Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3775 3776 [3777] 3778 3779 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787626 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56640 on: May 21, 2022, 02:19:09 pm »

Is there an evil biome near? An evil ocean maybe. Just check it out in the legends. Copy and paste.

I'd guess that would be a yes, considering that green square is my location, a neutral and extremely isolated island, but the sea it's in is pure evil.  The darker colors are an overlay using the Evil map from exportlegends.  I should be glad I decided not to embark on the beach because otherwise I would probably be encountering stuff way worse than these flimsy albatrosses.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56641 on: May 21, 2022, 04:06:42 pm »

Mined out all the adamantine I could in my little 1x1 embark area.  Broke into the underworld while mining, but I was prepared and did not lose any dorks.
 Slowly killed the demon hordes in my prepared trap halls, and now I'm trying to figure out how to build a stairway down into the underworld ... there is nothing but empty air between the ceiling and ground. ( I've never attempted this before ).

Set up my magma forges and magma glass kilns, no real issues except the occasional magma crab. I'll need to dig a protected lava canal once I have a few spare brave victims volunteers.
 Training my dorks now to produce good quality green glass spiked balls for easy trade.

My fulltime military ( 1/4 of my total population of 40 ) now have adamantine warhammers and shields :)
Note: copper, silver, and gold are the only metal ores this map has.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56642 on: May 21, 2022, 05:53:10 pm »

Is there an evil biome near? An evil ocean maybe. Just check it out in the legends. Copy and paste.

I'd guess that would be a yes, considering that green square is my location, a neutral and extremely isolated island, but the sea it's in is pure evil.  The darker colors are an overlay using the Evil map from exportlegends.  I should be glad I decided not to embark on the beach because otherwise I would probably be encountering stuff way worse than these flimsy albatrosses.

Good call on your part. A pod of undead orcas can be very nasty. They don't actually need the water at all, so they just hop out of the sea and skip right where your dwarves are.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56643 on: May 21, 2022, 06:19:53 pm »

The menfolk of the respected Nation made their first foray out, attacking a goblin castle and killing its leader, as well as swiping an original copy of a book someone wrote (an essay on why they should own an artifact by the look of things, bound in Star Sapphire no less!) An attempt was made to extort them, but didn't yield any results. I guess the survivors fucked off when they saw a gang of armored bandits show up.

Once the militia is full armored, I'm going to send them on a little trip to a nearby tower which has been harassing me with clumps of zeds (last one was extra bad due to more armored ones.) Got two hammer and macelords now, and 7 out of 10 dudes armored. I'm also considering opening my tavern to outsiders to try and attract mercenaries. Probably gonna have to, really, since the overall flow of migrants has been kept low and everyone with existing skills has already been enlisted. Plus I need a team I can train up to just be an expeditionary force.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56644 on: May 21, 2022, 08:28:33 pm »

My fulltime military ( 1/4 of my total population of 40 ) now have adamantine warhammers and shields :)
I hate to break it to you, but we call adamantine warhammers "wiffle bats" because they're absolutely useless. Warhammers are better when made out of a heavier material. Adamantine is so light it floats in water. You would have been better off making your warhammers out of silver or steel. Adamantine is for edged weapons, where its incredible hardness and sharper-than-monomolecular edge can be effective.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56645 on: May 21, 2022, 08:39:24 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but we call adamantine warhammers "wiffle bats" because they're absolutely useless. Warhammers are better when made out of a heavier material. Adamantine is so light it floats in water. You would have been better off making your warhammers out of silver or steel. Adamantine is for edged weapons, where its incredible hardness and sharper-than-monomolecular edge can be effective.

Also good for lightweight armor. So at least those shields will be useful (defensively anyway, they'll be about as useful as those hammers as bludgeons.)

The Holdstar Militia is now comprised of armored and expertly trained, blooded warriors. Gonna send them out to try and steal something neat from the local satyr population and if they get spotted, it'll be a them problem rather than an us problem. After a few raids and milk runs I think I'll send them after the only tower that appears to have made contact with us so I can destroy everything they love and cherish and break all thier undead toys.

EDIT: First raid against the cloven menace was a success. While a soft target, those make the best tactical training grounds. While two mastiffs were killed in action and one was injured, the satyrs were left badly mauled with thier commander dead along with several satyrs and humans (might be mercs, maybe visitors? unclear, but definitely not satyrs.) A collection of ecological texts were seized as well. Highlight of the battle was Gathre, one of the mace lords who went full Doom Slayer on one unfortunate satyr and tore his arm off. Hard to blame him, as pre-game legends dive indicates the satyrs and elves in particular (and another human civ) have thoroughly brutalized The Respected Nation.

Next mark is a nearby cave, about a day out, rumored to have some artifacts in it. Probably has a giant or something there too. Trip's been delayed a day by Acik, a hammerlord and so far holder of longest time in the hospital thanks to a busted wrist a couple years back, deciding he needed to take a nap first.

EDIT II: Seems the rumors may have been bunk, but can always check again later. Crew's going to hit another location while the local religious leader leads a team of handgunners to loot a monastery.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56646 on: May 21, 2022, 09:18:54 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but we call adamantine warhammers "wiffle bats" because they're absolutely useless.
Absolutely would be exaggerating, but there's exactly one use I can think of for an adamantine warhammer, and that is to give it to a hammerer, so when he "punishes" a dwarf in the justice system, it's as harmful as a massage.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56647 on: May 21, 2022, 09:29:22 pm »

Good call on your part. A pod of undead orcas can be very nasty. They don't actually need the water at all, so they just hop out of the sea and skip right where your dwarves are.
The island I'm on is so small I think my 3x3 embark may be one of only a few that has no beach tiles.  So I might find out whether undead orcas ever jump out of the water and travel a square or two.  I have a feeling of foreboding that I may not be far enough away from the creatures of "the Ignoble Sea."

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56648 on: May 21, 2022, 10:04:15 pm »

There is a bug where the biome of the tile to the northwest can exist above your fort... meaning tiles above ground level may be part of that evil ocean biome, which probably is why you have seen flying undead (PatrikLundell's showbiomes script would allow you to check, and he references the bug in that post). Beware of other evil biome effects that may happen if you build above the surface.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56649 on: May 21, 2022, 10:31:17 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but we call adamantine warhammers "wiffle bats" because they're absolutely useless.
Absolutely would be exaggerating, but there's exactly one use I can think of for an adamantine warhammer, and that is to give it to a hammerer, so when he "punishes" a dwarf in the justice system, it's as harmful as a massage.
A bit, but it takes a really strong unit to make super light stuff like that really and consistently deadly.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to make multiple trips before my guys actually find the shit that's supposedly stashed there. The cave in particular upon looking into legends holds (allegedly) a steel targe artifact and a legendary larch spear. The spear's just a prestige item, but that targe would make a great badge of office for a city watch commander.

A savescum was also needed, since apparently whatever the necromancers have at that stupid tower is able to overpower a full crew of weapon lords. Would be nice to know what happens with a togglable setting even if nobody returns so you at least get an idea of what happened instead of needing to manually check and see if there's any prisoners being held at the target location when they fail to return on time.

Just as well on having to roll back. I need to up my pop cap a smidge to fill a second squad to train in the off season.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56650 on: May 22, 2022, 08:16:04 am »

In combat, adamantine warhammers do about the same damage as iron ... yes I modded the inorganic_metals file long ago.

Not much going on in my fort ... the military has been training hard killing "pests", and trade has been OK but not always favorable for my fort's needs.
 Haven't lost any dorks to a Crundle swarm as of late, and everyone is eating very well thanks to my chef's extensive training.

Still haven't figured out how to build a stairway down into the underworld since there is no way down that I can see. Every once in a while a demon ventures into my trap halls and ends up getting killed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:58:06 am by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56651 on: May 22, 2022, 11:48:13 am »

There is a bug where the biome of the tile to the northwest can exist above your fort... meaning tiles above ground level may be part of that evil ocean biome, which probably is why you have seen flying undead (PatrikLundell's showbiomes script would allow you to check, and he references the bug in that post). Beware of other evil biome effects that may happen if you build above the surface.
Excellent suggestion.  Here's the output:
Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# cat showbiomes.lua
cat is not recognized. Did you mean catsplosion?
[DFHack]# showbiomes
biomes found: 4
Biome reference: x: 59, y: 9, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 62. Evilness: 94, found in the air only
Biome reference: x: 57, y: 7, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 63. Evilness: 79, found in the air only
Biome reference: x: 58, y: 7, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 55. Evilness: 71, found in the air only
Biome reference: x: 58, y: 8, biome: FOREST_TEMPERATE_CONIFER, Savagery: 59. Evilness: 60, found at ground level
Potential air biomes found:5
Biome reference x: 57, y: 8, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 61. Evilness: 79
Biome reference x: 57, y: 9, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 63. Evilness: 75
Biome reference x: 58, y: 9, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 57. Evilness: 81
Biome reference x: 59, y: 7, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 58. Evilness: 93
Biome reference x: 59, y: 8, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 56. Evilness: 69
This goes to show you should maybe contemplate on embark more than just your own little 3x3 embark.  On the ground, this is a dwarf utopia, with a volcano, plentiful metals, guaranteed adamantine, immense amounts of wood to the point that all actually useful trees can be retained while relentlessly turning the rest into beds and training arrows.  And one of the benefits of being on an isolated island is no cannibal hippies can get to us either.

The minus is only my own civilization sends caravans.  I wonder how they get here.  My civilization is a possibly dying one, with less than a hundred dwarves, and on top of that, I deliberately chose to be an island outpost of this smallest civ, which on top of that is on nearly the other side of this medium size world.  I'm not sure why my civilization is so weak, because there are multiple other dwarven civs that are thriving.

I generated this world with the advanced params (that I barely understand) specifically with jacked up volcanoes and metals everywhere, because I hate having to scrounge around endlessly for stuff and also a volcano means being able to build weapons and FTW machines with the potential of flooding your own fort in magma if you have an oopsie moment.  When I do that, I also usually crank up number of megabeasts and semi-megabeasts, savagery in general, and stop worldgen at 30 percent dead critters, so it is just barely in the Age of Myth (I like getting a kill that changes it to the Age of Legends).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56652 on: May 22, 2022, 01:34:28 pm »

Age of myth is the best period to play in. You get to fight and capture all kinds of cool stuff.

Population changes made, though for now I think I'll focus on building again. Got a few bee hives I've done nothing with, so I'm gonna see if I can get something produced there. Once upon a time a weirdly popular meal in one fort were biscuits made of royal jelly and olive pomace with mead, so that would probably be a neat thing. For whatever reason people really like mead in DF from my experience, with it always flying out of the casks fast as it could be made, as it were.

Assuming the fucking necromancers will leave us alone for more than a couple seasons that is.

EDIT: Necromancer band fucked off. Got a werecat later the mastiffs largely brought down by themselves (with one earning a name to boot) and even later, another Greater Giant arrived. It calls itself Subile Climatecontests the Greater and this one packing a lunite warhammer known as Trustplays, that it's used to kill seventy-one people, most of them elves and satyrs with the odd human mixed in and unlike most artifacts in this neck of the world, it's a true artifact presumably given to some noble or another as a gift or stolen from its original owner.

It also bears a mithril spear called Notchdrenched, The Crystalline Raptor. Surprisingly this one used to be owned by a satyr, suggesting perhaps he was a member of a human civilization that mined mithril. He only ever got one killed before being killed by the visitor with Trustplays.

The brute fell to the militia's superior numbers, a particularly hard blow to the face knocking it out, and the arms are  going on display in the temple, while the hammer will forge a new legacy in the hands of Acik, who dealt the deathblow to the Subile with a hammer of his own. He's earned a personal home (though when he's away on missions I'll need to make sure nobody tries to move in,) so he can keep his vulcanshard (basically crystalized fire) warhammer on display. Scratch that. In honor of the personal glory earned in striking down such a vicious foe who slew so many, he has bestowed the name Enasmukca Mubelihost on said hammer, translating to "Slimknots, The Mindful Rightousness."

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #56653 on: May 23, 2022, 09:37:35 pm »

I got a 1050-year-old world to go to the Age of Death, where a handful of necromancers have *allegedly* wiped out all civilized creatures, but I was able to play fortress mode. The necromancers have taken to spending eternity writing books with ominously fitting titles like "The World Without the Dwarves," "Did Civilization Falter," and "The Humans After the End." Were they actually musing on the fact that the world was in the age of death? I found a suitable spot on an island where I was out of range of the towers. Watching it in worldgen, there were moments where the cursed earth spread from the towers, but all of it receded a few hundred years before worldgen stopped.

Spoiler: The Fort and the World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Book Titles (click to show/hide)

I'd like to believe that at the bottom there, that tower happened to hold both "The Dwarf" and its sequel, "The Dwarf: Further Musings."
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56654 on: May 23, 2022, 11:02:07 pm »

I ain't fraid of no undead albatrosses.
Pages: 1 ... 3775 3776 [3777] 3778 3779 ... 3835