Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3743 3744 [3745] 3746 3747 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787953 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56160 on: August 10, 2021, 05:24:41 pm »

an artifact alpaca wool thong named... Shameappear.

That is a hilarious and awesome name for such an artifact !

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56161 on: August 10, 2021, 09:48:53 pm »

I thought things continually spawned, or is that only in Adventure mode?
Every biome has a list of animals and their populations. "Random" spawns are taken from the list of animals with populations. So if you kill all the deer in the Biome  they become locally extinct.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56162 on: August 11, 2021, 02:32:15 am »

Vesselhole just fell after a dwarf failed a mood, went berserk, and started a loyalty cascade.

At least it lasted longer than the one before it where the dwarves started digging the entrance and immediately hit the first cavern…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56163 on: August 11, 2021, 03:23:37 am »

At least it lasted longer than the one before it where the dwarves started digging the entrance and immediately hit the first cavern…

Been there, done that, had to dig more rocks for building workshops, and then slowly accreted by troll and crundle attacks while we tried to wall a small section of our caverns in so we could live in it. It was interesting, but confirmed to me that dorfs aren't cavern dwellers, they need to dig their own dwellings.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56164 on: August 12, 2021, 02:55:28 am »

After repelling undead agents for few more years I again had to get proactive against all those necromancers scheming to steal Shameappear the alpaca wool thong from my fortress. Several destroyed towers later the stream of necromantic infiltrators finally stopped... only to be replaced by regular living agents. Apparently these were sent by various foreign holy men and church officials who are also now eyeing the same damn thong.

Stop it, you pervs. You can't have the thong, so stop lusting after it. Besides, I think one of the masons is currently wearing it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

DiscoUrist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56165 on: August 12, 2021, 10:01:16 am »

A former adventuring companion showed up at my fort, still coated in something called "filthy slush." I was forced to retire my adventuring group due to this crap, which causes permanent nausea/constant vomiting.

From what I can tell he pet someones dog, transferring the slush disease, and the contagion spread from there.

Got my dwarves sorted into plague/healthy burrows, trying to figure out what areas of my fort are contaminated. Trying to decide what to do with the infected, even if I can flush the crap off they'll always be sick and I'd like to have at least one fortress that isn't constantly drowning in vomit.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56166 on: August 12, 2021, 04:25:17 pm »

CRIME !

Someone stole an artifact turban that was on display in the craftsdrows guildhall !

Fortunately, 4 citizens witnessed it, and the guilty party was apprehended and sentenced to 224 days in chains. That'll teach them !

A short time later, an artifact figurine was stolen ! I saw it being passed off to a visiting dwarf necromancer. Interrogated them... there's a conspiracy !

Now I have 12 conspirators chained up, with possibly more to come !

Might need to build more chains at this rate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 05:30:34 pm by Kat »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56167 on: August 12, 2021, 08:33:12 pm »

I discovered encrusting the chains with gemstones, and plating them with precious metals, does massive things for the cheerfulness of dorfs paying for their crimes, making them more capable of going on with their life after they finally get released. Rehabilitation works!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56168 on: August 13, 2021, 02:22:29 am »

I discovered encrusting the chains with gemstones, and plating them with precious metals, does massive things for the cheerfulness of dorfs paying for their crimes, making them more capable of going on with their life after they finally get released. Rehabilitation works!

Urist McLawbreaker: "Aye, 'tis a prison, but look at the craftsdwarfship!"

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56169 on: August 13, 2021, 10:17:02 am »

PRISON RIOT !

one of the goblin dancer visitors who I discovered was part of a conspiracy to steal one of our drows artifacts, has started a prison riot by throwing a goblin tallow roast at one of the other prisoners.
Who has responded by clubbing them with a 132page cassiterite codex they happened to be holding.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56170 on: August 13, 2021, 02:25:56 pm »

Of the 30 persons convicted in the conspiracy, 7 died in the prison riot. Only one was a citizen of the fortress.
26 foreigners and 4 citizens were found guilty of the conspiracy. One of the conspirators has been sentenced to a total of 15 years imprisonment, for multiple offences, including multiple instances of disorderly conduct from attacking other prisoners, and citizens restocking the prison's stockpiles of food and drink, as well as for the three pages of crimes that they confessed to committing several centuries before the fortress was founded.

Justice shall prevail.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56171 on: August 13, 2021, 04:25:57 pm »

Of the 30 persons convicted in the conspiracy, 7 died in the prison riot. Only one was a citizen of the fortress.
26 foreigners and 4 citizens were found guilty of the conspiracy. One of the conspirators has been sentenced to a total of 15 years imprisonment, for multiple offences, including multiple instances of disorderly conduct from attacking other prisoners, and citizens restocking the prison's stockpiles of food and drink, as well as for the three pages of crimes that they confessed to committing several centuries before the fortress was founded.

Justice shall prevail.
You can edit your post using the button below it rather than making multiple posts in a row.

I've never heard of such a large conspiracy. Very interesting. Your captain of the guard must be pretty good at sniffing out villains.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56172 on: August 13, 2021, 09:07:55 pm »

I like your idea of having chains near each other so prisoners can interact (fight) while chained.  I should try that, it sounds !!fun!!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56173 on: August 14, 2021, 02:54:17 pm »

I like your idea of having chains near each other so prisoners can interact (fight) while chained.  I should try that, it sounds !!fun!!

!!fun!! indeed...
Initially, I had chains that were between alternating stockpiles of meals and drinks. like
| x | x | x |
|   |   |   |
| x | x | x |
where x is the chain and | is a stockpile

When I saw that there were a lot of visitors that were guilty, I filled in the spaces in between the chains...
| x | x | x |
| x | x | x |
| x | x | x |

which meant that prisoners had several other prisoners to talk to but then...

Something Bad Happened
I'm not exactly sure what... I got a notification that an artifact had been stolen, an artifact wooden crossbow, and I saw it being handed to a thief in the prison, whose sentence was about to expire... and then... another prisoner went berserk. And something happened...
Within hours, 295 citizens, 99 animals, 10 visitors, 20 imprisoned criminal visitors, 12 visiting elf merchants, were all dead, many of whom had neck wounds, several decapitations.

The only living things left, were a citizen who was in a traction bench in the hospital, and a heavily scarred giant sponge in the river, which my huntsdrows had occasionally shot at.

???
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 02:55:52 pm by Kat »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56174 on: August 15, 2021, 09:36:01 am »

Today I did some modding to my game.  Found a mod that added prehistoric creatures.  But also made sure both genders among my Dwarves wore beards AND decided to make a new 'caste' - a non-gender Dwarf. 

I have a book, called Toolmaker Koan by John McLoughlin, in which a alien race has a third gender called drones - who are non-gender beings.  They spend all their free time and energy working as engineers and scientists.  I figured that making non-gender Dwarves would, at least, be interesting.  And produce less freeloading children.

So I made a world and went into Legends and it worked.  Betas, which was what I called them, were in the histories.  And I noticed that many Dwarf Civilizations were thriving.  So it had not hurt them at all.  But also I noticed this....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not only did I find this a great example of how complex this game is.  But it brought up a question - if all my Dwarves look alike how do the artists who create the images and statues make it easy to tell genders?  I can only assume that the Gods, Goddesses, and Deities are in the nude in religious artwork.   :o

I can't wait to play this world!!!!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 3743 3744 [3745] 3746 3747 ... 3835