Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3753 3754 [3755] 3756 3757 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786938 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56310 on: October 18, 2021, 03:46:16 am »

I'm just here to fish for Armok's sakes

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56311 on: October 18, 2021, 06:03:09 pm »

I have a new challenge. One-tile embark right next to a necromancer's tower. Leave the max population where it is. Just roll up on the necromancers' doorstep with the intention of building a better tower than them and house an entire fort's population in it.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56312 on: October 18, 2021, 07:00:54 pm »

I have a new challenge. One-tile embark right next to a necromancer's tower. Leave the max population where it is. Just roll up on the necromancers' doorstep with the intention of building a better tower than them and house an entire fort's population in it.

I wonder if you had necromancers, if your zombies would fight theirs, or maybe at least your own intelligent undead might?  That sounds like a tough challenge though.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56313 on: October 18, 2021, 07:28:10 pm »

Your intelligent undead will, your zombies will fight you no matter what - so they're really only going to help the challenge be more difficult.

I frequently do 1x1 embarks for little adventurer-related projects (such as 1x1 fortress Bookcloset solely to make scrolls, or Musictrap solely to make instruments) they're completely indefensible unless you totally lock yourself in - there's just so little time from the edge of the map to combat starting. Unless you get quite lucky (like Birdsrags, I guess) and have enough time to build a bunch of corridors and traps, this'll be real rough.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56314 on: October 19, 2021, 06:32:56 am »

I'll build my own tower! With black-caps and smelters!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56315 on: October 19, 2021, 08:27:52 am »

I'll build my own tower! With black-caps and smelters!

That's sig material right there!  Mind if I do?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56316 on: October 20, 2021, 10:49:47 am »

go ahead

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #56317 on: October 20, 2021, 11:38:34 am »

I'm building a fortress around the magma vent of a local island volcano.

It's...certainly an experience. I'm highly concerned about my dwarves falling into the volcano.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56318 on: October 21, 2021, 03:45:30 am »

I'm highly concerned about my dwarves falling into the volcano.

I've had an entire invading force cover themselves in lava recently. Also, some time ago, there was an incident involving a lava vent, a mob of kangaroos (Which became a mob of !!kangaroos!!), a hunters crossbow bolt and the human caravan.... Yeah. I wouldn't have blamed the humans for declaring war on me after that misunderstanding.

What I'm trying to say is that volcanoes are just plain dwarfy. Also they're !!fun!!.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56319 on: October 21, 2021, 08:31:24 am »

my first goblin "invasion" shot the grazers I left outside, then... just left.

a random group of deer wandered into my cage traps. One gave birth while still in the cage (couldn't be bothered to deal with them yet).

And the highlight: a group of grizzly bear people came, saw what my gatherers dropped on the floor for people to haul in, and... left the map with one announcement each about the "theft". I'm doing well enough on food, let them have their meal of... cherries, asparagus and celery.

Oh, and the necromancer who joined my fort in the first wave of immigrants is sitting in his walled-in office, being my manager and bookkeeper until I can find a better use for him. I'm trying to toss some scrolls I bought from caravans in there and maybe get him to write down his secret - maybe in the far future, I'll make dwarves who near the end of their lifespan necromancers?

Seriously though, the random grizzly bear men gathering group was the highlight today.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56320 on: October 21, 2021, 08:39:13 am »

Having said that, the next group of random wildlife is black bear men. Guess what they're doing! I wonder if the bear-people will all have dinner together, or whether they're cooking separate meals...

Meanwhile at the necromancer's personal library: no writing is happening yet. He's busy... pondering reproductive behaviour. in pink, so he won't be interrupted.
I don't WANT to interrupt a necromancer pondering reproductive behaviour anyway! Staying SO far away from that! You're alone in there though, so better make sure you clean up after yourself!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56321 on: October 21, 2021, 08:54:34 am »

Idle hands are the devil's playthings.

Sounds pretty relaxing - just some bearpeople encounters and animal-hating goblins. Could be worse!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #56322 on: October 21, 2021, 10:15:05 am »

I'm highly concerned about my dwarves falling into the volcano.

I've had an entire invading force cover themselves in lava recently. Also, some time ago, there was an incident involving a lava vent, a mob of kangaroos (Which became a mob of !!kangaroos!!), a hunters crossbow bolt and the human caravan.... Yeah. I wouldn't have blamed the humans for declaring war on me after that misunderstanding.

What I'm trying to say is that volcanoes are just plain dwarfy. Also they're !!fun!!.

My long-term plan is to tunnel through the vent all the way to HFS. It'll involve a lot of waterworks and almost certainly some dead dwarves, but it'll be an adventure.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56323 on: October 21, 2021, 03:23:55 pm »

The open-door policy (with no drawbridges) to the caves is pretty fun.  After the entire 1st cavern has been linked up and the FB's killed, we've had a 2nd Bronze Colossus get caged, and a flying, webbing, poisonous spider nearly cause a disaster. The rapid response of 3 squads got there just in time before it flew into the main area, and while 4 dwarfs and a cat got webbed, a withering volley of bolts followed by the top squad's charge killed it.  Two head off to the hospital, one of whom died on the way.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56324 on: October 21, 2021, 04:52:02 pm »

And the highlight: a group of grizzly bear people came, saw what my gatherers dropped on the floor for people to haul in, and... left the map with one announcement each about the "theft". I'm doing well enough on food, let them have their meal of... cherries, asparagus and celery.

Seriously though, the random grizzly bear men gathering group was the highlight today.
Having said that, the next group of random wildlife is black bear men. Guess what they're doing! I wonder if the bear-people will all have dinner together, or whether they're cooking separate meals...

They're gathering food for the Teddy Bear Picnic of course!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 ... 3753 3754 [3755] 3756 3757 ... 3835