Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3732 3733 [3734] 3735 3736 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787770 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55995 on: May 31, 2021, 10:00:44 am »

@thegoatgod_pan
DFFD to upload games. Having clown invaders is excellent... Prepare the magma!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55996 on: June 01, 2021, 05:28:03 pm »

A checkerboard full of magma, drop water onto if from above. Demon statues.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55997 on: June 02, 2021, 07:45:26 am »

years ago my fort went from like 170 dwarwves to 35 due to a werebison epidemic.  It made the mountainhome angry, and ever since I haven't gotten any dwarven caravans (two each of human and elven caravans), nor any new migrants.

Of those dwarves... 9 of them are children. another 9 are soldiers . 4 of them are scholars that do little except for talk about causation and reproductive behavior. Taht means that all the actual work is being done by less than half of my population-constrained and over-stressed fort.

Meanwhile, we're still getting sieged regularly by goblin/dwarf forces.

I have a "rehab" burrow with two dwarves in it where they spend all theri time in the nice dining room, temple, and library. Slowly they're getting fewer bad thoughts from seeing corpses. But my god that's slow.

And... to top it all off, one of the dozen or so visiting scholars is Rovod Thikutletmos, a dwarven scholar CURSED ZOMBIE. what? I mean... OK.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55998 on: June 04, 2021, 01:40:06 pm »

But it is?  :o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55999 on: June 04, 2021, 06:20:25 pm »

Haha, you mean you wish we could make use of magma without killing ourselves! Magma by geology definition is molten rock in a closed system, hence the risk of being pressurized. Pop it open, even a little, and you have to deal with the dissolved water and gasses instantly coming out of solution and seeking that exit, spraying molten rock and thousand degree steam everywhere. And that's ignoring the toxicity and caustic consequences of the chemical composition of that material.

Molten rock that has been exposed already is called lava. Theoretically lava is at about atmospheric pressure, but water and gaseous compounds are still boiling out of it even miles down the slopes of volcanoes like in Hawaii, which are still toxic, hence geologists collecting samples using heat shielded clothing and respirators.

As humans, we can't really get close enough to the stuff to make good commercial use of it until it's cooled and solidified. Dwarves must have some anatomical advantage to prevent chemical/heat burns and suffocation/poisoning and mining techniques that allow venting pressure before opening a magma pocket.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56000 on: June 05, 2021, 09:36:43 pm »

Well, the dwarves have arrived at Channelburied.

t
The dwarves dug out the welcoming level with the trade depot and main stockpile and then started digging down to the tavern level 4 levels below.

The soon encountered a problem...

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56001 on: June 06, 2021, 03:54:56 am »

Well, they found a buried "channel". It is indeed expansive.
Time to make a WHOLE LOT of rock blocks and start walling it off to live in?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56002 on: June 06, 2021, 02:05:28 pm »

Channelburied fell to a berserk weaponsmith who failed a mood because everyone else did everything they could to delay doing what they needed to do to get him the materials he needed.  >:(

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56003 on: June 06, 2021, 08:25:36 pm »

Channelburied fell to a berserk weaponsmith who failed a mood because everyone else did everything they could to delay doing what they needed to do to get him the materials he needed.  >:(
This is one of several reasons why I micro-manage my Dwarves labors, to an extent.  In your case, any Dwarf with a pickaxe would get mining only, no hauling or anything else.  If he needed bones, every Dwarf would then get switched to butcher, tanner, and bone carver.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56004 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:07 pm »

Nothing much. My forts name is Respect The Simplicity of Life. Yes, that's its real name. I had another fort by the name of The Death of God, that died due to forgotten beasts.

Here's what it looks like:

My forts military is made up of moms. They take their babies to their sparing sessions.

I have an artifact mug that references itself.   

The artifacts at my fort reference the settling of a dingo 4 years prior.

The first artifact of the fort is a lead fail of all things. 

I also have an active book industry and library. Here are some of forts works. The scribes and scholars at my fort are also hammer lords.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56005 on: June 06, 2021, 10:16:07 pm »

I’m beginning to suspect that embarking carefully in order to bring more food and drink may not be all it’s cracked up to be.  It seems to me, that if you “embark now!”  and then set up your farming, gathering, and brewing as soon as you can, that you can generate just as much extra food and drink in the time it takes the dwarves in the fortress where you “embarked carefully” to haul all the extra stuff underground…

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56006 on: June 07, 2021, 11:23:50 am »

Nothing much. My forts name is Respect The Simplicity of Life. Yes, that's its real name. I had another fort by the name of The Death of God, that died due to forgotten beasts.

Here's what it looks like:

My forts military is made up of moms. They take their babies to their sparing sessions.

Clearly, that fort is doing a lot of respecting.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56007 on: June 07, 2021, 02:03:45 pm »

I'm at the point where I'm going for more !!!FUN!!! rather than safety in my 2-year fort, sort of like "graduating".

Gravearmor
Year 007
No bridges to seal out invaders or caverns.  Only doors.
It's also my first reanimating biome (the S.E. part of the 5x5 embark), so a fair amount of undead.
Had that migration wave that passed through profane fog and became thralls that I posted above.

Just had the toughest fight yet... a webbing, poisonous, forgotten beast spider.
Sent my 3 squads (15 steel armored dwarfs) and 7 of the best died before killing it.
Reorganizing the squads now, promoting 2 survivors to squad leader & militia commander positions.
The new militia commander is the mace lord that got in the killing blow and named her mace.
She's one of 5 survivors from the embark.

I have to say that !!!FUN!!! is more fun than <safe>.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 08:24:17 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56008 on: June 07, 2021, 04:07:39 pm »

Welcome to Buckgranite!

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56009 on: June 08, 2021, 11:37:19 am »

Looks like you're going to have a waterfall entrance into your fort  8)
Pages: 1 ... 3732 3733 [3734] 3735 3736 ... 3835