Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3754 3755 [3756] 3757 3758 ... 3765

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 4546224 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56325 on: October 16, 2021, 05:47:54 pm »

Gravearmor is in the late part of the 18th year and all the FB's have been "liberated" except for one... a huge one-eyed ass with wings and poison gas, lol.  The description doesn't tell, but I'd bet its eye is brown.  The dwarfs are tunneling and constructing a walkway over the water to reach the area and chop down a mushroom to set it free.

Population is 282  (255 adults, 22 kids, 5 babies)
Military:
 40 regular dorfs
 22 crossbow dorfs
  5 kings guards
108 militia
  8 youngsters

Just had a hydra come and it was anti-climactic as it got chopped up in a trap and fell in a cage.  Gonna have to set it free in the danger room... I wonder if the youngsters could take it down?
The monster on the bed that you're hiding under

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56326 on: October 17, 2021, 01:47:48 pm »

You guessed it... the huge donkey-thing has passed on, it's an ex-being.
The hydra?  My confidence in the youngsters wasn't high so the king's guard had fun with it.
Now to finish connecting the entire cave with walkways to clear the remote portions of refuse, it helps FPS.
The monster on the bed that you're hiding under

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56327 on: October 17, 2021, 02:17:17 pm »

Hydras are for wearing hats and being good pets

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56328 on: October 18, 2021, 02:32:04 am »

Started a new, tiny fortress immediately next to a necromancer tower (I mean it - from adventure mode you could throw an object at it from the fortress). I did the zero-item embark just for fun. Although, I've done the zero-item embark before, I hadn't embarked next to a tower before, so was surprised to see that all of the plants were dead (influenced by the death sphere from the necromancer's evil influence) which meant we had very little to do indeed. Luckily a river ran through the eastern quarter of the map.

A year of fishing, carving mussel shells and bones, and getting spooked by giant birds, Birdsrags finally got a caravan and with it, an axe and pick. No undead came to visit, and only a few hamstermen really needed to be handled. It is now a fully-functional, thriving fort. Shockingly, it might be one of my favorite ones so far. The image of 7 dwarves sitting under spooky dead trees fishing up lampreys and occasionally cooking them into biscuits, all under the shadow of the necromancer's tower has been persistent. Can't imagine the relief when the caravan showed up on the horizon.

Really expected this to be a throw-away fortress while I let my adventurers live their lives. Shocked it thrived - I barely know any of the dwarves' names.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:34:08 am by delphonso »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56329 on: October 18, 2021, 03:46:16 am »

I'm just here to fish for Armok's sakes

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56330 on: October 18, 2021, 06:03:09 pm »

I have a new challenge. One-tile embark right next to a necromancer's tower. Leave the max population where it is. Just roll up on the necromancers' doorstep with the intention of building a better tower than them and house an entire fort's population in it.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56331 on: October 18, 2021, 07:00:54 pm »

I have a new challenge. One-tile embark right next to a necromancer's tower. Leave the max population where it is. Just roll up on the necromancers' doorstep with the intention of building a better tower than them and house an entire fort's population in it.

I wonder if you had necromancers, if your zombies would fight theirs, or maybe at least your own intelligent undead might?  That sounds like a tough challenge though.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56332 on: October 18, 2021, 07:28:10 pm »

Your intelligent undead will, your zombies will fight you no matter what - so they're really only going to help the challenge be more difficult.

I frequently do 1x1 embarks for little adventurer-related projects (such as 1x1 fortress Bookcloset solely to make scrolls, or Musictrap solely to make instruments) they're completely indefensible unless you totally lock yourself in - there's just so little time from the edge of the map to combat starting. Unless you get quite lucky (like Birdsrags, I guess) and have enough time to build a bunch of corridors and traps, this'll be real rough.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56333 on: October 19, 2021, 06:32:56 am »

I'll build my own tower! With black-caps and smelters!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my Invisible, Inc. mods
« Reply #56334 on: October 19, 2021, 08:27:52 am »

I'll build my own tower! With black-caps and smelters!

That's sig material right there!  Mind if I do?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56335 on: October 20, 2021, 10:49:47 am »

go ahead

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • I am BACK baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56336 on: October 20, 2021, 11:38:34 am »

I'm building a fortress around the magma vent of a local island volcano.

It's...certainly an experience. I'm highly concerned about my dwarves falling into the volcano.
It's dice rolling time

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56337 on: October 21, 2021, 03:45:30 am »

I'm highly concerned about my dwarves falling into the volcano.

I've had an entire invading force cover themselves in lava recently. Also, some time ago, there was an incident involving a lava vent, a mob of kangaroos (Which became a mob of !!kangaroos!!), a hunters crossbow bolt and the human caravan.... Yeah. I wouldn't have blamed the humans for declaring war on me after that misunderstanding.

What I'm trying to say is that volcanoes are just plain dwarfy. Also they're !!fun!!.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56338 on: October 21, 2021, 08:31:24 am »

my first goblin "invasion" shot the grazers I left outside, then... just left.

a random group of deer wandered into my cage traps. One gave birth while still in the cage (couldn't be bothered to deal with them yet).

And the highlight: a group of grizzly bear people came, saw what my gatherers dropped on the floor for people to haul in, and... left the map with one announcement each about the "theft". I'm doing well enough on food, let them have their meal of... cherries, asparagus and celery.

Oh, and the necromancer who joined my fort in the first wave of immigrants is sitting in his walled-in office, being my manager and bookkeeper until I can find a better use for him. I'm trying to toss some scrolls I bought from caravans in there and maybe get him to write down his secret - maybe in the far future, I'll make dwarves who near the end of their lifespan necromancers?

Seriously though, the random grizzly bear men gathering group was the highlight today.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56339 on: October 21, 2021, 08:39:13 am »

Having said that, the next group of random wildlife is black bear men. Guess what they're doing! I wonder if the bear-people will all have dinner together, or whether they're cooking separate meals...

Meanwhile at the necromancer's personal library: no writing is happening yet. He's busy... pondering reproductive behaviour. in pink, so he won't be interrupted.
I don't WANT to interrupt a necromancer pondering reproductive behaviour anyway! Staying SO far away from that! You're alone in there though, so better make sure you clean up after yourself!
Pages: 1 ... 3754 3755 [3756] 3757 3758 ... 3765