Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3750 3751 [3752] 3753 3754 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787937 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56265 on: September 26, 2021, 02:53:17 am »

Seems unlikely - it may be worth putting a bug in on the mantis bugtracker. If visitors are visiting, they should be trying to join occasionally, especially if this has gone on for a few years.

Have you had return visitors, that you've noticed?

Edit: I found this bug. Have you met with the outpost liaison already?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:02:47 am by delphonso »

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56266 on: September 26, 2021, 12:11:25 pm »

I caught a breeding pair of giant grizzly bears and they have successfully bred! In a few years I'm going to be leading out an army of 50 hippo-sized grizzly bears to wipe out the necromancers. Plus, they are adorable in GemSet:

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56267 on: September 26, 2021, 07:28:24 pm »

Seems unlikely - it may be worth putting a bug in on the mantis bugtracker. If visitors are visiting, they should be trying to join occasionally, especially if this has gone on for a few years.

Have you had return visitors, that you've noticed?

Edit: I found this bug. Have you met with the outpost liaison already?

Yes, long time ago.  The outpost liaison immigrated too.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56268 on: September 26, 2021, 07:31:58 pm »

Yes, long time ago.  The outpost liaison immigrated too.

I'd recommend reporting it, then. It's hard to show a negative result - but if it's been years and you've met the requirements, it seems odd that it hasn't happened yet.

Plus, they are adorable in GemSet:

They really are - probably not for the necromancers, though  ;)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56269 on: September 26, 2021, 07:53:57 pm »

Are all the visitors criminals and undead?

Some are undead but not all.  I get regular elf scholars, elf poets, human mercenaries.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56270 on: September 28, 2021, 10:20:54 am »

My first artefact in current fort was made by a legendary armorsmith (who came with the first wave of migrants). Sure, he gained additional five levels of legendary, but there are other armorers, who would be happy to get that experience boost instead.
But did he make something cool?

Steel greaves, which I think is the most expensive type of armor (along with leggings). Could be worse (like a left gauntlet or something similarly useless). As an addendum, my second mood also happened to a legendary dwarf (bone crafter), who made a chain, out of a shell. Greaves are better. Now I have two legendary 20 LEV dwarves, but feel that moods are wasted even more.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56271 on: September 30, 2021, 04:39:17 am »

Made a fort for the first time in a while. I'm building a massive above-ground castle where I can have marksdwarves shoot from, but it's taking a while due to the sheer amount of blocks I need.

I got attacked by a Giantess and the last few dwarves to get in were slow enough that the bridge closed just after the Giantess got in. It killed a lot of my dogs and both my bears, a dwarf and crippled another; yet it still got killed despite my complete lack of a military at that point. So I consider that a success.

I've dug quite deep and I am yet to find a cavern, which is somewhat annoying when I want to capture underground beasties. On the other hand, what I have found is that my embark site seems to have an absolutely massive amount of Silver, and a decent amount of Gold.

Like; there's 6~7 Z-levels just full of silver. I've never really done much with non-military metals; so I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with all this silver.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56272 on: September 30, 2021, 05:03:42 am »

Like; there's 6~7 Z-levels just full of silver. I've never really done much with non-military metals; so I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with all this silver.
Have you considered building part of your castle out of it?  I would at least make doors, hatches, statues, furniture, etc... but maybe you have enough for a whole tower?
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56273 on: September 30, 2021, 05:19:52 am »

Have you considered building part of your castle out of it?  I would at least make doors, hatches, statues, furniture, etc... but maybe you have enough for a whole tower?

I could definitely build a silver tower. I'd rather just get the main fortification done first however so standard blocks will do for that. I can always upgrade as I go. My metal industry isn't really strong right now; with no caverns yet I'm limited on wood, let alone magma forges.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56274 on: September 30, 2021, 01:13:50 pm »

A third mood in my fort, and a third legendary dwarf gets it. This time a Weaver got upgraded to Level 27, as if it would make any difference. The game seriously wants to annoy me. Hope it's only bad luck, not a new "feature" (this is my first fort in v.0.47.05).

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56275 on: September 30, 2021, 06:02:46 pm »

I got a very similar situation. A fort in a Good tropical forest, with unicorns and regular visits from the elves.. and 5 z levels filled with two types of iron ores and flux stone, just below the surface. War with the elves seems inevitable, because I decided it will all be turned to steel in coal-powered ovens, so I can get rid of annoying trees while at it.

But now to decide.. what to make from all of that steel?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56276 on: September 30, 2021, 06:20:46 pm »

Silver; spiked balls for weapon traps. Doesn't have to be the best material, you've got it in abundance. And a few statues.

Steel: military equipment, weapons and armor. Forcibly import the elves animals for war beasts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56277 on: September 30, 2021, 07:21:21 pm »

The able-bodied of the 283 dwarves of Gravearmor are spending lots of time emptying quartzite & granite blocks down the disposal chute without throwing the bins in. The dummies will learn not to stockpile 20,000 blocks for which they have no use!  (FPS had dropped to 10 and is inching back up now.)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56278 on: October 01, 2021, 01:55:40 am »

Steel: military equipment, weapons and armor. Forcibly import the elves animals for war beasts.
I will have a lot of steel left after making weapons and armor for everybody. But you gave me an idea. Mazes full of weapon traps, using a masterwork steel mechanism and ten masterwork steel large serrated disks each, cutting elves, goblins and wildlife to pieces. Not terribly original, but satisfying.

Btw your quote is the most accurate description of the daily life of a programmer working on legacy code I've seen.  :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:58:25 am by Quarque »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56279 on: October 02, 2021, 01:04:09 pm »

I was inspired by the latest DF update video to change my workshop layout around.  I like the efficiency of a single tile hallway with workshops all along it.  And as more are needed, I just extend it out.  Also, I'm working on better stockpile organization with quantum stockpiles to condense things like gems and ammo without using bins.  I tend to abandon most forts a couple years in out of boredom, and I suppose to some extent FPS drop, but this time I made a small 65x65 world, so I'm hoping it will stay snappy and I'll stick with it for some time.  Rather than let mined out stone accumulate into the 1000s as usual, I'm going to instead use all the excess to train up the jewelers.  I made some adjustments to the raws for this world such that the dwarves can craft just about every type of weapon and clothing, but otherwise nothing unusual with this embark.  High quality bronze scimitars for everyone!

I'm also trying out making a dedicated hauler.  With the QSPs, they should keep fairly busy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:43:59 pm by Schmaven »
Pages: 1 ... 3750 3751 [3752] 3753 3754 ... 3835