Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3785 3786 [3787] 3788 3789 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844901 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56790 on: July 31, 2022, 09:06:04 pm »

You mentioned cutting down a tree that contained a jabberer... when you cut down a tree (surface or caverns), the "floor" in that tile is also removed and that can create a hole down into an area you previously dug out, then creatures can climb down.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56791 on: August 02, 2022, 12:07:21 am »

My new doctor thinks she's Armok's gift to show biz, and every other dwarf is cringe on two short legs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56792 on: August 02, 2022, 12:43:04 pm »

Every time I actually pick this game back up, it's because of a story in this thread :)

My new doctor thinks she's Armok's gift to show biz, and every other dwarf is cringe on two short legs.

The cheese represents society. Ugh, you wouldn't understand, her art is just too deep and nuanced.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56793 on: August 06, 2022, 05:36:24 pm »

A brief summary of the main goings on:

The surface was again designated to be clear cut
Old bedrooms are being deconstructed and traded away
Obsidian casting rolls on
A massive pile of empty barrels was found at the cheese maker's workshop and routed to the stills that ran out of empty containers
Level 1 caverns were lost as the only productive dwarf was murdered by their companion who went berserk
Level 3 cavern settling has stalled.  The 1 worker is now perpetually trying to meet with the mayor despite being locked in the caverns
Various animals traded for are now starving despite the butcher working non-stop.  40+ animals await in the queue

Also: The dragon claws the Farmer in the upper body, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the heart through the XXelk bird leather cloakXX!
The Farmer is caught in dragonfire!"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:29:49 am by Schmaven »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56794 on: August 12, 2022, 04:34:35 pm »

About to back up my current save and then up my pop cap from 300 to 500

My dream for this fort is a megacity and the only limitations are the computer!

I'm hoping my laptop can handle it. I'm okay with it running incredibly slow as long as it runs. Once you have enough dwarves the slowness stops mattering so much simply because the sheer amount of labor that can be done at a time!

As of right now we got a city in an artificial cavern layer that has a lake and mushroom forest
5 towers spread throughout the map to fulfill fort functions. The goal is for the towers to go from the top of the sky to the bottom of the earth with fort functions without spreading industry or living outside of it.

The towers have gone from Z-level 20 and have almost reached the surface in some areas with one already being five floors above the ground.

Going deeper is a lower priority with the only real incentive being rare monsters, trees and access to magma
I feel like the massive population desperately in need of living quarters and comfort will drive us to keep building beyond mere vision
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:43:36 pm by Maloy »

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56795 on: August 15, 2022, 09:08:28 am »

Picked the game up again after a few years. I forgot a few things, but that makes it even more Fun.

A Werepanther appeared and bit a random poet who was taking a walk outside before turning back into a human. I didn't take the isolation procedures seriously enough, so my fortress of 110 industrious drunkards was reduced to 3 people over a few weeks: The mayor, her child and a random zombie miner. After a few more days, the mayor went crazy and drowned herself, leaving a 9 year old boy with about 2 pages of trauma and bad memories and two more of "didn't feel anything" plus one zombie to bury the dead and rebuild everything. Urist McDeadguy just celebrated his 200th birthday and doesn't seem to care very much about the dead bodies and miasma, probably because he's dead. I hope, the kid survives at least three more years and grows into an adult, because "Flankblockades" just got interesting.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56796 on: August 21, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »

Hello everyone,
I got back into DF after a few years pause. In my new fortress, my queen just arrived. A bit extreme I guess, but she has no object likes, which IIRC means very few demands. I think I will give her a chance.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56797 on: August 21, 2022, 09:32:38 pm »

Lock her up!!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56798 on: August 22, 2022, 10:44:29 am »

Lock her up!!
But why? She is a great asset to the military. The only issue is to make armor for her. All the usual sizes are doable. But no "lavender blush demon". Although she is wearing clothes sized "lavender blush demon".

In other news, an Ettin came by wielding three slabs with "the secrets of life and death" and one dwarf bone throne as weapons. However the Ettin managed to do that. Didn't do him much good.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56799 on: August 22, 2022, 02:23:48 pm »

I didn't notice that she was a demon the first time I looked. You've been handed the opportunity to build a fort that will go down in history!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56800 on: August 22, 2022, 03:23:49 pm »

Chinchilla demon queen forever! She'll probably become distracted over time, non-dwarf residents almost always do, but otherwise should mostly be fine. But yeah, no hope for making clothes unless you open up the raws and look at her body size and make clothes that would fit an animal person of similar size.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56801 on: August 22, 2022, 04:04:38 pm »

I began a new fort today for the first time in a while, and named my dwarves after discord friends who are unfamiliar with dwarf fortress. Amusing antics will hopefully follow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56802 on: August 22, 2022, 05:01:26 pm »

Chinchilla demon queen forever! She'll probably become distracted over time, non-dwarf residents almost always do, but otherwise should mostly be fine. But yeah, no hope for making clothes unless you open up the raws and look at her body size and make clothes that would fit an animal person of similar size.
Demons are always 10,000,000 cm^3. It may be possible for them to wear clothes made for a sperm whale man, which is 12,535,000 cm^3. A giant's clothes may be a better fit, but I'm not sure exactly what creatures you can make clothes for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56803 on: August 22, 2022, 08:33:33 pm »

the list lets me make sperm whale man sized equipment, but not giants.

My fort had a siege, from a single squad of mixed races. Not sure what civ it is, actually. The announcement declared them as a vile force of darkness, though. They tore apart some dogs posted at the entrance, and a few ran away then, and then further inside attacked some more dogs pastured at the trade depot. One got caught in a cage trap, and the rest promptly started retreating. My guards caught two and butchered them, and a third was caught by the guards of an incoming caravan and beaten to death by a maceman.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56804 on: August 23, 2022, 12:13:36 pm »

Can't you assign the queen to the workshop or is she unwilling to work? She should make clothing that is her own size. (Works for my gremlins)
Pages: 1 ... 3785 3786 [3787] 3788 3789 ... 3836