Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3776 3777 [3778] 3779 3780 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787219 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56655 on: May 24, 2022, 06:32:46 am »

My last fortress bugged out badly, so it was retired.

My new 1x1 fort is located somewhere I've never embarked before - the frozen wastelands of the south. I embarked on the frozen coastline as far south as I think is possible in my 500 year map.
As before, I have a strict population limit of 40 and "invaders" have been turned down to raiding parties ( yes I can still get Forgotten Beasts ). This time, I have a smaller fulltime military of 5 dorks, relying mostly on passive defenses for pest control & raiding parties.

The area I set up has no surface trees, no adamantine, no fuel sources, and extremely limited iron ore available. It does have some tin, and a LOT of copper. Should be enough for full bronze armor + silver warhammers for my military.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56656 on: May 24, 2022, 01:03:23 pm »

The area I set up has no surface trees, no adamantine, no fuel sources, and extremely limited iron ore available. It does have some tin, and a LOT of copper. Should be enough for full bronze armor + silver warhammers for my military.
I almost always use the stupid embark trick of embarking with plenty of cassiterite and tetrahedrite and the occasional oddball like bismuthinite because both bronze and bismuth bronze make great starting metals to get a weakish military at least able to repel common early game stuff.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56657 on: May 24, 2022, 03:24:47 pm »

A siege and a satyr attack have come. While the former, made up of human troops - a motley mix of handgunners and mixed hand weapons with supporting mastiffs - was at least mildly threatening, the satyrs, led by one Epeve Bravesnarls has come at the head of a force of ant riders with some additional supporting ants, while he himself is atop his gallant steed Sidaya.

The battle was won, but not without paying the blood price. Gogol Armorknights, The Humorous Anger the Hammerlord was slain in the battle, having been the closest responder during the off season. Had he not been herded away from help, he might have survived unscathed. Instead he was set upon and killed by the satyr's wretched animals. He killed three of thier giant ants and injured multiple satyr warriors before succumbing though.

However, the heavy hitters are still engaged and the Kingdom of Authors sent a mounted force up from the south, seemingly to support the Satyrs who attacked from the north. The partially-equipped Roasted Scuffles will have to hope they and some mastiffs can hold the bridge.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56658 on: May 25, 2022, 08:09:04 am »

I've breached both cavern layers, and since I only have a fulltime military squad of 5 dorks, relying on traps to deal with pests is vital.

Luckily the caverns in my 1x1 map do not have very many ground entrances. I walled off all points ground based monsters can spawn, except for 1 block, which is the start of a simple trap hallway. Each trap has 10 copper picks, an excellent weapon to dispatch pests.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:08:51 am by RLS0812 »

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #56659 on: May 26, 2022, 07:09:50 pm »

An ettin arrived at my island fort bearing 5 artifact weapons, an artifact bracelet, an artifact toy axe, and an artifact cup. It's kinda neat how since i can't send missions out to anywhere, the few invaders i do get can just bring the artifacts here when they raid.  :D   The two weapons he did the majority of his killing with had 15+ kills each.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56660 on: May 27, 2022, 12:07:28 pm »

About 20 years in now... Managed to slow the goblins down a bit after killing 4000 of them during four sieges. The last siege only had about 450 of them. Was up to 130 dwarfs once but battle and stress losses has brought the population down to 101. No migrants have arrived in the last 5 years and there appear to be no other dwarven sites remaining. One of the recent undead waves included two dozen undead dwarfs, so the mountain home could be lost. The dwarfs are being directed to the tavern in hopes of more children, as only 8 have been born so far and there are 420 large bedrooms to fill. Oh, and for music, there are masterwork instruments collecting dust in the tavern, as most of the dwarfs simulate an instrument called an "Izem" that no dwarfs or humans know how to craft.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56661 on: May 27, 2022, 05:05:51 pm »

That conflict was resolved 3 men wounded, 1 dead on Holdstar's side. Feels weird fighting the same race as what I'm playing as.'

I've also head to establish a city watch, as there's been repeated attempts at theft in town. I've fucked up potential for finding ringleaders though because two thieves had to be killed to prevent their planned thefts.

I don't care who originally owned these spears and such, I looted them from megabeasts fair and square.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #56662 on: May 28, 2022, 05:30:51 am »

Playing a fort with my LISA mod, got to the point where invasions are starting to happen. Had a handful of small attacks, one from the Joy Boys, one from the Infinity Franchise, and also one from Wally employees.

Two seasons later, a large-scale Joy Boy attack came.

They rode in, followed by a huge dust cloud - most on bikes, some with crappy junk cars, and a few on wheelchairs equipped with machine guns (as well as a handful on mutant cattle).

Things seemed rather hopeless at first, despite the experience of many of my fighters - the leader of my settlement, a baseball bat wielder, was gored in the head by a bull, and Joss, an over 70-year old martial arts master, was overwhelmed and ran over.

The loss just seemed to strengthen the resolve of the other warriors, though, and a Velvet-fu practitioner flying axe kicked one of the cars in half.

A spearman with a naginata bought from the Devil's Bath Yakuza attempted a similar thing, but didn't quite manage a full bisection - still quite impressive.

Sword squad captain however, did manage to slice one of the mutant bulls clean in two.
As of now, the siege is still ongoing.

Also, a small highlight from the Wally employee attack. Quite possibly the strongest unarmed combatant in my military learns the meaning of "plump helmet". Presumably he meant to go for the belt.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56663 on: May 28, 2022, 08:40:58 am »

Tunneled down to the magma sea, and dug out a secure magma chamber where crabs and imps can not enter.
 Established my kilns, furnaces, forges, storage floors, and metal working floor.

The dork who volunteered to breach the last block, surprisingly turned out to be from my first fortress ever established in this world. She dug out the last block and managed to step back just as the floodgate was raised where her feet where.
 Some magma got into the secure chamber, but not too much. My brave miner was splashed but survived with horrible burns all over her body.
 A row of magma safe wall grates where installed, the hallway into the chamber walled off, and the floodgate lowered. Due to the severe lack of wood in my 1x1 frozen wasteland map, it was a relief to finally be able to mass produce metals.
 A solid gold statue commemorating the heroic miner was constructed next to the lever, and will be forever a shrine to inspire my dorks.

In other news, all 40 of my dorks now have complete solid bronze armor, and silver warhammers. Unfortunately this is the best they can get as this map has no adamantine and very scarce iron.

Limiting where underground monsters can spawn to a single block in a now heavily trapped hallway, has lead to a massive surplus of meat. Last caravan left with over a *40,000 profit just from raw meats ( the gold barrels it was stored in also helped ).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56664 on: May 28, 2022, 09:14:19 pm »

While I normally like my city watch/fortress guard to all use maces, repeated attempted thefts of a particular artifact spear have forced my hand, and it's now the Spymaster (a member of the city watch's) new tool of the trade. The First Pregnancy and chosen Giga-Chad Isman Greatmuscles is the worst offender, having tried probably a dozen times now to hand off the damned thing. I'm also going to start giving people who've been caught or popped with the custom profession of "Troublemaker"

This has lead to several links in those chains being unfortunately lost, as to prevent the thefts, I had to kill his handlers.

There was also a necromancer attack which was repulsed, though one of the dust rats we had was killed in the process. Minor, but we don't have many of them. I can only hope I've been putting a significant drain on that tower's zed-power.

A wall is also nearly done, which means since we've got a river to block most of the way out to the south, we can probably lock down when someone tries to nick something else, Would be better to secure the south bank though as added insurance.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56665 on: May 29, 2022, 10:12:50 am »

My little fortress finally received it's first forgotten beast, "The Submerged Paddle" .
 It immediately started hunting down and killing pests in the cavern layer it spawned in. I found it strange the FB damaged itself every time it used it's gas attack.
  The cavern was sealed off, as my fortress slowly prepared to deal with the self harming threat.

After the uninvited guest managed to accumulate over 27 pages of combat logs, I sent my tiny army through the "airlock" system to put an end to the menace.
 It wasn't much of a fight, as basically at this point the FB had injured it's self pretty badly. None of my dorks where seriously hurt.

I think the name of the artifact weapon that dealt the killing blow was appropriate :)
- In a time before time, The Submerged Paddle began wandering the depths of the world. change hf state
0567-10-27 In 567, early winter, (27th of Moonstone) The Submerged Paddle was struck down by the dork Tulon Razorheavens with The Drain of Harmonizing in Frozenfortress of Death during The 1st rampage of an unknown creature in Frozenfortress of Death. hf died

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56666 on: May 29, 2022, 04:04:00 pm »

I started with a dwarftopia with a giant volcano on an isolated island at the tip of a chain of volcanic islands with metals everywhere, flux, one remote corner with a light aquifer, trees everywhere, and no knife-eared cannibal hippies to complain about what I did with any of them.  In fact, the entire rest of the map is completely inaccessible, although somehow the queen managed to move her capital here.

So far the only visitors other than some dead albatrosses years ago have been a giantess, an ettin, and a minotaur, all of which were dispatched comically quickly, the usual cavern vermin, and an FB I decided was better off not messing with after it immediately encountered a draltha, picked it up and shook it, and whipped it against a wall causing it to explode into gore.  Oh also it has syndrome blood but I have no idea what syndrome because nothing that's encountered it has lived long enough to have it take effect or for that matter even made it bleed.  It's also a head attacker if it knocks something unconscious, like a GCS.  No thanks.

Now the dark side of dwarftopia.  By far the biggest sect is the Sect of Crypts, which worships the charmingly named Nar Deathbone the Dead.  Nar Deathbone the Dead also created an artifact slab:  Deaddied the Fatal Urns "Nokorrash Odrozvucar," a legendary bismuth bronze slab with "The Secrets of Life And Death."  There are others of these but this is the one that was given to the queen of my (possibly dying) civilization, the smallest by far of existing dwarven civilizations, at less than 100 members at the start after 20 got killed in a rampage (including the queen who is the mother of the current queen residing in state at my isolated island fort).

Even worse (at least for me) was this third rampage of a really nasty FB, literally weeks before my embark, resulted in the loss of the slab, although other dwarves of the civilization appear to have copied it on numerous occasions, so one of those might show up I suppose, or a necromancer historical figure from my civilization, although those have been having bad luck lately.  I'd suggest they move to my island fortress but it's really impossible to actively contact any other civilization (unless I am missing something).

Incidentally a number of the newly minted necromancers created by the late Kib Containdagger, necromancer queen, immediately left and founded a necromancer tower.  It has a dwarf prisoner but I don't know who.

I also noted some of the zombie albatrosses got names.  One was called "Bloodballs" and another "Climaxgrotto."  Really?  Anyway they got names from killing a harmless bunny rabbit, their only kill.

So the previous queen was a necromancer.  And she went around telling practically everyone she met the secrets of life and death except her own damn daughter who is in my fort.  Also now that I have the monarch I don't get an outpost liaison so can't make trade agreements, so whatever they show up with, I'll just have to deal with (as in looking for copies of these books and maybe putting one of those gimmick libraries in that force copying and reading).

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56667 on: May 31, 2022, 06:49:56 am »

Another FB showed it's ugly face in the lower caverns, this time a giant tick. No dork was killed, but there where injuries.

I've walled off the second cavern layer, since there is nothing down there that is important, and ordered walls built around all underground lakes in the first cavern layer to prevent further annoying 'interrupted by' messages.

As the inevitable FPS death looms closer and closer, I've been training my craft dorks by having them churn out 2,500 orthoclase and gabbro figurines depicting the first fortress I made in this world.
 Making steel armor is also a high priority now. Since this tiny map has virtually no iron ores, the annual caravan has been having all of its steel items bought and promptly melted down for bars.

Before the frame rate makes it impossible to play, I think the last project will be a grand bedroom layer where all the dorks can live in "luxury" when I'm gone.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 07:03:53 am by RLS0812 »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56668 on: May 31, 2022, 03:12:39 pm »

As the inevitable FPS death looms closer and closer, I've been training my craft dorks by having them churn out 2,500 orthoclase and gabbro figurines depicting the first fortress I made in this world.
Right now I just want to get together a small elite squad of my best Foo Lords kitted in full armor and adamantine weapons (where appropriate), then open the circus maybe with a ridiculously windy trap hallway, lock a "volunteer" in there and do the last dig.  It'll either work or it won't and in any event, I can retire the fort and then embark on one of these necromancer towers surrounding the civilization's old capital (we have only two sites with a third having been destroyed in a series of FB rampages and the other also under nearly annual assault).

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56669 on: June 02, 2022, 02:20:32 pm »

My little 1x1 fortress on the absolute most sothern point of land in the world, has finally succumbed to FPS death. I may be tempted to write a short story about the interesting experience.
 All the dorks at least have 'grand' quality bedrooms to sleep in now, and the total created wealth of my 40 dork strong population was *5.6 million.

I have decided to try something I've never done before, before I burn out of playing DF for a long time. A 2x2 embark completely within a goblin fortress.
 I chose my location based on the first goblin fort I found on the map. It had a population of over 6,000 and was located in a sinister biome.

Population cap of 30 dorks, strict pop cap of 40, enemy raids enabled, megabeasts enabled.

I chose to embark on the south-east corner. No sand, deep soil and deep metals, + flux stone for once! Very few surface trees, no surface water, and a 3 goblin surface buildings.
 I found my embark site in the middle of a series of narrow and deep clay canyons.

I was expecting to be attacked the second I unpaused, but nothing happened. The goblins, all 126 of them,  didn't move around very much, and my dorks immediately dashed off to the tavern building.
 Turns out this goblin civilization was at peace with my dwarven civilization.

I dug around and under the goblin subterranean structures to start my own fortress, keeping my areas completely separated. I've also dug out clear surface routs to my trade depo to keep the caravans' pathfinding happy.
 Since the goblins don't seem to care, I've been slowly and 'secretly' killing small numbers of them to improve FPS and take their stuff. I should be able to wipe all of them off the map within 2 or maybe 3 years if all goes well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 05:31:07 pm by RLS0812 »
Pages: 1 ... 3776 3777 [3778] 3779 3780 ... 3835