dies. In a stroke of genius greed and stupidity, I am setting up traps at random locations throughout the main beast pathways. This won't stop the cave swallowmen but it will keep the elephants out of my beard. Incidentally, the merchant and immigrant slaughter is quite lucrative.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 03:01:02 pm »

alright. I found a suitable location for my new fortress. I've started mining out the area, and of course my dwarves are stuck sleeping out on the ground for the first season or two (I got a bit overzealous with the mining designation). also, thanks to the placement of farmable soil in the area, I'm down to 7 plants and no drinks... but... I have a large farm up, and I have a still standing by for booze production, so all problems will be solved eventually.

Oh yeah, the caravan is using the nearby brook as a highway to my fortress, cool stuff.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20:41 pm »

In Rockhome the Great Fortress of Blood, the big drop has been completed, placing a ring of dirt from the surface down around the pond I've made at the z-2 level.
The cistern is ready to be filled, but I've yet to dig the sewers.

Up next: determining how best to arrange workshops and living quarters, creating the permanent magma foundries, debating the overall aesthetic design, as incorporating the magma pipe will necessarily mean asymmetry, unless ....

Hmm... an artificial magma pipe on the opposite side.

After all, it's only the bottom and top that matter, right?

You could carefully mine out a pipe, building a cylinder to contain the magma, starting from the bottom and going up... Especially if it was mirrored on the other side to provide a drainage channel... and the transverse channels would be perfect for creating a magma curtain defense! 

Hm. Research is in order!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 05:11:18 pm »

I'm waiting for the dwarf caravan to leave, while the nobility crams all the wardogs back into cages after I pulled the 'release the hounds' lever.
And hauling goblin crap into the magma pipe.

I'm also winding down the sky-paving project, since it's covered what I wanted covered.

The magma moat is finished, and just topping off.

The next project is being debated. Do I dam the brook? Do I just cut off the water's exit? Should I leave it where it is, or reclaim it's space for my fort?
And how the hell should I keep the water going through but have access as well?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 3835