Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3738 3739 [3740] 3741 3742 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788220 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56085 on: July 12, 2021, 04:26:42 pm »

Anyways, the latest migrant wave brought a remarkable newcomer:

"How's the patient, Doctor ?"
"One way or another, they'll be up and about in no time..."

I'm reminded of previous forts, where immigrant doctors have been talented bone doctor/bone carvers...  ???
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 04:29:19 pm by Kat »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56086 on: July 12, 2021, 06:20:04 pm »

I’m missing the zealousness, where do I look to find what you’re looking at? I see she doesn’t care about the fact that life isn’t fair or about friends

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56087 on: July 12, 2021, 07:03:58 pm »

Ah, the one doctor who cannot fail. Wonderful

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56088 on: July 12, 2021, 10:52:56 pm »

Unfortunately there’s been a terrible accident and Empiresbrass has fallen.  Lessons learned from this fort will be taken into consideration in future forts.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56089 on: July 13, 2021, 02:36:36 am »

How did it fall?

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56090 on: July 13, 2021, 10:09:45 am »

Line dance

Most dwarves working hard, while the many human performers having a great time.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56091 on: July 13, 2021, 10:23:06 am »

How does dancing lead to a fallen fort?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56092 on: July 13, 2021, 11:03:30 am »

Those are two different people posting.  :D
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56093 on: July 13, 2021, 11:07:30 am »

Oh…whoops

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56094 on: July 13, 2021, 05:24:19 pm »

Trying to destroy one of three major cities with a particular goblin empire

guarded by 2200 trolls and 1600 goblins

I've sent 30 legendary militia dwarves to "raze" it probably about 10 times a year to wear it down

Right now under 200 trolls left and under 400 goblins
Excited to finally destroy this city! Even if they just resettle it later that civs military will still pretty much be broken thereafter

Sad news....two more cities

and then two other goblin civs also attacking me who I will likely have to do this with  :'(

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56095 on: July 13, 2021, 11:10:28 pm »

How did it fall?

Not quite sure.  First there was the problem that Everyone seemed to be ignoring the tavern and temple that I set up.  Then there was the Werecreature that came, and I didn’t have a military or any way to keep it out (or get my dwarves inside quickly).

I think the last straw was a channeling accident that occurred when I sent a miner to channel out a spot that had previously been missed while my haulers were clearing the area (either that or one of my haulers up and died of old age while atop a ramp and dropped his Boulder down the ramp and onto another hauler.  It was too hard to tell from the reports and announcement.). Anyways, thing really went downhill from there…

Things to do in my next fort:

See if I can find a way to temporarily block access to my fort from outside.

See if there’s a way to get those who are outside to quickly high-tail it inside.

See if there’s any way that I can get a military up and going faster (I’d start out with copper gear, but I’m concerned about my militia becoming attached to the copper stuff and refusing to upgrade later.  That and most of the early threats are showing up with iron or better.).

Remember to be more careful when channeling.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56096 on: July 14, 2021, 11:29:37 am »

Two of my always dos in DF:

1) Always make a moat around my main Fort that is as deep as I can get it without flooding. 5-Z-Levels if I can. Places where I can't get a strategically placed wall. 3-5 squares wide. Access to the fort is via a bridge.

2) Never channel more than one Z-level of a major excavation at once. There is absolutely no need for you to do multiples. They will kill themselves, in the most inconvenient way possible.

After that is achieved I start attaching levers, and building walls around my safe area so that gobboes can't shoot my haulers from the safety of the other side of the moat.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #56097 on: July 14, 2021, 01:26:43 pm »

Things to do in my next fort:

See if I can find a way to temporarily block access to my fort from outside.

See if there’s a way to get those who are outside to quickly high-tail it inside.

See if there’s any way that I can get a military up and going faster (I’d start out with copper gear, but I’m concerned about my militia becoming attached to the copper stuff and refusing to upgrade later.  That and most of the early threats are showing up with iron or better.).

Remember to be more careful when channeling.

I always have an "airlock" of two sets of doors with space between them and stone blocks stockpiled nearby. In case of invaders, get everyone inside and forbid the doors. In case of building destroyer invaders, forbid the doors and build walls behind them with the nearby blocks. The travel time from the edge of the map plus the time it takes to destroy the doors is usually enough time to get those walls built, especially since blocks are much faster to haul than stone boulders. More sophisticated drawbridge/moat/wall setups can wait until I have the labor force to work with. This also is handy to have inside your fortress in the case of an invasion that does breech your perimeter, or a civil war/tavern brawl/accidental spill where you need to lock down part of your fort.

Getting everyone inside is easy; set up a burrow that covers all the inside areas of your fortress. Don't include the doors, and name it something obvious like "Emergency" or "Inside". When you need to sound the alarm, go to your military screen, find the alerts tab, and set Inactive (Civ) to your emergency burrow. All dwarves should immediately cancel tasks and retreat inside, though you might need to forbid heavy hauled items if they don't drop them automatically.

The militia advice, I'll leave to the threads that already exist. However, copper is a perfectly reasonable material for blunt weapons such as hammers and maces, and dwarves don't seem to get too emotionally distraught on being separated from gear they have an attachment to. You have plenty of time to swap it out before they name it and it becomes an artifact.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56098 on: July 16, 2021, 04:46:55 am »

Decided to fire up a fort using a cocktail of SVE, What Lurks Below, Lands of Duality, and Primal.

I don't know what happened, I went in blind, but there's no dwarves, only subjugated/dispossessed humans from a nation known as The Embraced Kingdom. And no matter where they go, they have few friends. The settlers have chosen The Mire of Attack for thier home, mainly because it's centrally located and put them in range of at least four trade partners: Kestrel, Blue Shark, and Lizard Men as well as the Elves. Signs point to there hopefully being a chance for Lion Men to also be nearby that might come to the place as mercenaries, but they're a hair too far out for trade.

The place shall be known as Crownfates, founded by The Coalition of Crowns. They (just like most others, even with my tweaks,) have a fair stock of dinosaurs to draw on, and wherever they're from was near mountains and savage deserts as they have a number of creatures from SVE only found in the mountains and caverns and plants only found in the aforementioned savage deserts. They also aren't exactly winners when it comes to thier cultural values. It's like RNG set these people up for failure as a culture.

Also found a typo to fix for SVE, so that's great.  ::)

Still, while I lack access to steel and primordium directly, things should go well if the mineral resources aren't junk. Maybe. Hopefully.

EDIT: Excellent mineral weath so far, with ample magnetite and hematite readily available along with bog iron and native copper.

SpaceKitty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56099 on: July 16, 2021, 10:14:36 am »

Reaching now the point where the absolute majority of the fort masters necromancy and... never again.

Had to take care of a couple ogres, nothing to sweat about, and it turned again into a gesture party.
A little squad vs 4 invaders, a fight that should have been just a mere skirmish, brought the game to its knees, and incidentally killed the whole fort.

Not sure exactly what happened, but looks like the moment there's something resurrectable and a dwarf gets spooked, it gestures. The resurrected unit is supposed to be friendly but there's combat log between them and other dwarves around. There's also a significant loyalty spam: "this is my fight, I have a part in this etc...". This leads to more body parts, more gestures etc.. and it never ends.

Necromancy is broken, and ending the fort this way is frustrating.
Pages: 1 ... 3738 3739 [3740] 3741 3742 ... 3835