Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3741 3742 [3743] 3744 3745 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5774566 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56130 on: July 25, 2021, 01:23:24 pm »

Succumbed to a necro's invasion before my fort was prepared for it, guess I should've spent a bit more time investing in a militia squad and a bit less time decorating the walls and floors of my dining room.  :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56131 on: July 26, 2021, 07:00:51 am »

A visiting human musician turned into a wereantelope in the tavern. But she was non hostile, and turned back without incident.
Someone stole her clothes though.

Quite the entertainment routine!
....I love this game.

Just observing here: If human citizens of your fort are stealing human-sized clothing, you might want to buy some large-sized clothing from the human caravan when it next goes through, just to stop them having to steal the clothing of the entertainment. Unless it was an extra vigilant stockpile issue, that is.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56132 on: July 26, 2021, 10:52:04 am »

More !!!mining fun!!! lands 6 in the hospital and 2 in graves, as the 10z high cavern chamber is expanded.
The population dips slightly to 255 citizens.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56133 on: July 26, 2021, 03:21:15 pm »

Had a nice early fort going, got somewhere around 80 dwarves and then a werewolf attacked. It got a few bites in before being killed by the dwarf swarm, and I thought I quarantined everyone, but one two managed to escape notice, one being a familiar, which I didn't think could become werebeasts but apparently the syndrome granting them intelligence makes that possible. The other was trapped in a Guildhall along with six of his seven victims. The last one I released because his combat reports and injuries list showed he never got bit. This turned out to be wrong. The familiar-beasts victims got expelled, all except one, who turned out to be another one that showed never having been injured. So the two unexpelled, unquarantined victims were allowed to roam the halls for another month. Third full moon since the initial attack, someone with a crossbow shoots and kills the guy that was released from the Guildhall. The one the familiar converted went rogue in the stairwell and attracted half the fort to beat the shit out of him. I was diligent to expel every dwarf that got injured by him even before he was dead. But that doesn't matter, because as soon as he's dead everyone starts turning on each other. And I mean everyone. The three dwarves quarantined initially beat each other to death when they turned back the first time. And the dwarves quarantined in the Guildhall had also been best friends while transformed but then immediately began killing each other once they turned back. But now on month three, the whole fort goes nuts.

By the time the smoke cleared, there was one dwarf lying in a hall, one expelled dwarf running around in a room, and one room full of dead dwarves and a peon-werewolf who had also been expelled but there was nobody to let him out. I just expelled the last dwarf, game over.

Another lovely fort dead, because of werebeasts and loyalty cascades.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56134 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:47 pm »

A visiting human musician turned into a wereantelope in the tavern. But she was non hostile, and turned back without incident.
Someone stole her clothes though.
Quite the entertainment routine!
....I love this game.
Just observing here: If human citizens of your fort are stealing human-sized clothing, you might want to buy some large-sized clothing from the human caravan when it next goes through, just to stop them having to steal the clothing of the entertainment. Unless it was an extra vigilant stockpile issue, that is.

Eh, it's a drow fortress I'm running, a personal mod originally made by a friend. I think the drows and humans are close enough in size that clothing fits without issue. Not sure if the clothing was hauled away before being claimed out the stockpile, or if the articles were claimed directly. Been trying to run down the fortress supply of clothing to reduce the amount of entries in the stocks screen.
Pretty amusing though.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56135 on: July 26, 2021, 04:23:48 pm »

Asenlar (Gravelmeeting)
Established in 156 after a corrupted file perma-crashed its predecessor so a new fort went up! While examining the map I discovered this one dorf civ was at war with the humans and thought... Sure! Why not! Lets make an embark right on their friggin doorstep (Capital) and see how they like having their nemesis dwarves build a death-fort.

-First year not much happened, just quietly did construction, etc, etc...

-Year two? Goblins! Defenses not quite up yet but repel them none the less with losses.

-Middle of year two after goblins the humans finally show up, not a lot but my numbers are too low now for a direct confrontation with them, order dorfs inside. Gotta finish the last few sections of fortifications though, dorfs screw around, wont do it, no-job laziness. Those that do go up panic and run despite being safe so high up on the walls, constant cancellation notifications. And, of course! A few dwarves THROW THEMSELVES over the sides TOWARDS the humans and try to run around outside screaming. They all died. A few brave humans scaled the walls through the openings the idiot dorfs refused to seal up and the result was about 25 dead dorfs. After this massacre of the already low population the surviving dorfs listened to the "!!!Voices!!!" in their heads and finished the fortifications, ended all our troubles. Humans did not leave for a long time but they were finally just picked to death by the surviving marksdwarves.

-Life goes on, were-giraffe attacks, kills three more, life goes on.

-Dorf turdling population explodes, got 49 of them. They will not stop tantruming, one slaughtered our PRECIOUS few laying animals meaning less food, they then went and started smashing all the workshops. Soooooo many beatings have been issued, and I made the hammerer a MINER. Prison boxes are being established where dorf-turdlings will be locked up to die if they are flashing red arrows.

-Three years later the fort is up and running well, smelting full steam ahead, mass export of goods back home, so on.

-Migrants fill 50% of the losses.

-humans are back again... They brought cavalry! An entire army of HEAVY cavalry!!! Lock the doors, just ignore them for 5 months... Then they all panic and flee in all directions ending the siege because a giant Chinchilla bit a horse. Yup, a chinchilla ended the siege.

-BARELY get 3 months past that one and they invade again. They brought war dogs, horses (no riders) and a large army, I goad the horses and dogs inside the underground killy-spot but the humans themselves stay outside and will NOT come inside to play with me. Animals get inside, doors slam shut, marksdwarves 5 Z levels up aiming into the giant chasm I dug out open fire and there are no more horses or war-dogs. Gates open again, humans still wont come inside, they refuse. Fine, screw you. Keep working down below.

-Siege goes on a full year, hill giant attacks, they gun it down with bows instantly.

-Wave 2 shows up, twice the size of the first force, they brought double war-dogs and horses and the humans now outnumber my dwarven pop by 4:1. FPS is basically dead. Soldier on anyway. It starts to snow so hard the world turns white for months.

-Combined doom-army outside just camps out at the main gate, I sucker their animals inside again, shooty-time... Life goes on, dwarves getting VERY fat on horse and dog meat, lots of leather now for anything I want to do.

-Then... On the year and a half mark of their siege... A TITAN comes... Not just any titan, ohhhhh nooo!!! This is one of those ultra-rare !!!FUN!!! titans from the HFS layer. He waltzes down from the mountain and towards the absolutely MASSSIIIIVVVEEEE human war-camp. What is its name? Ithithi Iruromi. What is its specialty? FIREBALLS!!! Titan charges their camp tossing hell-bolts of explosive fire that incinerate the humans instantly while the dwarves drink ale and laugh. Bowmen desperately try to bring the titan down, the infantry charge forwards, the world is on fire now. Their camp ground is a blazing, smoke covered hellscape. ACDC "highway to hell" playing as everything just starts BURNING. Human match-stick people are running around the fields howling in agony as they burn spreading the flames, animals just go "pop" and turn to ash instantly. Arrows all just MELT as they try to hit the demon-titan. Demon-titan is now named Ithithi Iruromi Imepedema ------- and so on as the kill ticker just runs like slot ticker in Las Vegas. Fires basically consume the human army as they fight desperately on, bowmen are all but ash heaps or melted into the ground, many are running for the hills screaming in total terror as the flames either consume them outright or lick at their heels. Those brave few who fight on keep melting and are reduced to little more than "ash" or "molten metal pools" that dot the battlefield. Also it turns out the demon-titan did not just incinerate them, looking over the battlefield he was BLOWING THEM UP as well, I keep finding legs, arms, heads and necks. So basically shooting em in the head with fireballs and "kaboom," it rains body parts.

Through sheer overwhelming numbers though the humans mortally wound the demon-titan and it dies, but the fires are raging through the marsh and mountainside, the "others" tab lists a now very, very short list of humans, many of whom are flashing as they are on fire and running, Siege is broken as the titan collapses and dies. Fires roaring out of control and incinerate anything not fast enough to get away... Doors open and dwarves now going back to business. Thank you Mr. Ithithi for aiding the fort in its time of need! A statue shall be commissioned just for you and put in the dining hall.

As for the humans... I think I know why they are at war with us, we dorfs really are Satan's messengers considering what goes on at this fort.

News update: A dwarf had a mood and made a head scarf of the titan who torched the human army! He made it of Chinchilla bone....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:38:29 pm by vekar »

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56136 on: July 26, 2021, 07:38:40 pm »

Recent intelligence (Legends Viewer) indicated that the forest retreat of Webbedsatin had only three elves, making it seem like little more than a speed bump, something to keep up practice. All concerned were surprised when the Diamond Papers returned having killed 18 elves, four dwarves, three humans, and a goblin. It turned out that no fewer than seven performance troupes had decided to stop at Webbedsatin for the winter. So, long story short: we wiped out five bands. (Bizarrely enough, practically the same thing happened to the same performance troupes 36 years before at the exact same forest retreat.)

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56137 on: July 27, 2021, 06:08:12 am »

That sounds like the setup to a horror movie.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56138 on: July 27, 2021, 05:24:48 pm »

Battle of the Bands: The Hills have Dwarves II.

I've started a new fort on another volcano map with sand for glassmaking (my favorite cheap industry). This time I've made sure the fort is only accessible through a couple highly trapped corridors. I would put critters above them to spot sneaking creatures but don't have enough yet, as my starting pets were all female. Did a quick embark instead of preparing the supplies myself.

I don't have any pasture land for critters yet anyway because the map is a pretty steep sand mountain with the magma tube ending eight or so levels below the peak. Have to raise indoor animals that don't graze.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56139 on: August 01, 2021, 12:35:05 pm »

Meet Catten, the miner.  Her story is a familiar story.

A citizen of The Infinite Axe, she traveled with a group of a dozen dwarves and arrived at GraveArmor in the 19th migration wave during the year 11, when the world was still fresh and new, and many terrifying monsters roamed the world. As she appeared to be about 65 years old, she was one of the original dwarves created from the earth by Armok. 

The mayor of GraveArmor didn't think a second thought about her after she told him she felt great and was a worshipper of Ber during her brief intake screening; he didn't care that she had other needs or know of her tendency to brawl.  She had no needed skills and so was put to work as one of the nearly 50 miners creating great works in the stone bowels of the earth. 

Catten labored for 4 years in the mines and helped carve out the huge cavern that claimed so many of her fellow miners' lives. She was only injured once in a rockslide, but fully recovered physically.  However, nobody knew the mental toll that injury caused her until one day she lashed out and began punching random dwarves in the sleeping quarters.

The fortress had been free of internal strife until this day. Therefore, shortsightedly, the mayor had not appointed a captain of the guard. Upon hearing the reports of Catten's violence, a CoG was hastily appointed.  One of the 4 surviving members of the original 7 dwarves, "Sarv," who was a retired miner, took on the responsibility of bringing justice to the situation.  The charges were many: 3 counts of vandalism and 5 counts of disorderly conduct.  While questioning Catten, Sarv got to know her as she poured out her story.  She considered him to be her first close friend as he was the first one to really listen to what she had to say.  Nevertheless, he had no choice but to give her a mild beating and chain her in the first hastily made prison cell.

There she pined for release for a long 163 days, feeling shame and growing worse daily.  She began asking to see the mayor to beg for early release, but he never came to visit her.  Finally, the sentence was served and she was let loose.  Her mind was filled with shame and thoughts she could not stop dwelling on.

At last, she was able to speak to the mayor... but this was a New mayor and this New mayor didn't know her situation or care to listen.  Catten went away disappointed.  Shortly thereafter she was told to report for militia duty and stationed in what looked like a new offshoot of the great cavern project.  Hopeful to start again with a new vocation, she followed the instructions to the letter, and stripped her clothing off as she hurried to inspect the new bridge. 

As she ran, her shame increased... others she had met before turned their faces away from her... she wondered innocently if this was part of a hazing process for new militia members. At last she arrived at the privacy of the new bridge.  She began to look it over, careful not to slip off into the dark depths far below... it seemed well-enough constructed.  Then she heard a click.  It was the last sound she heard before the bridge gave way.

Sorry for the poor quality of this recording.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:36:58 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56140 on: August 01, 2021, 04:13:44 pm »

Ran into some problems with my latest fort.  The biggest problem was that the first cavern started just below the main level preventing me from digging out a reservoir.  I’m beginning to wonder if there’s some sort of connection between embarks with waterfalls and shallow caverns…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56141 on: August 02, 2021, 11:46:38 am »

Bax the goblin snatcher tried it. Again.
He was seen sneaking up to the gates, looking for a child to snatch. The dogs spotted him first.
This was the second time. Time to send the army in.
All two axemen gave chase and a few former hunters armed with bone crossbows and bolts supported the attack. Everyone managed to miss and the goblin got away.

After some unrelated events, Bax returned. This time as a tavern visitor. Didn't even try to hide his trade: goblin snatcher. Fearful of loyalty cascades I decided not to do anything. I'll get Bax next time.

So the goblin was hanging out till full moon and was having a blast with the many performers my fortress had attracted. Until full moon that was, as he transformed into a weremonitor and started to bite dwarves and visitors, while also breaking many bones with powerful kicks.

Some 3 or 4 dwarves bitten. They will be sealed up. The visitors are harder to control. I might have to set up some unfortunate accidents. About 12 wounded. Such a mess. I should have killed him the first time. Or when he tried again. Or when he came to visit the tavern. Or... :-[

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56142 on: August 02, 2021, 01:47:59 pm »

Somehow, 47.05 is actually running. I've had problems with crashing on start, but it hasn't done that for the past few days. Found an excellent start: a large mountain surrounded by forests with lots of iron, coal, tetrahedrite, with the promise of flux below. A High Master Weaponsmith came with the second migrant wave. Only really negative thing happening is the Woodcutter getting his right arm mangled by a falling tree. Towards the end of the start year, I dug a tunnel a ways from the main entrance, breaching the first cavern layer, finding a lot of nice things including a few z-levels of marble and a magma pool.

Last thing I saw before saving and closing was a wild boar with a name. I didn't know that could happen to random wild animals.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #56143 on: August 02, 2021, 07:22:02 pm »

EDIT: heres this post as an imgur album since the formatting seems to be messed up a bit (at least on my end) https://imgur.com/a/JxaVeK1

So some monkeys walked past the entrance to my fort at the same time a resident necromancer walked by.

naturally her response was to raise the nearby tundra titan skeleton which promptly attacked her and everything else

resulting in a very rapidly forming fun situation

and because why not a loyalty cascade is now in progress

and for the final update the infighting seems to have stopped and now several dwarves including the necromancer are dead. probably not the best use of the secrets of life and death if it instantly kills you...

but don't worry there's still plenty of potential fun as i still have another necromancer (who was her husband too)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:14:04 am by DogsRNice »
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56144 on: August 03, 2021, 04:25:51 am »

Figured out how that wild boar got a name: someone's dog tried to bite her and she kicked them in the head, snapping the dog's neck and killing them almost instantly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3741 3742 [3743] 3744 3745 ... 3835