Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3787 3788 [3789] 3790 3791 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838061 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56820 on: August 29, 2022, 06:12:24 pm »

Sounds like a pretty typical day of dwarf fortress.

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56821 on: September 01, 2022, 11:05:03 am »

Just a quick update, the armor experiment turns out successful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Time constraints limit the speed at which I can make such experiments.)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56822 on: September 01, 2022, 04:08:18 pm »

My goblins are getting drunk, and I don't know how. I don't have a tavern keeper because they had proven to be too lightweight to hold their liquor. But I just had one start a drunken brawl, and now I checked one who was flashing and she turned out to be dizzy and nauseous, and she's "unfettered after drinking".

Goblins don't eat or drink by themselves, which is a huge problem with keeping them. So I don't know who's slipping them the good stuff, but somebody is.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #56823 on: September 01, 2022, 08:00:45 pm »

Fun Times with Necromancy! My latest migrant wave gave me a psychopathic Legendary Diagnostician dwarf who wants to rule the world, and who knows necromancy. He even somehow taught it to my Legendary Stonecrafter and another guy, so now I have three necros running around, probably soon to be more. I don't know what the flip is going on, and I don't want to know. All I know is that my pile of sheared sheep wool hasn't started choking anyone yet, and I damn well plan to keep it that way.

Sulhythal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56824 on: September 11, 2022, 08:08:14 am »

Recently started playing again, found out quickly how rusty I am.  Ran out of time to get my farms up and ran out of brewables, and drinks by the time winter arrived and froze the ponds.

Dug down to the first cavern to make a well and saved 5 of my initial dwarves.  Helped that my first migrant wave had a necromancer.. bht not much, because it wasn't long after that she went insane.

So, for a couple of years I had a silent, endlessly staring dwarf just past my trade depot greeting anyone who came into the fort proper.

I should look her up in legends, she was born in year 55...

But, alas her long li.... existence came to an end when my fort had a goblin visitor turn into a were monitor in the curch, in the middle of a pleasant conversation.

After the conversation was over is when he started the bloody rampage. Several months later I had lost half my dwarves and isolated the remaining 5 infected were monitors for disposal, but the silent sentinel was a casualty.

Now, to rebuild my population and see what happens next

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56825 on: September 16, 2022, 06:18:19 pm »

I found myself making the same exact fort with very few deviations, having the exact same economic tactic (selling stone trinkets) over and over again. So I decided to shake things up for Steelflags and go buck wild on the design and taking the cheesiest easiest income tactic, copious amounts of roasts. I use wooden bins to store those. I have no metalworking of any sort at the moment.

So there was a giantess who decided to attack just in the right time (for me) and human caravan guards take care of her. Then the caravan couldn't move because her corpse was on the way. I buried her beneath the perimeter entrance with a bit of channeling and woodworking. Though, this isn't the main story. Just a tidbit I wanted to get out of my system before we get to the real deal.

Anyways, the elves arrive with their wooden shoes and splints and crutches. I care not for their obsolete armor and useless trinkets. I am interested in only two things they offer; the veggies and the giant animals. But there is a problem. There is no way of individually selling items contained in barrels. And the barrels themselves are from wood. So I halfheartedly sell them the few dozen stone cups the fort had (immidiately order some more to be made ASAP), along with bins of stone blocks (which was a giant pain to select individually since to the bins being all wooden too). Due to the combined effects of the cheapness of my products and the abyssmal weight capacity of elven caravans, I only manage to buy a measily few bananas, apples, plums and dates. Five each. I cringe. I'll have to gather plants to make more roasts I guess. Not dwarfy at all.

But just a moment after I close the trading menu, a minotaur arrives and briefly chases after some giant flying squirrels before heading to the fort. As it approaches, I check its inventory. It's completely empty. This bull-headed moron plans on using just its fists to fight. So I watch it beeline inside the wooden perimeter and just as it steps into the walls and the people take notice, a harmster thief is spotted, who quickly bolts to the gate, but is prevented by the minotaur and the elven merchants, the broker (who is also the mayor) and the passerby dwarves, who are approaching the said semimegabeast.

A fight starts and a pack of giant keas join in the carnage midfight. I do not know what exactly happened there (it was too quick and everyone piled on eachother), and I am unwilling to try and piece it together from that one hell of a combat report spam. But in the end, the minotaur, the elven merchants, the harmster thief, the mayor-broker and some giant keas are dead. So the elves' entire cargo of useless grown wood stuff is, well, mine now. I win in the end. The mayor was a total snob anyways.

The giant animals I wanted just because they had the word "giant" in their name turned out to be a giant cardinal and a giant wombat. Not even 50 meat in total...

DAMMIT-
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56826 on: September 16, 2022, 07:09:42 pm »

So, in keeping with the theme of Legends finds that make you say "wtf you must be kidding"...

I receive a notification "Dether Imoxidel, Human Butcher fallen stalker is visiting."  Name is pretty baller, but OK... undead visitors usually get the axe in my forts because they only visit to cause trouble.  Out of morbid curiosity, I go to Legends Viewer and investigate.  Who was this Dether person?

Dether was, frankly, a manwhore.  His entire history was a long list of "started a relationship with" or "married" followed a year or two later with "divorced".  Men, women, our boy didn't particularly care; he was just interested in sampling every possible dish on the buffet.  His entire life was one long string of this.  I was assuming after the eighth or ninth ended relationship that the townspeople chipped in to pay the local necromancer to take this threat to the sanity of the locals away, but no.  Dether died of old age.  But!  Word of his magic sexual powers had spread, it seems.  A necromancer revived him... and he then MARRIED THE NECROMANCER.  The D was so good, it got brought back to continue the sexing from beyond the grave.

Forget FBs, bronze colossi and other dangers... obviously Dether's dick is the biggest threat in the Wondrous Land.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56827 on: September 16, 2022, 08:50:20 pm »

So, in keeping with the theme of Legends finds that make you say "wtf you must be kidding"...

I receive a notification "Dether Imoxidel, Human Butcher fallen stalker is visiting."
Sounds like Butcher Pete has nothing on this guy.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56828 on: September 23, 2022, 11:58:09 am »

So, when do you think we end up becoming the bad guys in our forts?

Is it when you beat all your enemies? Or when you choose to expand your land holdings even after all threats are beat?

When you fully industrialize and purge the cavern layers? Turn HFS into a zoo?

I was just thinking about the inevitable turn on all my forts when I go from freeing the dwarves from oppressive enemies trying to destroy them to oppressing the world ourselves

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56829 on: September 23, 2022, 09:42:07 pm »

If youre doing it right, you were always the bad guy. Eventually youre just the only one left.

My testing fort has been running smoothly-ish, nobody's died recently. But frustratingly my scholars arent writing anything whatsoever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56830 on: September 24, 2022, 06:39:23 am »

I deleted my last fort after I had just kitted out and started training my very first militia squad (5 speardwarves; my militia command with level 3 speardwarf was the only dwarf with military experience in the entire fort).  Frickin’ muscle memory!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56831 on: September 24, 2022, 01:32:06 pm »

is the file not in the recycle bin? You should be able to restore it no problem

Speaking of, my recycle bin contained 35gb of trash. Damn
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56832 on: September 24, 2022, 07:42:34 pm »

I’m running Linux.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56833 on: September 25, 2022, 02:13:11 pm »

Ah, yeah i have no idea how linux works, only used an ubuntu build like once.

In my test fort, all my guards have sparred enough to become lords of their arts. Time to train additional squads maybe. Still no books written by any of my scholars. Only a few visiting scholars left behind (before i banned outsiders for absconding with our books) The trap halls are nearing completion, No big invasions, only one werewolf.
I make Spellcrafts!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56834 on: September 25, 2022, 02:36:09 pm »

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 3787 3788 [3789] 3790 3791 ... 3836