Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3703 3704 [3705] 3706 3707 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786988 times)

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55560 on: October 20, 2020, 04:50:30 pm »

Our military wasn't quite as kitted out as I'd have liked, but, the 100-goblin siege that came after a full year without a goblin sighting didn't manage to kill anyone... which is surprising, as they arrived on the opposite side of the map from their normal direction of attack, so they were on the less well defended side of the river. We raised the drawbridges to block the gates, and managed to keep the trolls from the doors of our back entrance, thanks largely to a couple weapon traps keeping them stalled until someone finally got around to pulling the lever. Unfortunately. a couple trees had grown near the walls, and the siege came in the time between them being designated to be cut down, and the woodcutters actually getting around to it, so the goblins still had a climbing path into the fort. It was only able to fit one goblin through at a time, though, so what it turned into was more like a meatgrinder, with the melee dwarves stationed to hit them as son as they got in range, and the marksdwarves harassing them and their allies who got close to the trees with bolts. 7 fortifications needed to be torn down and rebuilt, to remove the bits of goblin stuck inside them. One soldier got wounded, and two seem to be traumatized from all the corpses piled up, but, oh well, I was planning to retire the fort at the end of the season anyway. We managed to clean up, and remove the bodies (permanently, by way of an atom smasher) and I left them to take care of themselves once cleanup was done and we finished dealing with the merchants.

The new embark, Zoluthsazir "Combatbridge" looks promising. I'm sticking with the same civillization still, this map is on the far side of the world, nowhere near any of our other forts, in the borderlands of a scorching white sand desert and equally hot savanna. The map is split in half by an east-west running stream. We have some trees, but not a lot of them. More importantly, though, we have cassrite, and tetrahedrite.... so we can make bronze! this is a very welcome change of pace, after being stuck with copper and imports in the last fort.
Our neighbors include goblins, and a tower with as of yet unknown inhabitants (but the embark screen had the red line next to it that seems to indicate hostility.) We also have humans nearby, and we're not at war with them (now, anyway) so maybe I'll finally have a fort on this world who can trade with another civilization.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55561 on: October 20, 2020, 05:40:30 pm »

I always lay down 3z of floors around my walls to keep enemies from climbing over. Most tree branches only spread out so much. Learned that after losing a fort.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55562 on: October 21, 2020, 06:02:00 am »

One of my migrants is a necromancer. That's a first, at least for me. I thought these guys always went off to build a tower during worldgen, but this one stayed with his civ and eventually went to my fort.

Incidentally, I embarked near a tower, but I have yet to receive an undead siege. I wonder what the neighboring necromancer and this guy have to do with each other, if anything.

The migrant necromancer had a bunch of scientific skills so I assigned him to the library. Maybe he'll write a book about the secrets of life and death, and then we'll have a fortress full of necromancers. I wonder how that's going to affect future necromancer sieges.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55563 on: October 22, 2020, 12:57:56 pm »

Approximate sequence of events:

- Kid creates artifact and offers it to my site government. There is no question that it belongs to me.
- Artifact is placed in museum, which is guarded.
- Some months pass.
- Someone comes visiting my tavern, looking for the location of the artifact. My manager of all people tells him that it's here.
- He spends some more time in my tavern before leaving.
- He immediately comes back, as expected, but he doesn't go for a meeting with the mayor, but again has someone reveal the location of the artifact. Of note is that the mayor is in the military and training, but that didn't stop him from meeting with a monster slayer. I don't know why he didn't meet with the mayor to discuss the surrender of the artifact, which is what happened the last time someone came looking for one of my artifacts.
- He spends a bit more time, though considerably less than the first time, in the tavern before leaving again.
- He does not come back immediately after leaving. This indicates he is now sneaking on the map.
- Shortly after he is spotted near the gate, "You will not stand between me and The Beginning of Knots!"
- Being hostile, he runs into the gate, and is immediately torn down by the militia who is training outside the fortress entrance.
- When he gets attacked, a brawl starts in the tavern, in which a bunch of people and a dog attacked an elf and a visiting hammerdwarf, who were looking for the same artifact, but did not arrive at the same time as the other guy did, and were not marked as hostile. (But they're all dead now.)
- Minutes after all that's over, I get this group of adventurers.

Somebody REALLY wants this artifact, but god damn they can pry it from my cold dead hands.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55564 on: October 22, 2020, 01:15:45 pm »

Somebody REALLY wants this artifact, but god damn they can pry it from my cold dead hands.

... Fox Bowfox lol

Well, this is war as it seems! What kind of artifact is it? It's a leather mini-forge, isn't it?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55565 on: October 22, 2020, 01:31:52 pm »

Well, this is war as it seems! What kind of artifact is it? It's a leather mini-forge, isn't it?
It's a wooden figurine of a goblin having his teeth ripped out by a giant cougar.

Edit: Yet more adventurers have come. Exactly one of them has decided to ask the mayor to give it to him. It will be a firm B press.

Edit 2: This decision eventually resulted in a huge, lethal bar fight which left all 20 adventurers dead, as well as the aforementioned dog. The amount of corpses in my fort that aren't being hauled away, for whatever reason, has caused one of my dwarves to become depressed and another to become oblivious. I expect more to go insane if these fucking bodies don't get dealt with.

I was planning to retire the fort because of this bug, after I finished some projects, but if this keeps going downhill I might just see it to the bitter end.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:11:28 pm by latias1290 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55566 on: October 22, 2020, 02:45:46 pm »

My fort mode experience a couple nights ago was sneakier. One of the monster slayers I hired agreed to steal an artifact for a visitor. I watched them execute the transfer after the artifact was reported stolen by a witness, and immediately intercepted the perp and the monster slayer, arrested and interrogated them both, and got the name of someone off-site who was trying to steal it. But no way to actually find the guy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55567 on: October 25, 2020, 11:21:02 am »

I found a hidden tile at z-level -6, which cannot be designated for digging.

Its neighboring tiles can be designated, which leads me to wonder what on earth is there. Probably something very !!fun!! and spoileriffic.

I'm prioritizing the exploration in that direction.

Also related to exploration: When I discovered a cavern, I got two announcements for it. I had to press enter twice (because I changed the announcement configuration to P:R:BOX), and there's a "2x" next to the announcement. There's nothing unusual about the cavern, and there doesn't seem to be a pit, downward cave or other feature that connects it to another cavern layer. In any case, I can only zoom to one of them, which is the one that the game recentered to in the first place.

Update: The tile in question was the submerged trunk of a tree. I found damp stone next to the tile, which confused me even more, and upon digging into it I immediately discovered the bottom of the lake on the third cavern level. Unfortunately, no fun to be found.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:30:35 am by latias1290 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55568 on: October 26, 2020, 02:11:37 am »

The 2x cavern message might be because it contains two different regions, so you get an announcement for each cavern region.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55569 on: October 26, 2020, 07:45:54 am »

Our hospital is full of miasma. I couldn't find out why, but now I've found out. It is our militia commander.

Guess being a slayer of a FB comes with a price...

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55570 on: October 26, 2020, 11:05:00 am »

Was his skin always green, or is that because of the rot ?
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55571 on: October 26, 2020, 11:28:09 am »

He was always green. He was rotting alive, generating miasma in the hospital for few weeks, then he died. A great hero, he trained three mace lords, was himself legendary fighter, named both his shield and morningstar, now inherited by another mace lord, a new militia commander.

Alongside him, a stonecrafter fell to the forgotten beast. A stonecrafter that contributed with legendary objects to our fortress too, for he had secretive mood once, and demanded way too many different things. We had to slaughter a goat kid for him, and start up the cloth industry. Then he didn't want pig tail cloth but wool cloth, it was madness. After all this, he created the One ring.

Also Legends viewer lied. According to it, only 11 frog men were alive at our world, that's why I started the fortress, to preserve the race. Yet six or so migrant waves arrived, now there's 65 of us. But unlike the previous world, where Legends told us similar stuff, the waves stopped. So there might be no new citizens for a long time. We're the last safe haven of the frog nation...

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55572 on: October 26, 2020, 11:33:29 am »

He was always green.

My bad, I forgot you had the frog nation!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55573 on: October 26, 2020, 05:21:24 pm »

Don't worry, the Chief Medical Dwarf says it's just a flesh wound. A few sutures and he'll be right as rain

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55574 on: October 26, 2020, 05:38:32 pm »

Don't worry, the Chief Medical Dwarf says it's just a flesh wound. A few sutures and he'll be right as rain
Chief Medical Frog
Pages: 1 ... 3703 3704 [3705] 3706 3707 ... 3835