Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3779 3780 [3781] 3782 3783 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861027 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56700 on: June 14, 2022, 01:39:48 am »

Decided to breach the caverns that I had discovered on Z-level -8 very early on in my fort. It's now probably ten years in before I finally decided to head on in there because I'm just not a caverns kind of person. Anyway, sent the miners to crack open the wall but before I did I made sure to station a squad of axedwarves down there and had at least half of them on site prior to the picks swinging. It's a good thing I did because a Forgotten Beast I had completely forgotten about swooped in seconds afterwards and was immediately pounced upon by my dwarves, who promptly carved it up with their bronze battle axes. Chitinous creature could fly and had a deadly venom bite that was completely irrelevant since it missed every attack it tried to make.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56701 on: June 14, 2022, 08:40:52 pm »

I've made a large dent in the junkpiles. Last dwarven caravan left with over *6,000,000 in profits ... mostly my massive backlog of earthenware crafts decorated with bone and random gems. Just to be 'funny', an elven caravan left with a number of crafts made from elf bones before that.
 The upper and lower cavern layers where fully opened and the entrances VERY well trapped. Discovered a third cavern layer in-between, which is highly unusual.

Right now the dorks are taking it easy. Just dealing with a few pesky raiding groups topside and random monsters getting stuck in weapons traps down in the caverns. 
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

WerePanda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56702 on: June 14, 2022, 09:09:02 pm »

It was going so well...

I embarked in a savage area (I think?) and built a taproot style fortress. The whole complex was oriented around a central staircase that descended to the first cavern layer (worst fortress design ever. Don't do it if you value aesthetics and knowing stockpiles at a glance). I built a small wooden hut to cap off the surface entrance, and it also functioned as a dorm for migrating dorfs without bedrooms. I constructed a mixture of bedrooms, noble offices, a small library, and an inn, all in the first stone layer. All was going according to plan until my carpenter got rip roaringly drunk and punched a dog. One thing led to another and now the whole fort is scared shitless of the two human and goblin visitors just because they killed a few pets in self defense. It was actually quite mesmerizing to watch 30 or so dwarfs haul ass from one end of the fort all the way to the other every time the goblin spearman needed a drink or a snack. This goes on for a while until I got bored and had to go to bed. I figured whatever, just abandon the fort and retake it tomorrow.

Next day I retake the fort with a few soldiers and clear out the stragglers ambushing me. I got all out industries back up and running in no time, and I hold the place for a few years. We became rich. Filthy rich. I'm talking masterwork quality mugs, bins, tables, baubles, toys, chairs, and everything in between. A kid even made a goblet out of lignite. How cool is that? (turns out, not very. It had a picture of itself engraved into the side). All this junk must have attracted the attention of the goblins we were at war with. We get hit with a big siege, and like 8 Ogres and a dozen beak dogs stroll up to the fort in addition to the legion of goblins. Now I had neglected to improve my static defenses since starting the fort. That is, I hadn't made any. I also wasn't doing anything with the mountain of magnetite sitting next to my never-used forges. So I locked the doors and quickly tried to pump out as many swords as I could before the ogres knocked them down.  I had a squad and a half waiting inside the hut for the invaders, and when they broke through we pretty much lost immediately. I mean, it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress if your dwarfs didn't follow instructions. The doors came down, and the squads took this opportunity to run outside and get annihilated by the archers and ogres. Amazing. We ended up winning somehow, with the last goblin invader being beaten to death by the mob in the inn. But so many dwarfs died (roughly 50 out of 70), that there was no way that the survivors were going to do anything productive because of the trauma. I also lost my gigachad carpenter and mason, so no more masterwork garbage for me. 

I'm going to retake the fortress after I figure out how to really optimize meal making and food stockpiling. I'm also experimenting with the brewing industry and trying figure out how to automate the production of multiple kinds of alcohol from the workshop profiles. Once that's done, it's game time.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56703 on: June 15, 2022, 02:47:45 am »

Well this is a first for me.

New embark, things are going great. 32 dwarves show up in the third migrant wave taking my population from 21 after two waves of 7 to 50+, which is annoying but able to be dealt with. The thing that is a first, however, is the human caravan shows up with a representative of the Merchant Guild and forms a trade agreement with my new fort.

I have never had a civ outside of my own do this. Years of playing this game and dozens of forts and this is the first one where I can request specific goods from the humans.

WerePanda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56704 on: June 15, 2022, 10:05:44 am »

Well this is a first for me.

New embark, things are going great. 32 dwarves show up in the third migrant wave taking my population from 21 after two waves of 7 to 50+, which is annoying but able to be dealt with. The thing that is a first, however, is the human caravan shows up with a representative of the Merchant Guild and forms a trade agreement with my new fort.

I have never had a civ outside of my own do this. Years of playing this game and dozens of forts and this is the first one where I can request specific goods from the humans.

Migrant waves are correlated to fortress wealth, so maybe other civs can detect wealth as well. I think I vaguely remember elves making an export agreement with me, but that was back when I was new and didn't understand anything about trade (still don't really).

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56705 on: June 15, 2022, 10:53:39 am »

The only goods I had produced at the time were about 12 jobs worth of wooden crafts and 30 wooden cups, so I don't know where they got the idea that I was exactly prospering from, lol.

Far as I can tell, the only thing this place has going for it so far is prase and nickel.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56706 on: June 15, 2022, 05:03:44 pm »

And now a zombie invasion has arrived. The only metal ores I've got are nickel and zinc. Time to seal the entrances and wait this out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56707 on: June 15, 2022, 05:05:10 pm »

And now a zombie invasion has arrived. The only metal ores I've got are nickel and zinc. Time to seal the entrances and wait this out.
Die with a fortress full of stylish, lime green furniture.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56708 on: June 16, 2022, 06:45:11 am »

It has taken quite a long time, but finally all 30 of my dorks have royal quality bedrooms with an earthenware figurine of dorks on display that is exceptional or masterwork and the figurine has exceptional or masterwork decorations in bone.
 These rooms generate an enormous amount of happy thoughts, especially since all of the furniture is decorated as well.

I've also been undertaking a special project to build "The Crown of Kings", an inn with very hard to make masterwork crafts on display ( outsiders don't steal these regardless of their value ).
 Workshops where setup right next to my slade stockpile, and my most skilled craftdork was assigned to turn all of the slade into the world's heaviest crowns.
 After she was done, all of the crowns that where not masterwork quality where forbidden. The most skilled gem setter was assigned to encrust the crowns with jewels.
 2 of the masterwork crowns ended up with masterwork quality decoration as well. They are both on public display in my tavern now, generating even more happy thoughts from my dorks and visitors.

On a side note: within a month of opening the new public tavern, a human scholar was visiting. Turned out to be a werechameleon. According to the combat logs, no one was bit thanks to the dorks who where getting inebriated at the time all using good armor.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 08:56:57 am by RLS0812 »

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56709 on: June 17, 2022, 07:57:52 pm »

A lot more dumping occurred today ... atom smashed over 3,000 unneeded items, and completed one of the most lop-sided trades with a dwarven caravan I think I've ever done. Unfortunately I could not get 60% of the junk I wanted into the trade depo in time :(

All of this is from very old trade goods and 'practice items' that where collecting dust in my old stockpiles.

pipyui

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56710 on: June 19, 2022, 12:03:47 pm »

Just wanted to share my most recent !fun!:

Year 4.
Spring begins with celebration as Patternedclasps is just made a proper county of The Royal Road.  Shorast Whipclamp is of course all too eager to exercise her new title of Countess.  Nobility, right?  Fortunately for us lay workers, her single-minded adoration of simple amulet trinkets is easy enough to please.  Unfortunately for the countess, she wouldn't live to see those amulets adorn her vanity.

Celebrations are short lived, left with the liason that brought them.  Goblins.  Mean, ugly.  A raid, from the east as if on cue, spurring a horde of Beak Dogs before them.  A formidable party - largest yet.  Our militiadwarves rouse into action, matching their numbers.

Blades clash.  Goblins and dwarves meet the soil.
And nobody hears the danger looming beneath.  Nobody hears what the loom has awoken.
Well, no dwarf living to tell of it anyway.

We know now the raid was a diversion.  A means to whittle our defenses.  And beneath the thundering of boots on the surface above, the loom begins to spin its dire web.

Yes fellow dwarves, you read me right.  The loom.  A fresh construction.  A workshop that begins its life tasked with a single goal: collect webs.

Webs like those in the caverns well below.
Webs like those spun by Sarek Conflictdagger, the Crazed Abyss, a forgotten beast long departed from our lands.
Or so we thought.

The battle on the surface has ended.  Our militiadwarves return in victory, the few that manage to return at all.  The fight was close.  It's only now we can hear the screams beneath us.

Familiar screams.  Obok Partnerpaddle, the mayor.  His face pummeled by great amphibious legs.

An enormous eyeless frog.  It has large mandibles and it undulates rhythmically.  Beware its webs!

Sarek Conflictdagger has returned.  Someone has intruded upon its home.
Someone has stumbled into its web.

And already it's too late to stiffle the damage.  Half of Patternedclasps is in the caverns below.  The guard is distant, sparse and battered.

Time freezes a moment as I spot the Countess.  Shorast shouldn't be down here.  The caverns aren't a place for nobles.  A green foot explodes through her head.

I watch as my friends and colleagues pinball violently off each other, one after another, thrown dramatically with each kick of Sarek's mighty legs.  The children try to flee.  Many stalwart dwarves try to flee.  But the slaughtergrounds are covered in Conflictdagger's steely webs.  Few escape its clutches.  I do.

And when I dare turn to look at the carnage behind - when nothing remains but blood and bile and an enormous, eyeless and unharmed frog - Sarek hops away, back, deep into the caverns of its lair.  A mind unknowable.

Today Patternedclasps survives.  Our numbers halved and haunted, but strong.
The caverns are sealed until further notice.
And the loom - the damned loom that brought us to our knees, almost broke us - is dismantled.  I personally saw to it every piece was thrown into the magma sea.

I hope The Royal Road doesn't rescind our countyship.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56711 on: June 19, 2022, 05:53:24 pm »

A baron decided to appoint himself in my little fortress of 30 dorks. The demands where easy ... ballista arrows and earrings.
 In less than a year, 3 elven diplomats decided to threaten me over the mushroom logging I have been doing. Their bones are now decorating many trade goods :)
 Atom smashed an ungodly amount of stuff, almost causing an incontrollable tantrum chain - that was interesting.
 A very well appointed temple was constructed for each of the 13 worshiped deities in my fort, and that was about the extent of what I wanted to accomplish.

My dorks are incredibly wealthy from specialized trade. Guildhalls to all of the crafts are built, and of grand quality. Temples to all the deities are built and are of Temple Complex quality. A grand library has been built, housing 51 artifact books. The public tavern is completed, displaying some of the best double master quality trade goods my fortress has ever produced. All 30 dorks are assigned royal quality bedrooms, and royal quality mausoleums.  Their privet dining room are also in the bedroom, and of royal quality ( I did cheat a bit with shared room space ).
 The necessary dorks, also have royal quality throne rooms.
  Clothing, armor, and tools are now all decorated ( mostly with bone and non-trade value cut gems ).

I became incredibly bored after running out of things to improve, so I retired my little fortress with a created wealth of over *93,000,000. At this point, I'm burned out of playing and most likely won't pick up this game again for a couple years. I may write a short story of Domas Puremine's exploits, but not sure.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56712 on: June 19, 2022, 10:08:17 pm »

Just wanted to share my most recent !fun!:
That's quite an epic start, do you have any plans for revenge on that web-spitting eyeless frog?  I think you should find a way to capture it and harvest its webs, or maybe release it on some invaders?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56713 on: June 20, 2022, 10:02:21 pm »

By DFHack was my fort almost undone, and by DFHack was it saved.

For context, in an earlier fort I created a mist generator waterfall that fell down in between the bedrooms and the tavern. Pretty convenient place to put it, I figured. Any dwarf going from their bed to food and vice-versa would need to cross through, getting cleaned as the water flowed over them into the grate they walked over while also getting the happy thought from it. I had created it from a single tile-wide source of water from a solitary source tile that was one of the spiderweb of cracks that sourced a brook.

I figured I'd replicate the feature in a new fort, but via using DFHack to remove the hassle of engineering a water source. Just used source add water 7 to the spot where I wanted the water to come from, it flowed into a 3 tile-wide ledge, then dropped a couple of z-levels to the grates where it then drained out one z-level below. Perfect.

Then I discovered upon exiting and reloading the game that I would need to run that script every single time I loaded the game, else the water wouldn't flow. So I engineered my way over to the brook on the corner of the map to serve as an endless automatic source of water.

Mistakes were made.

The water pressure and volume coming through from my tiny hole in the riverbed far exceeded the amount that had been flowing through the original single source tile. The waterfall turned from a pleasant sensation to the base of the Horseshoe Falls in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Nobody could get anywhere because it was dangerous terrain as 7/7 water cascaded down, the flow even overflowing my drain, no matter how much bigger I made the plunge pool and lower drain, it wouldn't drain fast enough, and that couldn't stop the flow above from getting too big. Numerous engineering attempts were made to limit the flow that came down over the ledge through judicious use of source add water 0 to hold the floodwaters back, digging wider areas, using constructed walls to limit the space water could flow through; trying to squeeze it through a single tile and then widen it out was useless because that did nothing to limit the flow.

Eventually, the solution was found by forcing the water to split its path by adding a branch off from the waterfall ledge to a second drain above. This managed to finally have the water levels going over the falls decrease to an acceptable 2-3/7, nullifying the dangerous terrain scare and keeping the plunge pool from overflowing.

Took the whole spring from when the brook melted until the start of summer to get that sorted out. Now I'll know for the future.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56714 on: June 21, 2022, 07:56:14 am »

Majority of my dwarves worship a death god called Momuz Tombburialed and he is depicted as a male dwarf
He is responsible for the dwarf necromancers in the world

My head canon is that he must have ascended to godhood after achieving his necromancer goal of ruling the world and now is the death god of the new world

Also my dwarves worship a giant fly
Pages: 1 ... 3779 3780 [3781] 3782 3783 ... 3836