Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3708 3709 [3710] 3711 3712 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788856 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55635 on: November 21, 2020, 05:33:29 pm »

Meanwhile I have two formerly important human agents whose sentences for Espionage/Stealing Tuliprisks ended and are now in wooden cages. Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with them?
Turn them into zombies to then unleash on the next thieves who try to steal from you.

Pour some magma on them.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55636 on: November 21, 2020, 05:46:49 pm »

Meanwhile I have two formerly important human agents whose sentences for Espionage/Stealing Tuliprisks ended and are now in wooden cages. Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with them?
Turn them into zombies to then unleash on the next thieves who try to steal from you.
+1
This one doesn’t burn everything

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55637 on: November 21, 2020, 05:56:13 pm »

It's a neutral biome so that's complicated. But I do have several visiting necros, so I could kill the cagees, arrange for then have the militia attack the necro in sight of their corpses, and grab them in cage traps....

I think the human's already undead. He's a "hollow slayer." I may look up the dwarf in Legends, to find out which Civs he's associated with.

I should check that anyway. There's an Ase Straprinse whose behind several of the thefts, and I should probably go after that guy.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55638 on: November 21, 2020, 06:30:16 pm »

A neutron biome?

Are you playing some kind of science fiction mod?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55639 on: November 21, 2020, 07:58:12 pm »

Huh, I thought he said neutral, imagine an evil neutron biome though

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55640 on: November 22, 2020, 03:05:54 am »

I can't. What would matter composed entirely of neutrons look like? How could it be evil?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55641 on: November 22, 2020, 04:05:59 am »

I can't. What would matter composed entirely of neutrons look like? How could it be evil?
Matter entirely made of neutrons exists in real life, in neutron stars. Gravity there is over a billion times the gravity at Earth's surface. Needless to say a dwarf fortress in those conditions would be short-lived. It would be an instant atom-smash of everything.
Is that evil though? The neutrons do not care.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:43:07 pm by Bralbaard »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #55642 on: November 27, 2020, 03:13:43 pm »

Well, that was close.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55643 on: November 27, 2020, 03:17:02 pm »

Well, that was close.

Let's get this to the wiki main page quote list. This feels exactly like something from there.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #55644 on: November 27, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »

Well, that was close.

Let's get this to the wiki main page quote list. This feels exactly like something from there.
I was honestly surprised it somehow missed the brain - this paladin (an Ardanian human caste from my Majesty addon) is a rather fresh recruit but already had some innate sword skill, so it would have been a shame to lose her right after she got drafted. The attackers were the Aqir, so normally they'd be fairly dangerous, but it was their first attack so the amount of soldiers was fairly low.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55645 on: November 28, 2020, 10:14:25 am »

Year 16 in Torchlaud, the continuously-raining volcanic mountainside castle. Population is up to 146 plus 8 children.  One child has a failed mood and is dehydrating.  We don't accept foreigners as citizens.

The steel-clad military is now 8 axes, 10 spears, 5 hammers, 7 swords, and 6 maces for regulars; with 5 reservists, 8 guards, and 5 full civilian training squads mostly unarmed, leaving 45 non-military dwarfs.

Crime has been almost non-existent lately as all artifacts are either built furniture, assigned to a dwarf, or locked in a room.

A few missions were sent out for tribute, and the last one didn't return.

Our slightly chaotic castle walls & towers are finished now, and a new trade depot is in use, fully engraved with gold doors and a tower over the entrance.

The dwarfs have also constructed an outlying archery tower near the west magma chamber entrance, and finally connected the "lure" hatches to a lever so enemies can't take control of them again. This tower is only accessible from underground.

A goblin, beak dog, & troll siege greeted the new year 16. All dwarfs were sent inside the castle and/or underground. Patrols along the walls were ordered and we were going to wait out the siege because we've got a bit of stress to deal with.  But the overseer failed to remember that trolls can break down doors... so a battle began when the patrolling Axe Lordess Ustata killed the offending troll.  Naturally, another zealous dwarf had to run out the doorway and chase after some beak dogs & goblins, killing several before dodging into the volcano's crater.  All military was scrambled to avenge her and two fights occurred outside the castle, one on each side.  One more dwarf was lost, and the remaining besiegers lost heart and fled.

What to do next?  Perhaps replace castle doors with drawbridges... perhaps not because that's not FUN!!

(edit:  Maybe I'll try Salford Sal's active squad without an assigned barracks for a bit.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:31:35 am by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55646 on: November 28, 2020, 11:33:33 am »

Link to Salford Sal's idea about the squads w/o barracks, see "Recovering unhappy dwarfs":  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177577.msg8216803#new

Here's a GIF showing the castle & fort. The entire mountain is about 55 z-levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dudhhr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55647 on: November 29, 2020, 12:30:32 am »

My dorfs (except one child) have been making useful artifacts, including most people without moodable skills. I have a huge bone industry, so a child (now a legendary bone carver) made a weapon rack out of elk bird bone. Also a bone throne and a rock mechanism. And a «coffin» menacing with spikes of SHEEP LEATHER. Did get a useless craft made of shells though

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55648 on: November 29, 2020, 01:39:30 am »

My dorfs (except one child) have been making useful artifacts, including most people without moodable skills. I have a huge bone industry, so a child (now a legendary bone carver) made a weapon rack out of elk bird bone. Also a bone throne and a rock mechanism. And a «coffin» menacing with spikes of SHEEP LEATHER. Did get a useless craft made of shells though
At least you were lucky enough to have shells at all.  Shells are the number one cause of failed moods and difficult to get if you don't have them.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55649 on: November 29, 2020, 06:32:12 pm »

I got this annoying thing down in the first cavern:

The Forgotten Beast Ipan Ronikngethac has come!  A great beakless warbler.  It has a pair of long antennae and it appears to be emaciated.  Beware its poisonous vapors!

Damn thing's flying around down there slaughtering elk birds and troglodytes.  It likes to breathe its poison at them and kick their heads in.  It got into a tussle with a giant cave spider earlier, and I was hoping the GCS's venom would weaken it or something, but doesn't look like it.  I'd carve some fortifications down there and send some marksdwarves down there to shoot the damn thing down, but I don't know what the vapors do, and I don't want it flying up and breathing it through the fortifications in case it's a really nasty syndrome.  I can't tell because it kills everything it attacks pretty quickly.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 3708 3709 [3710] 3711 3712 ... 3835