Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3739 3740 [3741] 3742 3743 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789221 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56100 on: July 16, 2021, 02:03:05 pm »

I dunno spacekitty, a few years ago your perspective might have been different. The fact we could successfully retrieve the secrets of life and death and then convert out entire fortress into evil necromancers was pretty dang cool in the first place. I would also argue that no necromancer worth their salt would want to share a fortress with 90 other necromancers. So the whole, you know, "I raised an undead troll that is now killing the rest of the fortress" is an apt ending to anyone insane enough to try the above, and arguably not 'broken'.

Though, there is perhaps a point to be made regarding newly raised undead truly adopting the alignment of their necromancer, but even then I feel as though Dwarven opposition to death-made-into-life would still result in the above cascades.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56101 on: July 16, 2021, 04:48:23 pm »

I agree..perhaps necromancy is intentionally broken, and accidentally getting a necromancer via copied book is supposed to be a Fun-inducing event similar to a werebeast infection. The whole “opposed to life” thing seems incompatible with…life.

If you want to play with learning secrets without having undead everywhere, I recommend trying one of the mods that implement magic that way like Aeramore (just beware, in that mod, water mages are necros which I found out the hard way).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 10:58:28 pm by DwarfStar »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56102 on: July 16, 2021, 07:27:34 pm »

The last three necromancers I got came in migration waves.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

SpaceKitty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56103 on: July 17, 2021, 03:25:18 am »

I dunno spacekitty, a few years ago your perspective might have been different. The fact we could successfully retrieve the secrets of life and death and then convert out entire fortress into evil necromancers was pretty dang cool in the first place.

Yeah maybe but that was hardly an achievement in this one.

It's a thousand years old world, and necromancy is everywhere. It just came into the fortress by itself, and just building the library enabled fast replication to the whole population without having to do anything. The challenge would have been to keep it out of the stronghold in the first place.

My beef is more of a technical nature, when the tiniest fight cascades into an endless loop of resurrection of meaningless body parts, driving performance to a halt and slaughtering innocent bystanders. It's not like there was any drama brewing in the population, as happiness in general was kept high, and not in a single tantrum so far as everyone's needs was being addressed.

I'd love to figure out what went wrong, but it seems more like a game mechanic tweak problem, something unfinished. 

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56104 on: July 17, 2021, 06:14:08 am »

My beef is more of a technical nature, when the tiniest fight cascades into an endless loop of resurrection of meaningless body parts, driving performance to a halt and slaughtering innocent bystanders. It's not like there was any drama brewing in the population, as happiness in general was kept high, and not in a single tantrum so far as everyone's needs was being addressed.

I'd love to figure out what went wrong, but it seems more like a game mechanic tweak problem, something unfinished.

A possible ducttape fix to the FPS problem could be to simply elongate the cooldown of the necromancy ability. (That's possible in uncompressed saves, right?)

Perhaps a more sophisticated solution would be a condition akin to a reverse martial trance, where the necromancers only use their abilities if they have no living allies nearby (and conversely not too many nonliving allies or neutral unliving helpers). This could also result in new fun quirks, like a necromancer resurrecting the entire morgue when stubbing their toe.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56105 on: July 17, 2021, 10:35:51 pm »

Ok...

Hopefully things will go better this time.

The dwarves of The Walls of Roughness, hailing from The Confining Canyon,  have come to ac spot in The Mortal Jungle of The Continents of Will.

Here they have decided to found a fortress which they have decided to call "Swamppaged".

Strike The Earth!

Edit:

Dwarves cancel Make Fortress:  not enough stone layers between surface and first cavern.

Welp!  Time to try again!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:57:23 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56106 on: July 18, 2021, 03:50:06 am »

Found a cavern in my own fortress... unit list shows some odd things... a lot of dead troglodyte babies. Ten skeletons and corpses, and a few adult skeletons. So I go looking...

There's a group of troglodytes stuck up a fungiwood tree, which is surrounded by water... is there an aquifer that has been leaking into the cavern ?

Seems like the female troglodytes had been giving birth while stuck up this tree, and most of the babies had fallen into the water and drowned...

Well, that's depressing.  :-\

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56107 on: July 18, 2021, 08:31:36 am »

Found a cavern in my own fortress... unit list shows some odd things... a lot of dead troglodyte babies. Ten skeletons and corpses, and a few adult skeletons. So I go looking...

There's a group of troglodytes stuck up a fungiwood tree, which is surrounded by water... is there an aquifer that has been leaking into the cavern ?

Seems like the female troglodytes had been giving birth while stuck up this tree, and most of the babies had fallen into the water and drowned...

Well, that's depressing.  :-\

That's incredibly macabre.

To my knowledge, aquifers that are naturally exposed to caverns don't actually produce water until the adjacent terrain changes.

Trogoldykes can and will climb across rock walls to get across lakes, but I have no idea why they stay on the tree (or, if there is no rock wall to get out, how they got there in the first place) and why the babies tumble off.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56108 on: July 18, 2021, 12:52:08 pm »

5x5 embark "GraveArmor" is in it's 9th year (year 14), and one of the three forgotten beast sheep (now with its trunk broken) is still hanging around after several years, maintaining the region's theme and killing scores of beasts & reanimated dead.

The dorfs finished a large project (60 x 110 x 10-high) cavern area channeled 10 levels down, leaving the natural pillars. It has grand, porcelain-statued balconies at 4 cave entrances with doors. Approximately 30 miners lost their lives in accidents during this endeavor. Starting to dismantle some of the 16 masons shops that made ~10,000 granite & quartzite blocks from the project. Granite being used for the aboveground construction.

We continue to refuse dozens of guild petitions, and we've only had one dorf go insane so far. We're sticking with "no bridges" for more !!FUN!!

Currently we have 229 citizens, including 10 humans:
 44 miners (living)
  6 woodcutters
 39 masons
  2 hunters
  4 fishers
 40 warriors
 10 x-bow dorfs
100 armed civilians
 - - - - -
 68 dead, including the 30 miners

The dead still rise in the south and east biomes, and goblins have sent 3 smallish sieges.

797 enemy dead so far

Here's the 3 storey walled castle and partial trap ring:

(edit: the embark is 5x5, not 7x7)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:16:53 am by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56109 on: July 18, 2021, 04:42:31 pm »

There's a group of troglodytes stuck up a fungiwood tree, which is surrounded by water...

That's incredibly macabre.

To my knowledge, aquifers that are naturally exposed to caverns don't actually produce water until the adjacent terrain changes.

Trogoldykes can and will climb across rock walls to get across lakes, but I have no idea why they stay on the tree (or, if there is no rock wall to get out, how they got there in the first place) and why the babies tumble off.

There are also giant cave spiders, there are webs here and there. Maybe they fled onto the tree while in combat, and are now stuck. Weird and yes, macabre.

The tree is also close to the edge of the map, if that would make a difference.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #56110 on: July 18, 2021, 05:48:05 pm »

I dunno spacekitty, a few years ago your perspective might have been different. The fact we could successfully retrieve the secrets of life and death and then convert out entire fortress into evil necromancers was pretty dang cool in the first place.

Yeah maybe but that was hardly an achievement in this one.

It's a thousand years old world, and necromancy is everywhere. It just came into the fortress by itself, and just building the library enabled fast replication to the whole population without having to do anything. The challenge would have been to keep it out of the stronghold in the first place.

This latest update, with its tweaks to happiness, is possibly the least everyone-slaughters-everyone-else so far. The whole stopping-performance thing does suck, but the bystander-slaughtering is more feature than bug, I’d say.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56111 on: July 20, 2021, 07:10:42 am »

"So why were you imprisoned by your own people"
One militia dwarf asked the she-dwarf they had freed

"Oh well you s-"
Transforms into were-lizard and proceeds to murder people

trickerer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56112 on: July 20, 2021, 07:52:29 am »

A new fortress. The very first mood in the fort strikes a weaponsmith and he makes this thing.

Trying to be funny or something? Oh wait, he is on friendly terms with some recent migrant who is a novice surgeon...

Well, we'll see how many notable heals it gets

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56113 on: July 20, 2021, 12:03:49 pm »

What’s a cabachon? Also what is the “funniness”? Is it because dodo it’s is the only non iron component? If that’s the reason, why is that funny?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56114 on: July 20, 2021, 12:47:52 pm »

what is the “funniness”?

It's a mace. Called "The Greatest Medicine". Suggesting that the cure for everything is to whack it.
Pages: 1 ... 3739 3740 [3741] 3742 3743 ... 3835