Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787419 times)

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56250 on: September 18, 2021, 01:55:39 am »

Ah, thanks for the advice.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56251 on: September 18, 2021, 12:54:56 pm »

My current fort has acquired quite the unique labyrinth of staircases from all my attempts to mine downward in a way that circumvents the aquifer my miners have struck (the embark screen lied to me!). I'm picturing archaeologists uncovering the remains of my fort centuries from now and speculating that it was some kind of failed first attempt at a minotaur civ.

EDIT: Finally managed to dig around it. Might convert the remaining staircases that go nowhere into some kind of elaborate trap hall.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:05:06 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56252 on: September 18, 2021, 04:05:05 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but dwarves seem to spend too much time hanging out in temples.

I have one for each of my gods, and it seems that half my fort do nothing but idle in them.

I have the same thing. A dwarf asked if she could start a coven, I figured it might be nice to build a temple and dwarves seem to love being there...constantly...They named it the Coven of Hell (not I) and dwarves most often meditate on either murder or death, this worries me a bit...I thought dwarves were more jolly. I have 2 human bards and a human scholar hanging out there for days now. I assume though that time spent in the temple makes them happy and is not a total waste. Maybe the excitement of the new temple will fade and some work will get done again. Today they shifted their attention to the tavern a bit, and I just observed some sort of line dance take place which was pretty awesome. Clicking on the dwarf I was treated to a brief 3 pages describing the fictional dance.

I had a pack of langurs steal my whole first batch of stone beer mugs this morning and an elf at my trade depot pretty much just told me my wares are 100% junk and to not waste his time.

haha good times

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56253 on: September 18, 2021, 04:08:47 pm »

Your king likes to eat plump helmets while sitting on his throne, and spawn is left from the meal. As for the horses, you need to assign a pasture zone over some actual pasture or they will eventually starve. If unassigned to pastures they tend to hang around meeting zones, otherwise the initial wagon site. They don't need to be watered.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pasture
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Grazer

Thank you for the advice, I am trying it today and see if I can get a couple animals going, maybe get milk production.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56254 on: September 22, 2021, 03:39:17 pm »

I posted a while ago about how my previous fortress liaison turned out to be a werecreature. She nearly succeeded at murdering the king, or at least infecting him, but the crisis was averted.

After that we got a new liaison, Bėmbul Ashencopper. He seemed innocent enough at first, and there were no issues in the first years. Three years later though, the fortress of Tubeworks was devastated by a terrible loyalty cascade. Guess who started it? Yes, the new liaison. I'm completely unsure why. He was free to go where ever he pleased (the city gates were open), and during the last trading session we had given the caravan piles and piles of free goods. The first combat report was him picking a fight with a guard dog, and it all spiraled out of control from there. 17 dwarves died, about a third of the population is gone. The dog from that fight (who ended up killing the liaison) is locked up somewhere out of an abundance of caution, but he does not appear aggressive to anyone else.

After two attacks by so called "fortress liaisons" I've decided I've had enough. We've broken of all contact with the dwarven empire.

(I've edited the raws so that the caravan will no longer show up, that means we'll have no migrants either.)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56255 on: September 22, 2021, 04:39:31 pm »

You mean the realm has rebelled against its rightful ruler. I would send raids to civs on the opposite side of the empire to provoke them into destroying it, then reconquer them from the forts descendents.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56256 on: September 22, 2021, 04:51:20 pm »

Crazy thing is that there is actually no dwarven empire outside of my fortress. I started with a civilisation that should have been dead, but for some reason migrants and caravans have always shown up as if nothing was wrong.
There were no dwarven sites in the world at all at the end of worldgen, and I think the only historical dwarf was a single dwarven necromancer. (there were a few dozen non-historical dwarves besides that).

That dwarven necromancer,  Urvad Roadcrypt, was the original king of the dwarven empire. He betrayed the dwarves in the year 86 and has lived in exile in a tower ever since. After his exile the dwarven empire was destroyed completely, now over three centuries ago. 
In my head he is behind these corrupted liaisons, but I'm actually not sure what he's been up to. His tower is only a few urists away, but I've had no undead sieges at all since the fortress was founded. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:53:25 pm by Bralbaard »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #56257 on: September 23, 2021, 11:32:11 pm »

A web slinging forgotten beast showed up. I think I want to try trapping it in a 1x1 spot and give it a target to spit webs at through fortifications to get webs on some of my cage traps so that future forgotten beasts and gremlins can be caputured. Will it destroy pressure plates?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56258 on: September 24, 2021, 04:32:46 am »

My first artefact in current fort was made by a legendary armorsmith (who came with the first wave of migrants). Sure, he gained additional five levels of legendary, but there are other armorers, who would be happy to get that experience boost instead.

A web slinging forgotten beast showed up. [...] Will it destroy pressure plates?

I've never seen an FB destroying a pressure plate. It won't trigger the pressure plate, though.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56259 on: September 25, 2021, 03:15:04 am »

My first artefact in current fort was made by a legendary armorsmith (who came with the first wave of migrants). Sure, he gained additional five levels of legendary, but there are other armorers, who would be happy to get that experience boost instead.
But did he make something cool?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56260 on: September 25, 2021, 09:56:36 am »

The Dark Goblin Pits of Sockettick whose civilization is "The Exalted Hatred" just economically linked itself to my fort.  I suppose they admire our fledgling weapons industry?  Looking around the civilization screen, I just noticed Dark Elven Pits for the first time.  "The Twig of Cities" just isn't quite as menacing a name though.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56261 on: September 25, 2021, 12:57:41 pm »

I have temples, a library and a tavern and I always get visitors but nobody petitions for residency.  Anyone know why?  Been like this for years.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56262 on: September 25, 2021, 07:38:21 pm »

Are you at pop cap? The soft population cap applies to visitors, but won't apply to new babies (and I think the king/queen's consorts).

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56263 on: September 25, 2021, 07:54:16 pm »

No I'm about 18 under it, and I already have several visitors.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56264 on: September 26, 2021, 01:43:39 am »

Are all the visitors criminals and undead?
Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 3835