Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3733 3734 [3735] 3736 3737 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5840700 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56010 on: June 08, 2021, 02:06:54 pm »

I love maps like that too. You can have a really cool tower over the river merger there. And a very easily defended position overall.

My fort has a volcano in the northeast and a river flowing through the west side north-south ways. I dug a channel towards the fort and filled it from the top of the volcano for my magma forges, and I'm considering roofing over the volcano to stop magma crabs from scuttling out and setting the forest on fire. Dug another channel from the river to feed an indoor well with an artifact grate around it. Fort itself consists of a big block I've walled in and roofed over for a meeting hall that's also serving as the inn, temples and guild halls. Gonna merge the lava and river to form an obsidian foundry, not that there's any shortage of obsidian, or marble it turns out, on the border of one volcanic region and one metamorphic/sedimentary region. I've hollowed out four stories underneath the meeting hall for stockpiles and workshops, and I'm debating where around it to place rooms for other purposes. No hospital or bedrooms just yet just had everyone bunking in a single side room. The nobles need rooms to do their jobs too. And of course I need at least a rudimentary jail, maybe another one that doubles as the managers office so they'll meet with unhappy prisoners.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56011 on: June 09, 2021, 05:04:02 pm »

Looks like you're going to have a waterfall entrance into your fort  8)

You mean like this?

Anyways, a quick tour:

First we have the Depot Level with our trade depot and main stockpile (which we've disabled food, drink, and goblets on):

Next, a few levels up, we have thne farming level.  Currently, this includes the seed stockpile, a plump helmet farm, and a loom that i set up in order to get materials for a mood.  I need to expand this...

Next, a few levels down from Depot Level,  we have what will soon become accommodations at the inn.

Next, one level below, we have the Main Level.  Directly north of the staircase, we have our tavern, The Breakfasts Of Trading.  Directly north of the tavern, are two stockpiles.  On the left is a stockpile for drinks and prepared meals, and on the right is our stockpile of cups.  Directly north of these stockpiles are a series of workshops.  From left to right, these are:  leather works, tannery, butcher's shop, kitchen, fishery, and two stills (which have been moved down from the farming level).  To the north of these workshops is are two stockpiles. On the left is a stockpile for empty barrels, and on the right is a food stockpile set to take everything except seeds, drinks, and prepared meals.  Below and to the left of the main staircase, is our bookkeeper's office, and directly opposite it, is our manager's office.  Directly to the south of the bookkeeper's office is our non-denominational temple, The Cavernous Spine.  Across the hall is our temporary industry hall, which currently houses our carpenter's and mason's shops (this will eventually become a museum for our artifacts). Directly to the east of the tewmorary industry hall, we have our first guildhall, The Cyclopean Play, a ranger guildhall home to The Hairy Hall.

Directly to the south of our non-denominational temple, is a third temporary industry hall with a smelter that we set up to get materials for a mood, and a metalsmith's forge that we set up for a mood (this will eventually become our first denominational temple --one we get a request for one-- ).  Across the hall, we have a secondary temporary industry hall with a craftsdwarf's shop that we used to make our cups, and a wood furnace that we used to get materials for making materials for a mood (this will eventually become our library).

We still need to setup our Mayor's rooms on this level, and we're also probably going to need another guildhall pretty soon...

One level below our Main Level, (some of) our 19 miners are mining out our main industry level (I'm expecting them to form a guild very soon...)

Finally, with eight levels between it and the Main Industry Level, we have our Dormitory Level.  We'll be adding citizen housing on the level below...

Speaking of artifacts, we had another weaponsmith mood.  Under the same circumstance.  Except this time our dwarves didn't sit on their collective asses.

Anyways, there's much to do...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56012 on: June 09, 2021, 05:38:26 pm »

I’m beginning to suspect that embarking carefully in order to bring more food and drink may not be all it’s cracked up to be.  It seems to me, that if you “embark now!”  and then set up your farming, gathering, and brewing as soon as you can, that you can generate just as much extra food and drink in the time it takes the dwarves in the fortress where you “embarked carefully” to haul all the extra stuff underground…

It's not always about food. I embark carefully, but that's because I have a history of embarking on (heavy) aquifers, and tend to like bringing plenty of stone and wood for making stuff to get through my aquifer. I also like to train dorfs for different things before and after they arrive, and experiment with that. I do store my favourite embark builds, for fast embarking.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56013 on: June 09, 2021, 07:00:45 pm »

As expected, we have our second guild hall, The Silvery Shadow, home to The Abyssal Company.  Also, we now have a mayor.  They seem to like hatch covers...

Also, one of my miners got possessed...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56014 on: June 10, 2021, 06:03:41 am »

A blessed mayor is one who is so easily pleased by the simplest of Dwarven goods, like the humble and useful hatch

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56015 on: June 10, 2021, 09:07:35 am »

A blessed mayor is one who is so easily pleased by the simplest of Dwarven goods, like the humble and useful hatch

I actually had a mayor with a good idea recently. He said to make backpacks, and waddayaknow, we actually needed backpacks right then. That was a first.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56016 on: June 10, 2021, 11:33:42 am »

Hey, it can happen.  For example, in one of my more recent forts I had a noble that liked bolts, and I had a lot of active training for my marksdwarves going on.  If you can't get a noble that has no item likes to spawn mandates, you can at least try for someone who's going to demand something you'll be cranking out by the gross anyway.

My last artifact created was a silver sarcophagus, that's good for the ruling noble's tomb.  If I don't get good weapon or armor artifacts, I'll settle for furniture, because those will at least jack up the value of noble quarters.

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56017 on: June 10, 2021, 08:27:00 pm »

I actually had a mayor with a good idea recently. He said to make backpacks, and waddayaknow, we actually needed backpacks right then. That was a first.

He’s been re-elected.  Now he’s banning the export of backpacks…

(There’s been a bunch happening, but I’ve been too busy to post pictures…)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56018 on: June 11, 2021, 04:12:16 pm »

Hey, I've got a question...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56019 on: June 11, 2021, 07:50:13 pm »

Had my first death.  Apparently a visiting macedwarf.  At first I thought he’d fallen in the ravine and drowned, but the combat logs say he was killed by a werechameleon.  I don’t have a military, yet.  I’m trying to got metal production set up as fast as I can (warm stone cancellations seem to be slowing everything down).

Im scared.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56020 on: June 12, 2021, 02:36:55 am »

I think I may have a problem...  My miners have asked for a grand guildhall, and I'm trying to oblige them.  The problem is that the place has been smoothed and engraved and now has at least 20 different statues installed and it's still nowhere near the required room value...  It's been nearly a year (there's a bunch of red d's in the hallway, slowing everyone down) and I'm afraid the agreement is going to fall through.

Also, I've just received a request for an "Animal Caretaker" guildhall...

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56021 on: June 12, 2021, 10:43:35 am »

I think I may have a problem...  My miners have asked for a grand guildhall, and I'm trying to oblige them.  The problem is that the place has been smoothed and engraved and now has at least 20 different statues installed and it's still nowhere near the required room value...  It's been nearly a year (there's a bunch of red d's in the hallway, slowing everyone down) and I'm afraid the agreement is going to fall through.

One or two masterwork gold statues should get you to 10k. If your metal crafters are just getting started it might take a few more.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56022 on: June 12, 2021, 10:50:56 am »

has at least 20 different statues installed and it's still nowhere near the required room value...

I forgot if pedestals displaying artefacts (or generally valuable goods, like cookie jars) count towards location wealth. That could be a way to still fulfill the petition in time, at least until you have more valuable furniture.

As DwarfStar suggested, furniture quality is a very important factor. Even something cheap like wood statues can be valuable if at masterwork quality. If you have any highly skilled workers, consider getting them on the job.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56023 on: June 12, 2021, 11:34:53 am »

Or if you have space, dig out the hall bigger!

I'm experimenting with refusing all guild petitions in the current fort. Refused 2 so far and there are some bad thoughts of course, but the fort is still young. We'll see how it goes.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56024 on: June 12, 2021, 12:02:25 pm »

One or two masterwork gold statues should get you to 10k. If your metal crafters are just getting started it might take a few more.

I gave my farmers aluminum.  That impressed them enough.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 3733 3734 [3735] 3736 3737 ... 3836