Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3756 3757 [3758] 3759 3760 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865114 times)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56355 on: October 30, 2021, 12:51:27 pm »

Edit: DF combat can be brutal.  The 4 caged goblin prisoners were released in the arena against the 2 swordmaster squads.  The goblin bowman missed 5 shots before 1 of the dwarves slashed his left foot off before stabbing his right lower arm off.  The next slash got the long sword lodged firmly in the goblins left lower arm.  He then punched him in the left lower arm before pulling the sword out.  That's the brutal part.  I mean, damn.  I hope to never be on the receiving end of such a combo.  After freeing the sword, he stabbed off the goblin's right leg and then slashed the lower body away from the rest of the goblin (not that there was that much left).  "The XX({emu leather robe})breaks!"
[/i]

We once witnessed a Dwarf kill an Elf by grabbing the Elf by the Head and shaking until - as We recall it - the poor Elf died of Blood loss.  Very tight Grip, that Dwarf.

In other News, one of Our Dwarfs has been adopted by over fifteen Cats and We discovered that Roasts are heavy enough to cause significant Bruising when dropped one Z-Level onto a Dwarf.

crunchyFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56356 on: October 30, 2021, 03:31:29 pm »

Up above I'm minding my own business, I breached the first level of caverns but quickly sealed it off with *obsidian floodgates*.  And so I was wise as I am just beginning to put my steel industry and military in place, and those kenaf skirts the elves want to trade aren't part of the solution.  I mean bless them, their hearts are in the right place, but I cannot luau my way around a goblin invasion.

Down below appears C{weird-symbol}ututha, eerily similar to Cthulu, IMHO, who, to keep it short, I will describe as the bitch moth from hell.  (reminds me of an ex-girlfriend, but I digress)...

Cututha proceeds to chase after and slaughter everything larger than a bread basket fluffy wambler.  She spits webs, which is visually impressive, but it's her right foreleg kick that staves in the skulls of most creatures.  I've never seen such a forgotten beast pursue her targets with such tenacity.  Reminds me of the peachick who went eight rounds with a weremoose, but that's another post.

The stench in the caverns becomes oppressive, and I thought Cututha would reign supreme, but, lo and behold, along comes a trogolodyte who seems different.  Cututha has already slaughtered several, but this one has a name, Minarowabe, and she is not so easily dispatched.  Somehow Minarowabe manages to dodge all of Cuthuta's attacks and eveutually bitch-slaps the moth into unconsciousness.  As Animal said of Rita Moreno, "that's my kind of woman!" 

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.  Some B-grade Japanese monster movies come close, though.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56357 on: October 30, 2021, 04:53:18 pm »

–lmushenkos, "The Deferent Taker" Engraved on the floor is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves by Onget Ngot–nbesmar.  The  dwarves are traveling.  The artwork relates to the foundation of Glovemornings by The Paddle of  Glowing of The Ardent Seal in the early spring of 200.   
Zakgolusib, "The Spiteful Oat" Engraved on the floor is an exceptionally designed image of goblins and dwarves by Rakust ‹tebasmel.   The goblins are fighting with the dwarves.  The artwork relates to the attack on The Paddle of  Glowing of The Ardent Seal at Glovemornings by The Vice of Clutches in the early summer of 202 during  Etosp Slobu, "The Siege of Throwing".   
Engigbomik, "The Flaxen Vermin" Engraved on the floor is a masterfully designed image of goblins and dwarves by Tekkud NitigŠzum.   The goblins are fighting with the dwarves.  The artwork relates to the attack on The Paddle of  Glowing of The Ardent Seal at Glovemornings by The Vice of Clutches in the early summer of 204 during  Spusumuz, "The Disemboweled Attack".   
SobŤrgan, "The Released Dish" Engraved on the floor is an exceptionally designed image of Wadedpicks the Static Day the iron  crossbow by Onget Ngot–nbesmar.   

Pretty good retelling of history, so far, for my attempt at an all-crossbowmen-defended fort in the middle of the desert adjacent to a 10k goblin dark fortress with a dead dwarven civ.  8)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56358 on: October 30, 2021, 04:59:42 pm »

Pretty good retelling of history, so far, for my attempt at an all-crossbowmen-defended fort in the middle of the desert adjacent to a 10k goblin dark fortress with a dead dwarven civ.  8)

Do you have your crossbowmen shooting from somewhere on the surface, or from an underground area?  Looks like they've been doing well so far based on those engravings :)

In my fort, the humans just brought a record 7 wagons to trade!  I can't prove it, but I suspect giving them a 10x profit margin for a few years is to thank for their size.
Spoiler: Caravan (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 05:33:50 pm by Schmaven »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56359 on: October 30, 2021, 05:27:07 pm »

On the surface.  I built an invader path around a stockpile of ammunition, surrounded by fortifications and a trench.  Seems to work pretty well.

In practice, it's effective enough I will make it four sided, next time (wrap the path around completely) and have a door in each corner, to give the trolls time to stop and turn into pincushions.  :P
Wow, though, can those crossbow dwarves go through the ammo.  1k bolts? not enough.  2k bolts? not enough.

EDIT: Checked the fort weapon status.. this one is the best of the lot, although most of them have 'Slayer' status:
  iron crossbow   
This is a masterful iron crossbow created by Uvash Athelikal. 
One Notable  Kill
Olng” Hateclutches the goblin, d. 202

Fourteen Other  Kills
Two honey badgers ( ) in Glovemornings
One desert tortoise ( ) in  Glovemornings
One raven ( ) in Glovemornings
One raven ( ) in Glovemornings
One giant tick ( )  in Glovemornings
One giant firefly ( ) in Glovemornings
Three goblins ( ) in Glovemornings
Two  trolls ( ) in Glovemornings
Two trolls ( ) in Glovemornings

Slayer
The  militia commander Tekkud NitigŠzum, fifteen kills

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 05:38:15 pm by vjek »

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56360 on: October 31, 2021, 02:34:28 pm »

The necromancer Kel Momuzűthir has discovered the reproductive behavior of creatures.

Dang, thus ending my "he's having a months-long wank" jokes as he was continuously stuck "pondering reproductive behavior".
(For context: he's walled in and designated as scholar.)

But does that mean he'll get to writing? Giving me a dice-roll for "secrets of life and death"? Ha, I wish!

Ponder Foraging Behavior!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56361 on: October 31, 2021, 03:24:09 pm »

Ponder Foraging Behavior!

Obviously, the necromancer who's been locked in his room for months will provide great and accurate concepts and models of foraging behavior.

Then again, somehow he figured out reproductive behaviour alone.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56362 on: October 31, 2021, 03:46:27 pm »

Three of Our Dwarfs got stuck up a Tree, possibly chasing a harpy.  (Which they killed.)

We had the Tree cut down.

Two of the Three started prompting cancellation Spam.  One, an Adult, is now dead - killed by another Dwarf - and the other, a Child, is shuttling between two locations without actually doing anything also dead.  This is, somehow, not the result or cause of a loyalty cascade.

The third Dwarf seems to have successfully re-integrated into the Fortress, or at least is staying out of the way for now.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56363 on: November 01, 2021, 11:25:54 am »

At some point my necromancer DID get around to writing! So far, he's produced... an essay on some historical event, and a manual on mating. I'm ordering more scrolls from the caravan (though he does still have one empty one), and as reward I brought in a kitten for him to maybe bond with and fight his lonelyness, some statues so he has art to admire, and a few stacks of giant grizzly bear bone to craft when he feels the need to be creative.

Despite several unmet needs, he's now up to "unfocused", so I guess it helped a bit.

Also, setting up magma workshops is a lot easier if one does not go for "pump it 150+ levels up!" and instead checks the wiki and notices a simple "make steel/iron/nickel minecarts. Dump them in a hole next to the magma. Pump magma into the hole. Pump magma out. Haul the now-filled-with-2-magma minecarts to where you want your workshops and dump the magma into holes there" method.

So I'll save on charcoal now, and maybe actually start my fire clay and sand industries... once I've built an unneccesarily intricate system of minecart tracks. Manual hauling offends me!

... I might remember why DF consumes so much of my time whenever I get into it now.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56364 on: November 01, 2021, 12:29:50 pm »

After 21 years and 15 sieges..

The weapon in question..

Mishthemtekkudrobek, "The Scholarly Pick-Barbs", a iron crossbow   
This is a exceptional iron crossbow.  It is encircled with bands of exceptionally worked giant  lizard bone.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of exceptionally worked steel and menaces  with spikes of masterfully worked gold by Tosid Śtonbisek. 
On the item is a masterfully designed  image of point cut gems in platinum by Tosid Śtonbisek. 

On the item is an exceptionally  designed image of Inod Tealoar the dwarf and Snamoz Cursebewitches the goblin in beak dog bone by  Cerol Tunomfikod.  Snamoz Cursebewitches is striking down Inod Tealoar.  The artwork relates to the  killing of the dwarf Inod Tealoar by the goblin Snamoz Cursebewitches in The Rhyming Dune in the  midsummer of 29 during The Duel of the dwarf Inod Tealoar and the goblin Snamoz Cursebewitches.   
Eighty-Nine Kills
Thirty-two trolls ( ) in Glovemornings
Twenty-eight  trolls ( ) in Glovemornings
Seven goblins ( ) in Glovemornings
Nine goblins ( ) in  Glovemornings
Seven beak dogs ( ) in Glovemornings
Two beak dogs ( ) in Glovemornings
Four gray  langurs ( ) in Glovemornings

Slayer
The Elite Marksdwarf Rakust ‹tebasmel,  eighty-nine kills

Made in the fort, decorated in the fort, used to defend the fort.  8)
It does seem especially fitting to slay your enemies with a weapon depicting your enemies slaying your ancestor, with the image made of the bone of your slain enemies mounts.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56365 on: November 01, 2021, 05:32:54 pm »

Now that's a real artifact, even if it's just a named crossbow.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56366 on: November 01, 2021, 06:50:46 pm »

There's certainly been no shortage of dead bodies & trauma..  :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56367 on: November 01, 2021, 07:04:50 pm »

Just gunned “The Wondrous World”.

I wonder if it had any mouse men, dog men, or duck men…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56368 on: November 03, 2021, 09:01:48 am »

A lot of my dwarves in this current fort worship an leven forest god, or Force as it is referred to in-game, along with the regular dwarven gods

I haven't checked legends, but I assume its the natural force of the elves we are in an alliance with

I think its sort of cool to see dwarves who still have dwarf values and preferences, but perhaps have a respect and understanding of the natural world above them?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56369 on: November 03, 2021, 10:23:21 am »

A lot of my dwarves in this current fort worship an leven forest god, or Force as it is referred to in-game, along with the regular dwarven gods

I haven't checked legends, but I assume its the natural force of the elves we are in an alliance with

I think its sort of cool to see dwarves who still have dwarf values and preferences, but perhaps have a respect and understanding of the natural world above them?

MAGMA!!!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 ... 3756 3757 [3758] 3759 3760 ... 3836