Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3755 3756 [3757] 3758 3759 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789556 times)

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56340 on: October 27, 2021, 04:48:42 am »

Explored/raided another monastery. It seems that there is a weird bug which causes raiding dwarfs to drop off loot on the edge of a map instead of carrying it back to the designated stockpiles.
What kind of goods are they carrying?
Artefact books.
Also, the population of my second fort (in this version) dwindled after several werebeast infection’s manifestations, mainly because one of my well-armed and well-armoured militia dwarfs got infected and probably was running around clubbing people to death with silver mace or something.
From 100 to 15 in one year. Utter fun!
P.S. 8 dwarves now... Hopefully, the werecreatures are no more. Migrant waves are still arriving.
P.P.S. How I can ban "corrupted ones" from enterng my fortress?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:32:43 am by UristTheDwarf »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56341 on: October 27, 2021, 05:46:37 am »

Yeah, I've managed to seal the "corrupted ones" in their respective rooms. Let's see if I can rebuild the fort to it's former glory.
P.S. Rerired the fortress with 1 (one) child left. Lost cause. But I'm sure visitors will tell everyone some stark raving stories from the life of my crazy fortress.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:00:12 am by UristTheDwarf »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56342 on: October 27, 2021, 07:11:02 am »

Almost immediately after smugly posting about the forgotten beast, a giantess invaded by land with four legendary weapons (in two hands?):
Fiercebolts tThe Fame of Taking, A metal slab engraved "The secrets of life and death".  Nuff said
Fragmentblights, a chain made from giant swallow bones and black opals which I picture as the joints
Rainpaint, a cotton dress with two kills.  I picture this as the giantess using the dress as a glove
MirroredTrammels the Common Tactics, a serrated bronze disk enhanced with bear teeth and held, I presume, by menacing spikes of melanite.

I was pretty worried to say the least.  I threw together a militia and assigned them some cool steel weapons I'd traded for, but I guess they misunderstood "Kill giant with sword" and swarmed the thing.  She got two kills (along with my best fisherdwarf and her infant) before tiring from several gorey bites and lung-punches, dodging into a murky pool and taking a nap.  The militia held her down there until it was over.  Brutal.  Glad I have a proper well...

I'm erecting thick glass coffins by the poolside to commemorate the victims and the heroes.
Also I made my hospital, and the treatment of the survivors went well!  They were back up and socializing really fast despite some broken ribs and pale complexion.  I just hope the sutures are okay... the water is clean, fresh from an aquifer, but I didn't exactly have soap yet >.>

Also my well is incredibly stupid.  The main 2x2 staircase down to my dormitories has what seems to be a *very* slow aquifer leak from one wall, so slow that I didn't notice until I was digging rooms.  So I stopped digging the stairs down, allowing the bottom 3 z-levels to flood (digging out part of the stairs to allow well access from the surface).  The trickle of water filled it up and is now constantly flooding my living space, but soooo slowly that it's just a bit of mist and mud around the staircase.  Hooray for evaporation!

You know what they say:  If it's stupid and it works, it's still stupid but it works.  or something.  The dwarves *like* the water constantly falling into their living space so who am I to judge?

Next dumb idea:  Seeing if I can cave-in a tile of sand down to the magma sea to make glass production more efficient.  The ~100 tile commute through a single-tile staircase for the sandbags is kinda onerous.  That or I dig out a clear unimpeded drop and use it as a "garbage" pit, and dump ~100 sandbags (and maybe a captured creature) every so often.

Oh also I keep losing masterwork wooden crossbows to kea, despite setting up a guard dog at the entrance to the compound I constructed aboveground.  It's mostly just funny, but it got even better - there's a kea out there with an artifact bone pike now.  Begone fear!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:15:07 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56343 on: October 27, 2021, 11:11:15 am »

I embarked on a 1x1 site with a massive river running through it. I channeled several z-levels down to the river and now my fort looks like Rise from Titanfall.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56344 on: October 27, 2021, 01:40:12 pm »

New fort. Got this https://imgur.com/a/fMNCjDs in the first migration wave. This necromancy shit is getting really weird lately.
P.S. What shall I do to him? Will he raise zombie armies for me?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:50:14 pm by UristTheDwarf »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56345 on: October 27, 2021, 02:30:52 pm »

New fort. Got this https://imgur.com/a/fMNCjDs in the first migration wave. This necromancy shit is getting really weird lately.
Yeah absolutely. He may even be able to revive some of your dead dwarves as intelligent undead. Intelligent undead remain friendly citizens, undead undead are just hostile to all life and will continue to fight your dwarves. Use with caution

Artefact books.
Oh yeah those ones are trouble to stockpile, can't help with that one

Oh also I keep losing masterwork wooden crossbows to kea, despite setting up a guard dog at the entrance to the compound I constructed aboveground.  It's mostly just funny, but it got even better - there's a kea out there with an artifact bone pike now.  Begone fear!
Mama kea's got to protect her kids' nest somehow

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56346 on: October 27, 2021, 03:25:24 pm »

He will raise corpses (or bodyparts) near him if he feels threatened. Which he might be by a random wild animal, a goblin, ...

If you're lucky, he'll raise your legendary armorsmith as intelligent undead (which will be friendly, but unable to fulfill any needs - so quite slow eventually).
If you're unlucky, he'll raise your fisherdwarf, two deer, a war dog and a goblin as zombies. Which will all be hostile. Inside the corpse stockpile of your fortress.

What I did with my first-wave-immigrant necromancer was to put him into a room, then wall that room off. Necromancers don't need to eat or drink.
Later, when I had the resources, I moved him to a (still walled off!) section of the fort with an office, a temple, and a library. He's now my manager/bookkeeper, and also assigned as scholar in that small library. It has table, throne, bookcase and a coffer with some scrolls in it - so *eventually* he'll write something. When he's done pondering. And *eventually* one of the things he writes will be the secrets of life and death, enabling me to make more necromancers.

Why would I want that? Why not! If nothing else, he can produce squads of undead goblins to throw at inconvenient forgotten beasts. (also, necromancers don't die of old age, so I can keep old dwarves I like).

Anyway, put him somewhere he won't randomly animate corpses into aggressive undead because a wild giant sparrow spooked him. You can think of an actual use for him later.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56347 on: October 27, 2021, 03:43:25 pm »

The aquifer in my new fortress Goldfondled extents all the way down to the first cavern, including the higher levels of that cavern. I'm happy aquifers have been toned down dramatically in the current version, the situation is actually quite manageable.

What is slightly worrying is that as a result of this I've already opened up the first and second caverns within a month of embark. The first was unavoidable due to the aquifer. The second cavern was breached at the same time, there was a downward passage right were I cut into the first cavern.
I'm playing with the "what lurks below" mod so I'm quite sure I'll come to regret this.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 04:15:26 pm by Bralbaard »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56348 on: October 27, 2021, 11:14:11 pm »

I haven't been playing much lately, content to read and keep tabs on the community.  Then I started cooking worlds again, trying to break the gen, which of course lead to being possessed, as tends to happen.  Last time I posted a community Fortress was recording my first volcano.  I was overly ambitious in all aspects; 6x5, 100+ invaders and monsters, using modded enemies that were stupid strong (meant to fight maybe 6 at a time, tops).  I have since learned from my mistakes.  The site is 3x2, mods are far more reasonable.  Was not planning to make a story of this Fortress, but the first year has been so delightful that I wanted to share the highlights.  Plus for all that I profess my love of the Beach Fortress, I've never actually recorded any.  When choosing where to build your next Fortress, location is key.

Click to enlarge

And to encourage getting into the spirit of things

River meets ocean, pretty freaking cool, I think.  The minimap shows the divide of good & evil

Naturally, the wildlife that spawn in with me are all river-based.

Chonky Boi

This goes about as well as you'd expect.  At least the hippos are forced to retreat

R.I.P. doggo :'(

With 2 evil regions around me and zero elevation, I move underground as fast as Dwarvenly possible.  But not fast enough.

Yeah, it rains snot on the ocean side of the coast

Thankfully, this weather only seems to cause a brief dizzyness.  The Dwarves will pause for a moment, and I think one fell over, but they otherwise shrug off the effects.  And there are several ponds outside the rain area which serve as a makeshift Well, so the Dwarves can regularly wash away the snot, avoiding any serious unhappy thoughts.  In case anybody is wondering what life is like here in Lucky Nets

It's like that.  Oh, did I mention I'm using a few mods?  One adds some much-needed variety to Good/Evil regions, including giving Good biomes its' own unique weather

Neat.  I mean, staying the hell away, but still.

Work continues, and I am making exceptionally fast progress, if I do say so myself.  Although I have several megaprojects I want to try here, make no mistake; the amount of hostile elements I must contend with means I am playing to win.  While checking on progress of the surface bunker, I notice a herd of a particular critter I was really hoping to capture.  A mad rush for workshops later and...

Score! Those monsters might be a problem though...

Yeah, perhaps I've been playing too efficiently.  The game decided that it was getting to be that time.

Figures

The monster caught one of my founders, the farmer of the group.  I assemble the miners and woodcutters into a squad with no uniform and hope for the best.  I lose the founder, but manage to slay 2 of the monsters, the third retreats and actually runs away from my Dwarves afterwards.  Thankfully, the second migrant wave included a dabbling farmer.  Should be enough to pick up the slack until I receive another wave.  The battle was not without cost though.  One of the miners in the squad came very close to death by dehydration.

Get it?  It's funny because she can't

I go to check on her in the makeshift hospital, but can't find a trace.  Did she succumb to the 'extreme blood loss'?  Nope, after a few stitches, she's back at work.

That miner did not earn the kills, but she definitely earns a statue

My Dwarves have been working super-hard all year, so at the start of Winter I designate a temple for them.  Nothing fancy yet, but I set it around the trade depot for kicks.  Their inner thoughts are surprisingly on point for the situation, especially after my new chief farmer received a ... let's call it 'field promotion', following the recent attack.

The snot storm has gotten so bad that I can't even see the ocean anymore

Overall, this has been an incredible first year.  44 bedrooms fully stocked with crappy furniture, but the Dwarves are just happy to not be sharing the 7-bed bunkhouse I slapped together in the stockpile room.  First two levels of workshop areas are partially dug, waiting my orders to expand.  The peahens I brought with me have a room all to themselves, so I'll soon be cooking eggs with every meal.  I'm already planning an adjacent room to start training my turtles (sadly ran out of guard dogs, but they served their purpose).  By next year, I might even be able to start construction of the sand castle on the surface.  Yeah, I have a good feeling about this place.

Year 2, day 1.  Let me reiterate that in case you missed it.  First day of my second Spring, mere moments after the auto-save has finished.

Dunno if these suckers can break a door, so I've bricked shut my entrance at the surface bunker for now.  Lucky Nets is under lockdown until further notice.  On the plus side, next caravan is Elves, so that might be good for a laugh if the invaders are still here.  Thus concludes year 1.  I can't promise updates, but if anyone would like a Dorfing, I'm always happy to send community members to their deaths.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:26:44 am by Immortal-D »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56349 on: October 28, 2021, 02:27:09 am »

Got another necromancer. Slowly turning Dwarf Fortress into Necromancer Fortress, I think. https://imgur.com/a/NURxyJb
Found platinum, too bad I cannot make platinum maces.

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56350 on: October 28, 2021, 03:46:39 am »

Trade is unsuccessfull as of late. However, I've managed to secure regular tribute from elves.
P.S. Current fort is running very successfull. Population almost 100. 2 necromancers. A baron. Platinum trade. Tribute from elves. Peak DF stuff.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 04:48:35 am by UristTheDwarf »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56351 on: October 28, 2021, 06:17:56 am »

Population reached 113 dwarves citizens. Gelder-necromancer was elected mayor. Trade goes well. Attempted to raze nearby hostile goblin settlement with 20 well-armed soldiers, unsuccessfull. Lost a few dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 06:19:29 am by UristTheDwarf »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56352 on: October 28, 2021, 07:35:45 am »

One of the necromancers died while defending the fortress from goblins. RIP. Also, dwarves had come dangerously close to writing their own constitution: https://imgur.com/a/np5bmzi

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56353 on: October 29, 2021, 05:39:22 am »

Second necromancer gad raised horse skeleton for unknown reasons, and also a few undead rabbits, which caused minor problems, including her death. 123 citizens as for now, but no more necromancers.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56354 on: October 29, 2021, 08:45:25 pm »

During the scramble to get all the dwarves inside as a goblin siege arrived, a legendary miner was caught just as the bridge closed.  What they were doing outside has yet to be determined, and I resigned myself to accept that they were doomed to die a gruesome death at the merciless hands of the goblins who had just moments earlier murdered 1 of our pet cats.  But this miner was indeed legendary...

After tangling with a pikeman and literally batting arrows out of the air with his pick, he made his way into the trap hallway and to the safety of the inner fort.  I suppose that cat had given some of its 9 lives to this miner.

Also caught in the fray was a recruit wielding a bronze long sword, wearing bronze armor.  He managed to avoid every arrow and melee attack for 8 pages of combat logs while puncturing spleens, severing noses, and breaking bones until he finally passed out from exhaustion.  If it weren't for exhaustion, it truly looked like he would have held back the entire siege himself.  A rutile slab is being carved in his honor by the most skilled of the fort's masons.

Then a single legendary swordsdwarf wandered into the carnage and killed the remaining 25 goblins and breaking the siege.  All in all, 1 civilian, 1 pet, and the 1 recruit were lost in the attack.  Acceptable losses given the amount of dwarves who were caught off guard on the surface at the time of the siege.  The main issue seems to have been multiple gateways to the outside world where pathfinding was shorter to take the surface route rather than the underground hallways.  1 of those bridges will be kept closed from now on.

Edit: DF combat can be brutal.  The 4 caged goblin prisoners were released in the arena against the 2 swordmaster squads.  The goblin bowman missed 5 shots before 1 of the dwarves slashed his left foot off before stabbing his right lower arm off.  The next slash got the long sword lodged firmly in the goblins left lower arm.  He then punched him in the left lower arm before pulling the sword out.  That's the brutal part.  I mean, damn.  I hope to never be on the receiving end of such a combo.  After freeing the sword, he stabbed off the goblin's right leg and then slashed the lower body away from the rest of the goblin (not that there was that much left).  "The XX({emu leather robe})breaks!"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 01:08:05 am by Schmaven »
Pages: 1 ... 3755 3756 [3757] 3758 3759 ... 3835