Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3747 3748 [3749] 3750 3751 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787912 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56220 on: September 03, 2021, 08:35:42 am »

Diplomat came, visited the overseer to make trade agreements...

midway through the agreement, there was an election, and the overseer was replaced.

So the diplomat left unhappy.

argh.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56221 on: September 03, 2021, 12:24:03 pm »

why are buzzards so aggressive ?

A caravan decided not to trade, and left because of the number of buzzards who were attacking some nearby livestock.

Have a squad of marksmen chasing after buzzards any time they appear, because hunters don't seem to bother with them, possibly because buzzards are too small to butcher.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56222 on: September 03, 2021, 09:20:17 pm »

Elven diplomat came in... carrying an artifact yak bone bed in one hand and an artifact serrated bronze disc in other. Did she really carry all that across the wasteland?

One thing about long worldgens is that artifacts are everywhere.
Ha ha! I would check if these artifacts have a list of kills. It might be that the elf practices the more violent type of diplomacy.

why are buzzards so aggressive ?

A caravan decided not to trade, and left because of the number of buzzards who were attacking some nearby livestock.

Have a squad of marksmen chasing after buzzards any time they appear, because hunters don't seem to bother with them, possibly because buzzards are too small to butcher.
Buzzards appear aggressive but really it is because your food stuff is located near your dwarfs; the buzzards want to steal the food and come in close (and importantly, they move to the ground-level to steal, where your dwarfs and pets can path to it), then a conflict starts with a dwarf or a pet, then all the other nearby buzzards, dwarfs, and pets get involved in the conflict and then frightened buzzards go into the air and are non-pathable. It all becomes more complicated when some of your herbalists are frightened into dropping stuff the buzzards like.

The hunters will not hunt them because hunters need a walkable-path to begin their hunt. You could find the place where most of the buzzard fights happen and make a tower with a top floor that is about 10z from the hard sky, then give orders to a marksdwarf squad to keep 3 dwarfs stationed on top of the tower, and they will start shooting as soon at the buzzards are in range. When the vultures arrive, stationing the marksdwarf squad near the location also works, but might not work well if the dwarfs are 20z below the vultures.

You could offer bribes to the vultures by placing a small non-barrelled stockpile for fruit/leaves that is far from your fort, then forbid the food and set the stockpile to accept-from-links-only (using cage traps around the bait is another option, in case you want vulture eggs and meat).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:52:09 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56223 on: September 05, 2021, 09:11:16 am »

Werestrippers again in the tavern.

Visiting bards & musicians, who throw off their clothes when they transform into a werebeast.

Not encountered a male werestripper yet though.  ???

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 11:00:00 am by Kat »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56224 on: September 06, 2021, 05:52:28 am »

Werestrippers again in the tavern.

Visiting bards & musicians, who throw off their clothes when they transform into a werebeast.

Not encountered a male werestripper yet though.  ???

"Do you ever get the feeling that these people don't appreciate our show?"
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56225 on: September 06, 2021, 03:09:29 pm »

Werestrippers again in the tavern. Visiting bards & musicians, who throw off their clothes when they transform into a werebeast. Not encountered a male werestripper yet though.  ???
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Do you ever get the feeling that these people don't appreciate our show?"
"Nah, they're yelling, screaming, throwing expensive things at us, and running in circles with their hands in the air. They're enjoying the performance! Now if they'd just stop stealing our clothes...."
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56226 on: September 06, 2021, 04:03:44 pm »

The king of my dwarven civilisation has earned my full respect today.

The forgotten beast Bora Fishsoak had appeared out of nowhere in the first cavern, and of all the people that could be nearby, the queen consort was the unlucky one. She, and the youngest of the two royal princes stood no chance against the flying, web spitting monstrosity that was made of pure gemstone. (cat's eye)

The military rushed to the top of the stairs, the best place to ambush a web spitter, but there were many people still in the stairwell that stood no chance against the beast. Terrible screams echoed from the depths, and even the most battle-hardened of the small military quivered in fear. But then suddenly all was quiet. 

It turns out that the King himself, after hearing of the death of the Queen and his youngest son, had taken matters in his own hands. He actually only had a ceremonial function in the military (a squad with just him and the queen so I could order the royal family around, and I had given no orders), and he  had no fighting experience. Armed with just a ceremonial obsidian sword, without armor, he had stormed down the stairs and confronted the beast, and killed it after a long, hard fight.

The king's bio is great;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is the  "I can not just stand by. I will take revenge!"
But it also shows what an absolutely amazing one of a kind monarch he is.
He was somehow generated with no material or other preferences at all (don't ask me how, he is the only dwarf in my fortress that is like this) so he has not made a single mandate during his reign.
There is also the "finds the acquisition and use of power abhorrent and would have all masters toppled" which shows that he is there for his people, and not for himself, and he seems like a likeable character (for a noble)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 04:19:20 pm by Bralbaard »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56227 on: September 06, 2021, 06:14:37 pm »

Sometimes the game spits out characters and narratives like that, and that's why Dwarf Fortress is special.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56228 on: September 07, 2021, 01:56:54 pm »

As the fort's first well was finally beginning to fill, someone's pet puppy fell in and died, contaminating it.  Since it's a very slow fill from a light aquifer, the corpse was able to be removed, but the blood is going to be left in there.  I think it's deep enough to avoid contamination once it fills more.  Time will tell there.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56229 on: September 07, 2021, 05:35:15 pm »

I've got three dead dwarves, numerous clothes in various states of repair, a wooden artifact, a bucket of lye, some rotten food and a dead turkey down there, but they're all at the bottom of the cistern, and the well bucket seems to dip the top, so we're all good, the water has continued to be um... "clean". You'll be fine!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56230 on: September 08, 2021, 03:00:40 pm »

Good thing all water pollution is limited to a 7xcube IRL too, or we'd be in trouble ha ha
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56231 on: September 09, 2021, 01:59:52 pm »

A sage visited the library, and wrote...

"The Wizard's Guide To Toxic Substances"

Neat.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56232 on: September 10, 2021, 10:03:12 am »

So a few years ago a werelizard attacked the fortress and there was no way to have everybody retreat in time. I was afraid it would turn into a bloodbath, but one of dwarves confronted the werelizard, and against all expectations killed the foul creature.
However she reported to hospital with a minor injury after battle. She was was ordered to isolate, but on the way to her room she was taken by a mood, claimed the forge and created an artifact bronze pick. Right after finishing the item she turned into a werelizard, confirming our worst fears. Luckily we had walled of the forge while she was working.   
After she turned back to her normal shape we saw no other option than to expel her from the fortress, but she was allowed to keep her artifact weapon and other equipment.

That was years ago.  Fast forward to now, when the caravan showed up with a new outpost liaison. Guess who?

Yes.
It is a good thing I was watching the announcements closely. I'm going to try to negotiate with the liaison without getting eaten. Wish me luck.

Edit: Well that turned out to be interesting. The caravan appeared a day before the full moon. The liaison used that first day (still in her normal form) to bypass all my traps, guard dogs and other precautions. She then turned into a werelizard and sprinted into the fortress with no time for me to pull any levers. I had ordered all my dwarves to fall back deeper into the fortress and all obeyed, except for the king, who had ran out to the trade depot despite the state of alert.
This was not the first time he disobeyed my orders to try to save the day, and I have to admit that he again managed to defeat both my expectations, and his foe.  This time though there will be complications, for the king has a couple of nasty bitewounds in his face.

All hail the wereking, I guess. His royal quarters should be luxurious enough for him to spend the rest of his days there.
edit 2: He was not infected, somehow.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 04:43:06 pm by Bralbaard »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56233 on: September 12, 2021, 12:41:21 am »

Are you sure they were bite wounds, and not "beaten with a leather gauntlet" wounds? Because if he is not infected...is it because he is undead?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56234 on: September 12, 2021, 01:12:58 am »

He was bitten in the head but that only caused a bruise in the initial attack. Then he was shaken around by the head for several rounds, causing quite a lot of tearing damage and cuts, the blood was everywhere. Apparently that does not cause infections though.
Pages: 1 ... 3747 3748 [3749] 3750 3751 ... 3835