Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3754 3755 [3756] 3757 3758 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787618 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56325 on: October 23, 2021, 02:23:14 pm »

I have resumed trying new & creative ways to break WorldGen, and just found the most extreme surface-to-cavern differential I have ever seen.  A strip of coastline where river meets ocean, between 2 different land biomes; 91 zeds from surface to the top of the first cavern opening :o  Even crazier is the whole thing has a relative elevation of zero, just flat beach & forest.  My custom world recipe includes [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:25] and [ELEVATION:0:400:1000:1000].  I really wish I could slice out like 50 of those zeds without changing the history or anything else.  On the plus side, I could easily get away with a 2x2 and still have resources to spare.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #56326 on: October 24, 2021, 03:48:13 am »

I’m beginning to suspect that embarking carefully in order to bring more food and drink may not be all it’s cracked up to be.  It seems to me, that if you “embark now!”  and then set up your farming, gathering, and brewing as soon as you can, that you can generate just as much extra food and drink in the time it takes the dwarves in the fortress where you “embarked carefully” to haul all the extra stuff underground…
Very late replay but my theory is that "embark carefully" is mainly useful in situations where you want to embark carefully. i.e. equipping a squad of murderdwarfs to clear out an old fortress that got taken over by an FB.

Embarking carefully on a temperate biome with no aquifer and plenty of metal is like using a tactical shovel to do gardening.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56327 on: October 24, 2021, 04:50:24 am »

Embarking carefully on a temperate biome with no aquifer and plenty of metal is like using a tactical shovel to do gardening.

Embarking carefully on a temperate biome with no aquifer and plenty of metal is like using magma to avert a catsplosion.  It's effective but not efficient, and if you do it anyways, you should at least come up with something awesome to do thereupon.

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56328 on: October 24, 2021, 12:40:19 pm »

It seems that letting the first caravan go unharmed is essential for immigration... I've just did it and got a migrant wave
P.S. Also raided two Goblin hamlets with a population around 10 each, which had resulted in liberation of 1 dwarven child and capture of 2 lamas, lol.
P.P.S. One of the dwarves went berserk after an unsuccessful strange mood, but was immediately beheaded by a nearby miner with a pickaxe. Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:58:58 pm by UristTheDwarf »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56329 on: October 24, 2021, 01:57:49 pm »

After several big immigrant waves, I've got my first siege and successfully repelled it. Hiwever, my only active squad is yet to return from an exploration of an abandoned monastery, and I need to somehow finish off a disarmed goblin dancer with broken legs who keeps getting in the way of my dwarves, spamming "job cancelled" messages.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56330 on: October 25, 2021, 03:13:31 am »

After several big immigrant waves, I've got my first siege and successfully repelled it. Hiwever, my only active squad is yet to return from an exploration of an abandoned monastery, and I need to somehow finish off a disarmed goblin dancer with broken legs who keeps getting in the way of my dwarves, spamming "job cancelled" messages.
Draft a rando if you've got a weapon. Draft 10 randoes if you don't have weapons. Then send them in with a kill order.

Gobboes not gonna run on them.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #56331 on: October 25, 2021, 03:24:57 am »

just build a new path and wall the goblin in, that's clearly the reasonable option

...don't ask me why my walls are full of dead dwarves and crundles.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56332 on: October 25, 2021, 05:30:11 am »

Repelled second goblin siege, now facing zombie siege because I had raided necromancer towers into past. Also razed several small goblin settlements into nonexistence before and during second siege.
No caravans because of this shit. Seems like I will not be able to sell all those precious spiked wooden balls anytime soon.
P.S. Yeah, that was a mistake to raid necromancer towers. Seems like my fortress is done. Will report what eventually happened later.
P.P.S. Yeah, fort was destroyed, although I've managed to kill the most of the undead.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 05:59:08 am by UristTheDwarf »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56333 on: October 25, 2021, 05:39:22 am »

Draft a rando if you've got a weapon. Draft 10 randoes if you don't have weapons. Then send them in with a kill order.

Gobboes not gonna run on them.
That goblin eventually got kicked to death.

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56334 on: October 25, 2021, 07:41:12 am »

Started new fort. First caravan and the first two hard-coded migrant waves had already passed. Filled the departing caravan with tonns of those awesome wooden spiked balls in exchange for shitload of plump helmets, food, drinks and weapons. Already dug through to a cavern underneath and installed the well here.
Embark area has a brook nearby, I wonder if I can weaponize it somehow?
P.S. Looted monastery. Got three books. Traded with an elven caravan.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:48:56 am by UristTheDwarf »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56335 on: October 25, 2021, 09:25:21 am »

Explored/raided another monastery. It seems that there is a weird bug which causes raiding dwarfs to drop off loot on the edge of a map instead of carrying it back to the designated stockpiles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56336 on: October 25, 2021, 03:17:56 pm »

Explored/raided another monastery. It seems that there is a weird bug which causes raiding dwarfs to drop off loot on the edge of a map instead of carrying it back to the designated stockpiles.
What kind of goods are they carrying?

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56337 on: October 26, 2021, 05:00:19 am »

Population had risen to 50 citizens or so, when unexpected FUN happened - human caravan was attacked by a werebeast while leaving. 2 merchants and 1 dwarf dead; werebeast was quickly neutralised by my militia but (un)fortunately they have dropped all the stuff from one of the wagons. I’m quickly running out of space on my stockpiles now. Unfortunately, those bastards gonna blame it on me, I think.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56338 on: October 26, 2021, 10:57:55 pm »

Letter to the Mountainhome, from the Mayor of your outpost of DiamondFishes...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56339 on: October 27, 2021, 04:38:05 am »

The Forgotten Beast Eddaz Luranan Bunsothelcur Koldad has come!  An enormous kestrel composed of pink jade.  It has a knobby shell and it has a bloated body.  Beware its poisonous gas!

So... it flies, has a shell, lacks gender, is composed of a presumably hard gemstone said to made of fossilized souls, and spews a syndrome-bearing gas when it breathes.

I'm very inexperienced with DF after like 2012 but that seems bad?  I'm going to assume that's bad.  If I had a militia I'm sure they'd have trouble with this thing.

Anyway my magma glass furnaces are almost finished, and my staircase down to them is fully sealed off from the caverns by walls... I'm *pretty sure*.  I guess I'll find out soon!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 3754 3755 [3756] 3757 3758 ... 3835