Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3748 3749 [3750] 3751 3752 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787550 times)

toty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56235 on: September 12, 2021, 06:02:23 am »

The dwarves of Amostavuz "Townmine" finished the entrance to their underground fortress: a solemn purple building made entirely of rutile, featuring fortifications, four towers and a ample square for the kids to play. Another great day for the history of dwarven architecture

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

velanos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56236 on: September 13, 2021, 01:58:49 pm »

I just started my first fort still reading the quickstart guide. The first migrant I get is a legendary gem cutter. Nice!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56237 on: September 13, 2021, 07:37:17 pm »

I just started my first fort still reading the quickstart guide. The first migrant I get is a legendary gem cutter. Nice!

Welcome to DF. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56238 on: September 14, 2021, 11:11:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The picture says what's been going on... Profane !!!FUN!!!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56239 on: September 14, 2021, 12:04:23 pm »

He was bitten in the head but that only caused a bruise in the initial attack. Then he was shaken around by the head for several rounds, causing quite a lot of tearing damage and cuts, the blood was everywhere. Apparently that does not cause infections though.
From what I've seen, creatures with a [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION] linked to a bite attack seem to have the interaction occur only on the bite attack itself, with shaking attacks being treated as a wrestling move rather than a bite attack (according to adv mode, if someone's attempting to shake a unit around after a bite it's listed as 'attacking X with wrestling').
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56240 on: September 15, 2021, 08:11:18 pm »

We got attacked by a Necromancer Wereantelope.

He ran about biting and killing citizens and their livestock, as werebeasts do. Then he changed into a necromancer human, raised a citizen he had just killed moments before, and was killed immediately by the newly made Werebeast Faint One. This Werebeast Faint One then went around madly killing citizens, until the surprisingly brave Manager walked up to him and took him to the hospital. Immediately after being placed in the hospital for bed rest, he jumped out of bed and chased the Medic around the room three times, then out into the hall, and into the recently made Mayorial Suite. I locked all the doors, and the Faint One killed the Mayor in her bed. The Medical Dorf walled him into the bedroom, and the Faint One stopped moving, finally.

Aftermath: We are making a new Mayorial Bedroom for the new Mayor. There is muffled wailing from behind the new rough wall in the Mayorial Study, and the old hospital has also been walled in as it might be full of werebeasts-to-be, but we are telling the new Mayor not to ask any questions. About half the fort are dead and dying, and the Manager has ordered a lot more coffins and slabs to be made.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56241 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:04 pm »

Werebeast disasters have ended more than one of my forts. My custom werewolf for spellcrafts somehow ends up spreading the curse even to people that didn't get bit according to combat logs. And I have no idea how. I've just about gone to the vampire method of only spreading if you drink their blood. But that's not nearly as fun.

My experiments with love making appear to have born fruit. Weird fruit, sure, but fruit nonetheless.

So, lovers barb is a plant in Spellcrafts that increases personality facets like gregariousness, tolerance, love propensity and lust propensity, and reduces hate propensity. It turns out, this does indeed increase the chances of forming relationships, with, in my last test, the starting seven of two of the three females and all four males ending up in relationships. Both women were in romantic relationships with one another, and each of them was in romantic relationships with each of the four men. Each of them married one of the men, I'm not sure if the other guys are getting cut out or how the game handles that. A couple of the men had relationships with one another too. The seventh dwarf, the remaining woman, was kindred spirits and friends with every other dwarf, but formed no romantic relationships. Asexual/aromantic presumably.

Of all the migrants that moved in, they all very quickly formed friendships but most of them were already married, and after about six months or so none had formed new romantic relationships. So it looks as though dwarves once married will not pursue other potential romances, but before marriage can form at least up to four concurrent romantic relationships. Lovers acquired before marriage are still listed as lovers, not sure if they'll continue to socialize and treat one another as lovers, though.

The lovers barb plant and alcohol syndromes are definitely turning up the heat though. Typically of the starting seven you'd see maybe two or three relationships, not a six dwarf series of love quadrangles.

Obviously the question is, can we go deeper?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56242 on: September 15, 2021, 11:24:49 pm »

This is super cool. Very clever way to encourage relationships.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #56243 on: September 16, 2021, 12:08:51 am »

I had almost finished construction of my archer tower, had a single combat ready melee squad, five marksdwarves crosstrained into a few levels of hammer, and two squads of melee/ranged sparring together when a siege came...
I hastily made a patrol atop the nearly finished archery tower (only a single wall and stair needed to be made) but didn't assign the points.
The result is over a hundred dead (~180 pop down to a meager 59, 34 of which are children). I'm pretty sure there might have been an accidental loyalty cascade in the mix and now all this cleanup will heavily delay work on the magma pumpstack which will bring magma just below my crafting floor for magma forges that don't require 100+ z levels of walking.
I'm so glad that I built a lot of cage traps on the surface because I'm not sure how well this fort could have held if there were that many more.

Ooh! Twenty migrants. That nearly DOUBLES my working population..

Just had another siege show up the following month and then immediately leave...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:53:02 am by Metruption »

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56244 on: September 16, 2021, 11:12:15 am »

A kobold thief nearly got away. Then a cavy pup sprinted at him and started to kick, bite and scratch. The fight lasted long enough for an archer to catch up and finish the fight with a single shot. I always thought cavy pets were almost useless...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56245 on: September 17, 2021, 04:49:11 am »

I would like to praise the author of the book "burning and more" that I just bought for choosing a fitting piece of cover art for his work:

I imagine some scientist was taking notes for this book during the rampage, while all the other dwarves were running around on fire.

"ah, yes.. that is interesting.."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 04:56:51 am by Bralbaard »

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56246 on: September 17, 2021, 07:44:37 pm »

I am very new to DF. Last two days I finally was able to build a first fortress with different levels and rooms and have food production somewhat under control.
One of my dwarves declared himself king of the entire region and became very demanding during the first summer. I installed a throne room and for some bizarre reason, plump helmet spawn
keeps being found on top of the throne by my farmer dwarf. I actually see him calmly remove the spawn and take it to the field. No clue what that is about.
I had two horses and they constantly would hang out in the dining room and drink my dwarves' wine and rum. Do tame horses which are free to roam need to be watered? I assume they didn't know where to go drink, despite a larger creek being nearby our fort. I created an animal stockpile, they wouldn't leave the dining room. Eventually I had to mark them for slaughter and a dwarf took them away. I got a bunch of horse meat, bone and hair.

I built my first temple to the "Coven of Hell" and my dwarves seem to spend hours there all day.

Uli

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #56247 on: September 17, 2021, 09:01:59 pm »

Your king likes to eat plump helmets while sitting on his throne, and spawn is left from the meal. As for the horses, you need to assign a pasture zone over some actual pasture or they will eventually starve. If unassigned to pastures they tend to hang around meeting zones, otherwise the initial wagon site. They don't need to be watered.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pasture
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Grazer

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56248 on: September 18, 2021, 01:00:18 am »

In my current fort, I have a moat and a walled in area. my moat is three urists across, and three urists deep at it's deepest part.

Right now I'm still in the process of setting the fort up, but I plan to make a huge tower that will conjure a magma biome all around it.

But that's far in the future for now.

Currently it seems that Moss spreding isn't working for some reason, but whatever, my animals and hives are safe in my walled in area.

Maybe it's just me, but dwarves seem to spend too much time hanging out in temples.

I have one for each of my gods, and it seems that half my fort do nothing but idle in them.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56249 on: September 18, 2021, 01:49:44 am »

Maybe it's just me, but dwarves seem to spend too much time hanging out in temples.

I have one for each of my gods, and it seems that half my fort do nothing but idle in them.

There is (or at least was in the previous release 0.47.04) an issue where polytheists would decide to go pray because they haven't prayed to deity B in a long time, but then end up at a temple to deity A and pray to that one instead, leaving the need eternally unfulfilled.  (Bugtracker: 10546, 10918)

You should be able to determine if this is the case by simply following one of the troublesome worshippers and checking their needs.  The usual solution is to only have temples to no particular deity, but if you want to keep the existing temples, you can probably use burrows to prevent the problematic dwarves from going there.
Pages: 1 ... 3748 3749 [3750] 3751 3752 ... 3835