Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3751 3752 [3753] 3754 3755 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789664 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56280 on: October 02, 2021, 04:51:17 pm »

The Good: 40 meleedwarves and 10 supporting rangerdwarves fought off a 250+ gobbo siege in 1 FPS carnage.

The Bad: A meleedwarf bled to death.

The Ugly: 6 months of post-siege cleanup.

We've finished off the artificial river island, Elephant Island, and the underground river. Unfortunately, despite being in direct contact with the river, we cannot fish from the underground river. Not even pond fish. Nevertheless, we created a somewhat shielded fishing spot at the tip of the trunk of the island.

We've pierced the first cavern and have begun securing it. We've got a security checkpoint, multiple washing troughs, some FOB lodgings and stockpiles, LOS breaks, and a checkerboard--all caravan certified. Two forgotten beasts are trapped by trees, one of which due to lacking wings (it gets harassed by a giant bat every now and then). The checkerboard has proven itself useful by making webspitting forgotten beasts much less effective at trapping soldiers in webs.

We've also setup a rudimentary minecart route to the first cavern to ease the hauling workload. A population cap of 100 dwarves, and 55% military at 67% active, do not make hauling easy.

Oh, and we're overflowing in bars and goblinite. The caverns must burn.

We've also built a clear glass greenhouse, so now we can supplement our clothing industry with rope reed. Milling has also screwed us over a bit. We have had tons of dimple cups, but we milled mostly non-dye plants. That has been fixed now.

I've furthermore learned that adding "DRINK-MAT-producing" to your milling job plant reagent condition can reduce cancellation spam when separating dye plants from the rest. Only creates problems with oats (non-dye plant, millable but non-brewable) and sliver barb (dye plant, millable and brewable).

Slowly, we'll work our way to the magma.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56281 on: October 03, 2021, 04:59:12 am »

I've furthermore learned that adding "DRINK-MAT-producing" to your milling job plant reagent condition can reduce cancellation spam when separating dye plants from the rest. Only creates problems with oats (non-dye plant, millable but non-brewable) and sliver barb (dye plant, millable and brewable).

you could also set up stockpiles that only allow dye plants to feed the dye mills, and set the querns/millstones to take from those piles. You'll also need them to take from a furniture stockpile containing only bags.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56282 on: October 03, 2021, 07:29:06 am »

That's the separation I mentioned, yes. But without a job manager, you'll quickly use up all the bags (unless you do funky minecart wizardry) or overproduce. And without an additional plant reagent condition, you'll get cancellation spam since you are counting more than just the dye plants.

So for the non-dye mills, you use "Millable DRINK-MAT-producing plants", and for the dye mills you use the dye plant itself.

There are only four dye plants, and many more non-dye millable plants. Much less work setting it up, though woe be your manager :P.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #56283 on: October 03, 2021, 01:56:18 pm »

Surfaces forts are a very cool challenge and it is very fun to do them, but it is significantly harder to wall off yourself. It is also harder still if you delayed setting up a military because you built a beautiful wall that the elves paid for, since due to the elven funding you ignored felling the trees on the outside of the fort, providing a neat way to just walk in through the branches. I'll just set a room for refuse and hope for the best.
In a time before time, I had a name.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56284 on: October 04, 2021, 09:29:16 am »

Oh no.

The urge to declare Exterminatus intensifies.

EDIT:

See? Suffer the gobbos and the dwarves will immediately delve into heresy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 09:41:10 am by da_nang »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56285 on: October 05, 2021, 12:01:51 am »

Exterminatus is more difficult than it at first seems. The gobbo population will continue to rise with time, so you'd have to raid nonstop. So you'll need a lot of raiders.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56286 on: October 06, 2021, 08:06:10 pm »

Bastiongate managed to nearly exterminate the local goblins back in 0.40, but that was because 40 years of sending sieges took a toll on their population. They were down to just the demon lord and like 2000 trolls.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56287 on: October 13, 2021, 04:04:09 am »

I'm again trying out magma mist generators as a siege defence. On the first test something clearly went wrong; I didn't see what happened but there is now an eternally burning Goblin Maceman swimming in my magma works. He isn't melting or even drowning, and seems actually quite content despite being on fire.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56288 on: October 13, 2021, 04:10:45 am »

"I was burned badly... I'm not annoyed by this"

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56289 on: October 13, 2021, 04:38:26 am »

He is on fire, but not actually burning per se, meaning he is not bleeding or melting or otherwise injured. His gear will soon reach melting temperatures, though.

I didn't plan on fishing anything out of that part of the magma system so there's no way to drain those tunnels. Also the siege won't end as long as he's down there.

My fault, should have prepared for magma-proof super goblins getting stuck in the pipes.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #56290 on: October 13, 2021, 05:09:58 am »

A goblin siege arrived and because there were still bugged merchants stuck at my trade depot I decided to order everyone inside and hope that these problems would sort each other out. The merchant guards seem to have routed the goblins and now there is a wagon taking off in the opposite direction. It worked! Now I'll just need to actually fight the next siege...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56291 on: October 13, 2021, 09:18:26 am »

Got to love merchant guards, the unsung heroes of fortresses since time immemorial

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56292 on: October 13, 2021, 09:42:17 am »

In the 17th year of Gravearmor, migrations have died out a few years ago, we became the mountainhome and the king, consort, and 4 guards arrived. Fortunately the king only demands rings and isn't a nuisance.

Population is 294 including 12 humans.  Things had gotten a bit boring, so we're working on opening up access to the entire first cave level to cut mushroom trees and deal with the 6 forgotten beasts that are wandering there, mostly trapped in remote locations by the trees.

Two woodcutters were killed in the process, one fell off a cliff and drowned, the other killed by a flame-breathing beast.  The beast also killed another beast before being dispatched by the military with no further losses.

The clearing of the caves will continue.

(edit: 4 FB's remain, waiting for release)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:56:21 am by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56293 on: October 13, 2021, 09:55:07 am »

Godspeed you brave cavern dwellers and lumberjacks of renown'

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56294 on: October 13, 2021, 11:59:54 am »

Godspeed you brave cavern dwellers and lumberjacks of renown'
Indeed !!!

Year 18 and Gravearmor dwarves continue clearing the first cave (5x5 embark). A new mud FB breathes dust on 3 dwarves that makes them bleed to death rapidly after they killed it. As more dwarves came to pick up the dead and their equipment, 3 more die from touching the dust before I could forbid and restrict the area.

During this, the human woodcutter that had drowned came back to life and caused a dwarf to fall into the water and drown. And of course, the fire-breathing FB's corpse came back and started fighting too, but it was weak.

Somehow a dwarf ended up on the top of a tower-cap 10 tiles away from shore with no way to reach him. He's trying to sleep but can't because of "dangerous terrain", lol.

Then the 6 dwarves that were dusted to death began reanimating, so I stationed 4 squads near them and the bodies and heads were dispatched easily.

The queen gave birth to a baby boy!

I'd be complaining about losing legendary dwarves, but literally everyone that's not a woodcutter or miner or child is a legendary warrior wearing full armor, mostly steel. The young that turn 12 are drafted into a squad but don't have weapons yet.

The boredom has been lifted!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 3751 3752 [3753] 3754 3755 ... 3835