Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3702 3703 [3704] 3705 3706 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788998 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55545 on: October 16, 2020, 07:47:06 pm »

I think our next major project will be to try to do some exploratory mining in the layers of aquifer-stone, we've seen some platinum in the sandstone walls, where the aquifer overlaps with the caverns, and I think that alone is enough to motivate the miners to agree too getting a little wet. If we establish proper drainage, it shouldn't be too difficult, it is only a light aquifer afterall. Maybe we'll get lucky and find some iron ore as well, which would certainly help our military out quite a bit, The presence of platinum has me hopeful that we may have some magnetite hidden above our heads...

If your problem is elves the solution is simple.  Just kill them!  Their weapons are always garbage, they are pathetic in general.  Can you even make metal weapons and armor at all?  Even copper and silver can do away with elves.  But seriously, find some cassiterite and malachite (or any copper ore at all) and you can make bronze, that will do away with anything elves can bring.  Destroy elves any time you can!

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55546 on: October 16, 2020, 08:33:05 pm »

If your problem is elves the solution is simple.  Just kill them!  Their weapons are always garbage, they are pathetic in general.  Can you even make metal weapons and armor at all?  Even copper and silver can do away with elves.  But seriously, find some cassiterite and malachite (or any copper ore at all) and you can make bronze, that will do away with anything elves can bring.  Destroy elves any time you can!

Nah, elves were the main antagonist of an earlier fort in the same civ, and were honestly not at all a threat since all their weapons were wooden. This fortress is nearby to a goblin civ, and they have iron and bronze fairly often, so, the copper armour isn't quite enough. Though, at least after each siege I can melt down their gear to turn into armour for my own dwarves. So far I've managed to get one full suit each of steel, Iron, bronxe, bismuth bronze, just from melting down goblin scraps and what I managed to get off the caravans. Unfortunately, an autumn siege means I likely missed the caravan this year, and will have to delay another to buy more metals.

The copper bolts and elite marksdwarves in a nest above the drawbridge managed to deter this last siege without a single soldier entering melee range! So all that metal fron the dead was fairly low-cost at least.

Well, the aquifer doesn't appear to have anything but platinum, and a miner (and my framerate) died in the exploratory mining attempt. If I can work out a more fps-friendly drainage solution I might dig out more of the platinum, but for the time being it's not looking to be particularly worthwhile.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 12:25:55 am by PetGreySquirrel »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55547 on: October 17, 2020, 07:54:23 am »

Bumblebee saga continues. This time a donkey was the victim.

The last strange mood produced a silver shortsword, so that's cool, also an animalmancer slab appeared in the fortress. Now we're building a golden library for it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55548 on: October 17, 2020, 08:43:04 am »

Bumblebee saga continues. This time a donkey was the victim.

The last strange mood produced a silver shortsword, so that's cool, also an animalmancer slab appeared in the fortress. Now we're building a golden library for it.
Sounds like that library should be bee shaped.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55549 on: October 17, 2020, 09:07:43 am »

Possibly with an integral mead stockpile too so the scholars can spend more time on their work.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55550 on: October 17, 2020, 09:09:03 am »

The bear shipment finally arrived.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The grizzly ones could be elite guard of the Sanctuary of Chocolate...

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55551 on: October 17, 2020, 12:33:55 pm »

I have a "putrid one" visting my fort, from my own civ.  This is actually the third, but the first from my own. 

This thing is peaceful and not doing anything other than just walking into a temple dedicated to the vile god that these undead seem to have, that is somehow becoming the majority religion in this world.  It is also a creation of the necromancer who has taken over the competing fort of mine and has the express goal of taking over the world.

Do I destroy this undead abomination?  Do I declare war on my own civilization?  Do I send out a guy in adventurer mode just to steal the slab and dissolve it in magma?  What do I do?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55552 on: October 17, 2020, 03:36:38 pm »

maybe not remarkable but the mountainhome wanted me to become a barony on my first year and i refused

totally not ready to deal with a baron right now
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55553 on: October 17, 2020, 03:56:33 pm »

No goblins this Autumn, so the caravan made it to the depot... missing it last year means we have a massive pile of things to sell, and everyone is currently hauling bins of crafts, toys, mugs, armour, weapons, and clothes to the depot. Even the military was given some time away from their duties to help haul it all. I imagine most of it will end up being offered, rather than traded, since there weren't that many wagons this time, but, we'll see what they have for us... I think any iron, bronze, or steel they brought -- either as bars, or finished items -- we'll buy to melt and reuse for the military. We desperately need armour that can hold up to the goblin's weapons. The last siege broke easily, but, it was fairly small. a big offensive would still be a major concern right now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55554 on: October 17, 2020, 04:16:48 pm »

I've upgraded the Golddaggers depot with a wider entrance so two wagons can pass simultaneously if need be. With cage traps outside to help catch any undead that try to sneak in. I should really make a zigzag pattern track for the wagons with traps between the wagon roads to make it even more secure. There's traps between the depot and the gate into the fort anyway.

Nobody died in the season I played last night. Glass production is up, iron production is up, steel production will begin shortly as I found the flux layer, luckily above the second caverns. Not ready to pop open any more cavern layers just yet. Making some iron mail for the militia to go with their helmets and shields. Should reduce their fragileness. They've been good practice for the doctors at least.

I'm thinking of making the route into the second and third caverns, if I even choose to make one, go through the first, which is walled off right now. That way any beast hunters wandering in the first cavern and the existing trap lines will be between us and whatever comes out of there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:19:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55555 on: October 17, 2020, 08:40:28 pm »

Trading went well. We bought ever scrap of armour-quality metal they had (even down to puzzleboxes and flasks) and marked it to be melted, which is currently underway. We also got all the leather and cloth, and traded away nearly every excess item we had stuffed into bins, and all the worn-down clothes. About 90,000 dwarfbucks was gifted as an offering just to get rid of it and clear up space.. There wasnt as much metal as I would have liked, but, we'll take what we can get, and requested more for next year. We also got every gem they had to help keep the jewelera busy. They brought the coke and coal I asked for, but, we don't have any flux so we requested some for next year too so we can make more steel. In the meantime one of the smelters bas been set to full-time melting only (to help keep track of tenths of a bar I keep it to a single smelter -- it's slower but we need every bit we can salvage right now.)
Hopefully we'll be able to kit out at least one or two squads in decent armour by the time it's all processed. The copper armour has been great practice for our armourers, so, they can consistently produce top quality items with whatever metals we can get for them to work with. The traders seemed more than happy to buy bins full of the copper armour our smiths were practicing making, though we might start melting any non-masterworks as we're running low on tetrahedrite veins it seems. (3x3 embark on a one cavern world, so a small map with only about 40 z levels, many of which don't have any copper ore at all in them.)

Update: Our queen has arrived, with her full entourage! This is surprising, because we weren't even a barony! We're skipping from just having a mayor straight to being the mountainhome, apparently!
Hopefully, this is a sign of progress towards bringing our civ back from the brink of extinction... but we weren't exactly prepared for her arrival, the smiths will have to make her furniture in a hurry.

Update2: Luckily, we had about 60 bars of platinum still laying around, so, we managed to get the queen and outpost liaison's rooms set up to sufficient quality fairly quickly... We din't even need to engrave any of the queen's rooms to get her to stop complaining. it's a wonder how far 8 masterwork platinum chests go towards shutting the noblility up...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:37:37 am by PetGreySquirrel »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55556 on: October 19, 2020, 02:33:33 pm »

The guardian bears had lots of cubs. Was under goblin siege, except there weren't any goblins, just an experiment, hamster man, and few grashopper and mantis men. Were easily repelled.

Our fortress has history of dealing with cyclops, ettins, forest titans, wereelephants, but the worst challenge has come today. A jabberer was massacring our miners in the second layer, we sent our elite militia team to take care of it. Then werechameleon appeared on the surface. He killed a stonecrafter, and infected three citizens, one of them our best swordsman.

As of now, we are secure, I hope, but the jabberer is still on the loose. Hope no mushroom picker bumps into it...

darknation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55557 on: October 19, 2020, 05:13:12 pm »

The embark screen delivers disastrous results.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:14:58 pm by darknation »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55558 on: October 20, 2020, 05:46:41 am »

The embark screen delivers disastrous results.

I always buy any meat with a name.  Sure, it's not more valuable than anything, and nobody will have any preference for it, but when will you get to eat it again?

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55559 on: October 20, 2020, 09:32:13 am »

It's always a fun way to learn about the various generated nasties in your world! :D
Pages: 1 ... 3702 3703 [3704] 3705 3706 ... 3835