Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3736 3737 [3738] 3739 3740 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851710 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56055 on: July 01, 2021, 06:21:52 pm »

10. Dwarves ate every speck of food in the fort due to population boom, had to vastly increase farming area, this only spurred the hornbearded bastards to new heights of reproduction.
Do you have any plans yet for what to do with that large brewing demonstration generation once they come of age?

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56056 on: July 02, 2021, 07:08:52 am »

Do you have any plans yet for what to do with that large brewing demonstration generation once they come of age?

Not yet, still mulling it over. Figure some will get shoved into the militia but they are already near capacity and doing just fine but was already considering creating a "training area" for dwarf children in the traditional DF meaning. Some though will be inducted into the smithing cult and probably an extra brewer or two to help with the ever rising hard liqueur consumption levels. Maybe, since this is also a "frontier fort" I will just conscript the whole bloody lot and send them off to invade the humans and cast the goblins out. At least get to imagine I am forcing the humans to mass-produce goods for me like the Conquistadors did to other colonized areas indigenous populations. Armok knows I am gonna need another civilization to help with the windfall from the population boom.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56057 on: July 02, 2021, 08:36:48 pm »

Welcome to Monkbolts!

Monkbolts is a Dwarven Fortress founded by The Slippery Rooms of The Rampart of Gleaming.  It is located in The Subtle Jungles of The Land of Veiling.
(down towards the bottom middle of the map)

One of the first sights that a visitor will see is this beautiful raised bridge that passes beside a waterfall.

(I'm hoping that by raising the bridge above the waterline (instead of having it at the waterline -like my last two forts-), that it'll keep the alligators at bay.  So far, it's worked.)

Here is our main level, including The Barricaded Saffron (our tavern) and The Liberty of Wondering (our non-denominational temple).

While making our first attempt at digging out a dormitory, we ran into a problem.  Luckily the breach seen in the following pictures has been sealed.

Finally, we have been blessed by several generous individuals that have donated to our fort (no less than four of which have left us stuff in their wills).

Btw, does anyone know how to get this onto dry land?

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56058 on: July 03, 2021, 01:17:37 am »

It's quite a labor intensive way, but if it doesn't wash away too quickly, you can build some screw pumps to dry out a path to it.  5 pumping upstream would effectively dam that flow, but you might be able to do it with less than 5 if you have a more creative pump placement method.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56059 on: July 03, 2021, 03:01:59 pm »

Does anybody know of a way to keep alligators off of bridges and out of entry tunnels?
They will run in fear if they see too many "enemies", so a six-pack of dogs on chains or in a pasture is usually enough.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56060 on: July 03, 2021, 07:38:27 pm »

Don't have time to post pictures right now, but so many people have taken the ride over the falls that I’ve given up on my corpse stockpile high rise project and am currently in the process of setting up a quantum stockpile that dumps onto a hatch above a magma pool (first, I have a bunch of donated animals that I need to free from their cages).  Luckily, the only people going on the ride have been merchants and visitors.  The bad part is that it happens so frequently that it’s hard to keep up.  Also, there’s still the problem of the books.  I’m considering putting floor grates under the waterfall beside the bridge.  Not sure if that’s possible, though…

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56061 on: July 03, 2021, 11:04:44 pm »

I’m considering putting floor grates under the waterfall beside the bridge.  Not sure if that’s possible, though…
I tried building grates out off from grates and they just collapsed like walls do when built on the middle span of a retracting bridge; So I bet you'd have to first construct a wall 1 tile away from the bridge, all the way from 1 of the support sides first in order to provide support where the bridge does not.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56062 on: July 04, 2021, 12:00:45 am »

I’m considering putting floor grates under the waterfall beside the bridge.  Not sure if that’s possible, though…
I tried building grates out off from grates and they just collapsed like walls do when built on the middle span of a retracting bridge; So I bet you'd have to first construct a wall 1 tile away from the bridge, all the way from 1 of the support sides first in order to provide support where the bridge does not.

I want to put the grates where the “2” and the “3” are, and the tile between them.  I’d think that the rock wall behind the waterfall would provide support.  I guess the only thing to do is to try.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56063 on: July 04, 2021, 11:10:00 am »

Looks like the support is good, but construction will likely get suspended often each time a puff of water passes through that tile.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56064 on: July 05, 2021, 03:18:29 am »

Any waterfall tile that is exposed and directly next to a dwarves path seems to encourage them to take a ride down the slippery death slope.

In a related (but not necessarily the same) mechanic, when attempting to settle the upper plateau of a waterfall canyon your dwarves will assume the safest path across a river is not the bridge but instead freeclimbing the algae-covered precipice while a whole river washes over your dumb bearded head. They always die, it is cursed, hopefully a fix will come in a few years. .

The grates should work, I don't think dwarves can be swept through floor grates like they can through wall grates.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56065 on: July 05, 2021, 10:42:12 am »

embarked on an evil biome, forgot about it, decided to make top ground fort, a big ass tower type of building with loads of winding paths and claustrophobic rooms.

thankfully the only thing the biome has that is outside the norm is a toxic sludge rain that makes the dorfs feverish and depressed,

ofcourse they will end up either dying to the fever (i think..not sure if they can die of fever but they tend to drop for no reason here and there)  or temper tantrums.

i also stopped burying people so the fort is full of ghosts now....just for the kicks of it.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56066 on: July 05, 2021, 02:22:16 pm »

It is raining putrid sludge, just as it was when the 7 dwarves started their fortress.
The dwarves knew they had to endure. Situated between a tower and a goblin fortress, they were going to stop the threat of their homelands once and for good. Experienced fortress builders as they were, they set swiftly about their task.
It didn't take long before the last mountain hall succumbed to invaders and after a polite discussion, Medtob the engraver became king. It was raining putried sludge. Again. One other hillock remained. The dwarves had to endure.
Despite the harsh environment, the fortress thrived. Artifacts were created. Scholars and legendary musicians started to visit and add to this already legendary place. Alas it also attracted some less savory types.
Between the disgusting rains, the dwarves easily dealt with a giant and a small invasion of goblins. Soap usage was high. Temple visits were frequent. Stress was surprisingly low.
But this fortress was about to tested even more. With the rains, a human criminal washed up and took off with an instrument made of gold. The dwarves laughed at him. Some junk made by an apprentice to learn his skill. A much better one was crafted.
The criminal returned. Time to craft more musical instruments? The criminal was just mingling and listening to the many performances. It seemed rather innocent. Maybe he bettered his live?
Then a blasphemous act occurred. The sheer profanity! One of our very own stole the artifact perfect peridot gem from its display. Even before he could be interrogated, he was seen passing on the artifact to the human criminal. Something really foul was going on and it was not just the rain!
The criminal was quickly apprehended and sentenced to a full month in jail. The artifact put back on display again. The dwarves had heard frightening legends about the inability of retrieving stolen artifacts, but they did it. Nothing was going to stop them.
So it was on an uneventful day, the criminal was released again. He headed straight for the inn. Every sane dwarf would go for a drink, so the dungeon master thought little of it. His carelessness however spelled doom for the fort.
Around the same time a slightly drunk militia member decided to go to the inn and correct the alcohol issue (slightly? common he needed more, the poor chap). There he met the criminal. On the loose. Or so he thought. He immediately fired a shot and hit his mark!
The criminal stumbled, bleeding, into the inn. Panicked he didn't know where to go. Another shot was fired at him. Miss! Several dwarves behind him had to dodge the bolt. One of them he recognized as a friend. He was still panicking and trying to just get away. His friend thought different about it. In rage for nearly being shot the dwarf drew his axe an joined the fight on the side of the criminal.
Utter chaos followed. Everyone was fighting everyone. Even the kids joined in and started to fight everyone. Whenever wounded were taken care off, new fights would start again. Quickly everyone even remotely skilled in medical care was killed.
No one escaped unharmed. Without medical care the wounds soon infected. The once proud halls became silent.
Now only the masterful inscriptions in the grand halls tell the tale of this fortress. Because there is not a living soul still alive that remembers its name. Or it must be the human criminal, as his body has never been found.
Ir is still raining putrid sludge. Beware what it brings!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56067 on: July 05, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »

Well, Monkbolts has fallen.  Along the way, I had a friendly necromancer arrive in a migrant wave, and had a ghost apply for long term residency, and learned how to (temporarily) shut off a waterfall.

Unfortunately, I failed in my primary goal which was to have a five-person axedwarf squad kitted up with steel armor and weapons before the first hostile showed up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a military setup quicker?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56068 on: July 05, 2021, 06:13:00 pm »

Well, Monkbolts has fallen.  Along the way, I had a friendly necromancer arrive in a migrant wave, and had a ghost apply for long term residency, and learned how to (temporarily) shut off a waterfall.

Unfortunately, I failed in my primary goal which was to have a five-person axedwarf squad kitted up with steel armor and weapons before the first hostile showed up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a military setup quicker?
Don't.

You can't easily guarantee that you have access to iron ore, charcoal, and flux. An anvil on embark is a pain in the butt and you'd need multiple to absolutely 100% guarantee that you have everyone in multiple pieces of steel armor plus steel axes by the time the first hostiles appear.

Turtle for a year or two. Bring extra picks so you can mine out a lot. Particularly trenches that are deep enough that things can't climb them. Your entrance is 3-5 squares wide (so the wagons can get in) but is otherwise closed, and is easily sealed with a drawbridge. If there's a section you can't dig out (lest it fill with river water or something) put a wall across it. Let the military grow as your population and resources grow, not because you have a timeline to have five LegendaryX5 Axedwarves in super-great kit.

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56069 on: July 05, 2021, 09:34:57 pm »

The latest raiding party from Ringlabor has acquired what appears to be a tome of elven smut:

"An Exploration Of The Elf was a legendary pinfire opal-bound codex...The written portion consists of a 20 page essay entitled An Exploration of the Elf, authored by Eliye Releasemoths. It concerns the marriage of the elf Lefari Renownpoem and the elf Eliye Releasemoths in 116. The writing indulges the author's every whim. Overall, the prose is passable."

Passable prose or not, it's quite a hit with the scholars; the scribes have already made two copies.
Pages: 1 ... 3736 3737 [3738] 3739 3740 ... 3836