Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3707 3708 [3709] 3710 3711 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788111 times)

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55620 on: November 12, 2020, 07:32:38 am »

I tend to do 100/150 years to test new reactions and stuff myself, with a few 3 to 6 hundred year gens thrown in here and there to make sure nothing goes wrong in older worlds.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55621 on: November 12, 2020, 08:16:40 pm »

Hailing from The Static Hammer, The Brass Net has arrived at Soulorbs:

Strike the earth!

Edit:

Slight problem...

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:54:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55622 on: November 12, 2020, 10:11:34 pm »

Any suggestions?

My personal suggestion, based off of experience, is if you're going to make frequent/consistent use of the caverns, use doors and wall off areas you don't want your dwarves using. Not only does it make the area a little nicer, it prevents nasty cave creatures such as giant cave spiders and giant cave toads from just wandering into your fortress and causing havoc. Cage traps will help this too. And I would also suggest digging out the walls around your exit point to get rid of the tiny passages. Makes fortress defense easier and makes things tidier all at once. Stone flooring will go further in this regard.

...I may or may not have lost a fortress because an FB that breathes fire lit up entire lines of cave foliage and incinerated many of my dwarves because of it. >.>

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55623 on: November 12, 2020, 10:25:03 pm »

Uhhhh.........

I haven't finished digging out the main stockpile yet!

Edit:

I was having my miners dig out the trade depot and main stockpile and one of them dug the down staircase at the top of (what was supposed to be) the main stairwell.

And...

:'(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:44:45 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55624 on: November 12, 2020, 10:47:19 pm »

Ohh, my bad, thought you had more dug out than that. My mistake. I don't really have any suggestions other than what I already posted. I'm still learning myself.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55625 on: November 12, 2020, 10:55:52 pm »

By the look of that, they're barren caverns. Lots of spiders (I can see webs) but no plants or fungitrees.

1. Wall it off until you're ready for it. Build a small "home", and start hiring mercenaries.
2. Put in a big food/drink industry to feed those mercenaries. Make stuff to trade for more food/drink.
3. Build a lot of blocks/bricks to make walls with. Stockpile them near where you are about to break into the caverns in a more organised manner. Cages and mechanisms the same. Train a mechanic to make lotsa traps!
4. Start your dorfs (and the subsequent migrants) in walling off the caverns you have found right at the edges of your map, and move your underground food industry down into them. Trap as many spiders as you can, for a silk industry. If you make a small containment area near one entrance to the caverns in the map, you might be able to catch whatever wanders in there, and use it for stuff.

Alternatively, have the caverns open all the time and enjoy the !fun!!!!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55626 on: November 13, 2020, 02:50:09 am »

Soulorbs has it's first artifact!

Edit:

And Feb Domassat, hunter, has gifted with something gneiss:

Edit2:

Found the third cavern:

And the Magma Sea:

Edit3:

Guess who's come to visit:

Edit4:

Just lost Soulsorbs to a hard drive crash  :'(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:11:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55627 on: November 18, 2020, 01:08:03 am »

An artifact went missing just as a human scholar left, so I checked their inventory. Guilty. I called out the militia. By the time I remembered that I should also be doing stuff in justice she was dead. Which makes me curious: is there a way to find people on the justice screen besides the long list? It's very inconvenient.

Then I turned around for a second and my computer shut off. That could be because I hit the power button, but I suspect that my recent attempt to OC my RAM may be the culprit.

MODIFY: Huzzah!

The whole plan was exposed and thwarted in reload, with the treacherous dwarf sentenced to 50 hammerstrikes and a spy sentenced to 225 days in a cage!

The spy still has the artifact in his bloody hand (he also got a beating), but I'll deal with that later.

SECDOND MODIFY:
Another dwarf decided to steal the same thing, and hand it to a different guy. Bth that dwarf and the guy have been convicted, and apparently punished. But there's no jail sentence, so the guy is just standing around holding the artifact he's been convicted of stealing.

Is there a workaround for this that's less brutal then using the 'kill' command?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 03:01:19 am by nickbii »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55628 on: November 18, 2020, 01:59:34 pm »

Probably not. While I know it's sort of hamstrung me a bit in Fireblade, I just made a habit of killing everyone who showed up without an instrument claiming they were a bard or what have you.

The number of attempted thefts dropped considerably.

Threw a bunch of crap together for fun and the current fort, Daggerearth, is moving along nicely, more or less. There's grumbling about lack of bedrooms, but nobody sleeps on the floor and nobody's gone hungry or sober this past year, though supplies are starting to get tight as of late autumn (the caravan barely brought anything in terms of drinks and I didn't have enough crap available to buy much food and couldn't be bothered, as I was chipping away at my above ground tavern and getting residential situated underground.)

Things are looking up though, as there's now rooms for travelers, I have a married couple perfect for living topside (a legendary beekeeper and his wife, who I appointed the tavern keep for topside,) bedrooms are nearly ready to assign underground, the militia has five dwarves in it - including someone who clearly did a stint as a mercenary or a beast hunter as he came with a pre-trained vine serpent and ten animal kills, plus an unusual skillset as a crossbow and speardwarf - there's iron and flux in abundance and while the terrain was disappointing, being entirely flat discounting the dips in the ground where waterways and ponds sit, there's more than enough wood to fuel a steel industry.

I'd hoped for marble, cause I had added new marble types to the game, but dolomite is fine too. Can just import marble for special purposes I guess.

Anyways, with that legendary beekeeper, I'm hoping mead will be a regular part of the liquid diet here. I noticed in past forts even without anyone with special preference for it, mead disappears awfully quick.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55629 on: November 18, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »

Just lost Soulsorbs to a hard drive crash  :'(
F.  Check out M.2 hard drives for the upcoming Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:35:57 pm by Immortal-D »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55630 on: November 19, 2020, 06:51:25 pm »

Was goign smoothly in Daggerearth, but some kind of issue keeps arising in mid-winter, causing a crash. Never seen anything like it, and apart from some problems with a mod's creatures (mis-defined materials and such) the game and error logs have no indicators of what may be the actual cause of it.

Went back to Fireblade, and that too needs to be abandoned. The militia commander's unit suffered the dreaded "never returns" bug on a raid that was less than a week out, and I know if I retire it, the place will have theives descend on it and look all the artifacts given enough time without me there to kill the would-be thieves. Shame, cause I liked that fort. Hell at least one was stolen in the two-week span of a test retire/unretire.

Suppose I'll have to wait until my expanded mod is ready, here's hoping for marble.

EDIT: May as well share Fireblade before chucking the save into the ether.

EDIT II: So I rolled up a new world while I wait for someone to get back to me on the creatures.

The world I got was apparently first colonized by goblins, as it sports the name The Windy Planet in the goblin tongue, with the region being divided between "The Land of Death" (real encouraging) and two oceans, The Sea of Filling to the east, and The Matched Sea in the southwest.

The dwarves mostly reside on the southwest and eastern slopes of The Spine of Mastery, while others live in a small mountain known as The Wall of Bleeding. There was also a small dwarven presence in the far north, on the southern slope of The Polished Points, but the fortress, called Fatalsilvers, fell to neighboring goblins and then to a bronze colossus and subsequently saw a giant move in. This has left one dwarf civ, The Decisive Knives, on its last legs.

The northern end of "The Spine" is bereft of dwarves, and I found that strange at first, until I noticed it was considered untamed wilds, and for good reason - The Spine's northern slope is peppered with Roc nests, as well as a cave called "The Hairy Shaft" (very unfortunate,) that hosts what can be assumed to be the fire-breathing master of The Spine, the Dragon known as Acathi Jewelbranded, the Luxurious Furnace.

This she-beast is apparently especially hated by the elves of The Contained Musics, at least assuming most of the elves who died there are from the same nearby civ. This talk of dragons and rocs makes me want to try and capture them though, as there's only two living male and three female dragons left in the world. Probably won't though.

I think I might go with the Decisive Knives, though I dunno if I wanna try to reclaim thier old capital or not, if I want to settle along the northern slopes of The Spine, or even just settle somewhere near enough to the ruins to recover its treasures.

EDIT III: Okay, so I may or may not have just murdered the Deciscive Knives' nobility and remaining priesthood.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55631 on: November 21, 2020, 06:03:00 am »

An artifact was stolen on the 13th, recovered, stolen on the 16th, recovered, and it's now the 18th and it has been stolen again. Tuliprisks is a 32400 value figuring of my starting seven founding the fort, and god damn do a bunch of people want it in their forts.

My Captain of Guard better interrogate some of these people soon so I can let the drawbridge back down.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55632 on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:29 am »

I keep my artifacts behind a wall, except for that toy axe that I cannot keep out of the hands of the !@%#$@! 12 kids.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55633 on: November 21, 2020, 05:19:02 pm »

I keep my artifacts behind a wall, except for that toy axe that I cannot keep out of the hands of the !@%#$@! 12 kids.
I might have to start doing that. Or just move my entire noble quarters way down to the magma sea, where they can't be corrupted by every Tom Dick and Harry who comes to worship in the Temple.

I made that post on one monitor, turned left and it was stolen again. On the 22nd.

Meanwhile I have two formerly important human agents whose sentences for Espionage/Stealing Tuliprisks ended and are now in wooden cages. Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with them?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55634 on: November 21, 2020, 05:32:18 pm »

Meanwhile I have two formerly important human agents whose sentences for Espionage/Stealing Tuliprisks ended and are now in wooden cages. Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with them?
Turn them into zombies to then unleash on the next thieves who try to steal from you.
Pages: 1 ... 3707 3708 [3709] 3710 3711 ... 3835