Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3781 3782 [3783] 3784 3785 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842417 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56730 on: June 25, 2022, 08:56:45 am »

"Grown" implies that all of the wood, even decorations, are acceptable to elves.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56731 on: June 26, 2022, 08:03:44 am »

I'm building a hillocks in my desert embark
I'm basically just channeling sand to create hillocks buildings to build within and I made a discovery

Everywhere I channeled downwards can now grow grass and related plants
I thus could literally turn the desert into a fertile plainland by just channeling down one level across the map

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56732 on: June 26, 2022, 03:08:39 pm »

Everywhere I channeled downwards can now grow grass and related plants
I thus could literally turn the desert into a fertile plainland by just channeling down one level across the map
If a square is ever exposed to sunlight even briefly it becomes designated as "outdoors" and can forevermore grow surface plants even if you put a roof over it later.  This applies all the way down to the caverns and HFS.  If you like outdoor plants but not having to go outdoors, a 10x10 roofed over farm lets you do this and generally grows enough for a fort of almost any size.  That's usually one of my first projects.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56733 on: June 27, 2022, 08:34:27 am »

oh yeah and I knew about that and have made farms like that in the past
I just didn't realize the rule also applied to a desert embark
so I could literally terraform this whole map if I want and I'm tempted to do so!

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56734 on: June 27, 2022, 03:48:30 pm »

Swamp Titan showed up directly after a wave of migrants and at the same time as a were creature.  My military was able to defeat both foes with zero militay losses (and no lingering were issues from wounds) with only losing 4 migrants.  Also, the titan was supremely talented with his wings:  "The swamp titan grabs the axedwarf by the upper left back teeth with its right wing"

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #56735 on: June 28, 2022, 07:18:26 am »

The swamp titan grabs the axedwarf by the upper left back teeth with its right wing
It was a dentist titan, and the dwarf surely needed tooth treatment
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56736 on: June 28, 2022, 01:39:30 pm »

Swamp Titan showed up directly after a wave of migrants and at the same time as a were creature.  My military was able to defeat both foes with zero militay losses (and no lingering were issues from wounds) with only losing 4 migrants.  Also, the titan was supremely talented with his wings:  "The swamp titan grabs the axedwarf by the upper left back teeth with its right wing"
Be positive.

Your brave Dwarf attempted to rend the titan wing-from-wing using only his teeth. In retrospect, the front teeth would have been better for this than a molar, and the axe would have been best of all, but hey.

At least this one offed himself bravely, instead of trying to recover socks.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56737 on: June 28, 2022, 03:10:21 pm »

Be positive.

Your brave Dwarf attempted to rend the titan wing-from-wing using only his teeth. In retrospect, the front teeth would have been better for this than a molar, and the axe would have been best of all, but hey.

At least this one offed himself bravely, instead of trying to recover socks.

Oh, this brave dwarf did not fall to the Titan, upon being thrown by the teeth, get he got up and continued the fight.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56738 on: June 29, 2022, 01:05:46 am »

I'm running a reclaim fortress (generated, not mine) as a refresher of how to play after a few months away.

My squad of 9 are all speardwarves, and have trained for about half a year. Finally their time came when a feathered winged snail entered the caverns. I ripped down the wall and sent the squad out to deal with the forgotten beasts. I think their sparring has gotten the better of them, because they bashed the snail with their spear shafts and shields for a very long time before one of them figured out that she could use the pointy end and destroy the beasts' brain.

The humans were not on the map, and I presumed dead, however right after this fight, a nearby hillock was conquered by the human civ and then a trade caravan appeared. I think they may have been operating out of a cave or something. Glad to see them back.

Other than that, we're drowning in large clothes leftover by whoever lived here before and sent about 15,000 dwarfbucks in excess back to the elves, and these humans should expect something similar.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56739 on: June 29, 2022, 07:28:22 am »

I had a very bad FPS death because of unseen HFS lag.

Dang. Gotta use the reveal cheat more responsibly.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56740 on: June 29, 2022, 06:13:00 pm »

Because if the rather unfortunate cavern placement, I had to make rather unorthodox design decisions.

That includes the entire fort being pushed to the left of the screen. My symetry senses tingle constantly.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56741 on: June 29, 2022, 06:52:29 pm »

Because if the rather unfortunate cavern placement, I had to make rather unorthodox design decisions.

That includes the entire fort being pushed to the left of the screen. My symetry senses tingle constantly.

That's when you just build thousands of stone blocks and make the caverns dwarvenly stick to your original plan. 

I've been playing around with forbidding materials for strange moods, and training dwarves just enough in certain skills, and it paid off with an artifact steel sword.  The next goal I suppose should be to find some adamantine.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56742 on: June 30, 2022, 12:56:20 pm »

So I was trying to save FPS on the desert fort with fewer pops, but then the elves showed up and things got out of hand.

The elves! They tempt me with their wily ways!

Reaaally stretching what the fort can manage in terms of logistics as well. Had to halve the training sessions of my three squads just so I could clean up all the clothes the dorfs leave around.

And yet we're still digging out a massive tree farm because the caverns suck and FUCK YOU CIRCUS.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56743 on: June 30, 2022, 05:00:41 pm »

I found a cool dwarven civ that only has like three settlements left and is surrounded by necromancer towers and a goblin civ a days travel north

I'm wanting them to die off as a sort of clean slate for my fort plans so I'm playing a 30 dwarf fort of that civ and just waiting it out.

Meanwhile I'll prep this place for substantially larger pops and make all 30 legendary warriors for when we bust out and start taking over the region.

Highlight: Majority of dwarves naturally worship the god of death or the god of fortresses

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56744 on: June 30, 2022, 07:49:37 pm »

Finally dealt with my first goblin siege; I had made the newbie mistake of making my bridges incorrectly so they didn't seal off the entrances...  It's fine because I was able to send out my militia.  It's not fine though, because over 20 dwarves died and the sheer number of bodies has already sent one new migrant (who arrived almost immediately after the siege broke) into a depression (I checked her personality, she has no "is always depressed" traits, she just got that f@#$ed up from seeing all the corpses) while several others are having mental breakdowns, less than one in-game season after the event.

For the record, because I'm playing on a Chromebook, and having to use an emulated version of Linux to install anything, I'm playing 47.04-- and really feeling the lack of a patch.

I hope stress gets to a state where a dozen or so goblins showing up one time and then all dieing isn't enough to effectively spell the end of a game.  I don't think I'm necessarily that screwed, but...  Whatever.  Next autumn I can buy some flux, and then for the first time I can make steel.  If that works out, I can retire after I make a bunch of high-quality steel weapons and armor for an adventurer to use and go see if I can take some revenge against the goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 3781 3782 [3783] 3784 3785 ... 3836