Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3763 3764 [3765] 3766 3767 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787152 times)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56460 on: December 09, 2021, 11:04:39 am »

Suddenly had a random miner fall into a strange mood. Completely ignored it, he'll just do his thing, I think to myself. 2 minutes later I get the notification he's become king, and what legendary artifact did he choose to make to celebrate the occasion as he came out of the strange mood? An Olivine grate. Beautiful. Truly an artifact to hold in our hallowed halls until Armok comes.

Haha that is amazing. It is kind of cool he chose Olivine. According to wiki, Olivine, once mined and brought to the surface, will quickly weather (it's a silicate). So keep it away from water and moist air or the grate will soon be no more  :P 

I am currently in pursuit of this in adventure mode:

Slidewave the Umbral Blades was a legendary slate toy boat.

This is a slate toy boat. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with goose bone and encircled with band of giant cave spider silk. This object
menaces with spikes of giant rat bone and nickel.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56461 on: December 09, 2021, 05:52:12 pm »

(toad-edit: response to deleted post deleted)

Ive been making a new fort on my new laptop, got a new migrant wave with a very special friend;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Must have failed a strange mood during worldgen. Being a necromancer, he will never naturally die. I'm gonna try trapping him in a resurrecting chamber and toss some dead goblins in.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 04:05:25 pm by Toady One »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56462 on: December 09, 2021, 05:58:27 pm »

According to wiki, Olivine, once mined and brought to the surface, will quickly weather (it's a silicate). So keep it away from water and moist air or the grate will soon be no more  :P 

I often bring olivine and olivine mugs and pots and so on with me on embark (it's pretty) and it often lies around in and around the wagon for years before I bring it down into the fort. It never weathers. I wonder if this only happens if the olivine isn't an embark good?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56463 on: December 09, 2021, 06:08:49 pm »

Theres no reason stone items should weather in game. maybe he means wikipedia? There are plenty of real-world materials that corrode or crumble under the elements when exposed on the surface to air and water. pyrite, opal, and azurite all come to mind.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56464 on: December 09, 2021, 10:20:36 pm »

According to wiki, Olivine, once mined and brought to the surface, will quickly weather (it's a silicate). So keep it away from water and moist air or the grate will soon be no more  :P 

I often bring olivine and olivine mugs and pots and so on with me on embark (it's pretty) and it often lies around in and around the wagon for years before I bring it down into the fort. It never weathers. I wonder if this only happens if the olivine isn't an embark good?

My apologies, it indeed is info from wikipedia about actual real world mineral. Whenever I see stuff in the game I don't know about I like looking it up. From an RP standpoint I find it awesome he would not only make a grate, but make it from a rather useless ungrate-like material   :)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #56465 on: December 11, 2021, 03:52:36 am »

My apologies, it indeed is info from wikipedia about actual real world mineral. Whenever I see stuff in the game I don't know about I like looking it up. From an RP standpoint I find it awesome he would not only make a grate, but make it from a rather useless ungrate-like material   :)

how ungrateful of you!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56466 on: December 11, 2021, 11:37:32 am »

how ungrateful of you!

It won't be long before the puns grate on us.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56467 on: December 14, 2021, 05:05:32 pm »

Currently in the process of generating new worlds to find a suitable place to embark.  The sea in the far south of the world I just generated is called “The North Gulf”.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

voidOctopus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56468 on: December 15, 2021, 05:52:54 pm »

Got bored of this fort, so I'm trying to intentionally make it have a downward spiral. I relocated the corpse stockpile to the dining room :). Two tantrums so far, one of which was one of my Hammer Lords. He killed a dwarf (but wasn't caught), but was caught for vandalism and disorderly conduct. He was only sentenced to a beating.... but it was carried out by a Legendary Swordmaster. Yeah he's dead now.  :)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56469 on: December 15, 2021, 05:55:03 pm »

I decided to try and build a fortress losely based on the Channelwood Age storyline in Myst, as written and described by Atrus. I picked an embark site with tons of trees (lots of cherry trees, the dorfs and I like them for their blossoms), and very selectively chopped trees. I used the wood to create an entire tree based fortress. I built three skinny towers to preserve wood, making just enough room for a double staircase. The main tower stands 13 z levels tall. The "stem" or tower part is 4x4 and goes straight up through the tree canopy. There is a bird observation deck at z-level 6 (I see some really cool stuff flying at that level) and at the top level (the first z-level that clears all tree canopy, level 13) I first constructed a 14x14 tavern in the sky, I am working on making windows right now to replace some of the walls. It contains some decent statues and even a display case with a red panda boar figurine of artifact quality, that one of my dorfs made.  Above the tavern is a somewhat shady storage area where the tavern keeper stores rum barrels but where the expedition leader also made himself a small office and sleeping quarters right above the tavern.
The top level also holds guest barracks for tavern visitors and I am in the process of building more office space up there. There are two other towers, all three towers are set apart from eachother quite a bit but are connected to eachother on several levels using drawbridges. The two smaller towers are only 3x3 and only go up 8 and 9 z-levels respectively. I currently use one of the small towers for my chicken egg production (10 chickens, 2 roosters now). Building in the sky takes tons of wood though (floors/ceilings), and I want to preserve the towers being surrounded by trees and such. For rp reasons I don't really want to build up there with heavy stone.

To my amazement I started noticing that where the tree branches touch my buildings, dorfs have started using the trees to go down the building, though they always seem to take the stairway up the tower, they must prefer climbing down over climbing up.

Plans for tonight:

1) Build a pump stack attached to the tall tower and bring fresh water to level 13

2) Learn to build windmills and see if I can place some at the top of my tower, on a platform. Seems like it should by nice and windy up there

3) Look into using DFHack to place farmable squares/dirt on a floor surface up in my towers. I'd like to try and RP a story about dorfs that became tree-dwellers and gave up on surface life . I wish I could use the pit/pond command to not only move water but also be able to fill a pit or pond with farmable wet sand or loam or something.

4) If you can put dorfs in a drown tank and slowly raise the water level to 3-4 you can teach swimming, is there a way to teach the climbing skill by forcing dorfs to climb.

I also made a sparrow man in Adventurer. He is a Master level elite Biter and amazing bookbinder, I might try and link him to my fortress, Mobgem.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 06:01:51 pm by DwarfUli »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56470 on: December 16, 2021, 06:36:09 am »

That sounds awesome!

3) Look into using DFHack to place farmable squares/dirt on a floor surface up in my towers. I'd like to try and RP a story about dorfs that became tree-dwellers and gave up on surface life . I wish I could use the pit/pond command to not only move water but also be able to fill a pit or pond with farmable wet sand or loam or something.

To clarify:  Farmplots can be built on a dusting of mud, which is created whenever water falls or flows somewhere.  However, mud on constructed floor won't grow grass or turn into sand or other kinds of soil, and thus can only be used for farmplots.

4) If you can put dorfs in a drown tank and slowly raise the water level to 3-4 you can teach swimming, is there a way to teach the climbing skill by forcing dorfs to climb.

I am not sure what the climbing skill would do.  Dwarves seem already capable of reliably climbing along trees and rough walls, but they seem unwilling to do this to stop falling.  Climbing speed is, to my knowledge, unaffected by skill.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56471 on: December 16, 2021, 07:03:21 am »

Got to witness an epic tantrum spiral involving regular dwarves, necromancer dwarves (thanks immigration!), pets, war dogs, war grizzlies, intelligent undead dwarves (again, thanks immigration!), and hostile undead that were raised by the aforementioned necromancer dwarves as the brawl got out of hand. Dining hall, dormitory and egg hatchery are covered in blood. I think I lost over thirty citizens and at least two dogs in the wild melee, plus my hospital is full of wounded - so many that I ran out of cloth for bandages. I don't think this fort can recover because at least six babies and/or children were killed too, which probably means that their parents will go berserk soon too.

Oh well, the lighthouse wasn't anywhere close to being finished so not a big loss.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56472 on: December 19, 2021, 03:59:42 pm »

... the Queen (and bookkeeper is still gone (traveling) and the bookkeeping position is still locked.)

World year 28, the 23rd year of Gravearmor has seen a few more migrants and births, the pop is up from 297 to 322 citizens, including 11 humans. 

Just had a FB frog with poison that went down fairly easily but now 31 of my top military dwarfs have Rot and are faint from blood loss. Not sure exactly what happened as the frog didn't have dust or any other breath weapon, and neither the combat log nor the cave floor in the area provided any clue.  I hope they don't die, but such is the life of a dwarf.

The 1st and 2nd cavern layers are pretty much cleaned up, we're sticking to the "no bridges" rule and leaving the caverns open to any and all beasts and reanimating dead.  Now we're up to about 5 guild halls after we started honoring the requests a couple years back.  Part-time weaponless military training for the 40 miners continues.  Had another mini-siege by goblins.  Sometimes I think it's too peaceful.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56473 on: December 20, 2021, 01:27:11 pm »

I have a child prodigy dorf!  :D I couldn't believe it today! I had a 9 year old dwarven girl child create "Paintedlull The Rhyming Dunes". A legendary rambutan wood crown. Her dream is to create a masterpiece and she did it at age 9!! I have taken immediate measures and moved her sleeping quarters to the guild hall area. I have also mined out a library and built a craftsdwarf shop, both attached to her bedroom.

I assume dorf children eventually get old enough to be assigned tasks. I have very high hopes for Zuglar Granitehides.

EDIT: Channelwood as I call my settlement has become quite interesting, I have created several waterways at z levels 9 and 12. Carving out pump stacks from rock turned out much easier than building 12 z-level tall pump stacks from wood. The amounts of wood needed has been also quite massive. I built a roman style aquaduct to carry water from the river level, up 4 levels to where my structures started. This was 3 cubes wide but due to wood restrictions and time constraints (I also needed to work on my military) I switched to all other sky waterways being only 1 unit wide. I then used pump stacks to move water to different levels, and I created a large 8x8 pool area on level 12 near the tavern. 
It quickly became clear to me that I can't house more then 60-80 or so dorfs in my current Channelwood housing area. Creating large wooden floor surfaces above the tree canopy has proven difficult at times. Both in time and resources. The dorfs..they seem to dislike the trees, and prefer the damp underworld of the mountain.

I was pleasantly surprised when a 9 year old migrant dwarven child took control of the craftsdwarf shop and created a legendary wooden crown. I have decided to cast out everyone from Channelwood and make it the golden cage prison home of one person alone; the genius child Zuglar Granitehides. With some (quite a bit actually) hassle, I was able to remove all the other creatures from the forest towers, and trap her up there using drawbridges. The entire fort I am now creating below grounds has only one purpose; to serve the God Child in the sky. I created several waterfalls up there for her. There is an open area where I made waterfall pour down over some statues etc. I only allow her to eat the best food and drink I am able to make. She is housed in an area that once housed 50 dorfs and has private access to a tavern that has held 40-50 visitors. She currently lives on the top level with several pet ducklings. The interesting thing is that her thoughts already show "I am tired of all this greenery". I assume dorfs are inherently diggers, mountain creatures, not tree dwellers like the elves. She does state that she is relieved to have seen a waterfall. So that is nice.

I wonder what her isolation away from other children and dorfs will do. RP wise, she clearly will be running the show soon. In a little over 2 years she will be 12, I assume I can then assign her to my military, and I am sensing a coup in the making.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 05:04:02 pm by DwarfUli »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56474 on: December 20, 2021, 02:09:24 pm »

...I assume dorf children eventually get old enough to be assigned tasks. I have very high hopes for Zuglar Granitehides.
Yes, at age 12 they become regular adult citizens.
Pages: 1 ... 3763 3764 [3765] 3766 3767 ... 3835