Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3723 3724 [3725] 3726 3727 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788879 times)

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55860 on: March 13, 2021, 01:35:04 pm »

Her daughter Rigoth Oilfeasts took the crown but when she died of old age in the year 250 the dwarven empire had been destroyed, and there was nobody to take the crown. The dwarven empire of the Accidental Door was no more.

The Accidental Door is such a good name for a destroyed empire.

May it open once again
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55861 on: March 14, 2021, 10:49:20 am »

Kib Turellor was a decent dwarf, a potash maker who migrated along with his wife Shora Uristilun (a miner) and son Nom to Lancedshrines with the first group to seek out that fledgling fortress. Unfortunately, he did not live there long; he was the first dwarf to go to Armok, and he did so in a strange accident on the lip of the volcanic crater.  You see, a nearby dwarf was inexpertly felling a tree, and it toppled into the crater.  A great cloud of burning cinders rose up and set another tree and the dry plants on fire.  Kib perished in the flames, and the dwarfs believe he fell into the magma as he writhed, burning.  None actually saw him die, and Shora grieved in the uncertainty of it all.

Months later, some said they saw a ghost near the site of the accident.  Another sighting was made of the apparition, which seemed benign. Shora begged the mayor to make a memorial for Kib under another tree that had been allowed to remain standing nearby. Although she was not an engraver of any skill, the mayor insisted that Shora should be allowed to carve an engraving on the stone where the memorial slab was to be placed.

She immediately set to work with tears in her eyes as she reminisced on her and Kib's life together.  As she labored, the ghost hovered just overhead and the hair on her beard stood up (the same way it does on the back of our necks, as humans) as she felt her dead husband's presence.  As she finished the labor of love, she was satisfied with her carving of him in their new home. Her grieving could now be eased and she found new strength to comfort her son.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55862 on: March 14, 2021, 02:20:49 pm »

What the heck is so decent about a potash maker?  I see potash maker, I read "hauling rocks for the rest of his life".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55863 on: March 14, 2021, 02:36:55 pm »

What the heck is so decent about a potash maker?  I see potash maker, I read "hauling rocks for the rest of his life".
Potash is useful! Salt of the earth! Literally! Well, the nitrate is!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55864 on: March 14, 2021, 03:48:09 pm »

Potash is useful! Salt of the earth! Literally! Well, the nitrate is!
That, and...
Kib was a decent dwarf, the memorial says so!
"In memory of Kib Turellor / Born 88 / Died in the year 125 / Devoted father and husband / Friend of walruses"
Does it get much more decent than that?
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55865 on: March 14, 2021, 07:15:58 pm »

After losing 3 of the starting 7 who all managed to get swept along a river and over a waterfall, a wall is now being constructed aling the river bank.  I think they were trying to get water to give to the animals and fell in. 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55866 on: March 14, 2021, 07:23:04 pm »

I think they were trying to get water to give to the animals and fell in.

I recommend making a well or similar (you could put it on a shelf sticking out from that wall you're making if you put a staircase to get up to the top of the wall) and use it as your designated water source. That should cure the falling-in issue, especially if the well shelf has a fence around it.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55867 on: March 14, 2021, 08:30:37 pm »

I ended up using 1 of the rooms that flooded during the aquifer breach as the cistern for an underground well.  So far no other dwarves have had river accidents since then.  Also, a new fortress entrance was started midway up the 6-Z waterfall with a roof but no sides so everybody gets a nice mist bath whenever they come or go.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55868 on: March 14, 2021, 11:01:57 pm »

It can be made into pearlash, which can be used for making clear or crystal glass.  I can't see much use for a dedicated one, though.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55869 on: March 15, 2021, 12:29:17 pm »

See, that's my point.  It's not a dedicated task at all.  I've never needed fertilizer, and I usually don't mess around with clear or crystal glass.

Fortressdeath

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55870 on: March 15, 2021, 04:34:24 pm »

Good thing "profession" doesn't mean anything besides "highest skill" in this game then. I see "potash maker" and I hand them whatever labor they need to get the jobs I need doing in the fortress done.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55871 on: March 16, 2021, 12:07:29 pm »

Good thing "profession" doesn't mean anything besides "highest skill" in this game then. I see "potash maker" and I hand them whatever labor they need to get the jobs I need doing in the fortress done.

I.E., hauling rocks.  :P

Fortressdeath

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55872 on: March 16, 2021, 12:12:59 pm »

See, that's my point.  It's not a dedicated task at all.  I've never needed fertilizer, and I usually don't mess around with clear or crystal glass.

I know why you've never needed fertilizer  ;)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55873 on: March 16, 2021, 02:01:35 pm »

Tbh ive never used those things either. Some 3×7 farms usually overproduce plants for the fortress even without fertilizer and I never really care about fancier glass...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55874 on: March 17, 2021, 12:48:11 pm »

One of my Militia Captains who is a legendary axedwarf (level 30) with 69 kills is apparently too small to wield a battleaxe one handed.  So I guess he just goes into battle with the shield strapped to his back and two-hands the axe.  There is something endearing about a dwarf who didn't want to let anyone know that he couldn't use the axe they gave him with one hand and just go so good at it that it didn't matter.
Pages: 1 ... 3723 3724 [3725] 3726 3727 ... 3835